Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
One thing I remember saying about ESO at launch was that it was pretty cool to have a game where you can go through nordic barrows, dunmer daedric shrines, and ayleid ruins with a single character.

Skyrim is getting closer to that, and that's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Seriously? I never used it. I do all my ini edits by hand. I take it back then.

Yeah, it's designed to work alongside MO natively so you just point it at your MO profile from within the program.

But in general, your point is correct, of course.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Has anyone here used Gold is XP? Thinking about giving it a try, but I'm not sure if it ends up being awful or not since it soft caps you eventually.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Looks like EnaiSiaon is almost done with Wintersun (the religion overhaul to end all religion overhauls) just in time for a playthrough...

https://www.patreon.com/posts/23657566

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Lum_ posted:

Looks like EnaiSiaon is almost done with Wintersun (the religion overhaul to end all religion overhauls) just in time for a playthrough...

Oh poo poo, Enai's making a religion mod too? Since the one I linked a while back still seems really WIP, I gotta look into this.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've been looking forward to this one. Looks like it's going to be good.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Lum_ posted:

I had JUST gotten over the itch to play Skyrim again. I thought I was clean, I thought I was out of the game! But it turns out, I just walked right into that Imperial ambush, same as that thief over there.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Lum_ posted:

Welp, just restarted yesterday, time to start over again :) Thanks for the link.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
MO has LOOT built in, that's what the sort mods button does.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Fuzz posted:

MO has LOOT built in, that's what the sort mods button does.

I don't think that's quite true. As I'm going through Lexy's list right now, one of the steps is to install LOOT and link it to MO2. So since it's a step I'm going to guess that LOOT does enough different stuff from the MO2 sort function.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There's a version of LOOT built into Mod Organizer but the full program apparently has more options and theoretically better results but whatever, half of Skyrim modding is cargo cult nonsense anyway so do what you like.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I last played Oldrim maybe 6 months ago, uninstalled it, and now I'm getting the itch again and kinda wanting to install SE. But I'm so very lazy, and a technical dum-dum, and really not looking forward to installing MO and figuring out how to get everything working. :effort:

I wonder how much I'll hate it if I just manual install SKSE, USSEP and SkyUI and call it a day. The Almost Pure Vanilla Experience.

edit: OK, OK, SMIM too.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I last played Oldrim maybe 6 months ago, uninstalled it, and now I'm getting the itch again and kinda wanting to install SE. But I'm so very lazy, and a technical dum-dum, and really not looking forward to installing MO and figuring out how to get everything working. :effort:

I wonder how much I'll hate it if I just manual install SKSE, USSEP and SkyUI and call it a day. The Almost Pure Vanilla Experience.

edit: OK, OK, SMIM too.

Those + a few convenience mods of your choice from the OP + something like Ordinator + Apoc + whatever other EnaiRim mods look good to you would take maybe 10 minutes to remember how MO works and setup not including download.

I spent a good 6-7 hours getting Tuco’s guide going and really most of that is installing / configuring textures.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Ever since using NMM and Loot together, I've never had a save corruption or weird crashes - even uninstalling mods mid-game.

Only Path of the Mage Killer or whatever mod resulted in save corruption because it's probably not really well integrated.

Not that I'm implying MO isn't great or better. I'm just used to this way and it's working for me vOv

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Lum_ posted:

I wonder if he will do anything about the goddamn awful imperial vampire racial in Sacrosanct now that he's doing a mod about shrines and gods. It basically gives you an inverted shrine blessing for a measly 25 magicka and stamina buff. I tried to point out that this played super poorly with some of his Ordinator restoration perks and he just replied, 'Then don't take it"... yes, I loving know that. It's dogshit and you should change it, but I was trying to be constructive.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Started over with tuco's guide again because I didn't like how some things turned out. And now testing the game at various points has left me with a screen tearing issue. On my gsync monitor. :what:

Not even sure to start with that but checked Nvidia control panel and gsync is configured correctly, not sure how my game could be overriding it.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

which skyrim is the better modding skyrim these days?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

At this point, unless there's a specific mod you want that doesn't have SE support or you have an Oldrim setup you can't bear to part with, there's really no reason not to use SE.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm considering playing through Skyrim again. Special Edition, this time. Can I post my mod list and get recommendations for/against what I have, or are people sick of it at this point?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Node posted:

I'm considering playing through Skyrim again. Special Edition, this time. Can I post my mod list and get recommendations for/against what I have, or are people sick of it at this point?

:justpost:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Okay! As far as tools go, I have Mod Organizer 2 (I've always just placed mods by hand, so I'm not sure about this one,) SSEEdit for merged patches, Wyre Bash for leveled list patches, LOOT, and SSELODGen (is this necessary? I remember something similar was for Oblivion.)

And as for the mods, they are not installed yet so this hasn't been reorganized by LOOT:

Skyrim 2017 Textures by Pfuscher
A Quality World Map
Achievements Mod Enabler, because whats the point of playing without achievements, SERIOUSLY
Book Covers SSE
Cutting Room Floor
Detailed Rugs
Immersive Armors
Immersive Citizens (this one seems really recommended but I'm afraid of it screwing the game up)
Real Roads for Skyrim
Realistic Water Two
Relationship Dialog Overhaul
Ruins Clutter Improved
Skyrim Flora Overhaul
Skse64 and SkyUI5
Static Mesh Improvement Mod
Unofficial Skyrim SE Patch

It's pretty light compared to a lot of mod lists but I want to keep things simple. My goal is to have an "enhanced" Skyrim, not necessarily a "new" one. That's why I left out Ordinator, it seemed to change way too much. If anyone has any suggestions to add/remove mods I'll definitely be happy to listen. My machine is also pretty decent so that's why I have a few mods to make things prettier.

I'm also looking for a couple mods that I couldn't find, if that exist. One, an economy balancer, so you don't get super rich really fast. Second, something to slow down skill gain so the game lasts longer.

Thanks for reading!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lum_ posted:

Oh boy. I just finished the behemoth task of Lexy's guide, so I guess I'll wait to see how this fits in there.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Started over with tuco's guide again because I didn't like how some things turned out. And now testing the game at various points has left me with a screen tearing issue. On my gsync monitor. :what:

Not even sure to start with that but checked Nvidia control panel and gsync is configured correctly, not sure how my game could be overriding it.

Yeah I had trouble with gsync too and turned it off for now instead.

In my defense it was 1am and I wanted to be done with modding.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

LOOT is fine for the average user. Fight me. :colbert:
LOOT is pointless and outright bad if you believe in all the woo surrounding it.

I will never stop yelling at this cloud. :argh:

DuchessOfKvetch
Dec 20, 2018

Node posted:

I'm also looking for a couple mods that I couldn't find, if that exist. One, an economy balancer, so you don't get super rich really fast. Second, something to slow down skill gain so the game lasts longer.

Thanks for reading!

The problem with economy mods is that you're quickly going to need to work with custom leveled list merging, and that means downloading extra tools like Mator Smash (the newer shinier version of Wrye Bash, but has one job = it is meant ONLY for conflict resolution patching).

SkyLeo just came out though - https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/17977

For slowing the skill/xp curve, you should take a look at Skill Uncapper: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/8889

Also, you could go down the Requiem rabbit hole, which definitely slows everything down, or some other "deleveller" so the enemies don't scale with you. This makes going most places super dangerous until you level up sufficiently, and you have to do more scouting and running for your life.

Finally, Ordinator completely overhauls the Perks trees, adding a lot more options. It works with a modified uncapper I believe. You have to spend more time planning your build rather than winging it, esp with the limited number of perks. So it doesn't slow down levelling as much as encourages longer games. Combine that with a mod that adds more difficult/high level enemies.

DuchessOfKvetch fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 5, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

At this point, I'd honestly say that if you're gonna Skyrim and you have a headset, do it in VR. It's really drat good.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Raygereio posted:

LOOT is pointless and outright bad if you believe in all the woo surrounding it.

:jerkbag:

90% of users are fine using LOOT + Automatic Merged Patch. It might not go perfectly, but it's better than sitting there for 2 hours manually patching.

Raygereio posted:

.I will never stop yelling at this cloud. :argh:

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 5, 2019

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Take the skyrim museum. It'll make it so, more likely than not, when u get to the end of useless circular cave 753, there'll be some cool poo poo that even if u don't need it u can hang it up on Ur cool poo poo wall

Also I think I said this before but in oldrim the museum would, for me atleast, add a global chug to the whole game just from its immense weight but were in 64 bit land now baybee the museum is silk

Prokhor fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 5, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Iverron posted:

Yeah I had trouble with gsync too and turned it off for now instead.

In my defense it was 1am and I wanted to be done with modding.

I fixed it by going borderless windowed and changing my gsync to apply to both fullscreen and windowed applications, but not sure why I had to since the first time I went through this modding process I never had an issue with screen tearing (and with a gsync monitor theoretically never should).

Boy I gotta say, there is some dumb poo poo that the tuco guide recommends (Immersive Wenches, more like Immersion-breaking Wenches amirite????) but the guide was really helpful for figuring out some of the more finicky stuff. I essentially went through the guide twice in four days but the setup I have now is gorgeous. I highly recommend Photorealistic Tamriel enb configs. Specifically I'm using a 70s style photo filter that is Technicolor as gently caress and the game looks incredible.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Don't post any screenshots or anything, it's way better to just imagine it.

(:justpost:)

Node posted:

Immersive Citizens (this one seems really recommended but I'm afraid of it screwing the game up)

I've heard this one is way incompatible, and the author is a loon.

I would recommend Open Cities if you're running SE. There's no performance hit with SE.

Also, a lot of Oldrim texture mods look amazing in SE, because of the enhanced renderer, even if they're lower-res than the SE textures. I don't currently have a working install, or I'd dump some screenshots, but aMidianborn and Noble Skyrim look great.

Also, have a gander at my converted mods folder.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 5, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Immersive Citizens is incompatible with a lot of good mods, and the author throws a hissy fit at anybody making patches, so it's best to skip it. It doesn't do much that is really cool, anyway, he just added a bunch of markers for NPCs.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Fuzz posted:

At this point, I'd honestly say that if you're gonna Skyrim and you have a headset, do it in VR. It's really drat good.

I've been wondering if the texture and graphic mods actually do anything for VR. The pentile screen makes everything fuzzy in other games and movies so I'm not sure I want to go through all the work to get a full set of graphic mods up. What's your experience been?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Agents are GO! posted:

Don't post any screenshots or anything, it's way better to just imagine it.

(:justpost:)

Well I'm sure this poo poo is pedestrian to the die hard Skyrim modders in this thread, but what the hell. Apparently the best time to get into an Elder Scrolls game around ten years post-release. I am glad I didn't spend hundreds of hours playing Skyrim already because now I can do that and it looks like this:

A couple of those are pretty dark so crank your monitor brightness if you can't see anything. The interiors in particular look incredible with all the tweaks to the lighting and textures. It looks like a brand new game. If anyone just likes looking at Skyrim screenshots I'm going to be spamming my Steam feed with them while I play through so go ahead and add me if you want. http://steamcommunity.com/id/anactualcatirl

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

LLSix posted:

I've been wondering if the texture and graphic mods actually do anything for VR. The pentile screen makes everything fuzzy in other games and movies so I'm not sure I want to go through all the work to get a full set of graphic mods up. What's your experience been?

Looks good, plus the game runs so smoothly you just crank the supersampling to 2 and go to town. I'm playing as a NON stealth archer and it's fun as poo poo. You can fire the bow like Legolas and do all sorts of trick shots on the fly... now that I've had a lot of practice, I feel like Hawkeye in that rooftop scene in the first Avengers movie, it's great. Kinda want to start over as a mage, though, because I dabble in magic and it's AWESOME blasting a flamethrower out of one hand in a spray at some guys while you TK throw another dude over a mountain. I also added a Bound Shield mod so you can throw up fancy magic energy shields with one hand and then hurl lightning bolts like Zeus and crap like that. It's really fun.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 5, 2019

Iverron
May 13, 2012

DrNutt posted:

I fixed it by going borderless windowed and changing my gsync to apply to both fullscreen and windowed applications, but not sure why I had to since the first time I went through this modding process I never had an issue with screen tearing (and with a gsync monitor theoretically never should).

Boy I gotta say, there is some dumb poo poo that the tuco guide recommends (Immersive Wenches, more like Immersion-breaking Wenches amirite????) but the guide was really helpful for figuring out some of the more finicky stuff. I essentially went through the guide twice in four days but the setup I have now is gorgeous. I highly recommend Photorealistic Tamriel enb configs. Specifically I'm using a 70s style photo filter that is Technicolor as gently caress and the game looks incredible.

Yeaaah. I’d watched one of his Wrye Bash guides before where he installs some super cringe female armor mods so when I got to the hair mod of the same author I made sure to not install that one.

I dropped too many frames with PRT and so I backed out to the “basically just Reshader” option. Should I dig back into that a little?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Iverron posted:

Yeaaah. I’d watched one of his Wrye Bash guides before where he installs some super cringe female armor mods so when I got to the hair mod of the same author I made sure to not install that one.

I dropped too many frames with PRT and so I backed out to the “basically just Reshader” option. Should I dig back into that a little?

Probably depends on your setup and how much you liked my screenshots? I am getting 42 fps in outside areas and 60 fps in interiors (I have my fps capped at 60 for engine weirdness). But it feels super smooth regardless because I have a gsync monitor, so ymmv. And the hair mods aren't bad actually, some of the hairstyles are dumb but there are a lot of really cool hairdos that blow any of the vanilla ones out of the water and I could spend all day playing pretty princess dress up :gay:

The biggest thing to me is how consistent and stable this particular mod setup is. I've played up through level 9 now and only had one ctd, and the 42 fps is pretty rock solid, there's not a lot of modulation it just sits there at 42. Biggest frame drops I've noticed have been when I've happened upon a clash between Imperials and Stormcloaks but that's probably because I have a mod that makes the battles bigger.

In the tucoguide he says you can go into enblocal.ini and try setting ForceVideoMemorySize=false and it might improve your performance. It should help depending on how much vram your gfx card has.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 5, 2019

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

DrNutt posted:

(lovely pics)

Those are very nice.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Agents are GO! posted:

Those are very nice.

Thanks, pardner! :tipshat:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Prokhor posted:

Take the skyrim museum. It'll make it so, more likely than not, when u get to the end of useless circular cave 753, there'll be some cool poo poo that even if u don't need it u can hang it up on Ur cool poo poo wall

Also I think I said this before but in oldrim the museum would, for me atleast, add a global chug to the whole game just from its immense weight but were in 64 bit land now baybee the museum is silk

Oh, really? I know the guide said Legacy was feature creeped to hell and back and way messier than it needs to be. Did it get fixed, or is SE just better at handling its bulk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Bee posted:

Oh, really? I know the guide said Legacy was feature creeped to hell and back and way messier than it needs to be. Did it get fixed, or is SE just better at handling its bulk?

There's a bit of both. There is less feature creep in the SE version -- for example, it doesn't contain Moonpath anymore -- and SSE being more stable and having access to more RAM can handle it better.