Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh i wasn't even talking about miss chances lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

Controversial take: I really didn't like Blood Money. It was super finicky and for all the talk of you can play it how you want it seemed for the levels I played you were expected to follow one route to do things perfectly otherwise it would never work.

Agreed

Really tempted to get back into Hitman (2016), I never did most of the optional stuff

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

see also:

quote:

The Critical Hit bug is present in every version of the original Final Fantasy (though its status as a bug in more recent versions is debatable since it seems to have been intentionally retained). Instead of loading a weapon's critical hit rate, the game loads the weapon's index number. The practical effect of this bug is that critical hits are slightly less common than they were intended to be at the beginning of the game, and substantially more common than they were meant to be at the end of the game.
and

quote:

The Intelligence bug is a bug found in both the NES and PS versions of Final Fantasy. In the game, Intelligence is supposed to be a factor in how much damage or healing a spell will do, or how effective it is, but is never factored in, essentially meaning that a Red Mage can use Cure just as well as a White Mage, with neither being better at it than the other. This also means that magic spells never become more powerful, with any given magic spell being just as powerful when cast by low-level or high-level characters. Combined with the Critical Hit bug this results in magic being overall less powerful than physical attacks.

edit: gently caress i'm falling down a rabbit hole here, here's the rest for final fantasy 1 and i'll shut up

quote:

In the Nintendo Entertainment System version some weapons have special abilities, which have no effect.

Were Sword - Does not inflict more damage on Were-creatures.
Rune Sword - Does not inflict more damage on magic-using or supernatural creatures.
Dragon Sword - Does not inflict more damage on Dragon and dragon-kin creatures.
Coral Sword - Does not inflict more damage on sea creatures.
Giant Sword - Does not inflict more damage on Giants/Ogres or their kin.
Flame Sword - Does not inflict more damage on Fire-weak, undead, or regenerative creatures.
Ice Sword - Does not inflict more damage on Ice-weak creatures.
Sun Sword - Does not inflict more damage on undead creatures.
Light Axe - Does not inflict more damage on undead creatures.
Xcaliber - Does not inflict more damage on every creature-type and elemental weakness.

The enemy attack bug in the NES version of Final Fantasy makes status ailments inflicted by standard enemy attacks exempt from items intended to make characters immune to them.

For example, a Knight with an Aegis Shield should be immune to Stone, but a Cockatrice can still turn him to stone as a side-effect of its regular attack.

This bug makes Mindflayers especially dangerous, since their attacks have an instant death side-effect that the Protect Ring cannot prevent.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 4, 2019

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
As some of you may know, when Final Fantasy II was originally released on the Famicom, one thing that was quite a popular topic at the time was the Ultima spell, which was very difficult to acquire, but was also practically useless.

Just to give you an idea of how useless it was, in the NES version of the game, Ultima was initially meant to increase its power relative to the level of other spells the caster had, but due to a bug, it caused the spell to do just around 500 damage at the most on a single target.

Baffled by how the series’ most powerful spell ended up being so weak in its debut game, Iwasaki and other fellow developers spoke with Hironobu Sakaguchi, who directed Final Fantasy II, about how that ended up happening.

At the time, when Square tested the game out and saw the Ultima bug, it was definitely a problem, and Sakaguchi said “How did this happen? Fix it.” However, the person that programmed it replied with the following statement:

“All of that legendary stuff, it dates back to an age that didn’t even have proper techniques. If you were to look at such things now in the present’s point-of-view, it would be natural that they look inferior. For this reason, it’s a given that Ultima’s abilities would be bad.”

“As for those who struggled and ultimately acquired it only to find out that it’s useless… well, that’s something that often happens in life. So, I’m not going to fix it!”

Naturally, Sakaguchi was rather irritated by that reply and said “whatever, just give me the source,” so he could fix it himself. As it turned out, the programmer had ciphered the source, so he ended up being the only one who could do anything with it, and it was just left the way it was.

It's fun to realize Square was always just this weird mismanaged hellhole where people do as they please.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Saint Freak posted:

As some of you may know, when Final Fantasy II was originally released on the Famicom, one thing that was quite a popular topic at the time was the Ultima spell, which was very difficult to acquire, but was also practically useless.

Just to give you an idea of how useless it was, in the NES version of the game, Ultima was initially meant to increase its power relative to the level of other spells the caster had, but due to a bug, it caused the spell to do just around 500 damage at the most on a single target.

Baffled by how the series’ most powerful spell ended up being so weak in its debut game, Iwasaki and other fellow developers spoke with Hironobu Sakaguchi, who directed Final Fantasy II, about how that ended up happening.

At the time, when Square tested the game out and saw the Ultima bug, it was definitely a problem, and Sakaguchi said “How did this happen? Fix it.” However, the person that programmed it replied with the following statement:

“All of that legendary stuff, it dates back to an age that didn’t even have proper techniques. If you were to look at such things now in the present’s point-of-view, it would be natural that they look inferior. For this reason, it’s a given that Ultima’s abilities would be bad.”

“As for those who struggled and ultimately acquired it only to find out that it’s useless… well, that’s something that often happens in life. So, I’m not going to fix it!”

Naturally, Sakaguchi was rather irritated by that reply and said “whatever, just give me the source,” so he could fix it himself. As it turned out, the programmer had ciphered the source, so he ended up being the only one who could do anything with it, and it was just left the way it was.

It's fun to realize Square was always just this weird mismanaged hellhole where people do as they please.

Where'd you source this 'cos I'd like to read more

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Ciaphas posted:

Where'd you source this 'cos I'd like to read more

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/10/20/final-fantasys-first-ultima-spell-useless/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cheers, love development retrospectives like this

(F76 is going to be something else :allears:)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

more of a post mortem than a retrospective

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

serious question: do ya'll think professional streamers are less equipped to handle social issues just by way of their job/the types of people who do it for a living or is there no connection to be made between abuse and games

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fortnite-star-allegedly-hit-pregnant-girlfriend-during-stream-why-hasnt-twitch-banned-him

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

more of a post mortem than a retrospective

exactly, "what the hell happened :psyduck:" horror (or sometimes not horror, just weird) stories are the best part of games after the games themselves

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

DLC Inc posted:

serious question: do ya'll think professional streamers are less equipped to handle social issues just by way of their job/the types of people who do it for a living or is there no connection to be made between abuse and games

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fortnite-star-allegedly-hit-pregnant-girlfriend-during-stream-why-hasnt-twitch-banned-him

Not a nightmare social scenario

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

10 years ago there was that WoW goon who missed the birth of his child to raid and got banned, if he just waited until the advent of twitch he'd probably be rewarded with 2,000 more followers and donations to stream from the delivery room.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

DLC Inc posted:

Tragedy tourism at its finest, and the Beeze still gets his pound of flesh.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The platforms for games are designed in a way that favors and amplifies the voices of racists and misogynists, and the platform holders will never be your allies.

The reason every trending gamer turns out to be a bigot is because that is the only kind of person who could win the award, not because the trophies are made out of racist kryptonite.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok, my experience with Skate is I see a trick that looks impossible, gently caress it up 50 times before somehow fluking it with no idea how I did it.

So pretty much like skating in real life :v:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Someone please stop gamers

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Songbearer posted:

Someone please stop gamers

I've placed a bottle of Bawls energy drink on top of a pit trap, so I've done my part

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
So few reproduce it should take care of itself really.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve subscribed to that Bollywood youtube channel competing with pewdiepie

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the only channels i subscribe to on youtube are cybershell and durhamrockerz, neither of which produce content anymore

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve subscribed to that Bollywood youtube channel competing with pewdiepie

hosed up that you'd be so spiteful towards a struggling artist like pewds

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

gently caress you Nintendo. :/

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Bowsette lives on in our hearts and fanarts.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Nintendo is not actually powerful enough to stop her

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
...did we ever think Bowsette was canon? It was a fan creation the entire time, what's changed

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

haveblue posted:

...did we ever think Bowsette was canon? It was a fan creation the entire time, what's changed

Nintendo wrote like one sentence on some website saying only Toadette can wear the crown (it's even less than that, it's saying only she can use the item in the game). It's just a tongue-in-cheek "don't expect Bowsette in a game" side reference. It's a moderately funny non-story that got an entire article written about it because there isn't a single games column that isn't crap.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

We gotta write articles about something

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

I said come in! posted:

bowser can still date mario if you want

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'd like to see an item like that for all four of them in NSMBU. Turn Mario and Luigi into Wario and Waluigi, and give Toad glorious hairy legs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im still blown away they want 42 dollars for Arms

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm surprised to see you say that, because i didn't realize nintendo did sales

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Real hurthling! posted:

Idk but i never use mudo or whatever in smt cause it never works when i need it

I think Hama and Mudo are 100% hit chance if the enemy is weak to it? At least it is like that in Persona.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Samuringa posted:

I think Hama and Mudo are 100% hit chance if the enemy is weak to it? At least it is like that in Persona.

That might be true for Mudoon and Hamaon but it definitely isn't for the base spells.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

When I played through Blood Money a couple of years back the thing that I had forgotten about it is how odd most of the people in the game look. Most of the men are built like professional wrestlers and most of the women have tiny waists and big boobs. I don't think that was a thing in Contracts, but it was definitely also a thing in Absolution (more so with the way the women looked).

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The greatest and best gaming YouTube channel just put out their first content

https://youtu.be/lxvjEpyJhd8

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Miyamoto fears Bowsette

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rarity posted:

Miyamoto fears Bowsette

First it was Mario and Luigi kissing, now Bowsette. When does it end?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

cheetah7071 posted:

Nintendo wrote like one sentence on some website saying only Toadette can wear the crown (it's even less than that, it's saying only she can use the item in the game). It's just a tongue-in-cheek "don't expect Bowsette in a game" side reference. It's a moderately funny non-story that got an entire article written about it because there isn't a single games column that isn't crap.

how dare they write like a hundred words about a joke lol

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Apparently the Project Cars devs are making their own console :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dr Cheeto posted:

how dare they write like a hundred words about a joke lol

a hundred words explaining a 10 word joke is pretty pointless and dumb yeah. Harmless but dumb