Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The System Mastery review of A State made it sound like unplayable garbage TBH.

I'm always a little weirded out by SLA Industries because it's a game I occasionally see references to but have never once seen a single SI book in a store or heard somebody discuss it except in books like the Munchkin's Guide (which was surprisingly entertaining for a James Desborough product). I think I saw an ad for it once in like Dragon? But anyway it's weird to me that it's apparently a going concern in the tiny RPG industry/scene and has been for like twenty years and I have never encountered anything but sparse references to it. Is it more popular in the UK than in the US or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

I think there are Paragon Paths and Epic destinies that take you down the road of the Sorcerer Kings, but the Dragon is like a level ridiculous enemy intended to really challenge a whole max level party.

If I remember in 2e they had a book all about the various physical transformations and how to achieve them and hitting Dragon was crazy hard since you needed to essentially destroy an entire nation to get enough sacrifices to start the transformation.

Dragon Kings, complete with a whole passel of 10th level spells.

Even starting down that path was absurdly difficult. First: level to 20 defiler. Then, dual-class to psionicist and advance that to 20. Bear in mind that if you use your old abilities before you match levels, you get no XP for that adventure.

The really hosed up thing is that some of the fluff in City by the Silt Sea boxed set indicated that Borys the Dragon was made by relatively rapid fire, coordinated castings of the 10th level metamorphosis spell. One of the published adventures ended with Abalach-Re trying to do something similar, at a rate like a level per round.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

unseenlibrarian posted:

Didn't some of the sorcerer kings have this explained by the fact that they'd genocided some of the regular D&D humanoid types that didn't exist in the setting? Like I think one of them had killed off the Athas gnome population or something, and another one had done for ogres.
They got a lot of them. The big twist is that Rajaat, the guy who had the idea, was basically tricking all these champions, because his plan was to restore Athas to its original inhabitants... and he'd never mentioned to them that that wasn't humans, it was halflings. The guy who became the Dragon nearly finished off the dwarves.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Warthur posted:

It's really, really weird to me that they keep pushing SLA Industries. I don't think it ever really picked up very much steam but the Nightfall guys just keep trying to make SLA a thing and putting out new products at a slow drip.

Why SLA and not, say, Tales of Gargentihr or A|State or any number of other UK indie games which mashes up a really weird setting with a really pedestrian game system?

Tales of Gargentihr is an amazing setting with some of the worst made-up slang and boring rules put together. I ended up running a campaign of it using Savage Worlds that worked pretty well though.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Well, in A|State’s case it’s because Contested Ground are out of the RPG business and don’t want to license the ip to anyone else. Which is fair enough.
I mean, sure, but part of the reason they left the business in the first place was that A|State never really picked up enough of an audience and they weren't able to deliver the support line for it they envisioned. From watching the situation as it happened the impression I got was that Contested Ground scaled back a bit after that, took more of an indie route with Cold City/Hot War, and then disappeared.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Tales of Gargentihr is an amazing setting with some of the worst made-up slang and boring rules put together. I ended up running a campaign of it using Savage Worlds that worked pretty well though.
I mean, that's true, but the slang isn't that much worse than the stuff in SLA or Jorune and both of those have an actual active fan community out there. You're literally the only person I'm aware of who's even run or played Gargentihr.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm always a little weirded out by SLA Industries because it's a game I occasionally see references to but have never once seen a single SI book in a store or heard somebody discuss it except in books like the Munchkin's Guide (which was surprisingly entertaining for a James Desborough product). I think I saw an ad for it once in like Dragon? But anyway it's weird to me that it's apparently a going concern in the tiny RPG industry/scene and has been for like twenty years and I have never encountered anything but sparse references to it. Is it more popular in the UK than in the US or something?
That's pretty much the question I've been asking - what is it with Nightfall still trying to make SLA a thing? If there's a hidden SLA community eagerly beavering away at this stuff over here in the UK they've succeeded at entirely hiding away from me.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I know there was a Savage Worlds conversion that's way more playable from what I've seen but like...yeah, SLA has its place and its place is that weird pseudo-2000AD RPG scene where criticizing people watching TV is a relevant social message. I still like it but like. I'm glad it's playable under SW but that's probably all I need.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Warthur posted:

I mean, that's true, but the slang isn't that much worse than the stuff in SLA or Jorune and both of those have an actual active fan community out there. You're literally the only person I'm aware of who's even run or played Gargentihr.

It is a bizarre as gently caress concept (Continents floating on a sea of dust that compresses and makes bridges between them periodically is not the weirdest thing for example).

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Warthur posted:

That's pretty much the question I've been asking - what is it with Nightfall still trying to make SLA a thing? If there's a hidden SLA community eagerly beavering away at this stuff over here in the UK they've succeeded at entirely hiding away from me.

IIRC there used to be a really active mailing list. I personally lost all interest in SLA once I discovered The Truth, because it was so loving stupid. Did run a fun game of it once though where the characters were the principals in a reality TV show, called Ops! Ran it with BESM.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Mike Stackpole resigned from the GAMA board. Chasing down the links on the incident he mentions, it sounds like it's descended into a real shitshow. (Summary, at my current point of digging: current GAMA president got into a physical altercation with a security guard at Gen Con last year, got kicked out, board only censured him, Stackpole has had enough of the board being shitbags about this.)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Oh, also there seems to have been a weird song and dance going on with Executive Director John Ward, where so far as I can tell the events ran like this:

- GAMA board vote, narrowly, not to renew Ward's contract as Executive Director.
- GAMA voting membership do a non-binding, advisory vote of confidence in Ward; two-thirds support him.
- GAMA board do a poll of the membership to see if they're really sure about Ward (this poll would in theory allow them to get the views of non-voting members). Over 70% support Ward.
- GAMA board go ahead and jettison Ward anyway because ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
This industry needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm surprised it was ever built in the first place.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Warthur posted:

You gotta flog the IP you have, I suppose. They were supposed to put out a big supplement on The Truth, that would have given several options for what The Truth really is. Logically, this also would have allowed the game to move beyond its biggest problem: obsession with its signature NPCs and your PCs hitting a brick wall when they try to advance beyond a certain point. But that never happened.

There are probably enough people nostalgic for SLA that they could do good business on a quality rerelease with some good supplements, but it seems like Nightfall never has their act together.

Pope Guilty posted:

The System Mastery review of A State made it sound like unplayable garbage TBH.

The system is playable, the setting is playable, but the book does a terrible job of giving you real hooks. It likes to dangle stuff in front of your face that's never really explained, not even in the GM section--not unlike SLA. It was also kind of obsessed with being "Dickensian cyberpunk," meaning that there's lots of high-tech stuff in the setting, but your PCs are desperately poor and success means not eating out of the garbage.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 7, 2019

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm surprised it was ever built in the first place.

I think 'accreted' is a better term.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
GAMA's kind of the definition of an Old Boy's Club in the industry, but I don't think it does more than Origins (which has been hilariously mismanaged for awhile now, IMO) and a industry show or two. I mean, they're a thing, but AFAIK they aren't nearly the influencers they used to be.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Alien Rope Burn posted:

GAMA's kind of the definition of an Old Boy's Club in the industry, but I don't think it does more than Origins (which has been hilariously mismanaged for awhile now, IMO) and a industry show or two. I mean, they're a thing, but AFAIK they aren't nearly the influencers they used to be.

Yeah, every year GAMA manages to find new and interesting ways to gently caress up managing Origins, despite the fact that the volunteers that actually do the gruntwork are all doing their best..

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, every year GAMA manages to find new and interesting ways to gently caress up managing Origins, despite the fact that the volunteers that actually do the gruntwork are all doing their best..
They ought to hire the Smithees guys, that always goes off smooth as buttered glass. Alan Smithee presents: Origins!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So there's somebody posting the original version of the Sailor Moon RPG up under Cortex (it is not, it's Tri-Stat) and under the name of Guardian of Order's Mark MacKinnon (very likely not him).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dawgstar posted:

So there's somebody posting the original version of the Sailor Moon RPG up under Cortex (it is not, it's Tri-Stat) and under the name of Guardian of Order's Mark MacKinnon (very likely not him).

This is like three hilariously dumb different kinds of illegal.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Looks like it's already been pulled.

For some reason the system was listed as WOIN, aka "What's Old Is New".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Apparently "Mark" responded to a comment in broken English, so now one can pass the time guessing which country the bizarre attempt at a scam came from.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Why, if you're stealing identities, do you try to steal the identity of a notorious and largely-despised thief? Is it under the impression that nobody else wants it?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

Why, if you're stealing identities, do you try to steal the identity of a notorious and largely-despised thief? Is it under the impression that nobody else wants it?
What's the deal with Mark? I know GoO fell over through financial difficulties but I thought that was standard RPG industry difficulties, was there something worse going on?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Warthur posted:

What's the deal with Mark? I know GoO fell over through financial difficulties but I thought that was standard RPG industry difficulties, was there something worse going on?

After the advantageous CAD to USD conversion went south (killing his business), he dark while still collecting sales checks and then ran off with a significant amount of stock which he has slowly offloaded through various online channels since. Nobody who actually wrote those books saw a dime from the sales.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

I promise you whoever did that did not have the faintest grasp of our inside baseball elfgame drama.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Warthur posted:

Zurui posted:

After the advantageous CAD to USD conversion went south (killing his business), he dark while still collecting sales checks and then ran off with a significant amount of stock which he has slowly offloaded through various online channels since. Nobody who actually wrote those books saw a dime from the sales.
This is more in line with "standard RPG industry difficulties" than I think we like to admit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
He also stole all the hard copies of the second edition of Nobilis from Jenna.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

He also stole all the hard copies of the second edition of Nobilis from Jenna.

I thought Nobilis 2nd edition was Hogshead?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Warthur posted:

I thought Nobilis 2nd edition was Hogshead?
He was the US distributor.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Weren't it like just 1k sacrifices a year to keep the former boss of the sorcerer-kings shackled? I mean the Aztecs killed a shitload more irl and it was on just a smaller expanse.

As an aside, the Aztecs very much probably didn't sacrifice nearly as many people as they said they did. The replacement rate for the population of Mesoamerica wouldn't have really allowed it to happen and a lot of the really large figures were actually Nahuatl idioms for a big number.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Oh really! Interesting.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

As an aside, the Aztecs very much probably didn't sacrifice nearly as many people as they said they did. The replacement rate for the population of Mesoamerica wouldn't have really allowed it to happen and a lot of the really large figures were actually Nahuatl idioms for a big number.

That sounds reasonable! Stuff like the famous 100k sacrifices on a single festival looks unrealistic even if Tenochtitlan had a bigger population than most of European cities during its height.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Well, it's worth remembering that Nahuatl ritual sacrifice was primarily prisoners of war - they were an empire, and one way they maintained that was constant wars where the prisoners were ransomed and/or sacrificed.

E: so while mass sacrifice was still not super likely, the pool of candidates wasn't the metropole, but the subject city-states.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Plutonis posted:

That sounds reasonable! Stuff like the famous 100k sacrifices on a single festival looks unrealistic even if Tenochtitlan had a bigger population than most of European cities during its height.

Yeah, the number was 90k iirc and that is a nahuatl idiom meaning an uncountably large number so who knows how many it really was. I also want to say, and this could be wrong honestly, that the reason why Tenochtitlan's population is larger than any European city mostly comes down to it including the whole metropole whereas the numbers for European cities tend to be just the actual city limits. That could be wrong though.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Well, it's worth remembering that Nahuatl ritual sacrifice was primarily prisoners of war - they were an empire, and one way they maintained that was constant wars where the prisoners were ransomed and/or sacrificed.

E: so while mass sacrifice was still not super likely, the pool of candidates wasn't the metropole, but the subject city-states.

Yeah, flower wars were pretty essential to Aztec society. Aztec society in general is interesting in how it evolved in really weird directions compared to the rest of the world. I am talking about the whole population of Mesoamerica though - the Aztec numbers just wouldn't make sense given what we know of pre-Columbian population numbers in the area. It would also make a lot of sense for them to exaggerate so it's hard to buy at face value the numbers that they give.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

So that person trying to sell the old Sailor Moon RPG is basically just uploading it under different names in various Community Content programs.

Cool cool.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Comrade Gorbash posted:

This is more in line with "standard RPG industry difficulties" than I think we like to admit.

Yeah. As much as the straightforward financial theft is kinda hosed up, it's not nearly as hosed up as, say, the events that slowly came out surrounding the writing of Nobilis 3e.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Roadie posted:

Yeah. As much as the straightforward financial theft is kinda hosed up, it's not nearly as hosed up as, say, the events that slowly came out surrounding the writing of Nobilis 3e.
Wait, what happened there? I missed that news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Zereth posted:

Wait, what happened there? I missed that news

Only drips and drabs of info ever came out, but the implications aren't pleasant. Note that everything there is on top of the more usual "lots of people never got paid", "the company management vanished with the Kickstarter money", etc. Also, lol, one of the Eos Press guys is trying to make books again, so there's a company to avoid.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 10, 2019