Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Oh also I packed Walker in my sliver 3 squad battle rewards lol, and I've been running this team in preparation of MVP Martinez

It starts off in a 441 on 100 chem. SBC piatti is an insane CAM. Really glad I'm finally getting around to using his card. He has the (as of now) still broken finesse shot trait and 5* skills +93 stamina. IF Valencia is a great DM on stay back. I replaced Fred with Herrera. The squad is just great. Martinez is already overpowered so a special card will just take it to the next level. SIF Valeri is very very good as well. Crazy good shooting for a CAM.

I'm gonna cash in on futswap Lerma this month. I'm trying to resurrect a squad around 74 Cordoba this year which makes him a necessity.

Valeri to Piatti. I'm pretty sure they both have really high composure and reactions which is nice.

Once I cash out big time on my horde of IFs im probably gonna bounce between the MLS squad and super Squad built around flashback Pato, IF Hulk, and CL cuadrado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I'm thinking of doing the Insigne SBC, slapping deadeye on him and using him as a CAM. Not strong enough as an ST I think. However, the price tag is kinda putting me off. What do you guys think? Worth it?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Elliptical Dick posted:

I'm thinking of doing the Insigne SBC, slapping deadeye on him and using him as a CAM. Not strong enough as an ST I think. However, the price tag is kinda putting me off. What do you guys think? Worth it?

definitely not worth it. you can just buy his IF if you want a striker insigne, the stats are almost the same but he's cheaper, and tradeable.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
cup final, 94th minute (3 minutes of stoppage), down by 1.

HOLLA AT YA BOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8UOGaPB0wI

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I want Christmas Sonny really bad but I don’t think I can afford him 😭

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

All the christmas sbcs have either been poo poo or really badly priced. Completely overpriced comapred to previous years. I got Doumbia as a joke and that was it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

All the christmas sbcs have either been poo poo or really badly priced. Completely overpriced comapred to previous years. I got Doumbia as a joke and that was it.

yeah these blow

the only untradeable I have built all year is Lucas who was a fuckin sick deal

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I would've done Saracchi for 20-30k. But for 70k? It's a joke. The best value were UCL live cards if you got in early. Renato and Cuadrado are insane. Fahrmann is really good as well. I'm gonna buy Benzema, Pique, and Philip during christmas/new years crash as well. One of those six cards will get like 4-5 more upgrades and become insane and I reckon I can get Benzema for 100, pique 100 and philip for 50.

A preview of how crazy certain cards can become v
https://www.futbin.com/rttf

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I made like 50k off Sanches and like 100k of Fekir or something from the UCL Live cards, but I got Raul with that money at CAM

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006
All I want for futmas is Allan or Kondogbia.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
i just want some sbcs that arent hella overpriced and a baby icon sbc.

bonafideb3ast
Sep 14, 2013
Futmas Torreira was an absolute steal. I’ve been nothing but pleased with him so far.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Should I still be holding on to all those Valencia IF's I bought when he was mentioned ITT?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Got red Jesus from my WL rewards, nice!

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006

hopterque posted:

Got red Jesus from my WL rewards, nice!

Same, but fitting him into my team would require me to drop Lewa or IF Mertens and get Alex Sandro instead of IF Ghoulam (who I like way more than Sandro). I never tried his gold but just looking at his card he looks kind of average, especially with his weak foot and lack of traits. Is he really that good?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

eternity test posted:

Same, but fitting him into my team would require me to drop Lewa or IF Mertens and get Alex Sandro instead of IF Ghoulam (who I like way more than Sandro). I never tried his gold but just looking at his card he looks kind of average, especially with his weak foot and lack of traits. Is he really that good?

his regular card was pretty good for me when i used it earlier in the year and he fits nicely into one of my teams so i'm excited to try him out.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Beating a dead horse here. But now that I'm in div 3 and still using gimmick squads I'm reaching a point of complete frustration with the overpowered nature of finesse shots, especially when people use it in combination with good players + timed shooting. It's not just incredibly overpowered, it promotes illogical football which is my biggest gripe. I've never been a player to min max games to just get wins so while I might play to the strengths of the "meta" I'll never spam 90 degree finesse shots because it feels so antifun and anti football. Two examples from the same match. Finesse shootings OPness is beyond fifa 14's heading, fifa 18 low drivens, fifa 15 over the top balls, and 99% of other bad fifa mechanisms because it is so nonsensical. You could at leas defend everything else and positionally players were in good spots to score to pull those things off.

My opponent starting at 90 degrees from goal and actually taking a first touch to an even further angle but smacking it no problem.

Now these are the chances I uses finesse shots for. Coming at ~45 degree angle to goal and using the bend to put it around the keeper since he has decent time to reach it. To me my shot is absolutely fine but the other one shouldn't be happening, or if it is, at least at 5% of the current success rate.

Fifa 19 isn't perfect but the finesse shots are really really bothersome and so loving easy to fix. It makes defending properly nonsensical as well

Also Futmas Santi is probably my no 1 fun card at the moment.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 28, 2018

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006
I really like how it’s easier to score a timed finesse from 25 meters than scoring from a shot in the box. And how the only ways to defend it is to constantly have 8 guys in the box blocking shots or using the dumb move the keeper mechanic.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Seltzer did you sell those Valencia IF's yet?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

RCarr posted:

Seltzer did you sell those Valencia IF's yet?

Yea that card didn't go up like I expected or wanted. I dumped it at 30k awhile ago. Gotze at 18k or Grimaldo at 18k are way better bets this week and will definitely go up like 10k in a few weeks like Kolarov did. I overestimated the demand for valencia with his club and position change and underestimated how huge the supply was that week. gotze and grimaldo are cant fail. Low priced great nations, gotze = bundes sbc and grimaldo is a high rated fullback.

Anyways I built close to my super team, or well my fun superteam. I'll build my real tryhard squad around flashback Pato soon.

Obviously I was a huge Cordoba fan last year and really like his workrates 90 aggression and strength + backs into player trait. It made him really unique and useful despite crap stats. So I went ahead and built an entire squad based around getting him chem now that he's in the 2nd Bundesliga. It plays amazing and he's still great (though I usually smack a +6 attribute card on him, they cost nothing). I've talked up cuadrado all the time, Lerma has the pace and passing to cover the midfield and keeps things moving (better than Kante imo), Guarin is a tank and the fullbacks are really dynamic at adding to the attack. I'll end up replacing Bailly and herrera and possibly upgrading Sanchez. As for Pires.... he's crazy. I went for him over Overmaars but it was a tight decision. Pires has significantly less pace and agility but way more passing and finishing. He also has more skills and is 6'2. He's been absolutely lethal in assisting and finishing for me and feels great on the ball. Anyways, some pics and clips.

Cordoba with a +10 steroid card (the other +s are from sniper chem)

Power header

Zlatan moves

Just smashing it with his crazy shot power

Hold up play and assist

Anyways, it's really fun to have cool and unique players and play in a different way from the meta. (I feel zero guilt using a +6 or +10 card on Cordoba in divisions)

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Seltzer posted:

Yea that card didn't go up like I expected or wanted. I dumped it at 30k awhile ago. Gotze at 18k or Grimaldo at 18k are way better bets this week and will definitely go up like 10k in a few weeks like Kolarov did. I overestimated the demand for valencia with his club and position change and underestimated how huge the supply was that week. gotze and grimaldo are cant fail. Low priced great nations, gotze = bundes sbc and grimaldo is a high rated fullback.

I went pretty all in on this one and invested 600k worth in these two cards.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
i was really mad after this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIFFfL3XiJ4

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You were mad that the player taking the shot didn't get credit for it, and instead it was an own goal? Or am I missing something?

Edit:

Regarding Weekend League, is it something an average player can enjoy? In Division Rivals I hover around 1100 skill. I have two 84 rated teams (although I have about a million coins invested so I could build something better if I wanted.)

Am I just going to get my rear end kicked 5-0 every game and be miserable? Or do I have a chance to win some games?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 4, 2019

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

RCarr posted:

You were mad that the player taking the shot didn't get credit for it, and instead it was an own goal? Or am I missing something?

yes, no

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

Edit:

Regarding Weekend League, is it something an average player can enjoy? In Division Rivals I hover around 1100 skill. I have two 84 rated teams (although I have about a million coins invested so I could build something better if I wanted.)

Am I just going to get my rear end kicked 5-0 every game and be miserable? Or do I have a chance to win some games?

In my experience weekend league is much easier than even division 3 so you will win some games but you might have a losing record

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

RCarr posted:

Edit:

im eternally in division 5 and 1500 seems to be my skill cap; i went 11-6 last weekend league for silver 1 and always get silver 1 within 20 games so take from that what you will. its definitely far easier than divisions though

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
I'm at the bottom of division 6 (800-900ish usually) and I normally get to 11 wins with a few games to spare. I think its enjoyable enough as long as you aren't too worried about losing / don't have high expectations. Normally I try to play 10 games each Friday /Saturday /Sunday and I expect Friday to be a complete write off while I drink and tank down to the appropriate skill tier, any wins are a bonus. Once I'm in the right skill range most games are very even and I tend to win half.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/iamdonoli/status/1081589039759794182

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I think I'm officially done with this game until they fix finesse shots. It's absolutely disgusting. Like the game is fun if you play against someone playing normal football like you but 95% of people in d3/d4 spam finesse shots now. I can say without a shred of a doubt that the game is in it's worst state ever since I've been playing it. The funny thing is it handles much better than previous editions if you ignore the finesse shot issue, but you cannot ignore the finesse shot issue. I rewards nonsensical football, player skill has little to nothing to do with the success rate (orange or green its going in). Player stats basically have gently caress all to do with it as well. I got to d3 by playing with fun players and fun formations and using dribbling passing and wing play, I'm not going to start doing 100 cutbacks to outside the box to spam curlers to keep up. I'd be fine getting steamrolled by better players or better teams but this just isnt it right now. I had a match where the opponent Reus 180 throughballed to Son, my Pepe had him covered and I did a full bar of power to clear the ball and he did that wonderful miss header animation that they added in for realism somewhere around fifa 16 that no one enjoys and does nothing for the game, he hit a finesse shot. Then I concede a fk, he switched to a custom set up so fast I literally have no time to player switch to my DM who could close down what I know is coming (lay off to son) so I'm stuck shuffling through players in my wall and his son finesses it in obviously. I was dominating that game. Then I went ahead and lost another game I dominated to two ben yedder outside the box 90 degree angle finesse shots. It's an absolute joke.

I don't have fun playing against this poo poo, and I don't have fun playing like that and I won't force myself to. The Issue HAS to be fixable, it can't be that complicated and more and more people are getting burned out by it day by day. I wouldn't be surprised if people down in d7/8 were spamming finesse shots with icons. It's really cool that EA has continually removed casual play options from their game so I can't even gently caress around in matches where people play something resembling football. Singles matches used to be that, until they got taken over by WL players getting practice/looking for easy wins/trying out new teams. Tournaments were always laid back, that's gone. Silver players are functionally dead as a thing to use, Bronze players even more so since EA has been adamant about making only the elite elite players capable of not tripping over themselves and finishing easy shots. There's so much this company does wrong it's actually incredible. I'm talking aside from the broken gameplay.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

Seltzer posted:

I'm gonna stand by my decision to pass on fifa. I played every year starting with 13. I said it when legends were first introduced that I didn't like the concept. I ruins the feel of the game, is out of place, and kills the fun of creative squad building. It got worse and worse as they added more and the legends became more overtuned. Added in with the unending glut of special cards they've been adding to the game and it's made the game less fun and the players feel less unique and special. I don't see the trend reversing on special cards and I don't see them removing legends ever.

Has anything major been announced gameplay wise? I've heard it feels like fifa 18 but slower which is incredibly damning. If they somehow release a quick free flowing game like 15 and 13 I could investigate but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyways I'm still looking for a competitive sports game to fill fifa's gap. It seems like everything is ran by really bad companies (2k and EA) or is extremely amateurish.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yea the game was fun at the start. I enjoyed the first ~3 months. No one foresaw 90 degree finesse shots consuming the game at release

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006
I play weekend league to gold 3 every now and then and play squad battles sometimes when the kids are napping but it's all just to fuel my squad building habit.

The finesse meta is super dumb but the 5212 formation with attacking wing backs has made me like the game again, just because of how fun it is to use offensively and most importantly it does a decent job of clogging the center defensively to block finesses.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I’d like to try five back, but I can’t think of who from the Prem I would want as a LWB.

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

I’d like to try five back, but I can’t think of who from the Prem I would want as a LWB.

Just get some left midfielder with ~50 defending, decent crossing and high attacking workrates and switch ingame or play him at 7 chem.

Edit: Or get IF Digne with engine for like 15k

eternity test fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 6, 2019

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just pulled Sergio Ramos in my weekly free packs.

:feelsgood:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Anyone in particular to invest in during TOTY?

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006
86 rated players are at an all time low so they should be a pretty safe investment. Get ones from big leagues and they'll rise eventually.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

In Form 86's? Or any 86's?

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006
Regular golds but people are posting about it on reddit so lots of people are probably investing in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just broke the million coin mark! Plus probably another 600k or so between my 2 teams. It’s funny how much more time I spend on the app rather than playing the game :allears:

I should probably use these coins to make a really good team but I enjoy buying and selling too much.

Edit: I also just entered the weekend league for the first time ever. Now I have to force myself to play 30 games :sigh:

RCarr fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 10, 2019