Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

We haven't even had a real second contender for the candidacy come forward yet and already there's a bunch of cowards rolling over and going AT LEAST SHE'S GOT A D and ONCE THEY'RE NATIONAL THEY'LL SHIFT LEFT as if that's ever happened a single time ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

EBB posted:

I'll loving die before I give up on this country.
:same:

This and all the sames made my day.

:glomp:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Internet Wizard posted:

We haven't even had a real second contender for the candidacy come forward yet and already there's a bunch of cowards rolling over and going AT LEAST SHE'S GOT A D and ONCE THEY'RE NATIONAL THEY'LL SHIFT LEFT as if that's ever happened a single time ever.

I don't even know what points are being made in this thread at this point. I may not like every democratic candidate but I'll be god damned if I pick an R over them in 2019. We literally don't have time for this bullshit on the climate front alone.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

EBB posted:

I'll loving die before I give up on this country.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/AriBerman/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Dems acting like they have majority :aaa:

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
This is one reason I think parliamentary systems can be good. Everyone gets to wear their jersey for their little team and the compatible ones stick together and occasionally form a functioning government. But at the end of the day they still wear different jerseys and can yell at each other and appeal to their minority base.

Our two party system has one side united under a handful of dumbass single-issue litmus tests like abortion, guns and taxes. I don't know what will fix the Democrat side, but maybe they can all wear different jerseys at the national convention and have a minitaure parliamentary pissing contest between green and DSA and "old/rich as gently caress". After the pissing contest is over, unite behind a candidate.

I think the real answer is run progressives at the local races on up, primary the lukewarm centrists and start to change the DNA of the party. It won't happen overnight, but it can work.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
current events thread more like libral proppaganda thread am I rite

F for my kurdish boys about be put to the turkish pike. One day there will be a kurdistan, inshallah.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Handsome Ralph posted:

I feel you. I have dual citizenship, and while I would loveeeee to buy a place in Nova Scotia one day, I'm not gonna do that on account of "Oh, Trump won and my politics aren't working out here, guess I'll just move to Canada to solve the problem."

I mean the idea that some people have that Canada doesn't have it's own set of issues and chuds is loving hilarious.

I know, have you SEEN some of those upcountry folk in Letterkenny?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

MaxPowers posted:

F for my kurdish boys about be put to the turkish pike. One day there will be a kurdistan, inshallah.

ffffffffffff

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

It's good legislation, not just in content but in giving the Democrats something solid to campaign on right off the bat. Each of those measures is extremely popular on their own, and forcing the Republicans to vote against it in the House and to ignore it in the Senate strengthens the messaging contrast between the Democrats as being ~for the people~ and the Republicans as being power-obsessed assholes who answer only to their donors.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Bored As gently caress posted:

I know, have you SEEN some of those upcountry folk in Letterkenny?

loving degens

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Nova Scotia is lovely if you don't need to work because lol at jobs in the Maritimes.

Trailer Park Boys is a legit documentary.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/aoc_dances/status/1081112365641326592?s=21

Of course an “aoc dances to everything” account now exists.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MA-Horus posted:

Nova Scotia is lovely if you don't need to work because lol at jobs in the Maritimes.

Trailer Park Boys is a legit documentary.

I can work remotely so that would hopefully negate the issue on my end so long as we stayed close to Halifax. My wife on the other hand, would have issues because unless she opens her own veterinary practice, she'd be hard pressed to find another veterinary job that she enjoys.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MaxPowers posted:

I am amazed if they will ever trust us again with our track record of leaving them swinging in the breeze when they're not politically useful.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I really think they 'trust' us because they have no other option. Being a temporary ally buys them some breathing room for a bit but they must know by now that we are gonna gently caress them.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's good legislation, not just in content but in giving the Democrats something solid to campaign on right off the bat. Each of those measures is extremely popular on their own, and forcing the Republicans to vote against it in the House and to ignore it in the Senate strengthens the messaging contrast between the Democrats as being ~for the people~ and the Republicans as being power-obsessed assholes who answer only to their donors.

It’s good legislation that will go nowhere in the Senate.

Not trying to be purposefully pessimistic. The bill and the vote on it sends a good message.

I feel like the same thing is playing out that happened in 2010 with ACA repeal. However, you don’t have Democrats jumping up and down saying they saved voting rights.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, holy poo poo. This is exactly the kind of gut-stabbed knife twisting I've dreamed of and makes a fantastic campaign for the future. "Here's the law we put out. Republicans voted it down. Why DO they want us to keep gerrymandering and privately funded elections without easy voter registration? This is what you'll get if you vote for us"

Hope it works.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

MaxPowers posted:

YPG on that real poo poo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Troop Supporter at work

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/...r%3D1290%23pti1

quote:

The ruling hands Trump a win in a case that has seen several courts block the policy. But the policy still cannot take effect because of those other injunctions, which applied nationwide.

“Although today’s decision is not a final determination on the merits, we must recognize that the Mattis Plan plausibly relies upon the ‘considered professional judgment’ of ‘appropriate military officials’ ... and appears to permit some transgender individuals to serve in the military consistent with established military mental health, physical health, and sex-based standards,” wrote a three-judge panel on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

MaxPowers posted:

F, stay strong havals.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My idiot coworker is demanding decorum when dealing with the president.

“I won’t debate with anyone who brings emotion to talks”

The president is a lying shitbag who constantly degrades people all around him.

There’s just no dealing with these people.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/NBCPolitics/status/1081241558270259202

:toot:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

LingcodKilla posted:

Is your coworker Vulcan or some poo poo?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Anybody who believes spending $$$$$$ to defeat a $ problem like illegal border crossings is already using emotion so the overriding rule is "don't debate with liars."

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Jesus so many hot takes about politics it's like I'm standing on the sun.

The correct singular and only method for voting is from the rooftops - and that #2 is supersized

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Wtf is their obsession with debate? “People may actually die as a result of the policies Shartacus the Unwise is putting in place, but let’s play a game with words so I can run up the score instead of doing anything meaningful! :downs:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

LingcodKilla posted:

It's just this:

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1081223648927715328

And also this:

https://twitter.com/andizeisler/status/1080923071513427969

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 4, 2019

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Things are going well.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1081258149888360449?s=19

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

^^^ :stare:

Surely we can peel off some impeachment votes in the Senate if Trump goes down that road? Nah, this the GOP we're talking about.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1081234130841600000?s=20

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 4, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Icon Of Sin posted:

Wtf is their obsession with debate? “People may actually die as a result of the policies Shartacus the Unwise is putting in place, but let’s play a game with words so I can run up the score instead of doing anything meaningful! :downs:

It’s this. He can’t be wrong.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also "debate" can mean the person demanding "debate" just obfuscates and says a lot of nothing and bitches about which Latin debate term they feel like misusing until the other person gets annoyed or pissed and then you can go "Ahh, see, I am calm and collected, and you are showing your emotional weakness."

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

DoktorLoken posted:

^^^ :stare:

Surely we can peel off some impeachment votes in the Senate if Trump goes down that road? Nah, this the GOP we're talking about.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1081234130841600000?s=20

She’s cool.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

well that was a quick jump to fetish territory

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Gonna be funny when people don't get their tax refund checks and begin to understand why.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Look we can't have emotions getting involved in child concentration camps that are killing them with dehydration and easily treatable sicknesses. We have to rationally evaluate the pros and cons of permanently separating kids from their parents via neglect and cruelty then declaring it to be "deterrence" or how can we ever make any progress towards a solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I hate to say this since its our entry drug to dystopia hellworld, but a big thing in late 2019 and 2020 will be GOTV memes for your candidate. Any serious candidate really needs a meme team. Literally people dedicated to making, finding, and spreading the best memes for your candidate and the best sick burns against the other. All 'unaffiliated' with the candidate. Making sidechannel facebook groups and subreddits, posting anonymously on 4chan etc.