Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

same but also the next anno game is already announced as 1800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol the wife has a lovely sarnsung WiFi tablet for work and I noticed the clock on the lock screen was wildly wrong and I looked in to it and it supports an NTP Daemon but will only sync if you manually force it there is no scheduler for it

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

https://twitter.com/dragosr/status/1001114342958317568?lang=en

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

spankmeister posted:

I'm sorry I usually only read dragos tweets if I want to laugh at a crazy person and then feel bad about myself for laughing at a person with obvious mental illness.

it's a bit weird because some of the security people i follow online, people who seem to have their heads screwed on straight, sometimes do boost/reshare him. i don't know what to believe anymore :tinfoil:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it's a bit weird because some of the security people i follow online, people who seem to have their heads screwed on straight, sometimes do boost/reshare him. i don't know what to believe anymore :tinfoil:

even a broken clock finds a grain

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

its probably because outside of his random bursts he's well versed and still a good source? there's a difference between other people's research he's highlighting and the times he's digging into something that isn't there

now anyone care about that 7 month old bug in a wifi chipset covering a ton of consumer appliances in the wild with no known public patch yet? the one with a private poc for an unauthed rce?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i guess i don't know how the security community operates. but these same folks i follow seem generally pretty hip to social issues, and so i sorta assume they know it's not good to directly boost someone who clearly needs a bit of help

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

now anyone care about that 7 month old bug in a wifi chipset covering a ton of consumer appliances in the wild with no known public patch yet? the one with a private poc for an unauthed rce?

it looks like i might actually buy a home console if it bears fruit tbh.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

its probably because outside of his random bursts he's well versed and still a good source? there's a difference between other people's research he's highlighting and the times he's digging into something that isn't there

Yeah I'm sorry I should have looked at it more carefully. Like I said I saw it was dragos and my eyes glazed over and I didn't even see the source. My bad.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i guess i don't know how the security community operates.

i sorta assume they know it's not good to directly boost someone who clearly needs a bit of help

I guess you don't know how the security community operates.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

geonetix posted:

yes. yes it is.

Turns out that no, Chromecast is fine and this is just lovely routers being lovely: https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1081000904688656386

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-04/hackers-release-personal-data-of-hundreds-of-german-politicians oops

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

EssOEss posted:

Turns out that no, Chromecast is fine and this is just lovely routers being lovely: https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1081000904688656386

fyi swift is just an unaccomplished CJ who obsessively tweets about infosec and because of their gimmick they got popular so now they punch above their weight as some kind of authority.

consumer routers having UPnP enabled on the WAN interface (or at all) by default: secfuck
chomecast having UPnP enabled by default: secfuck

hurr:

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1081003077912719362

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Pile Of Garbage posted:

chomecast having UPnP enabled by default: secfuck

No, not necessarily. What you say about Switft is true but he does address this - UPnP is a wide-ranging suite of standards and he says Chromecast does not use the "open a port" variant that the lay audience might normally associate with UPnP. Unless he is flat out wrong in his facts, Chromecast is in the clear here.

Other uses of UPnP are "media player" features. The Windows "Play To Device" function is UPnP, for example. I bet Chromecast does something in that style (Swift mentions SSDP, which is for finding devices).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if a device on your internal network asks your router about what other devices on your internal network it can talk to, and your router then decides to open that device up to external connections from anywhere on the internet, it's the router that's the secfuck

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

the truth is still that domestic routers are generally terrible

even if chromecast wasn't upnping its way onto the world wide web

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

clearly a router secfuck, but people messing with peoples chromecasts are on the level of driving down the road with an ir blaster loving with peoples tv settings to demonstrate the insecure nature of window glass or something

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

heard about this on the radio this morning. apparently everyone except the nazis got their data released :thunk:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

heard about this on the radio this morning. apparently everyone except the nazis got their data released :thunk:

real :thunk: right there

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/thegrugq/status/1081191019993915392
(thread)

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Just went to try Windows 2019 for the first time and kicked off Windows updates, hmmm

Hmmmmm

Hmmmmmmm?

HMMMMM

How much did Adobe pay for this poo poo

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shame Boy posted:

does anybody know what timespan the data covers? afd only entered the bundestag in september 2017.

i mean, i wouldn’t put it past certain actors to exclude them as they have been getting pretty cozy with them and there are already investigations into shady afd behavior going on

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

sadus posted:

Just went to try Windows 2019 for the first time and kicked off Windows updates, hmmm

Hmmmmm

Hmmmmmmm?

HMMMMM

flash for chrome and edge are built and distributed by google and microsoft, respectively, so it is just standard and in both (requiring approval to run though)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"adobe flash player for windows server" is the best worst thing I've heard of all week

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shame Boy posted:

"adobe flash player for windows server" is the best worst thing I've heard of all week

well yeah you need it to use the more recent vcenter web interfaces

lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

EssOEss posted:

No, not necessarily. What you say about Switft is true but he does address this - UPnP is a wide-ranging suite of standards and he says Chromecast does not use the "open a port" variant that the lay audience might normally associate with UPnP. Unless he is flat out wrong in his facts, Chromecast is in the clear here.

Other uses of UPnP are "media player" features. The Windows "Play To Device" function is UPnP, for example. I bet Chromecast does something in that style (Swift mentions SSDP, which is for finding devices).

UPnP is straight garbage and i thought i was already dead in tyool 2019. i don't care how chomecast uses UPnP, the fact that it uses it at all is a huge loving red flag, even if it apparently "doesn't use it in a bad way."

Shame Boy posted:

it's for RDS sessions, not unusual at all.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

sadus posted:

Hmmmmm

Hmmmmmmm?

HMMMMM

Its embedded in legacy IE (not edge) for backwards support since Win10 was released. Flash's native updater sucks rear end, doesn't work properly, and MS decided to tell them to gently caress off and are pushing the updates themselves. This is well-documented and generally only of the only good decisions MS has made in the last 5 years.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

UPnP is straight garbage and i thought i was already dead in tyool 2019. i don't care how chomecast uses UPnP, the fact that it uses it at all is a huge loving red flag, even if it apparently "doesn't use it in a bad way."

its a large protocol suite designed to do broadcast discovery and happens to have some ability to request port forwards from a upstream NAT. some kind of discovery protocol is a requirement for any kind of soho environment without proper DNS infrastructure. you're tilting at windmills and being an idiot. the problem are the routers enabling the port forward functionality by default, implementing in a shoddy manner, and not updating/supporting their poo poo in the field.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

well yeah you need it to use the more recent vcenter web interfaces

lol

the most recent versions are html5 and are so much better

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

oh it finally came out? which version is it now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pile Of Garbage posted:

everything intended for home use uses upnp so this is a battle you lost a long time ago

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

oh it finally came out? which version is it now

html5 client is first available on 6.0u3, mostly feature complete on 6.5, and i think standard on 6.7

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

like... what do you want? netbios discovery? I guess they could use mdns but that's not secure either and pretty much none of these discovery protocols ever will be. are you going to advocate home kerb-based auth and service advertisement for ever single home network?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yes

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I agree that would own

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

it still doesn't have all the features of the flash client. also the flash client doesn't work most of the time because of security patches to flash/ie.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

also the flash client doesn't work most of the time because of security patches to flash/ie.

i only got it to work in recent versions of firefox and realllllly had to shoehorn in security exceptions for it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
still using the vsphere desktop client while we slowly migrate to clod + hyperv

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

how they hell do you manage that they lock you out of practically everything unless your vcenter server is old as dirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

how they hell do you manage that they lock you out of practically everything unless your vcenter server is old as dirt

very carefully