Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Honestly you could’ve probably built the Ratte in WW2 if say The US wanted to throw B-29 money at it. It’s not really an insurmountable engineering problem, just a very dumb one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mazz posted:

Honestly you could’ve probably built the Ratte in WW2 if say The US wanted to throw B-29 money at it. It’s not really an insurmountable engineering problem, just a very dumb one.

1) Take a destroyer
2) Dig a canal everywhere you want it to go

Problem solved!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Alchenar posted:

You know that any piece of military kit who's description includes the words 'as a stop gap solution' is going to be an absolute disaster.

The Spitfire Mk. IX was a stopgap rushed into service to match the Fw-190 and it wasn't too bad.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The Lone Badger posted:

1) Take a destroyer

Problem solved!

Actually

1) Take a destroyer
2) Put Legs on it

#Cybranlyfe

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Make a destroyer into a metal slug vehicle. Just slap big rear end treads on it, ditch the higgins boats and drive that fucker onto the beach

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Milo and POTUS posted:

Make a destroyer into a metal slug vehicle. Just slap big rear end treads on it, ditch the higgins boats and drive that fucker onto the beach

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

The ultimate tank destroyer.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tunicate posted:

The ultimate tank destroyer.

It's more of a battleship anyway.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

1) Take a destroyer

Problem solved!

Put that coal mining thing on it and have it dig its own canal. You have to defend the canal so the enemy doesn't dam it behind you to ensure that you don't run out of water and get stranded, but you can drive an oiler up the canal to replenish you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you get stranded on dry land, call in this thing:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

aphid_licker posted:

Put that coal mining thing on it and have it dig its own canal. You have to defend the canal so the enemy doesn't dam it behind you to ensure that you don't run out of water and get stranded, but you can drive an oiler up the canal to replenish you.

I think a tank that dug its own trenches was a Churchill idea

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think a tank that dug its own trenches was a Churchill idea

It sure was!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultivator_No._6

Also, I recently had a chance to ride and try to drive an IS-3 -

This is the same one that the separatists got running in the Donetsk region and was then captured by the Ukrainian army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgzvVMpHJ-k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCefihT1ss4

Apologies for the potato quality, but APPARENTLY, GoPros die in the cold. However my Pixel 3 recorded pretty good video but theres like 10 minutes of just driving around. Let me know if anyones interested and ill process and upload.

Also the driver position is super uncomfortable.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Battleships are basically water tanks when you think about it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

This is a good summation. I'll add to that and basically say that the armor was a significant force multiplier, particularly in Lam Son 719 when much of the ARVN training was still geared toward lower level counterinsurgency operations. Tanks were used aggressively and the introduction of T-54s was something of a shock(it drove the US to start providing M48s to ARVN, for example)

So long as US airpower was a significant factor, though, the concentrations needed to make effective armor attacks also provided very good targets for tactical air support and they were always very vulnerable and easier to spot from the air than infantry and artillery were. The AAA and artillery were the NVA's decisive arms at Lam Son 719, more than the tanks. In 1972 you start seeing TOW missiles which gave the helicopters an effective weapon against the tanks.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Alchenar posted:

You know that any piece of military kit who's description includes the words 'as a stop gap solution' is going to be an absolute disaster.

Either that or so adequate it stays in service for multiple decades.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jack2142 posted:

Actually

1) Take a destroyer
2) Put Legs on it

#Cybranlyfe

Yeah, but the Cybran also have great aircraft to keep their land destroyers alive. :v:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
apart from all of the other wildly obvious problems with the concept, how are you going to depress any of the guns sufficiently to hit stuff?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Launch torpedoes, obviously

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mazz posted:

On top of what Cessna said, it basically took every lesson the USSR learned in WW2 and distilled it into 1 vehicle. Not only did they (and others) make several hundred thousand over time, it is likely the image that comes to mind when you say tank for like 2/3s of the worlds population. It has been the single most influential armored vehicle, especially in terms of small conflicts, for the last 70 odd years.

There’s reasonable arguments for older vehicles like the Sherman/T-34/first real tanks but when you really look at just how long and widespread T-54/55s have been doing their thing and doing it effectively, nothing is really comparable.

Couldn't you also make a case for Centurion? Like the T-54/55 it's the first of the MBTs and kind of the grand-daddy of all subsequent Western MBTs. Unlike the T-54/55 though it wasn't built in nearly as large numbers, but its design was hugely influential and like T-54/55 variants it's still operated today.

Britain and WWII tanks is kind of interesting, they mostly seem to have made a whole bunch of crap during the war, then in '46 they made a vehicle which essentially defined Western tank design for half a century if not more.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Randarkman posted:

Couldn't you also make a case for Centurion? Like the T-54/55 it's the first of the MBTs and kind of the grand-daddy of all subsequent Western MBTs. Unlike the T-54/55 though it wasn't built in nearly as large numbers, but its design was hugely influential and like T-54/55 variants it's still operated today.

Britain and WWII tanks is kind of interesting, they mostly seem to have made a whole bunch of crap during the war, then in '46 they made a vehicle which essentially defined Western tank design for half a century if not more.

The Pershing definitely deserves some kind of 'underrated' award. The M26 is really just thought of as 'could have done with more of them in WW2', but every US tank up until the Abrams was some form of modernisation of it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

apart from all of the other wildly obvious problems with the concept, how are you going to depress any of the guns sufficiently to hit stuff?

Intentionally flood your ship to create lean, like the crew of USS Texas did.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Platystemon posted:

If you get stranded on dry land, call in this thing:

Slap four battleship turrets on that, an anti-aircraft gun, two waist-mounted miniguns, make it amphibious, slap a torpedo launcher on for underwater defense, add a wide-area shield dome generator, and add a factory that can produce combat-ready tanks on the back, and you have yourself a UEF Fatboy. :getin:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Rain fire on the rear lines while driving over the trenches.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
abrams is gonna be bigger than a Maus pretty soon

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If the Panama Canal doesn't exist (because say, 3 years before this publication the French gave up because everyone working on it kept dying too fast) then this isn't actually the worst idea if you are looking for alternatives to cross from Atlantic to Pacific. Obviously you have to assume ship sizes stay the same despite engine power increasing enough to make your train carriage viable but there you go.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
it's basically just an incline plane, those already exist for canals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKbXZCwHt4U

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Alchenar posted:

The Pershing definitely deserves some kind of 'underrated' award. The M26 is really just thought of as 'could have done with more of them in WW2', but every US tank up until the Abrams was some form of modernisation of it.

Alot of the really late-war and immediately post-war tank designs had pretty incredible longevity and lasting influence, you have the M26 Pershing and then the Patton tanks, you have Centurion as I mentioned and the subsequent British and Western tanks built around the same general design idea, and then you had the T-54/55 which itself was an improved version of the T-44 which had been in development since late 1943 to replace the T-34*.

*Looking at the T-34 and T-44 and T-54/55 is kind of interesting because you see how the Russians were willing to discard so many features of their most successful WWII tank design, most notably easing up a bit with the armor sloping (at least on the sides and rear) and replacing the Christie suspension with torsion bars, both of which took up way too much internal volume in the T-34. Also, unlike the T-34, the T-54/55 and its derivatives were extremely reliable, though in fairness to the T-34 it wasn't really meant to be, at least when the war got serious, it was only really meant to be produced and go to the front, fight and be destroyed and replaced before it broke down (because of this the Russians got pretty decent mileage out of using American tanks as training vehicles).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

wtf, is gonna light that thing mid charge? :psyduck: Like imagine a guy riding full gallop futzing around with a match and the end of his lance.
i have not read the book this is in. but off the top of my head i would say this could be a parade thing. (this is reinforced in my mind by the outlandish outfit the dude is wearing and using--that is NOT the way you couch a lance irl)
It may also have been a design in an artillerist's textbook for something that could have existed but didn't really, those books are full of things like that.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 4, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Lone Badger posted:

1) Take a destroyer

Problem solved!
please do not doxx winston churchill

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Saint Celestine posted:

It sure was!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultivator_No._6

Also, I recently had a chance to ride and try to drive an IS-3 -

This is the same one that the separatists got running in the Donetsk region and was then captured by the Ukrainian army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgzvVMpHJ-k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCefihT1ss4

Apologies for the potato quality, but APPARENTLY, GoPros die in the cold. However my Pixel 3 recorded pretty good video but theres like 10 minutes of just driving around. Let me know if anyones interested and ill process and upload.

Also the driver position is super uncomfortable.

Details!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Cythereal posted:

Slap four battleship turrets on that, an anti-aircraft gun, two waist-mounted miniguns, make it amphibious, slap a torpedo launcher on for underwater defense, add a wide-area shield dome generator, and add a factory that can produce combat-ready tanks on the back, and you have yourself a UEF Fatboy. :getin:
Alternatively:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GotLag posted:

Alternatively:

Still missing the shield generator, ability to travel underwater, torpedo launcher, and chainguns. :v:

It's a giant brick of armor, guns, and strange extra features that I'm sure the Marines insisted on.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

"i'm more of an Ideas Guy"

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Randarkman posted:

Alot of the really late-war and immediately post-war tank designs had pretty incredible longevity and lasting influence, you have the M26 Pershing and then the Patton tanks, you have Centurion as I mentioned and the subsequent British and Western tanks built around the same general design idea, and then you had the T-54/55 which itself was an improved version of the T-44 which had been in development since late 1943 to replace the T-34*.

*Looking at the T-34 and T-44 and T-54/55 is kind of interesting because you see how the Russians were willing to discard so many features of their most successful WWII tank design, most notably easing up a bit with the armor sloping (at least on the sides and rear) and replacing the Christie suspension with torsion bars, both of which took up way too much internal volume in the T-34. Also, unlike the T-34, the T-54/55 and its derivatives were extremely reliable, though in fairness to the T-34 it wasn't really meant to be, at least when the war got serious, it was only really meant to be produced and go to the front, fight and be destroyed and replaced before it broke down (because of this the Russians got pretty decent mileage out of using American tanks as training vehicles).

The T-34 was never treated as a disposable tank. Drives to increase reliability of all components, from track links and tires to the engine and transmission, went on until the very end of the war. In practice, they could get about the same lifespan out of T-34s and Shermans towards the end of the war: 2000-2500 km of driving, 200-300 engine-hours.

You're right that the sloped sides and coil spring suspension took up a lot of space in the sides of the tank. Work to make a torsion bar T-34 began in 1940 (along with many other improvements), and assembly of a prototype began in 1941, but the start of the war put an end to that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Other than a crippling lack of VTOL capability and a nationwide decrease in bad haircuts, what would the short and long term effects of just rolling the Marine Corps into the Army and Navy be?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Panzeh posted:

This is a good summation. I'll add to that and basically say that the armor was a significant force multiplier, particularly in Lam Son 719 when much of the ARVN training was still geared toward lower level counterinsurgency operations. Tanks were used aggressively and the introduction of T-54s was something of a shock(it drove the US to start providing M48s to ARVN, for example)

The extent to which we hosed over the ARVN is breathtaking. We built that army as a mini-US army, but focused on all of the shortcomings and few of the strengths. We made it a conventional army and trained it to re-fight the Korean War, so it wasn't optimally set up for counterinsurgency work - but when it came up against conventional enemies with tanks in '71/'72, whoops, we had built it too weak to deal with them.

Panzeh posted:

So long as US airpower was a significant factor, though, the concentrations needed to make effective armor attacks also provided very good targets for tactical air support and they were always very vulnerable and easier to spot from the air than infantry and artillery were. The AAA and artillery were the NVA's decisive arms at Lam Son 719, more than the tanks. In 1972 you start seeing TOW missiles which gave the helicopters an effective weapon against the tanks.

Yeah, that's why I walked back my "timid" characterization of the PAVN's use of armor above. It's easy to say "they had tanks, they shouldda used them" - but the prospect of shooting up PAVN tanks was a wet dream for any USAF pilot or planner in Southeast Asia. If those tanks had been deployed in numbers before the US was rushing towards the door every plane in that half of the world would have lined up to bomb them.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Other than a crippling lack of VTOL capability and a nationwide decrease in bad haircuts, what would the short and long term effects of just rolling the Marine Corps into the Army and Navy be?

Better yet, what would be gained?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

quote:

In his memoirs, Churchill said about it: "I am responsible but impenitent".[

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The thing the Marines do better than anyone is 1) go places quickly, and 2) integrate ground forces with air and sea firepower. This is a relatively unique capability that no other force can currently replicate, and it is a necessary one within the scope of current US defense strategy. So, there isn't really any reason why the units that provide this capability have to be called "marines" but if one were to dissolve the USMC, those capabilities would have to be rebuilt elsewhere in the DoD. This would be extremely time consuming and expensive. I'm no fan of the USMC's belief they're special snowflakes nor a lot of aspects of marine culture and policy but they do what they do very well, and they're the only ones that do it.