Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Farming is pretty lucrative, and can be stress free.

My family farm raises catfish and honey.

The initial costs to get set up are massive, and the bank will own your rear end for years though.

You also have to be able to budget because you're not getting a regular paycheck. You get a variable injection of cash a few times a year.

And you better make sure you buy health insurance too in case you wind up on the wrong end of a catfish stampede

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

And you better make sure you buy health insurance too in case you wind up on the wrong end of a catfish stampede

That's part of budgeting, but yeah. Although the family that work on it full time are retired. The rest of us just show up during harvest for a couple of days.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Siljmonster posted:

local sandwich shop sucks poo poo

Maybe it's because I only hang out with fellow commies in Sacramento but I've never heard anything good about this place lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

the family that work on it full time are retired.

That's not how retirement works

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

That's not how retirement works

It is in my family. We like doing things and staying busy. We also live too long.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

spacetoaster posted:

the family that work on it full time are retired
?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

As in retired from a career, and now doing something different (farming).

I am retiring from my current career in about a year, I am attending college right now so I can start a new career (teaching) once I retire from this job.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lol is this prof??

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

spacetoaster posted:

Sound like kulaks to me!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Former DILF posted:

if some smart guys did the automation themselves

lol like it's 1780 or something - yeah dude just invent a cotton gin in your shed bing bong so simple

Senor Dog posted:

Seems more like they're using it as an excuse to up their price beyond the increased cost of labor and doing so in a super snotty way.

they're definitely just whining about it because they are mad there was a minimum wage hike at all

meanwhile I'm here like "oh so you pay your employees minimum fuckin' wage and apparently never give raises which means turn over is high"

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 17:50 on Jan 4, 2019

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

Sound like kulaks to me!

Why don't you come on down here and say that, city boy. :clint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvaEJzoaYZk

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If I got picked up in that I'd assume I was being kidnapped by the villains from Happy and they were going to torture me to death.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

bring back old gbs posted:

lol is this prof??

Yup :)

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Larry Parrish posted:

Maybe it's because I only hang out with fellow commies in Sacramento but I've never heard anything good about this place lol

who the gently caress you hanging out with come to streets for beer and roses tonight also

Siljmonster posted:

You can go-to dad's in midtown and get like a sandwich that will make you cum and it still cost less than Ike's and their employees are paid well

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Somehow the idea of farm life somehow being more eco friendly than city living is stuck in the mental conscience and it's dumb beyond all comprehension. I think that's why a lot of rural voters are conservative. They're single issue voters in as much as they'll vote for whatever keeps the diesel cheap.

farmers voted en masse for the guy who promised to expel their labor force and destroy the market for their products through trade wars. it’s like they specifically voted to gently caress themselves over.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

I am retiring from my current career in about a year, I am attending college right now so I can start a new career (teaching) once I retire from this job.

everyone just calls that changing careers

like no one says they retired from fast food once they got an office job

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Inept posted:

everyone just calls that changing careers

like no one says they retired from fast food once they got an office job

Maybe.

When I say retirement I'm referring to actually collecting a retirement + benefits.

Enough to live on and not to work anymore.

Teaching is just something I want to do.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

i'm a retired high school student

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Senor Dog posted:

i'm a retired high school student

How much does that pay?

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

spacetoaster posted:

Maybe.

When I say retirement I'm referring to actually collecting a retirement + benefits.

Enough to live on and not to work anymore.

Teaching is just something I want to do.

stealing our jerbs

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Siljmonster posted:

who the gently caress you hanging out with come to streets for beer and roses tonight also

ive gotta be at work tomorrow at 9 but maybe. if you go every month you already know me, chances are

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

spacetoaster posted:

Farming is pretty lucrative, and can be stress free.

My family farm raises catfish and honey.

The initial costs to get set up are massive, and the bank will own your rear end for years though.

You also have to be able to budget because you're not getting a regular paycheck. You get a variable injection of cash a few times a year.

Do stressed out career focused ladies ever come to your family farm and fall in love with their simple country ways?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The farmers are the real 1%, I say Stalinishly

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

If you think it's too expensive to pay someone decently for doing work for you, then you should simply do the work yourself.

Make the lovely sandwiches yourself instead of sitting in the back office all day being angry that your staff get money for their labour, Gordon.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i named the position sandwich artist because you're supposed to starve

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i named the position sandwich artist because you're supposed to starve

:wow:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Bar tender at my local bar sadly told me beer was going up .25 soon, because he was getting a raise, to the new state minimum wage.

He seemed sad and after talking discovered he was very upset his minimum wage job was getting a pay raise because milk was just going to get more expensive and went into the whole "it drives everything up argument." When I told him that wages havent kept up with cost of living, subsidized milk aside, forever. An old next to me said he remembered working for 3.25 minimum wage when he was young. And therefore the coversation was over and the :smug: see 13.50 is too high, had clearly won.

Poor dumb bastards. Literally.

Boomers have this really weird ability where they're able to recall whatever wage they were making in 1970 as well as the cost of candy, milk, bread, their wedding, first house, etc but are completely unable to connect the dots on how that 1970's wage compares to the cost of food and poo poo compared to now.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Professor Shark posted:

Boomers have this really weird ability where they're able to recall whatever wage they were making in 1970 as well as the cost of candy, milk, bread, their wedding, first house, etc but are completely unable to connect the dots on how that 1970's wage compares to the cost of food and poo poo compared to now.

i generally just go with "how many gallons of gas could you buy with an hour of work at that job"

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
lol at pretending sacramento has a city life and options rather than chains

youll eat togos and like it

feller
Jul 5, 2006

heh ur city sucks because your options for consuming prepared food are worse :smug:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Bombadilillo posted:

Bar tender at my local bar sadly told me beer was going up .25 soon, because he was getting a raise, to the new state minimum wage.

He seemed sad and after talking discovered he was very upset his minimum wage job was getting a pay raise because milk was just going to get more expensive and went into the whole "it drives everything up argument." When I told him that wages havent kept up with cost of living, subsidized milk aside, forever. An old next to me said he remembered working for 3.25 minimum wage when he was young. And therefore the coversation was over and the :smug: see 13.50 is too high, had clearly won.

Poor dumb bastards. Literally.

Federal minimum jumped straight from $3.10 to $3.35 during '80 - '81.

Adjusted for inflation, that's:
  • 1980: $10.03
  • 1981: $9.70
Current federal minimum is $7.25

Mr. Moneybags over there

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Accretionist posted:

Federal minimum jumped straight from $3.10 to $3.35 during '80 - '81.

Adjusted for inflation, that's:
  • 1980: $10.03
  • 1981: $9.70
Current federal minimum is $7.25

Mr. Moneybags over there

Washington state going to 13.50

But imagine

IMAGINE

buying so deep into right wing chain email logic that you are upset you are getting a raise?!?

Bombadilillo has issued a correction as of 00:14 on Jan 5, 2019

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Even if costs go up

By definition a limited portion of production factors going up in price by X% is only going to increase aggregate costs by X/Y%

So if you are he guy getting the X% raise, you are going to end up ahead even in the most naive, worst case scenario. Imagine if people argued that increasing the price of lumber by 10% was going to increase the cost of all goods by 10%.

People are criminally dumb.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I really hope this shitbag 'cost of doing business' fee restaurants are adding to try and turn folks against the new min wage increases backfire terribly. Like sign me the gently caress up if all it costs to get everyone to a livable wage is paying an extra 7-15% on luxuries like eating out. It'll be wven sweeter when it goes public actually that 7-15% also includes padding for the greedy capitalist.
But we know there has to have been extensive focus group testing that shows 75 cents (and it's always 75 cents) was the exact sweet spot to get boomers mad and mobilized about gubm'nt but too lazy to actually consume less.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As a business man I hae the idea of my employees having dispensable income to spend elsewhere, which will return to me in the spending of other waged persons. I'm smart and a captain of industry, now watch this drive.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

steinrokkan posted:

As a business man I hae the idea of my employees having dispensable income to spend elsewhere, which will return to me in the spending of other waged persons. I'm smart and a captain of industry, now watch this drive.

No no no the multiplier effect only happens when job creators spend (or more realistically horde) money! The dirty poors taint any bill they hold. Ruining the magic.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I like it when business's add a "processing fee" for poo poo we're already paying them to do.