Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love the laptop that you can lay out as a sentry drone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I love the laptop that you can lay out as a sentry drone

Laptop gun as defense while you murder everyone with a Farsight on Complex was a good time. Goldeneye had good maps, but the good ones (other than Cradle) are in PD. 4 player Cradle is the only reason we ever turned Goldeneye on after Perfect Dark came out.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Panzerschwein posted:

Goldeneye allowed a lot of strange control schemes, including some that required two controllers in single player.

Yep. I think "Honey" let you do it, but it did make pressing the A&B buttons really hard.

Was it "Domino" or "Solitaire" or something that let you use two controllers? So you had both sticks, and play it like a modern dual-stick game.

Alternatively you could just sell-out and get a controller for people with normal hands... :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

These are actually really decent and I will fight anyone who disagrees

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Hey my only controller. How's it goin? We would fight over who got to use that one.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

oh hey I went ahead and started a new match while you were in the bathroom. no, no, I didn't start playing yet. [friend moves and entire cave explodes]

Holy poo poo I'm 10 years old again.

The best trick with proxy mines was throwing them on an ammo crate and picking it up and running before it activated. The mine is still active at that spot, but it's invisible until the crate respawns.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

ColdPie posted:

Holy poo poo I'm 10 years old again.

The best trick with proxy mines was throwing them on an ammo crate and picking it up and running before it activated. The mine is still active at that spot, but it's invisible until the crate respawns.

The best use of prox mines was rushing all the spawn points with a mine, then winning the match in 15 seconds after the first person dies.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ColdPie posted:

:lol: look at this amateur not putting the próx mines on the easily remembered spawn points and playing a game of chicken with the opponent. Whoever does first is going to die 8 times in a row.

Look Sir Droids posted:

The best use of prox mines was rushing all the spawn points with a mine, then winning the match in 15 seconds after the first person dies.

My man :hfive:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

These are actually really decent and I will fight anyone who disagrees

That analog stick was the truth, it held up way better than the one on the official controllers.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Infinite ammo, watch laser and making lightsaber noises with your mouth the entire time is a better star wars game than shadows of the empire

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:lol: look at this amateur not putting the próx mines on the easily remembered spawn points and playing a game of chicken with the opponent. Whoever does first is going to die 8 times in a row.

My man :hfive:

I'll allow that hiding the mine under resources is valid. I just liked to, instead, pick up body armor and toss a mine on the same spot. So when someone comes seeking aid, they get death instead. :boom:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'll allow that hiding the mine under resources is valid. I just liked to, instead, pick up body armor and toss a mine on the same spot. So when someone comes seeking aid, they get death instead. :boom:

This was the most bastard move, but it only works for the same group of people once or twice.

My favourite PD mode was one Dark Turtle sim against my friend and I (co-op against him, I mean). No radar. loving terrifying and really tense.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I always picked Lanky Kong in Golden Eye 64 because he had the longest melee reach.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RandomFerret posted:

Infinite ammo, watch laser and making lightsaber noises with your mouth the entire time is a better star wars game than shadows of the empire

Shadows of the Empire at least gave us Rogue Squadron. I had a demo disc of that for PC that was the first three levels and played the speeder battle dozens of times.

Picked up Octopath Traveler on sale. How’s Mario kart 8 if I’m primarily going to be playing it single player?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

How’s Mario kart 8 if I’m primarily going to be playing it single player?
It stars off easy, slaps you a few times in the second class, then proceeds to repeatedly kick you in the balls every race.
There's no story, just random vehicle unlocks, bots, and growing violent hatred.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I think Nintendo's drift-heavy analog sticks actually started in the Wii U era, but no one noticed because no one played their Wii U enough. Both my gamepad and my pro controller eventually had left analog stick drift, and now the same thing has happened to me twice on my Switch pro controller. If I had to blindly speculate, maybe there's something with the clickable sticks that's causing the problem? Because I played enough N64, Gamecube, and Wii for a lifetime and never had any drift issues until they started using the clickable sticks. No idea why the d-pad is so bad though.

I miss the era of Nintendo making weird looking but completely functional controllers. Everyone on the internet fawns all over the Wii U and Switch pro controllers but they're all form over function. The Gamecube controller did so much right with it's wacky-shaped buttons that are easy to feel and easy to describe to non-gamers learning controls, the octagonal gating on the analog sticks, the big puffy analog triggers, etc. The Wii U and Switch pros abandon all that great stuff for a completely bland and hyper-symmetrical controller. It's like the internet whined hard enough about Nintendo's controllers looking different and so they appeased the squeakiest wheels to wind up with something that costs a million dollars and doesn't even work correctly 100% of the time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mancalamania posted:

I think Nintendo's drift-heavy analog sticks actually started in the Wii U era, but no one noticed because no one played their Wii U enough. owned a WiiU.

You’re right about the GameCube controller, though, and I would by a scaled up version of one in an instant. The main complaint I heard about those was the tiny size but the ergonomics of it ruled.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The Bloop posted:

meat sims? did you guys loving suck or what

free for all with a few judge sims thrown in for balance

If you didn't like wracking up 100s of kills extremely easily with dumb setups like farsights and laptop guns then I just don't even know man

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

mancalamania posted:

If I had to blindly speculate, maybe there's something with the clickable sticks that's causing the problem?

I generally assume this is what the problem is on any controller with clickable sticks. I don't typically like games that use a stick click as a frequently used control feature except for Dark Souls lock-on (which I play using a plugged in Xbox 360 controller that is cheap enough to replace if I really have to and of all the controller brands I've used seems to have to sturdiest sticks). The absolute worst game was Metal Gear Solid 5 where you had to push the stick in a direction and click at the same time to sprint. Which you want to use ALL the time. It just felt like I was shredding the stick to do that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

mancalamania posted:

I think Nintendo's drift-heavy analog sticks actually started in the Wii U era, but no one noticed because no one played their Wii U enough. Both my gamepad and my pro controller eventually had left analog stick drift, and now the same thing has happened to me twice on my Switch pro controller. If I had to blindly speculate, maybe there's something with the clickable sticks that's causing the problem? Because I played enough N64, Gamecube, and Wii for a lifetime and never had any drift issues until they started using the clickable sticks. No idea why the d-pad is so bad though.

I miss the era of Nintendo making weird looking but completely functional controllers. Everyone on the internet fawns all over the Wii U and Switch pro controllers but they're all form over function. The Gamecube controller did so much right with it's wacky-shaped buttons that are easy to feel and easy to describe to non-gamers learning controls, the octagonal gating on the analog sticks, the big puffy analog triggers, etc. The Wii U and Switch pros abandon all that great stuff for a completely bland and hyper-symmetrical controller. It's like the internet whined hard enough about Nintendo's controllers looking different and so they appeased the squeakiest wheels to wind up with something that costs a million dollars and doesn't even work correctly 100% of the time.

With regards to Pro Controller analog sticks, the modules used for them are basically what a lot of controllers use now, so they got standardized. Unfortunately, the standard sucks.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Shadows of the Empire at least gave us Rogue Squadron. I had a demo disc of that for PC that was the first three levels and played the speeder battle dozens of times.

Picked up Octopath Traveler on sale. How’s Mario kart 8 if I’m primarily going to be playing it single player?

it's the best mario kart for just racing, but unfortunately none of the games have really had much single player content the way games like sonic racing transformed and diddy kong racing do

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

How’s Mario kart 8 if I’m primarily going to be playing it single player?

The computer may play nice once in a while, but then it's blue shell, red shell, red shell, followed by Bowser knocking you off course because gently caress you for being in 1st.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Elvis_Maximus posted:

If you didn't like wracking up 100s of kills extremely easily with dumb setups like farsights and laptop guns then I just don't even know man

I had a single player config with just max meat sims and laptop guns and automatics for when I felt the need

I think my most used setup was in that mission map with shotguns and revolvers only and a bunch of judge sims and vengesims

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mario Kart has good online multiplayer it works awesome and is a fun time. Single player is fun to see all the tracks just remember Mario Kart is about rubber banding. Expect a close race to be decided when the person in last get's a blue shell that murders everyone because everyone is in the same mile of track. For a far more typical spread out race last place will get a blue shell and 2nd or 3rd will come in 1st or they'll get a bullet bill and they'll shoot from 12th to 5th.

Some people get absolutely pissed at items like this, I find it's awesome because you can realistically play with someone that doesn't play too many games and they can win. They just have to understand drifting. You can also just not drift yourself, but it's not that hard to be passable. Once you get to passable you can win with item RNG. It's a game of statistics, the better you are the higher your win rate even against average players.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I've played a poo poo load of MK8 online, it's great. I'm at around 6000 ranked points. The single player mode is fine, it'll take a while to beat all four championship difficulties. It's a fine way to master the tracks.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

i have bad news; nintendo is trying to keep luigi down again :smith:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waffle! posted:

The computer may play nice once in a while, but then it's blue shell, red shell, red shell, followed by Bowser knocking you off course because gently caress you for being in 1st.

It not as bad as previous ones about that.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
At 22 hrs 45 min I have done all I want to do in Pokemon Let’s Go Pikachu. And it was a library rental so I didn’t spend anything on it

I didn’t use any candies the whole game and just dumped them all into Pikachu. Breezed through the Elite 4 and Champion. Then went to get Mewtwo, and captured him on the 5th Ultra Ball.

Really fun game, kind of easy, but it’s all good. I just wish they didn’t make Pikachu so powerful that it was pointless to use anyone else unless electricity was a strong weakness.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Did any of y'all ever play GoldenEye: Source? I ran a server for it when it first came out and it was great, except there were never more than 100 people playing it online at any one time.

My server I had rotating weapon loadouts with goofy names like, all Klobbs was "Klobberin Time".

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Luigi is superior to mario

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Astro7x posted:

At 22 hrs 45 min I have done all I want to do in Pokemon Let’s Go Pikachu. And it was a library rental so I didn’t spend anything on it

I didn’t use any candies the whole game and just dumped them all into Pikachu. Breezed through the Elite 4 and Champion. Then went to get Mewtwo, and captured him on the 5th Ultra Ball.

Really fun game, kind of easy, but it’s all good. I just wish they didn’t make Pikachu so powerful that it was pointless to use anyone else unless electricity was a strong weakness.

You are the one who made Pikachu powerful.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

i have bad news; nintendo is trying to keep luigi down again :smith:

Let Luigi crack her egg you cowards

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Astro7x posted:

You kinda have to limit yourself in Pokémon games if you don’t want it too easy. I usually do so by benching the starter as soon as I can.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

SeANMcBAY posted:

You kinda have to limit yourself in Pokémon games if you don’t want it too easy. I usually do so by benching the starter as soon as I can.

Take the bad, defensive starter :chaostrump:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Starter Pikachu is still outclassed by a wild caught Pikachu evolved into Raichu.

Starter
HP: 45
Attack: 80
Defense:50
Sp.Atk: 75
Sp.Def: 60
Speed: 120

Raichu
HP: 60
Attack: 90
Defense:55
Sp.Atk: 90
Sp.Def: 80
Speed: 110

The starter only has a slight speed advantage because Ash taught Pikachu agility in the anime making it faster than the one Surge had.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m not playing a Pokémon game until Nintendo gets off their rear end and makes one that looks and plays like Witcher 3 or something.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dehry posted:

Starter Pikachu is still outclassed by a wild caught Pikachu evolved into Raichu.

Starter
HP: 45
Attack: 80
Defense:50
Sp.Atk: 75
Sp.Def: 60
Speed: 120

Raichu
HP: 60
Attack: 90
Defense:55
Sp.Atk: 90
Sp.Def: 80
Speed: 110

The starter only has a slight speed advantage because Ash taught Pikachu agility in the anime making it faster than the one Surge had.

But can that Raichu use Splishy Splash???? checkmate

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m not playing a Pokémon game until Nintendo gets off their rear end and makes one that looks and plays like Witcher 3 or something.

lol

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Cartoon Man posted:

The latest allegedly accurate rumor is that poke2019 has been in Dev for 4 years and is gonna be the "botw" of the franchise. So maybe sooner than later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

bushisms.txt posted:

The latest allegedly accurate rumor is that poke2019 has been in Dev for 4 years and is gonna be the "botw" of the franchise. So maybe sooner than later?

I won't believe it until I actually see, but it would really be nice because that franchise has stagnated so loving hard.