Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
All this "motherfucker" hysteria...has anyone said anything about the "impeach" part of the sentence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Is this somehow taking into account that she's been sentenced already and by the time she's done cooperating she'll have beyond time served and should be able to just walk into a plane and gtfo back to Russia?

No idea just cribbing news reports.

quote:

A Russian politician, meanwhile, hinted Friday that the detainee could possibly be swapped for a Russian woman who has pleaded guilty to trying to influence US politics — gun rights activist, Maria Butina.
CNN reports that Russia is considering the deal which would see Mr Whelan returned to the US.
“I do think that Putin wants there to be some sort of quid pro quo so that he has some leverage over how quickly Butina can be released and probably deported back to Russia as soon as possible,” national security analyst Steve Hall told CNN.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lid posted:

No idea just cribbing news reports.

isnt she already out of jail or some crap?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

InsertPotPun posted:

All this "motherfucker" hysteria...has anyone said anything about the "impeach" part of the sentence?

That's the funniest part; not really. It's all just about policing a woman of colors language. It's naked and ugly and gently caress :decorum: forever. Bring on all the future motherfucks. Conservatives have literally no clue how to handle being hit back.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'm not sure why PAYGO is so bad, since I support rising taxes to pay for things I want?

Because those things don't necessarily have to be done at the same time, and requiring them to be done at the same time makes getting things you want harder. And sometimes you might want to run a deficit on purpose.

Would you say "nah nevermind then" to fixing Flint's water or Puerto Rico hurricane relief or Medicare For All if congress couldn't agree on a tax raise the same year.

The other reason it's bad is that Republicans don't give two shits about the deficit so in practice it's easy to waive it for bad things like wars but difficult to waive it for good things where you have to get every Democratic senator on board. So effectively it just bottles up progressive legislation without being an impediment to deficit spending for conservative goals.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'm not sure why PAYGO is so bad, since I support rising taxes to pay for things I want?

Because the idea the country needs to be run like a household is ludicrous and also hamstring stuff because of what might happen in six years is really dumb. Notice how PAYGO doesn't seem to really stop the Republicans from blowing up the deficit constantly so it doesn't even do what it is supposed to. Fiscal conservatism is a lie that only right wing Democrats believe in and are stupid for doing so since they are never rewarded for it (unless you are cynical and think it's because their real goal is getting rich from donors and kickbacks).

It's the "decorum" of tax policy. It's just used by people acting in bad faith to have a Serious reason to opposed things they don't like and then just ignore it when it benefits them.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

isnt she already out of jail or some crap?

No, but by the time her cooperation is over and she's sentenced, the estimated 6 months of incarceration she'd probably get will have already been served.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Willa Rogers posted:

A whole lot of dummies fell for Obama's "the government needs to run its budget like a household" as an excuse for his launchpad into years of austerity proposals but the trope took hold among liberals thereafter and welp, here we are. Who could have ever predicted it?

Surely, this time that Talk for Dummies won't lead to further austerity measures, or merely as a backstop to expansion of earned benefits!

Yes, a brand new idea from Obama, nobody had ever discussed the deficit in those terms, it's actually quite easy to get the American people to understand non-intuitive ideas

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

While making a big show about how tiny and hard to find they are

I'm kinkshaming you over this post.

I can understand why she did it; its extremely exhausting to deal with politics and everyone has their own view and wants to fight about it. It's why I don't talk about politics with family.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

VitalSigns posted:

Because those things don't necessarily have to be done at the same time, and requiring them to be done at the same time makes getting things you want harder. And sometimes you might want to run a deficit on purpose.

Would you say "nah nevermind then" to fixing Flint's water or Puerto Rico hurricane relief or Medicare For All if congress couldn't agree on a tax raise the same year.

The other reason it's bad is that Republicans don't give two shits about the deficit so in practice it's easy to waive it for bad things like wars but difficult to waive it for good things where you have to get every Democratic senator on board. So effectively it just bottles up progressive legislation without being an impediment to deficit spending for conservative goals.

The issue with PAYGO is that its' federal law (again passed in 1990), which means if you don't waive it then automatic cuts happen. That clause exists whether Dems say they are going to abide by PAYGO in the rules package or not.

So progressives would have to get a waiver for PAYGO for M4A regardless of whether it was in the rules package.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
So I’m new to the cable news poo poo. I just got Sirius for my long commute. What’s the deal with the morning show on MSNBC. This morning was like one long dogwhistle about how wrong and awful AOC is.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

mcmagic posted:

So what was the point of having PayGo again?

It's a fig leaf tossed out to calm the idiots who don't understand that there is a difference between a household budget and a national budget.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Noise Complaint posted:

So I’m new to the cable news poo poo. I just got Sirius for my long commute. What’s the deal with the morning show on MSNBC. This morning was like one long dogwhistle about how wrong and awful AOC is.

Welcome to corporate news. Think about it the next time someone complains about the left-wing media.

E: Also if I remember correctly Joe Scarborough is the host and while he's not a complete rear end in a top hat he's still a Republican.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

Yes, a brand new idea from Obama, nobody had ever discussed the deficit in those terms, it's actually quite easy to get the American people to understand non-intuitive ideas

FDR managed to find the words.

I find this attitude baffling, that we shouldn't make the case for correct ideas if they aren't already believed by a majority of the population, instead we should make the case for incorrect, bad, wrong, and harmful ideas and hope we get an opportunity to enact a good idea on the sly and promptly get destroyed in the next elections by the consequences of our own rhetoric.

How do you think people become convinced of better ideas, if no one makes the case for them and spends all their time reinforcing bad ideas because people currently believe them.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Skyarb posted:

On the topic of Joe Rogan being lovely, here is post in the joe rogan subreddit today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/JoeRogan/comments/ackm4p/would_you_guys_want_to_see_louis_ck_on_the_podcast/

The joerogan subreddit is the perfect distillation of everything that's wrong with Joe Rogan and his podcast fans. It's just an unending whinefest about SJWs and an Elon Musk circlejerk.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Noise Complaint posted:

Listen to podcasts or something on your long commute. You're going to go loving insane if you spend a large portion of every day listening to poo poo like MSNBC.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

theflyingorc posted:

that's like saying you should explain global warming with 'we just need to turn the thermostat down in our world-house!!!!' Just because you can make people go 'oooooh' doesn't mean you're actually educating them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

The issue with PAYGO is that its' federal law (again passed in 1990), which means if you don't waive it then automatic cuts happen. That clause exists whether Dems say they are going to abide by PAYGO in the rules package or not.

So progressives would have to get a waiver for PAYGO for M4A regardless of whether it was in the rules package.

Actually it expired in 2002.

It's only law again because Dems passed it into law again in 2010, and now here you are using that self-inflicted wound as a self-justification for continuing to support it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also yea I'd literally rather watch nothing but Fox all day than the same for MSNBC, at least Fox's panicked status quo flailing is funny

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

It's only law again because Dems passed it into law again in 2010, and now here you are using that self-inflicted wound as a self-justification for continuing to support it.

Yea you're right it became law again in 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutory_Pay-As-You-Go_Act_of_2010

And yea I want it repealed. Just saying that because it's law we're kind of hosed whether it's in the democratic rules package or not.

Again though, it's dumb for it to be in the rules package, and I hope the law is repealed.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

that's like saying you should explain global warming with 'we just need to turn the thermostat down in our world-house!!!!' Just because you can make people go 'oooooh' doesn't mean you're actually educating them.

It's more like saying we should note that a bunch of Americans think global warming is a myth made up by the Chinese, and so we should campaign on the common-sense notion that we must resist Chinese influence and trust that God's gift of human dominion over the earth prevents us from harming the environment, because science is hard and changing minds is impossible, but don't worry once we get elected we'll pass that carbon tax anyway.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

This is what happens when you blindly update iOS on your phone without reading the reviews first.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Well work fired off an email this afternoon saying "we currently anticipate being able to continue operations for a few additional weeks".

Whatever that means.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Yea you're right it became law again in 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutory_Pay-As-You-Go_Act_of_2010

And yea I want it repealed. Just saying that because it's law we're kind of hosed whether it's in the democratic rules package or not.

Again though, it's dumb for it to be in the rules package, and I hope the law is repealed.

I agree with this, but also I'd say that a prerequisite to repealing it is explaining why it needs to be repealed and we can't do that if we keep it in the rules package and pretend it's a great idea.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

also yea I'd literally rather watch nothing but Fox all day than the same for MSNBC, at least Fox's panicked status quo flailing is funny

I know this is a joke but mind poison is still poison even if you know it's poison

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lemming posted:

I know this is a joke but mind poison is still poison even if you know it's poison

well yea obviously don't listen to either is the real answer

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

I agree with this, but also I'd say that a prerequisite to repealing it is explaining why it needs to be repealed and we can't do that if we keep it in the rules package and pretend it's a great idea.

Yea I agree with that, which is why I said it's dumb for it to be in the rules package

Anyway, hope dems take up the repeal of it to hammer home that deficit spending is a good thing.

I'll admit it's risky politically, but it needs to be done.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

AOC advocating a hard 70% tax rate on the rich is probably the most left-wing economic position I've heard out of anyone on the left in the past 50 years. Even Bernie hasn't advocated such a thing. :monocle:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Leftists trying to tie paygo to the death of MFA is quite frankly dumb since that is EXACTLY how single payer works in other countries. You aren't going to just print money to pay for health care.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Well work fired off an email this afternoon saying "we currently anticipate being able to continue operations for a few additional weeks".

Whatever that means.

It basically means "if this shutdown lasts more than a month you're all hosed" so I hope you've got some savings ready just in case.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1081306857065598978

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Leftists trying to tie paygo to the death of MFA is quite frankly dumb since that is EXACTLY how single payer works in other countries. You aren't going to just print money to pay for health care.

Other countries run zero deficits?

They never deficit spend, at all?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

This worked out great for the Democrats right? I've been in a come for a decade but I assume they were rewarded by all the people who love fiscal responsibility with lots of votes at both the national and local levels.

sexpig by night posted:

MSNBC is kinda worse since everyone knows Fox is just the media wing of the GOP but MSNBC pretends to be real news while they are pushing right wing bullshit all the time.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Other countries run zero deficits?

They never deficit spend, at all?

I see your reading comprehension is as good as your posts.

How do you think health care is paid for in places like England and Canada?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Public spending on healthcare in the US per capita is already as high or higher than most countries with UHC too.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

I see your reading comprehension is as good as your posts.

How do you think health care is paid for in places like England and Canada?

I assume, like any country, partly with taxes, partly with bonds, partly with new money creation, which changes from year to year based on structural issues?

How do you think it is paid for? Do you think if tax revenues decrease because of say an economic contraction, then Canada just starts kicking people out of hospital beds to balance the books?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Mr Interweb posted:

AOC advocating a hard 70% tax rate on the rich is probably the most left-wing economic position I've heard out of anyone on the left in the past 50 years. Even Bernie hasn't advocated such a thing. :monocle:

This made me take a look at the hard right to see what they were up to, they didn't disappoint.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2015/06/17/gay-rights-have-made-us-dumber-its-time-to-get-back-in-the-closet/

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Lemming posted:

Eh, Fox is so hilariously and blatantly bad that I really doubt anyone who isn't already predisposed to its particular bias would ever be influenced by it. It was on all the time in the main space of an office that I used to work from, and the only thing it ever did was give me a deep appreciation for how overwhelmingly stupid conservatives actually are.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oh it is only going to get worse from here on out. First missed pay check will be next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

Funny thing is it's not even that lefty of an idea. Seems a lot of center-left think tanks embrace it as well. (based on the response I've read from center-lefties on AOC's proposal)

Think it doesn't happen more out of political fear than policy reasons.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 5, 2019