Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Boxelder bugs, not beetles :science:
I only know cause I had a moderate infestation last year. This year has been better so far but it's only just getting cold, there'll be a wave getting into the house very soon.
I'm not even sure where there's a drat box elder tree around here and the bugs only live on that species of tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The bugs have been dead for a month, here.

We got a bonus month of summer and i squandered it :negative:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Boxelder bugs, not beetles :science:
I only know cause I had a moderate infestation last year. This year has been better so far but it's only just getting cold, there'll be a wave getting into the house very soon.
I'm not even sure where there's a drat box elder tree around here and the bugs only live on that species of tree.

Dammit, and I knew that too! I was researching them last year on how to get rid of them. None really made it into my house, just tons on the siding. Basically every house down here. I make it a habit to just not kill bugs/beetles/whatever, I go so far as to try to move them, but gently caress it with those things. There are so many of them, I've seen front steps of homes look like a murder took place with all the bug guts.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Mister fancy with all his webastos in his luxury european truck. Back in my day, we slept in the truck down to -15 with the truck shut off. Some days we had to put a torch on the oil pan to get the truck running. you kids don't know how good you have it.

We got super lucky with a really nice fall so far. Even the current forecast has +1 by the middle of the month, which is good, because i haven't done gently caress all to prepare for winter.

LoL at trican we used to just run the trucks 24/7 at high idle whenever it was below -15. And then do a filter and oil swap every 300 hours. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

LoL at trican we used to just run the trucks 24/7 at high idle whenever it was below -15. And then do a filter and oil swap every 300 hours. :(

Every two weeks the new guy in the shop gets to see how fast he can change oil on a running engine! :v:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I mean, I guess if you have the fresh oil measured out and ready to go, and a pan with a full level marked out, you could theoretically do a running oil change. Filter on a running engine would get reaaaaaal messy though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you have a good idea of the rate your truck leaks oil, you can just constantly add for a never-ending oil change :smug:

Also, i talked earlier about what a shithole Wetaskawin has become, This year's Macleans crime thing, Wetaskawin increased by nearly twice as much as the next city(Red Deer, whoop whoooooooooop) and is now Alberta's most dangerous city.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
♩Life costs less in Wetaskiwin♬

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm driving from Lethbridge to Medicine Hat right now and I'm getting bugs all over my drat windshield.

Wtf?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

CLIMATE CHANGE IS A CHINESE HOAX

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Driving down to YYC in an hour or so.

Any recommendations for where I should eat tonight?

Also, have we decided on when and where we're all meeting up for dinner this week? Wednesday or Thursday?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

Also, have we decided on when and where we're all meeting up for dinner this week? Wednesday or Thursday?

Tekkotsu-ya is the best ramen you'll ever have in a trailer park, Boogies owns if you haven't been, if you're in the same hotel as last time you're not far from really good Indian but I'll have to check their hours when I remember what the place is called cause it's more of a lunch oriented spot.
Thursday's my birthday, all my plans are on the weekend tho so I'm free whatever day everyone else is cool with.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

McTinkerson posted:

Rose Garden down on Stephen ave if you dig Thai food. It's my #1 go-to if I have time. Small family place, good prices but the food is fantastic. Not really a place for atmosphere, but quiet and laid back.

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?

McTinkerson posted:

This is my fav Korean place in downtown Calgary. Kind of tricky to find and seems like a bit of a hole (all the best places are), but their Korean fried chicken with sweet and spicy sauce is out of this loving world.

Probably depends on what sort of food you are in the mood for.

https://goo.gl/maps/fU57nGMGFLP2 (Bonga Korean Restaurant)

IKillForPie fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 27, 2018

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I'm good for Wednesday only this week it looks like.

I'm also down for whatever we come up with, but if you want a suggestion, I'm kind of craving Mexican lately, so I'd say Anejo.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 27, 2018

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Alright, so slung can't do Wednesday but I have to buy him dinner since he's doing me a super duper solid.

So I'm good to meet you guys on Wednesday and Slung on Thursday.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Chips can't make Thursday, so if there's any other conflict with Thursday, we should proceed with dinner on Wednesday. You can always catch me another time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

167kph gusts near Waterton yesterday, and 140+ around Claresholm. Interestingly enough, Lethbridge had nothing near that.

Having dinner with some friends tonight, the husband works as a wind turbine tech. I'm curious to talk to him about that.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I bet he'll spend all evening muttering to himself and rocking back and forth, clutching his legs to his chest.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

I bet he'll spend all evening muttering to himself and rocking back and forth, clutching his legs to his chest.

The shear... the shear...

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOHOlVBD9p8

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Haha, he did get a little seasick from all the rocking. I guess he was uptower in one for something like 4 hours and that's the one that did it.

Other than getting a little queasy, and some unusual rattles and bangs, uneventful enough until he had to pour in some hydraulic oil.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/break-in-at-red-deer-business/

I don't know what shocks me more, the fact that there is still a sewing machine repair shop, or that someone would want to break into it to steal sewing machines.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I would say it was staged for an insurance claim but I don’t know how that guy would’ve made it to 2018 without some sort of customer base. Maybe Red Deer is just big on sewing?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Desperate Hutterites

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There are at least two long-lasting sewing machine repair places on Centre Street in Calgary. That property tax can't be cheap.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

There's a new place opened up an hour from me that does sales/service on sewing machines. Apparently the industry's picking back up - lots of younger people getting into quilting/sewing their own clothing.
It's something I'm glad to see come back, as quilts are loving amazing. The wife makes them for people, and they really are a labour of love - so much work goes into them.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

That and there's all sorts of textile work going on in the city. Tailoring, alterations and custom garments, industrial textiles(tarps and stuff), hell somebody in Calgary sews my coveralls back together when my :btroll: rear end blows a seam out. That along with the grandmas and the younger hobbyists and you've got a healthy demand.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Also, it's impractical to ship a sewing machine away to be fixed in China. One of those blue-collar jobs that will never disappear, I guess. And probably recession-proof, since more people will do alterations when the economy is bad.

gently caress, I wasted all that money on school.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Not to mention that once you have a sewing machine, automotive upholstery is possible and advisable.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Merry Christmas friendoes. Hope you're all having a good day.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

same! Also, whats all this white poo poo n the ground north of Calgary??

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

A belated Merry Christmas / Festivus guys and may your boxing day shopping be successful and stress free.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Another day that ends in "Y" in Southern Alberta. Wind blowing full sized gravel on the highway

https://globalnews.ca/news/4801354/alberta-driver-gravel-windstorm-pincher-creek/

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
We were driving back from Lethbridge that day, but a little farther out to I-15, so a bit less windy than right against the mountains. A gust of something like 104mph was recorded in the east glacier/browning area.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

We're in it again right now. Flipside, that bit of snow we got last week is completely gone, so much so now even the streets are bone dry and the gravel has blown to saskatchewan

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-116.07,51.80,3000

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Noice.

Might break the porsche or bike out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Holy poo poo, it was beautiful today. Broke out the car and it was 16 degrees by the time I got it out around 2:00. Simply gorgeous and no wind at all in town. Nicer than most days in April. Bikes and summer cars where everywhere. City of Lethbridge has even begun street sweeping (just a titch premature me thinks) but that was just fine by me for today.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Definitely wish I was keeping the KTM in town cause I would’ve gotten it out today. Last few winters have been fairly rough so it’s nice we’re getting a mild one this go round, although I’d hazard to guess the farmers aren’t too happy with the lack of snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidpoocati posted:

Definitely wish I was keeping the KTM in town cause I would’ve gotten it out today. Last few winters have been fairly rough so it’s nice we’re getting a mild one this go round, although I’d hazard to guess the farmers aren’t too happy with the lack of snow.

If my neighbors are any indication, Farmers are never happy.

slidebite posted:

Holy poo poo, it was beautiful today. Broke out the car and it was 16 degrees by the time I got it out around 2:00. Simply gorgeous and no wind at all in town. Nicer than most days in April. Bikes and summer cars where everywhere. City of Lethbridge has even begun street sweeping (just a titch premature me thinks) but that was just fine by me for today.

Ehhh if they're smart, and I don't see why they're not, hopefully they're sweeping to collect all the grit they threw down so it can be reused later.