Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Don't forget the best one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eafRE74JGZ8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The Iron Rose posted:

I think Warren is an idiot but I'll vote for anyone with a D beside their name and you all drat well better too in 2020.

The fact that not only does this not seem to be a common sentiment, but that it's also met with "this attitude is why dems are losing", is what's scaring the poo poo out of me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Anyone who votes R is supporting this administration anyway at this point and you're god drat right I'll never vote for one here on out.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The fact that not only does this not seem to be a common sentiment, but that it's also met with "this attitude is why dems are losing", is what's scaring the poo poo out of me.

I wish it had scared more people in 2016. :(

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

:same:

But most people I met "had principles", and thus sat out out the general election.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

There's definitely a trend of complaining about people voting for anybody with an R after their name no matter how garbage of a person they are, while also saying you'd better do the exact same for anybody with a D no matter how bad of a candidate they are.

It's a dumb trend.

It also enables the establishment dems to keep supporting Schumer and the other weaklings who just roll over whenever the republicans look mean at them.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

There's definitely a trend of complaining about people voting for anybody with an R after their name no matter how garbage of a person they are, while also saying you'd better do the exact same for anybody with a D no matter how bad of a candidate they are.

It's a dumb trend.

I've been wanting to say something like this in conversation but have been too dumb to put it into words properly. Thank you.

The "my team all good your team bad always" poo poo has reached critical mass and I have no idea how it will sort itself out.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
https://twitter.com/LevineJonathan/status/1081037086621339648

Welcome to 2019, decorum is now officially dead.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Kemper Boyd posted:

Welcome to 2019, decorum is now officially dead.

Good, lets impeach this motherfucker.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

It's a dumb trend.

It also enables the establishment dems to keep supporting Schumer and the other weaklings who just roll over whenever the republicans look mean at them.

On the other hand, if you're in the majority then it doesn't matter. Republicans have made governing a zero sum game; the only hope at getting through any progressive policies is to ensure they aren't in power and Democrats are. Even people like Lamb and Manchin will fall in line and vote for poo poo like UHC when they know it'll pass. If people want to replace establishment candidates, the time to do it is in the primaries, not the general election.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
I'm not voting for someone just because they've got a D next to their name

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I mean yeah in an Arlen Spectre situation, gently caress no I'm not voting for them. But if it's an otherwise qualified candidate, at this point in history I'm voting for them every time over anyone who associates themselves with the Republican party. If someone looks at what the Republican party represents today in 2019 and thinks "Yeah I'm on board with that," then that automatically disqualifies them in my mind. Run as an independent or some third party poo poo instead, especially if it's a state or local race where that actually works.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 4, 2019

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

The Iron Rose posted:

I think Warren is an idiot but I'll vote for anyone with a D beside their name and you all drat well better too in 2020.
In addition to the points made above, explicitly asserting this basically tells the people who need your vote that you don't need to be catered to beyond mere lip service. If your aspiring rep is a uniquely good person with policy that mirrors your own, this isn't so bad. If they are anything else, it results in you being ignored and, in worst cases, enables the rep to commit explicit bad actions (abuse of office, corruption, sexual assault, etc.).

So while you might continue to support whoever has your party's initial next to their name, other people who can't stomach it will sit out. If an even worse opponent wins at that point, I'd blame the group that enabled the bad rep, not those that sat out.

Your vote is an important thing and should be treated as such.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Lmao gently caress the "blue no matter who" cowards

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Sure and that's a great thing to do in 2024.

But - and I despise that I have to use this preface because it shouldn't matter. But as a member of several minority groups, literally anyone to the left of Trump is going to be better because chances are they're not going to try and make me illegal.

Vote on principal any election you want - just not this next one. As it is right now I can legally be discriminated against thanks entirely to Trump administration policy and their title 9 changes have effectively defined me out of existence.

Radical changes might be necessary to get this nation back on track, but I'd rather be able to have a job. Or, y'know, not be shot by the Evangelical junta.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

The Iron Rose posted:

Sure and that's a great thing to do in 2024.

But - and I despise that I have to use this preface because it shouldn't matter. But as a member of several minority groups, literally anyone to the left of Trump is going to be better because chances are they're not going to try and make me illegal.

Vote on principal any election you want - just not this next one. As it is right now I can legally be discriminated against thanks entirely to Trump administration policy and their title 9 changes have effectively defined me out of existence.

Radical changes might be necessary to get this nation back on track, but I'd rather be able to have a job. Or, y'know, not be shot by the Evangelical junta.

You can gently caress off to Canada if you need to, some of us don't have the luxury to be all high and mighty about our voting choices

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

In addition to the points made above, explicitly asserting this basically tells the people who need your vote that you don't need to be catered to beyond mere lip service. If your aspiring rep is a uniquely good person with policy that mirrors your own, this isn't so bad. If they are anything else, it results in you being ignored and, in worst cases, enables the rep to commit explicit bad actions (abuse of office, corruption, sexual assault, etc.).

So while you might continue to support whoever has your party's initial next to their name, other people who can't stomach it will sit out. If an even worse opponent wins at that point, I'd blame the group that enabled the bad rep, not those that sat out.

I think you're correct that supporting lovely candidates just because of their party affiliation hurts the outcome of the general election, but the time to take care of that is the primaries. The whole "principled" vote thing is usually just an excuse to not vote for someone who doesn't align with all of your views, just most of them. See all of the people complaining about O'Rourke and AOC, even though they were high quality candidates that motivated tons of unengaged or first time voters.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lou Takki posted:

Good, lets impeach this motherfucker.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Thalantos posted:

You can gently caress off to Canada if you need to, some of us don't have the luxury to be all high and mighty about our voting choices

I think that refusing to vote for someone who only believes 80% of the things you do at the cost of discrimination, discriminatory policy, and all the various horrors and crimes of this admin is way more high and mighty to me. Since I'm not a white guy, me and mine actually feel that decision firsthand.

But ultimately as much as I want to calling the decision selfish isn't going to convince anyone, so I'll just make it a plea instead.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Thalantos posted:

:chloe:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

psydude posted:

If people want to replace establishment candidates, the time to do it is in the primaries, not the general election.

Pretty much this.

Thalantos posted:

As someone who can genuinely gently caress off to Canada without issue if they choose to do so, gently caress off with this sentiment. It's stupid as gently caress and counter productive as hell.

The Iron Rose posted:

I think that refusing to vote for someone who only believes 80% of the things you do at the cost of discrimination, discriminatory policy, and all the various horrors and crimes of this admin is way more high and mighty to me. Since I'm not a white guy, me and mine actually feel that decision firsthand.

But ultimately as much as I want to calling the decision selfish isn't going to convince anyone, so I'll just make it a plea instead.

It's a funny because I feel like ~90% of the people I've met in real life that refuse to vote for a Dem in critical races because of some purity politics bullshit are white and privileged as gently caress. Easy for most of them to say they don't give a gently caress when most of the bad poo poo coming down the pipe isn't going to impact them directly. Accelerationism is an easy way out when you're not going to experience most of the effects of it till it's too late, if at all.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Thalantos posted:

I'll loving die before I give up on this country.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

Pretty much this.

As someone who can genuinely gently caress off to Canada without issue if they choose to do so, gently caress off with this sentiment. It's stupid as gently caress and counter productive as hell.

I mean in fairness I can genuinely gently caress off to Canada and I'm from San Francisco as it is so bastion of Republican tyranny it is not

So long as I stick to blue states I'll be fine, but I'd rather not have to, y'know? To say nothing about all the gay and trans people who aren't so lucky - including you Dana!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

The Iron Rose posted:

I mean in fairness I can genuinely gently caress off to Canada and I'm from San Francisco as it is so bastion of Republican tyranny it is not

So long as I stick to blue states I'll be fine, but I'd rather not have to, y'know? To say nothing about all the gay and trans people who aren't so lucky - including you Dana!

I feel you. I have dual citizenship, and while I would loveeeee to buy a place in Nova Scotia one day, I'm not gonna do that on account of "Oh, Trump won and my politics aren't working out here, guess I'll just move to Canada to solve the problem."

I mean the idea that some people have that Canada doesn't have it's own set of issues and chuds is loving hilarious.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

EBB posted:

Much like that t-shirt "I am conflicted about my service", it took friends and family a bit to understand how I can be super critical about the country while still loving it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EBB posted:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

I feel you. I have dual citizenship, and while I would loveeeee to buy a place in Nova Scotia one day, I'm not gonna do that on account of "Oh, Trump won and my politics aren't working out here, guess I'll just move to Canada to solve the problem."

I mean the idea that some people have that Canada doesn't have it's own set of issues and chuds is loving hilarious.

Can't really deny that they are a lot better off though :v:

An explicitly feminist prime minister! Can you imagine that? Sure, he makes gaffes but it's a drat sight better than the literal rapist we got in the white house.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
we're living in a universe literally built on 'the lesser evil!' and some of you still have the gall to try and blame people for wanting to change that. are you loving serious.

gently caress your lovely candidates, gently caress your complacency and most importantly gently caress you.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

we're living in a universe literally built on 'the lesser evil!' and some of you still have the gall to try and blame people for wanting to change that. are you loving serious.

gently caress your lovely candidates, gently caress your complacency and most importantly gently caress you.

In a system that structurally supports only two parties, you can literally only choose between the lesser of two evils. That sucks, but that's reality.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Settle down, Beavis.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

psydude posted:

In a system that structurally supports only two parties, you can literally only choose between the lesser of two evils. That sucks, but that's reality.

I don't particularly think this is a compelling argument because we tried it in 2016 and look where that went

But I also don't think any candidate will be left enough for PCM. Left or not though, anyone with a D next to their name is going to make being in the United States way safer for me and mine.

So genuine question then - can you really begrudge me doing everything I can to see them in office?

I haven't even decided on who I like yet! I'll wait for the primary season for that. But I'd vote for Gary loving Johnson over Trump because hey at least the government not caring about me is better than outright malice and deliberate discrimination.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Literally no one here is giving you poo poo for wanting to change the status quo and get better candidates, pretty sure we're all for that. But when your solution for changing things is either accelerationism or just sitting on the sidelines and endlessly bitching about the candidates field before even the god drat primaries have even happened,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz5ODQCueP8

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This is an existential crisis for minorities and people with healthcare needs so yeah, claiming that you’re going to wait and see whether the Democrat or Republican has the better plan for 401k management or some loving thing comes off as insanely privileged.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

I don't particularly think this is a compelling argument because we tried it in 2016 and look where that went

I think Bernie and other entities like DSA (and, unfortunately, the Tea Party) have added some third party elements to the big two parties. But unfortunately you can't really have a full third party exist without cannibalizing votes. Like I doubt anyone who voted for Jill Stein is more okay with Trump's policies than they would have been with Hillary's.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

psydude posted:

I think Bernie and other entities like DSA (and, unfortunately, the Tea Party) have added some third party elements to the big two parties. But unfortunately you can't really have a full third party exist without cannibalizing votes.

Maybe. Inspiring Hillary was not either. But I also think that blaming Sanders or Bernie supporters is counterproductive. We should be working together and not relitigating the past and reopening old wounds.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I don't hold a grudge towards Sander's supporters because despite the loud vocal minority on the internet, the majority of people who voted for him in the primary that voted in the general voted for Clinton. Like me, for example.

Clinton lost for numerous reasons, but to lay the majority of the blame at the feet of Sanders and his supporters is dumb as hell and usually done by people that don't like looking inwards.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Fallom posted:

This is an existential crisis for minorities and people with healthcare needs so yeah, claiming that you’re going to wait and see whether the Democrat or Republican has the better plan for 401k management or some loving thing comes off as insanely privileged.

Yup.

Vote D all down ticket because i dont want to give the party that has sucessfully packed 5 lifetime appointments into the only functional branch of government while dismantling another any sort of bench they can draw from as they get voted out.

Also if things like literal hate groups are endorsing your party members, you might not be on the right side of history.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

Maybe. Inspiring Hillary was not either. But I also think that blaming Sanders or Bernie supporters is counterproductive. We should be working together and not relitigating the past and reopening old wounds.

I'm not blaming them. They managed to add quite a few of their policies to the party platform, so they were highly successful. They also managed to get a number of their candidates elected in the 2018 election.

My point is that the closest we can really get to third parties is within the parties themselves.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

psydude posted:

I'm not blaming them. They managed to add quite a few of their policies to the party platform, so they were highly successful. They also managed to get a number of their candidates elected in the 2018 election.

My point is that the closest we can really get to third parties is within the parties themselves.

the fact that the green party is a bunch of wackos instead of a group of dems operating inside the democratic party is loving criminal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

The latter part is what terrifies me.

psydude posted:

If people want to replace establishment candidates, the time to do it is in the primaries, not the general election.

Exactly this. Hell, do it even before the primaries.

The problem I've experienced is that young people do diddly-squat in that time outside of repost UNILAD videos, Reddit memes, and support whichever the social media propaganda (from Reddit, too, I guess) tells them to support. They're hearts are most probably in the right place, which is good, but unfortunately actual change requires them to put their rear end into it outside of that. 2016 has shown that - in the event of them not getting their dreamy candidate - they claim to have always hated (insert establishment candidate) and sit the general election out because ~principles~.

:lol: this isn't happening, calm down bud

The Iron Rose posted:

As an addendum: I absolutely agree on the latter, and no one is blaming Bernie, or those supporters that actually work for change. The ones that I see as the problem are the ones that don't do squat when it matters, and then only start "fighting" tooth & nail when the change they could have worked for in the years before has not come about, and they then sit it out.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 4, 2019