Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It'd be different if Donald Trump weren't such an obvious motherfucker. After a certain point, not calling an obvious motherfucker a motherfucker, is just being dishonest.

Trump's a motherfucker and he deserves to be called a motherfucker and if you aren't calling him a motherfucker you're lying. The duty of honesty supersedes the duty of :decorum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Skippy McPants posted:

The question remains: at what point, if ever, does the GOP break with him? He can violate all the norms he likes, but so long as they refuse to go beyond "Deeply Concerned" he ain't going anywhere.

I have no idea what it would take because unlike Nixon there is no way in hell Trump ever, ever, ever resigns and I can't even imagine the feeding frenzy that would ensue if the GOP were complicit in removing a president that a huge portion of their base adores.

It could come from a number of places. First and foremost, his approval numbers tanking which would mean dissatisfaction of the base or perhaps even permanent erosion of it (at least for Trump). You'd start seeing grumbling around a sustained high thirties percent and then open grumbling around the mid-thirties. Right now, you're probably seeing the people who are both crypto and full-throated white nationalists/supremacists, hardcore tribal vote republican no matter what (much the same crowd, but not all of it), right wing Christian evangelicals and people who are happy with the president because the economy is doing well.

The most likely of those to drop off next are the economy voters which make up a significant portion of the electorate. I say this because the white supremacists and nationalists are being courted and are pleased by his policies that push cruelty, the RW evangelical Christian's near total divorce from anything that involves Christ or Christianity as Trump is their guy despite being nearly everything that Christ hated and the people who view republican as tribe or team, like this is some sort of sport are not going away. Though they can be discouraged if they lose for long enough.

There's a saying in politics. "It's the economy, stupid" and it rings true here. Trump's numbers are artificially inflated by inheriting a booming economy. They're going to fall when we enter a recession and he's accelerating us towards one because almost all of his instincts are bad ones. Sometimes I'll listen to him and he'll talk a good game about how economics actually work, but his understanding colors none of his instincts. So long as people think he's a good businessman and provides wealth, those approval numbers will stay in the low 40's to high 30's. Everyone who hates him because he's a racist and a fascist and a sexist and an enabler of horrible people and policies or just because there are tribal dems too who think of politics as team sport are already disapproving of him if not hating and resisting. That seems to be it. That's the maximum. You'll see dips to about 38-39% for when he does some significant gaffe and about...I want to say twice dipping to 36-37% for the egregious stuff. These are the people who can be temporarily repulsed by him, but come back. The approval slips to neither approve nor disapprove and the neither approve nor disapprove slip into disapprove, or at least that seems the most likely.

The dems are basically maxed out on outrage right now. That's not a bad thing, because you have blowout years when that happens. The difference in the 2018 election was about 9% advantage for dems nationally, but due to gerrymandering in the house and not many seats being open to taking, but only defending, did we not see truly significant gains. Trump would have been obliterated by those kind of numbers and I'll say that it would be higher than 9% due to people being motivated to kicking Trump out. Maybe 10 or 11%, which would basically be a soft coup as republicans get swept out.

So when is the breaking point for presidents? I think that the magic number would be the high twenties percent approval rating. The lowest would be 22%. Nixon was at 22% before his resignation on August 9th, 1974. And for W, you saw a 22% approval rating near the end as well in July. Personally I think that it's roughly 22% of the population who are so in the tank for the republican party that they'll vote for it no matter how bad things get or how stupid or incompetent their party is.

Republicans, for all of their awfulness, know that they're stuck with this moron and their constituency loves him, or at least loves him enough. Getting rid of him too soon would shatter their party. Constituents would feel betrayed and stay home come election day in 2020. There's no magic number that tells them when getting rid of him would be best. They might gut check him by telling him no, but even this could backfire as he has no loyalty towards them and would use his twitter account to turn his followers against him.

The problem with the republican party is that they rely on a number of tenuous factors to stay viable as a party, because they're nowhere close to 50% of the electorate: Their voters constantly show up no matter what while the democrats need to be coaxed, they rely on gerrymandering, they rely on voter suppression, they have an aging and even dying constituency with no impulse to appeal to anyone new and they rely on their rural advantage in the senate.

If the system were fair the republican party would either be far more moderate, been broken or not in power. They're a fringe, right wing party. If any of the advantages I mentioned above are removed then they collapse. The reasons that the republican party doesn't get rid of Trump are twofold: One, he enables their worst impulses and two, even a 1% drop in voter turrnout would be catastrophic for the republican party. And yet as they piss more people off, as more of their constituency keeps dying and as they appeal to no new voters, they guarantee the reformation of their party party long term into something more moderate. However, their voting base doesn't want that. They've been conditioned by Fox News, right wing radio and now internet sources that are way more radical than either of those can possibly be to not accept outsiders. Marrying in any new constituency would simply not work because the base would rebel. The old people would hate overtures to the young, the racists would hate any overtures to anyone unable to pass a paper bag test, the misogynists would hate any overtures made towards women and even picking up smaller constituencies like LGBTQ+ would get stomped on by a slowly shrinking but still powerful RW evangelical crowd.

So what do you do? You can't pick up new voters. Your base is dying faster than it's being replaced and is becoming more radical than you're comfortable with. Your president is an idiot and damages your cause by saying the quiet thing out loud. Well, you do what you're doing right now. You rig and pervert and corrupt the system even more. You play up your structural advantages like in the senate where it favors republicans, you do your best to gerrymander everything to keep power in the house and beyond that you just do undemocratic and flat out illegal poo poo to stay in power.

However, the more you do it, the more people notice. And people are incredibly politically active in these days. Trump is not going to be moderated by the existence of a democratic house. He's going to look for loopholes to press his authoritarian and fascist policies. The house will be able to reign him in and they have a mandate to do so. And Trump is going to try and rely on a bureaucracy that he's actively withholding pay from. It's not tenable.

For example, a few days of strike from TSA agents would bring the economy crashing down, because they're being required to work without pay. Even the threat of a "sick out" would cause a panic in the airline system and that would cause a panic. Whether Trump gives a gently caress or not is anyone's guess, but the more poo poo unravels, the more people will apply pressure to him. At first soft, unofficial pressure, but eventually that turns to hard pressure. Because at some point the donors are going to say, "It's us or him, and we'll back your competitors if it's him". And they'll cave.

Trump is trying to establish dominance over the democrats. If he succeeds, the shutdown will be his go-to to get poo poo done. He will threaten to crash the economy whenever he doesn't get his way on whatever dumb poo poo he wants next. If he fails and he probably will, because even his own party doesn't want the wall, then it'll be a significant blow to his perceived power.

The emperor has no wall.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Skyarb posted:

Yeah I know nothing about her, has she accomplished much?

And yet here you were arguing about her for pages

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It is interesting how the decorum pearl-clutchers readily admit there is a double standard for women's behavior, and instead of opposing the existence of double standards, they counsel women to obey and propagate them by policing their behavior and never saying naughty words that male politicians are allowed to use without consequence, and when that doesn't happen they blame the victims of the double standards for failing in their duty to uphold institutionalized sexism in the workplace.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
There is literally not a single person out there who would have supported the Democrats but has changed their mind because a Congresswoman called Trump a 'motherfucker'. Anyone who would remotely care about that, in light of Trump's presidency, was never ever ever going to be in play. Stop clutching your pearls over imaginary decorum voters who don't exist.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Skyarb posted:

Haha imagine being this stupid thinking dems can win anything without centrists (not that I am one good lord what an idiot)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Skyarb posted:

Not saying "mother fucker" is not being complicit in the crimes on the enemy what the hell is wrong with you.

Remember if you don't say Pee Pee Doo Doo you are basically a war criminal.

have you noticed how your flailing cries of "please don't be mean to republicans" are convincing precisely noone

have you noticed how the preceding ten years of flailing cries of "please don't be mean to republicans" brought you to a place where your president is Donald J Trump

there is a lesson here

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Skyarb posted:

Honest question. Based on what? She is like brand new to politics right?

She was in the Michigan House for five years and worked in politics before then. She's one of the few congresspeople who is more or less saying "gently caress Israel!" and fighting to abolish ICE.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Too Shy Guy posted:

Uh, that's exactly why she should be saying what she's saying and not apologizing for a drat thing. Institutionalized sexism doesn't go away by playing into sexist expectations and waiting quietly and politely to be treated equally.

yeah i know

but there's also a reality that with so few of them present compared to men, women in politics are expected to perform better right now

and it's total loving bullshit, it's institutionalized sexism, it's unfair, but it's also true

politics is POLITICS, a battle for control via bureaucracy and legitimacy, and not as easy as just you giving advice online, whoda loving thunk it

I like that she cursed personally but I think it was a dumbfuck move if you actually wanted to position yourself well coming in fresh

It just was.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Rip Testes posted:

How is Trump actually prepared for a shutdown lasting years? Was anyone able to ask that? Like how would the military be funded and the debt interest and social service benefits be paid, etc if a shutdown went for years like he claims he's prepared for?
"They'll be paid out of the returns from the Wall."

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Skyarb posted:

God forbid I, a jewish man, be concerned about seperation of church and state and wanted some clarity.

Jesus whoever said it before was right, on this current trajectory we'll either get Trump again for 2020 or Trump 2.0 in liberal form. Both of which are loving horrible but I'm sure this thread thinks is sick and dope.

did you see Ilhan holding a (white) baby while wearing a hijab yesterday?

very troubling - creeping sharia??

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
If anything we should be swearing much more loudly and frequently.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

have you noticed how your flailing cries of "please don't be mean to republicans" are convincing precisely noone

have you noticed how the preceding ten years of flailing cries of "please don't be mean to republicans" brought you to a place where your president is Donald J Trump

there is a lesson here

Have you noticed there are a lot of people here who actually share this opinion and aren't just screeching they want to mimic the GOP and be as poo poo flinging and dumb as they are.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Skyarb posted:

God forbid I, a jewish man, be concerned about seperation of church and state and wanted some clarity.

Jesus whoever said it before was right, on this current trajectory we'll either get Trump again for 2020 or Trump 2.0 in liberal form. Both of which are loving horrible but I'm sure this thread thinks is sick and dope.

well good news for you, maybe the Muslim ban will get those unsightly scarves off your teevee

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeah i know

but there's also a reality that with so few of them present compared to men, women in politics are expected to perform better right now

and it's total loving bullshit, it's institutionalized sexism, it's unfair, but it's also true

politics is POLITICS, a battle for control via bureaucracy and legitimacy, and not as easy as just you giving advice online, whoda loving thunk it

I like that she cursed personally but I think it was a dumbfuck move if you actually wanted to position yourself well coming in fresh

It just was.

maybe if you compromise just that -little- bit harder, you'll find that Moderate Republican you've been praying for for forty years

you're just not believing hard enough

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

eke out posted:

oh right you're this person

lmao wish I had seen this before I replied

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

GOP can shut the gently caress up about foul language for 100 years. Rashida Tlaib should say it again louder.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
When they go low we go high *hits enormous blunt* motherfuckers

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

Remember, the people most concerned about Swears are evangelicals like the President of Liberty U.

gently caress those guys.

Remembr that Liberty U only just recently allowed the white married couples to show affect in public and allowed the race mixing dating.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

He's saying he's a right-winger.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Oh you fools, you still think you can logic away how much this matters and compare it to other instances of politicians cursing

It's not ABOUT the cursing

It's ABOUT trying to police her language because she's a woman

I love cursing but I also know that yes, they're going to get her for -whatever they can-, and unfair as that is it means she has higher than average performance expectations.

She can't just be as good as them, she's going to have to be BETTER than them.

Pelosi stood by her, she stood by her own statement, Republicans got assblasted and went apeshit on it because it's a narrative they think they can use and they don't have much else to do as a minority in the house right now and that's about it. They can say all they want about it, but it's not their caucus and there's really nothing they can actually do about it. It's literally not the GOP's place nor do they have the power to try to police Tlaibs language and policy or whatever and the idea that it even remotely is and that they do kind of feels like a leftover from the trauma of the total GOP rule of the last two years.

As of yesterday that's Pelosi and Hoyer's business as speaker and majority leader and I think we know where they stand already based on their comments. Case closed.

Stereotype posted:

The 116th U.S congress will be like the Swiss Family Robinson, only with more cursing. The Democratic House Majority will live like kings. drat Hell rear end Kings.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 4, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Skyarb posted:

Lmao you dumb gently caress Trump isn't bad because he's mean to his opponents he's bad because he's an evil criminal fascist rapist who's trying to gently caress the planet

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It'd be different if Donald Trump weren't such an obvious motherfucker. After a certain point, not calling an obvious motherfucker a motherfucker, is just being dishonest.

Trump's a motherfucker and he deserves to be called a motherfucker and if you aren't calling him a motherfucker you're lying. The duty of honesty supersedes the duty of :decorum:

I don't know how much of a joke this is but calling him a motherfucker is an excellent reminder to everyone that politics right now are not normal and should never be considered normal. Everyone should be acting outside the norm and calling him a motherfucker until the motherfucker and all his motherfucker friends are gone.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I also don't like that the swearing in oath has God mentioned in it, does that also I guess make me hosed up?

Bicyclops posted:

She was in the Michigan House for five years and worked in politics before then. She's one of the few congresspeople who is more or less saying "gently caress Israel!" and fighting to abolish ICE.

Thats both cool and good :)

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Skyarb posted:

Honest question. Based on what? She is like brand new to politics right?

Not much yet. She was a state rep in Michigan for several years and served as the vice chair (Democratic leader) on the appropriations committee there.

Her website mentions that she focused on getting more money for education, free health clinics, after-school programs for children, and Meals on Wheels nutrition programs for senior citizens, and wrote laws to protect consumers from mortgage and tax scams and to stop scrap metal thieves from looting private property in Detroit.

So she's familiar with the workings of state government and rose a good level of responsibility there.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lemming posted:

Lmao you dumb gently caress Trump isn't bad because he's mean to his opponents he's bad because he's an evil criminal fascist rapist who's trying to gently caress the planet

skyarb probably thinks aoc is "Trump 2.0 in liberal form" lol

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Skyarb posted:

Please describe what "Trump 2.0 in liberal form" is

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Skyarb posted:

Trump 2.0 in liberal form

What exactly do you think this looks like?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Lemming posted:

If you cannot see how a vitriolic and lovely cult of personality is bad as a whole I can't help you.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't turned on Fox News today so its entirely possible they're losing their minds about it, but like the only reason I even "know" that someone cursing is a thing is because of this thread. I've heard the media mention it and tsk tsk but then they moved on waaaaaaaay quicker than this place.

Which is the proper reaction to someone cursing randomly unless you're 13 or 93.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Stereotype posted:

This. The president is a loving Nazi rapist. The GOP are Nazis and are literally murdering the planet to line their own pocket, while promoting rapists to the hgihest levels of government. I agree that this country has a serious problem with language and restraint: people don't use honesty in the former, and have too much of the latter. Anything that isn't almost incoherent rage-fueled screaming is, frankly, inappropriate at this point. Anyone engaging with Republicans as though they were worthy of the slightest modicum of respect or consideration is, frankly, showing enormous and undeserved restraint and decorum.

If there is a problem with Tlaib calling the president a motherfucker, it's that that is all she called him.

EDIT: Tlaib, not Ilhan. I need to stop sleepyposting.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 4, 2019

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

eke out posted:

skyarb probably thinks aoc is "Trump 2.0 in liberal form" lol

AOC is cool and awesome.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Here's a fun question: whose rereg do you think Skyarb is? I half-think it's Leon Trotsky 2012, but I'm not sure the timelines match up

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Skyarb posted:

Have you noticed there are a lot of people here who actually share this opinion and aren't just screeching they want to mimic the GOP and be as poo poo flinging and dumb as they are.

yup. no shortage of them among the comfortably well-off but culturally liberal. remind me, what were the results of listening to them for the last ten years.

feel free to tally it in number of children killed by the whims of a reality tv star who they lost an election to

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Skyarb posted:

If you cannot see how a vitriolic and lovely cult of personality is bad as a whole I can't help you.

Shut the gently caress up motherfucker

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Skyarb posted:

imagine the horror of having political power, and then exercising it to accomplish a goal your constituents wanted

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

yeah i know

It just was.

Institutionalized sexism is wrong, but also it exists so we must not challenge it, in fact we must uphold and perpetuate it, for it is the status quo and therefore nothing else is possible or else it wouldn't be the status quo.

Gee I wonder why liberalism succumbs to fascism over and over :iiam:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Look at this motherfucker:

quote:

On Friday, speaking to reporters outside of the White House, Trump responded to a reporter’s question about Tlaib’s remarks.

“I thought her comments were disgraceful,” Trump said. “I think she dishonored her family using language like that in front of her son and whoever else was there, I thought that was a great dishonor to her and to her family.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/acmqgx/president_known_to_gleefully_insult_people_calls/

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Ague Proof posted:

He also said Romney would have blown him for an endorsement and he made jokes praising Greg Gianforte for assaulting a journalist.

Don't forget "Get that son of a bitch off the field"

I'll go ahead and say, if I were a congressman I probably wouldn't call the president a motherfucker, because that really isn't my style. But I don't think it's political poison in the slightest. People who would never vote for her anyway will make a fuss about it, but even to them, I think it makes her look strong. (To them, it's threatening.)

I think it's telling that even Double Standard Donny isn't even really attempting to pearl-clutch over the language itself (at least not until Fox News did), but rather is angry about someone mentioning impeachment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

EXPLICIT LANGUAGE WARNING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYRXLqAiayA