Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

Haven't posted here in a long time - had my ZX14R totalled, switched down to a CBR600f4i for a year to get back into the swing of things, then at the end of the summer, bought a 2015 VFR800...which I proceeded to realize I kind of hated riding. There was nothing wrong with it, but it just felt...blah.

Naturally, the solution was to buy this monstrosity.

Only got to ride it once, home from the dealership, and didn't really want to try pushing the tires in the cold weather. Even on medium power mode....good god does it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hell yeah.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
About time someone here bought a good bike

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Now THATS a bike.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slavvy posted:

It shows how crappy reality often is compared to fantasy, seeing as an effort to build the hypothetical bike you're describing results in the versys 650...
Versus 650 is exactly that. Comfortable Jack of all trades bike. If you're tall and heavy, upgrade to super tenere

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

the ST is horribly boring though, just like the versys

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I like boring bikes, thought I really wanted a ST, and even I came away from a test ride saying "nope".

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TeamIce posted:

Haven't posted here in a long time - had my ZX14R totalled, switched down to a CBR600f4i for a year to get back into the swing of things, then at the end of the summer, bought a 2015 VFR800...which I proceeded to realize I kind of hated riding. There was nothing wrong with it, but it just felt...blah.

Naturally, the solution was to buy this monstrosity.

Only got to ride it once, home from the dealership, and didn't really want to try pushing the tires in the cold weather. Even on medium power mode....good god does it go.

Takes serious gumption to think one requires an H2R.

Is it as low speed friendly as Busas and some other superbikes that snarl only under WOT?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
gently caress that's sick

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
That's not an H2r, is it? Straight H2 by the looks - are you going to change over the running gear to the R spec (exhaust, flash etc) or leave it stock?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I guess if it's your first bike you don't really need the R. But take good care of it, you'll want to maximize the resale value when you outgrow it and need to upgrade.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Isolationist posted:

That's not an H2r, is it? Straight H2 by the looks - are you going to change over the running gear to the R spec (exhaust, flash etc) or leave it stock?

I hope so, 200 hp is barely enough power to get out of it's own way

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
It’s a SX.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Frosty- posted:

It’s a SEX.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

Isolationist posted:

Yeah, it's an H2 SX SE, not an H2. Kind of kicking myself as the SE+ is coming out next year which will have an active electronic suspension, but oh well. Got a killer deal on this.

As far as how it goes, it's pretty sedate at lower rpm, but it picks up stunningly fast, especially past 6k or so. It's also super comfy - the suspension's a fantastic compromise between handling and comfort, and same with the riding position. The exhaust is much quieter than I expected, but once the supercharger spools the chirping is quite addictive. The quickshifter is also really nice on it since it does both up and downshifts - I've read that it's not as good as the offerings from Honda/BMW, but it seemed pretty drat good from my limited playing around with it...can see it especially being nice for longer rides to give the clutch hand a break. Also has cruise control, which to be honest, I'll probably never use.

As far as flashing it goes, probably not - though I'll see how it feels in a year or two. I've seen reports of people hitting around 245 or so hp on it with just a reflash and basic bolt ons, but that just seems like a death wish.

TeamIce fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 5, 2019

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I mean really, modern Corollas are making that horsepower I don’t really see the big deal.

:stare:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

new years day view was awesome:

as was the ride to it

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

New bike.

1999 DR650
Excel Takasago wheels built (I think) on stock hubs, pretty new Shinko 705s, GSXR muffler, suspension upgrades front and rear. Needs some pretty minor stuff done, like cleaning up a little bit of PO wiring on the rear blinkers, putting a cover back on the airbox, good mirrors, handguards. Otherwise pretty drat immaculate for its age.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Noice.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm obscenely jealous of your dr sumo. How does it handle compared to other sumos or dualsports you've ridden?

Sorry I never replied to your PM's. I've been so busy. A little late but I'll try to reply to them soon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m jealous!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

I'm obscenely jealous of your dr sumo. How does it handle compared to other sumos or dualsports you've ridden?

Sorry I never replied to your PM's. I've been so busy. A little late but I'll try to reply to them soon.

I have never ridden another sumo, and so far I've only ridden this one about a mile for a test ride. It is throttle-happy (may have a 1/4 turn throttle mod?) and a little more of a beast than I expected it to be. The airbox is wide open on the top and also missing the side hatch, and has a K&N filter on it, so it's also loud as gently caress which tells my ears it's more powerful than it is, probably. It's lowered, so I can flatfoot it easily. WRT other dual sports, it's similar to a TR650 I guess. Tall gearing, a bunch of torque. I was bouncing on the suspension to see how it was set up and accidentally goosed the throttle and the front came right off the ground at about 30 mph in 2nd or 3rd gear. So off-idle, it's torquier than every other dual sport I've been on (KLR650, KLR250, DRZ, DR350, TR650, DL650).

The rear shock has Factory Connection and KYB stickers on it, plus an Eibach spring. I think it was probably sent to FC for a rebuild, and I'm kind of puzzled over what the KYB part(s) might be. I don't know what has been done to the forks other than lowering. It may just be the factory lowering where you move the spacer down to the damper rod, or it could be something like the Procycle solution, with Eibach 0.47 springs and a set of emulators or intimators. I suspect the latter, given that the PPO seemed to dump a bunch of money into setting this thing up specifically for riding on pavement in North Carolina.

I'm not going to do much besides check the NSU bolts eventually and set it up for touring. Probably just a good set of handguards, mirrors, distribution block and some outlets for GPS/phone/heated gear, and maybe a windscreen. A dirt wheelset eventually as well, but with nearly new 705s on there, I can do Forest Service and county roads with no problem, which is my main interest now anyhow.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You might be surprised at how capable sumo tires are in the dirt. Really only mud stops them

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You might be surprised at how capable sumo tires are in the dirt. Really only mud stops them

I discovered they also do not perform in snow.

I'm thinking more for bashability on rocks and poo poo, and also a little bigger front wheel for handling deeper ruts and getting over stuff.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Goons I did it. I bought the bike I posted about 2 months ago in the other thread.

It's a '14 Ninja 650. Original owner bought it, binned it, couldn't afford to fix it, and sold it to my mechanic friend. Mechanic friend fixed the broken bits, nakedized it, then never rode it. Now it's mine. It is my first motorcycle.

Early thoughts, coming from 15 years of riding scooters:
  • Wrapping your legs around a cold, wet tank is awful
  • so fast

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Nice! That was my planned first bike too, but it didn't end up working out. I find the cold, wet tank becomes pretty warm and nice after you get going, but I've never ridden a scooter in cold weather to compare. Bikes to me feel way more stable/safe at higher speeds than scooters, but I've only had a limited amount of scooter time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Goons I did it. I bought the bike I posted about 2 months ago in the other thread.

It's a '14 Ninja 650. Original owner bought it, binned it, couldn't afford to fix it, and sold it to my mechanic friend. Mechanic friend fixed the broken bits, nakedized it, then never rode it. Now it's mine. It is my first motorcycle.

• so fast

Bet that steering feels fu-hahcking heavy!

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Pimp-rear end DR
If it's running any performance mods, might be worth considering removing the belly pain to improve heat reduction - my (same colour, the BEST) sumo DR650 blew the piston due to sustained throttle (10+ hours at 110 kp/h).

No matter what you do, don't do the 790 big bore/cams kit from procycle, it's a waste. Enjoy the bike for what it is!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If ten hours at 110kmh killed your DR it was probably running really lean tbh.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Isolationist posted:

If it's running any performance mods, might be worth considering removing the belly pain to improve heat reduction - my (same colour, the BEST) sumo DR650 blew the piston due to sustained throttle (10+ hours at 110 kp/h).

No matter what you do, don't do the 790 big bore/cams kit from procycle, it's a waste. Enjoy the bike for what it is!

Yeah, no interest in the big bore kits, I think this thing already has plenty of grunt for me. If I do any of the touring I hope to, it’ll probably be in the desert, so I’ve been thinking about what to do to mitigate heat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, a DR can sit at 70mph forever without blowing up. If yours popped, there was something else wrong.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

• so fast

A good bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Wrapping your legs around a cold, wet tank is awful

Wait until the summer, when you're blasting around on a 100-degree day and you pull into a gas station and fill up with cold gas from the underground tank, and you wrap your legs around it and ride away and there's this wonderful coolness

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think I would feel so out of control without being able to straddle the bike. I've never ridden a scooter and when I think about riding a fast one without the ability to grip with my legs, I just can't see it being comfortable.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's kind of like a dirt bike, you just sort of semi stand and in the corners there's usually enough of a seat protrusion to hook your leg over and lean off a bit. The really big ones you just brace your feet hard against the front board, very similar to riding a foot forward cruiser with a tank you can't grip.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slavvy posted:

Bet that steering feels fu-hahcking heavy!

It takes SO LONG to change direction

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think I would feel so out of control without being able to straddle the bike. I've never ridden a scooter and when I think about riding a fast one without the ability to grip with my legs, I just can't see it being comfortable.

On most 125/150ish scooters the floorboards wrap around the seat a little, so you can get your feet beneath your rear end and kinda grip the seat, which is what I usually do. And then I’ll put a foot forward to put weight into the floorboards instead of the bars when braking. And that’s also where the rear brake is on my Stella.

The weirdest thing coming from scooters is engine braking. Totally alien. One of my scooters is CVT, which barely resists, and the other is a manual but 2-stroke, so it also offers little braking and I never coast in gear because I worry about lubrication.

I keep coasting with the clutch in like I do on the Stella but I’m trying to break that habit. I’m just always surprised still at how much engine braking there is, and it feels like I have no control over the rate of slow with it. Such an alien feeling.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Twins have a lot more engine brake than comparable fours too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Wait until you try an electric bike with the regen disabled. It's like coasting on a bicycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

You can disable regen?? What is it, electromagnets...? ??? Alternators with clutches on them?