Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

BTW I'm going to predict the Soviet planes by category:

Fighters: La-5 and La-7
Medium Bomber: IL2 Sturmovik
"Heavy" Bomber: PE-2

Who cares they're just food for my flak tank

fake edit: my impotent pride at driving the worst vehicle in the game, immortalised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The flak tank is fine (ok maybe the Flakpanzer is a little too baller but not by much), it's just certain maps with long site lines that make it a problem.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The mobile aa actual own, you just have to take them out and about to kill infantry and vehicles and surprise enemy planes by constantly relocating. If you sit in spawn with it and try to take down planes, like all pubbies, they will just not go near you.

Last night some scrub spent all round in one sitting near his spawn, with one kill. Near the end I finally crashed my plane into a tree so I hunted him down with dynamite and panzerfausts. We just avoided him and hunted his planes when they left his radius because we always knew where he was

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BTW if they don't include the IL2 with the soviets I'm going to be legit disappointed. It's a cool plane. I suppose they could put the PE2 and that slot and put the TU-2 in for the "heavy" bomber. Which would be lame.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

FastestGunAlive posted:

I agree that a howitzer would be great. I can understand removal of the mortar, even if I don’t agree with it, but howitzers or non-gadget mortars would be fine because there would only be a few. Also give us a squad call in, less expensive than the V2 and with smaller radius and damage. You could even have a smoke variant.

the PIAT can function as a mortar btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzUQhgy6lh4

i think the splash damage zone is very low for that projectile though

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Spent an hour last night just grinding stuff in Recon class; got nearly 7,000 points one round just spotting people and reaping the benefits of spot assists. Wanted to try something different for a change. Everybody got seen (and got).

It was on Hamada.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

BTW I'm going to predict the Soviet planes by category:

Fighters: La-5 and La-7
Medium Bomber: IL2 Sturmovik
"Heavy" Bomber: PE-2

I’d love a Lavochkin, but I’ll bet it’s a Yak-3 and a Yak-9. An Il-2M3 with the huge cannons is gonna be so fun :allears:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm going with the La-5 because when you ask people to picture a WW2 Soviet fighter the La-5 is what they picture.

Honestly if I had my druthers it would be an La-5, a Yak-3, and a P-39. Yeah I know there's only two fighter slots right now, I still want the drat Airacobra, that thing rules (at lower altitudes and oh would you look at where all the BF5 fights take place?).

Julius CSAR posted:

An Il-2M3 with the huge cannons is gonna be so fun :allears:

Agreed!!!

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 5, 2019

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Gonz posted:

Spent an hour last night just grinding stuff in Recon class; got nearly 7,000 points one round just spotting people and reaping the benefits of spot assists. Wanted to try something different for a change. Everybody got seen (and got).

It was on Hamada.

I enjoy that the meta game has expanded in this way because medicgame is also fun.

U can roleplay as a Quaker

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I haven't had a lot of time to play lately because my dad was in a wreck and has required a lot of attention but I went positive in a fighter for the first time today and that made my whole day.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

RCarr posted:

Ok fine, BF4 Conquest.

Truth

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
BF1942 loving around with vehicles with a few of your friends while listening to The Prodigy and wingwalking on bombers/stachelcharging jeeps across the map and later doing the same with Desert Combat and that awesome post apocalypse mod with the zepplins and monster trucks was the best game mode

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Songbearer posted:

BF1942 loving around with vehicles with a few of your friends while listening to The Prodigy and wingwalking on bombers/stachelcharging jeeps across the map and later doing the same with Desert Combat and that awesome post apocalypse mod with the zepplins and monster trucks was the best game mode

Ok maybe Desert Combat is the answer. I miss parking the blackhawk on the hill above C at lost village and using it as a stationary gun.

Also, no helicopters have been as hard to fly in BF as Desert Combat helicopters.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I remember the choppers from the pc BF Vietnam having an insane learning curve.

I’m fairly sure that high school me did it with just the keyboard.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I went so far as to have a PC flight stick for BF Vietnam through BF 4. It helped flying anything in a major way.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I've been having alot of fun playing recon, zipping around, 1911 in hand and catching people unawares (especially on Rotterdam), and then getting out the Lee Enfield for the point and click adventure game.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Ok maybe Desert Combat is the answer. I miss parking the blackhawk on the hill above C at lost village and using it as a stationary gun.

Also, no helicopters have been as hard to fly in BF as Desert Combat helicopters.

That was one of my favourite maps! I remember flying across that big lake in my blackhawk, dropping off troops on rooftops and dodging RPG's then flying back and doing it all over again.

I really liked Blackhawk Down. ;)

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

I'm going with the La-5 because when you ask people to picture a WW2 Soviet fighter the La-5 is what they picture.

Honestly if I had my druthers it would be an La-5, a Yak-3, and a P-39. Yeah I know there's only two fighter slots right now, I still want the drat Airacobra, that thing rules (at lower altitudes and oh would you look at where all the BF5 fights take place?).to

Agreed!!!

I still gotta go with the Yak. I mean, to be totally honest I would much rather have an La-7, but you can still see Yaks at airshows, most Soviet WW2 fighters in Western museums are Yaks, and we fought Yak-9s in Korea. I think it’s probably more well known. Also so far all the fighters we have use inline engines, no Tempests or 190s, and there’s even concept art with an MC.202. But don’t get me wrong, I would much rather have those big beautiful radials.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Celebrated the first pay packet at my new job by picking up a PS4 Pro, and this game from the holiday PSN sale. Only got the basic version, nothing looked worth spending more on the deluxe thing.

I'm playing on a fairly crappy small TV, so I'm not going to judge the graphics just yet. I will say I have noticed the hosed up sound issues. 1p view from a tank is hella loud, as it should be, but swap to 3p and there's barely any engine sound, and driving through stuff is almost silent at times. Odd, but I assume it'll get fixed.

I'm also the BF1 War Stories liker, putting them collectively into my top ten FPS campaigns list. But I do not care for these new ones. I really like the Bridger and Mason characters in Under No Flag, but then it's just “here are some map markers, go clear them” and then “hold off waves of enemies” and it's generic as hell. Then the same in the snow, but much much slower. Not feeling the French story either. I mean none of it is bad, it's just... well the BF1 stuff was so good, that returning to such by the numbers stuff feels like a waste. The visual language also feels off. We all know what WWII is supposed to look like, there's so much archive footage. Then 80% of the Germans are wearing that “tank top made from lots of magazine pouches” that looks like modern body armour, and I've never seen that in any photo from the time. Maybe it's a real thing, but it looks far too recent and throws me out.

And I don't want to be That Guy, but not having swastikas in the game feels odd. I know why there's not there, especially in MP, but when I'm shooting fascists I want them to look as much like fascists as possible.

I've had a chance to try a bit of multiplayer today. It's been pretty good so far. Nowhere near as good as BF1 for me, which was MY favourite MP shooter. I was all about the aesthetic and the setting. This just isn't hitting that same height of verisimilitude, but it's fine for what it is. I mostly played Frontlines for some reason, and learned that I'm really good with tanks in this game. I was hanging back on ridges, pounding the objectives for the footsloggers, taking out enemy armour from afar, then pushing up cautiously. I only had small successes with the FT-17 in BF1, I sucked with the other tanks. But the Valentine is my jam. Resupplying was a bitch, so I'm going for the faster reload and increased ammo count so I can win more of those long range slapfights without needing to roll back and repair so often.

Haven’t figured out the foot combat yet, but early days. Very much not a fan of the “alter the gun one bit at a time” cosmetic system as it looks fairly lovely. I loved the skins from BF1, but I'll see how this pans out over time.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Does anyone else feel like it's really hard to see people sometimes?espc on the grey and white winter maps

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Parkingtigers posted:

The visual language also feels off. We all know what WWII is supposed to look like, there's so much archive footage. Then 80% of the Germans are wearing that “tank top made from lots of magazine pouches” that looks like modern body armour, and I've never seen that in any photo from the time. Maybe it's a real thing, but it looks far too recent and throws me out.

:agreed:

I think a lot of people have similar thoughts but it all got swept in with the WOMEN nonsense from day 1 to the point it's impossible to talk about. I also think DICE tries to have it both ways a lot. They want cool customization and awesome feels, but they also want a serious and thoughtful historical take, so they end up attempting both and accomplishing neither.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Gonz posted:

It was on Hamada.
I basically use the spotting scope as a primary and every once in a while I'll go and pop a skull on a whim. Also I plant little explosive flowers everywhere, but only after I run by an ammo crate so I can plant em in pairs cause they're cuter that way

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Friar Zucchini posted:

I basically use the spotting scope as a primary and every once in a while I'll go and pop a skull on a whim. Also I plant little explosive flowers everywhere, but only after I run by an ammo crate so I can plant em in pairs cause they're cuter that way

Battlefield 5: Also I plant little explosive flowers everywhere

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

The visual language also feels off. We all know what WWII is supposed to look like, there's so much archive footage. Then 80% of the Germans are wearing that “tank top made from lots of magazine pouches” that looks like modern body armour, and I've never seen that in any photo from the time. Maybe it's a real thing, but it looks far too recent and throws me out.

And I don't want to be That Guy, but not having swastikas in the game feels odd. I know why there's not there, especially in MP, but when I'm shooting fascists I want them to look as much like fascists as possible.

You're insane.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Does anyone else feel like it's really hard to see people sometimes?espc on the grey and white winter maps

God help you if certain people in the thread see this post. You and the countless thousands of others (me included) that have trouble distinguishing enemies from the background are idiots/blind/broken, and just generally not as good as the few people in here that have NEVER NOT EVEN ONCE had trouble seeing an enemy in this absolutely perfect game.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Beastie posted:

You're insane.

Nah, hes kinda right

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wish the overall look was a bit more consistently WW2 (I’m sure this will improve over time) and had swastikas but it’s not the biggest deal. The game is fun enough that none of that stands out noticeably when you’re in the action.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I too wish the people that I can "never see" had swastikas on them.

Edit: Has a BF game ever had swastikas?

Beastie fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 7, 2019

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

RCarr posted:

You and the countless thousands of others (me included) that have trouble distinguishing enemies from the background are idiots/blind/broken, and just generally not as good

Pubbies gonna pub.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

FastestGunAlive posted:

Pubbies gonna pub.

:kiddo:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
But also who tf thinks the game is absolutely perfect? I’m trying to get that game build thank u dice

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Beastie posted:

Edit: Has a BF game ever had swastikas?

Kind of an lol question because all but the original 1942 wouldn't be in the proper era. Honestly can't remember if it had them or not.

But see you're doing the thing where you hyper focus on one aspect of the guy's post to throw out the entire argument. Do many (not insane) people really care if swastikas are in the game? Not really. It's just not important. But there is definitely a weird ahistorical aesthetic to the whole production and that is what he really cares about. But anytime anyone talks about this stupid game the whole conversation will instantly derail if the word "swastika" or "woman" is used at any point in any context.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

FastestGunAlive posted:

But also who tf thinks the game is absolutely perfect? I’m trying to get that game build thank u dice

The people who shoot down any and every criticism, I'd assume.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Oh I thought we were talking about actual posters in this thread

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea there's definitely not people who just straight up respond to countless people saying it's hard to see enemies with "lol no it's not git gud", etc. etc.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
They're probably in the PC thread, playing on Arras with potato graphics so the fields don't render lol.

WALLGOD
May 3, 2006
WALLS FOR THE WALLGOD
Honestly not sure why people are this hung up on a game where your super soldier avatar can sprint for miles without stopping and can operate every weapon and vehicle with no training all while taking a tank shell to the face and getting up via a magic syringe just to do it all over again.

Edit: in regards to realism

WALLGOD fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 7, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's a game where literally soldiers chuck green bags of ammo at your head to refill your reserves, it's not interested at all in realism and I'm ok with it.

The "problem" is the aesthetic, which is a departure from mass media.

Again I don't have a problem with that but it is going to turn people off; people are comfortable with a "brand"

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

RCarr posted:

Yea there's definitely not people who just straight up respond to countless people saying it's hard to see enemies with "lol no it's not git gud", etc. etc.

I haven't really seen that in this thread tbh. I find myself squinting a lot more to see people in this game than previous battlefields. People going backprone still messes me up from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

RCarr posted:

I think people just like to troll you cause you post like an obnoxious pre-teen