Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh I get it, it's like when Trump talked about grabbing pussies and it ended his chance of becoming president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I don't think it's that, but maybe let's stop giving them easy ammunition by straight-out insulting them to their faces for a moment of self-satisfaction that will damage us in the long run

We don't have to be respectful, but let's not be loving idiots

It doesn't damage you in the long run. It fires up your base which is all politics is now.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i can't believe i was busy this afternoon and missed 'the military version of eminent domain' lmfao

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

VitalSigns posted:

Does that really give them ammunition though.

They already say we're doing that anyway, they produce propaganda that liberals are carving up babies in clinics to profit from selling their organs for nefarious purposes but the people who believe that their enemies are literal baby-killing satanists won't get well and truly outraged unless they hear a swear?

Everything we've seen in the last few years indicates the opposite, being combative and crude fires up your voters while the pearl-clutchers will come home and vote for you anyway, that's why Republicans do it, and that's why they're frightened to death of Democrats figuring this out.

It fires up the right but tends to split the left.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

cheetah7071 posted:

In theory all furloughed employees will get backpay, right? So TSA agents aren't technically working for no pay, they're just working for a paycheck at some unknown point in the future?

They aren't super high paid, so they are probably all calling in sick so they can try and rustle up money by doing odd jobs or something.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Why? Unless you live in her district, what effect will your friends' bad opinions legitimately have on her?

The part that you left out of that quote:

It speaks to a lack of professional restraint and resulted in a video clip that can be brought up again and again by the power structure in place already as a way to diminish her credibility.

She's loving credible in my book, but I'm not the kind of person she's going to have to convince to trust her. I want fighters that know when to grandstand. Her willingness to take a bold stand on Twitter and then run from reporters was also a pretty stupid thing to do. I hope she figures the game out fast, because I trust her judgement on policy and want the country to shift to the left.

To add: She needs to convince senior democrats/ a large coalition of non-senior democrats she can be trusted with authority and not attract controversy of her own making. Sure the right is going to manufacture outrage, but there's a pretty hefty difference between the impact of AOC dancing in college to RT using the word 'motherfucker' to refer to the chief executive.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Priapus Unbound posted:

It matters a bit if you want to expand Rashida's support among more than just the people who already support her. Personally I am on board for calling the President a motherfucker, but as a professional who works with large groups of people, actually saying it as a just sworn in member of the house was a dumb, dumb move. It speaks to a lack of professional restraint and resulted in a video clip that can be brought up again and again by the power structure in place already as a way to diminish her credibility.

She's loving credible in my book, but I'm not the kind of person she's going to have to convince to trust her. I want fighters that know when to grandstand. Her willingness to take a bold stand on Twitter and then run from reporters was also a pretty stupid thing to do. I hope she figures the game out fast, because I trust her judgement on policy and want the country to shift to the left.

There is a point where you just have to tell the bully to gently caress off. We are at that point.

Besides, what they are really mad about is:

- publicly talking about how Trump will deservedly get impeached
- publicly talking about how the top tax rates will be raised.

Especially during the time of this current administration, all of your low-class scam artists, assholes, whiners, etc. have been given full-strength to come out and be horrible, because they see their hero in charge of the country.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Lemming posted:

It doesn't damage you in the long run. It fires up your base which is all politics is now.

It's almost like there's a balance we need to strike or something

We're not going to make actual real progress becoming Trump 2.0, and frankly I don't want a Liberal Trump in office

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Matt Yglesias from Vox agrees with you

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1081224425800904705

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Priapus Unbound posted:

That's a pretty big mischaracterization of what people are saying. If you agree with Rashida's policies, then it would be super neat if she got into positions of authority within the Democratic apparatus where she can implement her vision. She's not going to be able to do that if she gains a reputation for controversy because that speaks to a lack of foresight. I don't think anyone expects hardcore conservatives to get on board with the representative from Michigan's beliefs, but she sure as hell needs to care what other Democrats think regardless of what a bunch of rightfully incensed people on a dead comedy forum think.

So your position is that Democrats are such fainting flowers that they'll stop supporting the party if they hear a swear, and not only that they'll prefer the well-renowned polite demeanor of the party of Donald Trump?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

At this rate Trump will be dead from McDonalds-related heart attack before the Mueller report actually drops.

just want to echo marcy wheeler re: this and remind people there's still only one person saying we're getting a 'report' and that's loving rudy giuliani - and even if it were to exist, there'd be no guarantee whatsoever the public ever saw it

the actual report is the narratives we're getting in indictments and criminal complaints

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

https://twitter.com/anaphoristand/status/1081222284910546945

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Oh I get it, it's like when Trump talked about grabbing pussies and it ended his chance of becoming president

He also said Romney would have blown him for an endorsement and he made jokes praising Greg Gianforte for assaulting a journalist.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bicyclops posted:

Steve King: *pulls down pants and chases camera while yelling n-word*

Also known as the Jason Spencer.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tayter Swift posted:

Oh I know he can't, but that's never stopped him from trying before.

In this case "trying" would be a 5-minute conversation in the oval office that we never hear about unless someone leaks it to a reporter.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Yeah, this instance is a poor example for me. You have a good point.

I guess I'm so poisoned by years of poo poo like calling the obviously fraudulent Paul Ryan sincere that I whiffed on this example.

I didn't mean to call you out or anything. It just seemed - as you said - like an odd place to make that particular generally reasonable criticism. And I guess I generally go by the "first step to change is not to hit them when they do it right" philosophy.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Skyarb posted:

Is there any evidence of this, like, at all?

Joe Biden said a swear too, did that hurt the Obama administration.

E: and no the fact that it's making you personally pull a Reverend Mrs Lovejoy about it isn't evidence of electoral trends.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

eke out posted:

just want to echo marcy wheeler re: this and remind people there's still only one person saying we're getting a 'report' and that's loving rudy giuliani - and even if it were to exist, there'd be no guarantee whatsoever the public ever saw it

the actual report is the narratives we're getting in indictments and criminal complaints

What if I just wanted to mock Trump for being disgusting? :colbert:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Acting like Trump is worthy of being treated with respect and decorum runs a pretty high risk of normalizing this poo poo, imo

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

In theory all furloughed employees will get backpay, right? So TSA agents aren't technically working for no pay, they're just working for a paycheck at some unknown point in the future?

The rent is still due at the end of the month, and the grocery store doesn't take IOU's. If this is going to last "months or even years" then the entire TSA workforce is going to quit.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

What if I just wanted to mock Trump for being disgusting? :colbert:

it's allowed as long as you don't say any swear words

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The next time a reporter asks her about it, she should answer "who loving cares" because seriously who loving cares about swear words in tyool 2018

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

cheetah7071 posted:

Essential employees will definitely get paid for the work they do (but that doesn't help them right now if they're living paycheck-to-paycheck, as many of those agents likely are). Non-essential employees have, in the past, received pay for the period of work stoppage, but that isn't a legal obligation, just something every prior Congress has enacted afterwards.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Skyarb posted:

It doesn't split the left, it upsets pearl clutching centrists who vote Republican and pretend they're good because they say they don't mind gay people

We're not going to make actual real progress becoming Trump 2.0, and frankly I don't want a Liberal Trump in office

If you think calling a criminal fascist rapist a motherfucker is "Liberal Trump" then you are dumber than a sack of hammers

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Longest shutdown was around a month under Clinton, right?

We're definitely going past that, right?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

VitalSigns posted:

Is there any evidence of this, like, at all?

Joe Biden said a swear too, did that hurt the Obama administration.

At the time, it was a big loving deal.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

cheetah7071 posted:

The next time a reporter asks her about it, she should answer "who loving cares" because seriously who loving cares about swear words in tyool 2018

It's now tyool 2019, get with the loving times.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rigel posted:

The rent is still due at the end of the month, and the grocery store doesn't take IOU's. If this is going to last "months or even years" then the entire TSA workforce is going to quit.

Yeah my post wasn't worded well but I wasn't trying to dismiss their concerns. Just asking a clarifying question because I don't understand the full details of the implementation of the shutdown.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh you fools, you still think you can logic away how much this matters and compare it to other instances of politicians cursing

It's not ABOUT the cursing

It's ABOUT trying to police her language because she's a woman

I love cursing but I also know that yes, they're going to get her for -whatever they can-, and unfair as that is it means she has higher than average performance expectations.

She can't just be as good as them, she's going to have to be BETTER than them.

Lemming posted:

If you think calling a criminal fascist rapist a motherfucker is "Liberal Trump" then you are dumber than a sack of hammers

what? you're an insane person, that's not what I said or intuited AT ALL

but saying 'well let's just cut loose to RILE UP OUR BASE, it worked for Trump!!!' is a disturbing argument I'm seeing nowadays from the liberal end and NO

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 4, 2019

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

You don't confront an extreme, existential threat with "balance." Balance will drown us all as the oceans rise and the farmers' fields turn to dust.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Rashida loving owns and y'all handwringing motherfuckers are being so stereotypically liberal it hurts

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

So your position is that Democrats are such fainting flowers that they'll stop supporting the party if they hear a swear, and not only that they'll prefer the well-renowned polite demeanor of the party of Donald Trump?

That's not what I'm saying at all. Nowhere in my post do I claim that democrats will stop being democrats and support republicans. Have you always argued like a hardcore conservative, or have you been staring in the abyss too long?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Have federal employees officially missed a paycheck yet?

edit: Looked this up, according to the calendar on gsa.gov the 28th should have been a payday.

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 4, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

eke out posted:

it's allowed as long as you don't say any swear words

darn it

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

They're among the most poorly paid government employees, if not the poorest paid. They're the ones most likely to experience hardship, and the ones least likely to have access to other sources of income & credit.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PT6A posted:

It's now tyool 2019, get with the loving times.

oh you're right swears matter again my bad. Swearing will next be okay again in *checks schedule* 2021

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Rashida loving owns and y'all handwringing motherfuckers are being so stereotypically liberal it hurts

Its actually you all who truly don't get it. Its not about hand wringing or pearly clutching, its about being as in-game as you can be to completely and totally destroy the GOP.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Longest shutdown was around a month under Clinton, right?

We're definitely going past that, right?

i believe the number is 8 more days until this becomes officially the longest

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Oh you fools, you still think you can logic away how much this matters and compare it to other instances of politicians cursing

It's not ABOUT the cursing

It's ABOUT trying to police her language because she's a woman

I love cursing but I also know that yes, they're going to get her for -whatever they can-, and unfair as that is it means she has higher than average performance expectations.

She can't just be as good as them, she's going to have to be BETTER than them.

Yes, better at firing up the Democratic base, which you do by publicly and visibly fighting back against the fuckers who are destroying the world around us. That's something that is very good and exciting and that makes people want to show up and vote for you, not roll over and give up and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

cheetah7071 posted:

In theory essential employees who work are guaranteed pay for that work. Other employees depends on whether congress and president Deals allocated money for backpay.

But for many people a delayed paycheck is almost as bad as losing a job. Rent and bills need to be paid, food has to be bought, etc.