Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Sooo I can park at an ungated Northwest Forest Pass site without a pass; right? :clint: Since there are no feds and all.

(Yeah I just tried to buy a pass but the USGS website displays only an outage message.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Sooo I can park at an ungated Northwest Forest Pass site without a pass; right? :clint: Since there are no feds and all.

(Yeah I just tried to buy a pass but the USGS website displays only an outage message.)

Go for it!

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/12/31/some-parks-overwhelmed-with-trash-during-shutdown/

People are awful

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

People like this are why we cant have nice things

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Yeah we can't do those fun things here. I have a Jeep aaand all the gates are always closed anyway, so no driving on DNR roads. I suppose I know one FS road that's ungated.

Trailheads here with pit toilets aren't generally emptied over the winter from what I've seen, presumably because use rates drop considerably. If I see approaching issues in Feb, I usually let the ranger district know since it might be another month before they check.

Please tell derpy people to stop being jerks if you catch them.

I was waiting until the start of the month to get my pass. I got screwed out of my trip to Rainier (closed, pass expired). I don't expect to be able to hold out until Feb without a nwfp, so I'll get one at REI.

tldr: I leave no trace and obey rules, but know when to buy passes for maximum utility.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

If the question is, will the iron ranger get mad if I don't pay? U a bitch but go camp.

If the question is, can I go buck wild and OTV in old growth groves and poo poo in a river and shoot bears? Kill ur self.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
for real, if you're visiting the parks during shutdown donate time and/or money.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I attempted to do the hike to Rabbit Peak in the Santa Rosa Mountains on Wed/Thurs but ran into problems due to snow. So my 24 mile overnight turned into 14 miles to a spot just shy of Villager Peak.

The trailhead is just off Highway 78 about halfway between Borrego Springs and Salton Sea and starts around 1000' above sea level.

Whole lotta stalks growing this time of the year.

First break at ~2400 feet or so.

The last time I tried this hike there wasn't any snow reported on Villager Peak but this year it was ~3000 feet when I started seeing it.

Since I'm dumb and didn't prepare for 2-3" of soft snow I stopped 0.25 miles from Villager Peak since the trail is along the ridge and covered in snow and I was still going for 20 minutes after sunset. Though I was rewarded with this view in the morning at ~5600ft up.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
We're taking a ~11 day trip through Utah national parks (+ Grand Canyon) at the start of February. Government shutdown situation could change that, but currently we're planning with the naive hope it'll all work out (lol).

We're renting a campervan and hopefully doing mostly dispersed/unimproved "camping". While we have the gear for cold-weather camping, a week and half of sub-freezing tent camping didn't appeal. Main goals are to hike, see sights, and avoid crowds as much as possible. Obviously we won't be in the middle of wilderness areas, but hopefully the winter months will help us get in some more secluded adventures.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to split our time among Grand Canyon (south rim only in winter), Arches, Canyonlands, Grand Staircase, Bryce, and Zion? I've been roughly thinking 2 days/nights for each, except maybe splitting 3 days between Arches and Canyonlands. I'm really not sure how much time to allot here, though. Any advice is appreciated.

Also, while we're used to picking out hikes, any must-do suggestions are welcome. We'll probably alternate days between small sightseeing walks and longer 8-12+ mile dayhikes.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I did a 14 day trip 2 summers ago (Knoxville to Tulsa to Grand Canyon to Las Vegas to Zion to Byrce to Arches to Canyonlands to Boulder to Knoxville) in an Outback. We camped most of the time.

Some random thoughts that may or may not apply to you:

- Spend more time in Zion, and also hike other places besides Angel Landing/Narrows (hike them too of course). Hidden Canyon and Observation Point are both great (and both start at the Weeping Rock Trailhead).
- When you are near Zion look up Red Hollow Slot Canyon hike in Orderville, UT. Be warn make sure you have good directions before you go into the middle of nowhere. Still it is worth it.
- The Grand Canyon is cool to see, but I wish I would have spent more time at other places. For an easy sunset hike (away from people) I would suggest Shoshone Point.
- Mix in a night or 2 at a RV park. You get hot showers, washer and dryer, etc, and they not too bad price wise if you are not using a RV spot. One of the best decisions we made.
- My biggest disappointment was that we only got a one day at Canyonlands. We did several small hikes, and the stand out was the Aztec Butte hike
- At Arches I would do the Fiery Furnace hike. Be warn this is a ranger led only hike and you most reserve yourself a spot(s) as soon as possible (you can do it online). That said I would guess you would have to wait until the government opens back up.

About time? Hmmm if I had to do 11 days I would do 1 day Grand Canyon, 3 days Zion, 3 days between Bryce and Grand Staircase, and 4 days Moab.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 7, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you’re doing Zion definitely do Angels Lansing and The Narrows. They’re both unique and iconic for a reason.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’m pretty sure there was a long post a while back responding to someone doing a similar trip. Does anyone have that? I remember it being a really solid itinerary

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Splinter posted:

Bryce and Capitol Reef have free, easy dispersed camping right outside the park borders (before you even hit the surrounding town). The park visitors centers are usually happy to tell you about the dispersed camping in the area.

In Zion, if you only do one thing you probably want to do the Narrows, but if you want to go deep up the canyon that can end up taking up most of your day. You could squeeze something shorter like Emerald Pools in afterwards. Watchman is a nice short hike to do that starts at the visitors center (no need to hop on a bus). Great option to do before setting up camp if you arrive late in the day. Angels Landing is the popular hike if you want to climb up the side of the canyon, but that was closed due to rockslide damage (as was half of Emerald Pools) when we were there a few weeks ago.

If you're arriving in the mid-late afternoon, I'd recommend doing Watchman, camp, get up and do The Narrows and another shorter hike if you have the energy, camp again, then get up early and drive to Bryce. You can see most of Bryce that day, camp, then head through Grand Staircase toward Capitol Reef.

In an afternoon in Bryce you could easily start at Sunrise point and do Queens Garden trail, then from the bottom cut over to Navajo Loop and take that back up to Sunset Point. If you get there early enough and/or hike fast and have a lot of energy, you could also do Peekaboo loop. Peekaboo + Navajo/Queens Garden is pretty much everything in the amphitheater. The only thing you'd really be missing is Fairyland (which we didn't do). Whatever you do, make sure you hit the Wall Street section of Navajo loop.

Highway 12 between Bryce and Capitol Reef is an epic drive, especially once you get a bit past Escalante. Make sure you do this drive while it's light out. There's also some cool hikes you can do in Grand Staircase National Monument during this segment. We did the Zebra Slot hike. The slot itself was flooded, so we had to swim in to get to the narrow/beautiful section. Would've been cooler if it wasn't flooded, but it was still worthwhile. Tunnel Slot is also accessible from that trail. The canyon you hike through to get out to Zebra Slot is also pretty cool in its own right. There are a lot of great Grand Staircase hikes you can reach from Hole in the Rock Rd (BLM 200, just past Escalante) depending on how much time you have. E.g., Coyote Gulch, Peek-a-boo. Do some Googling. I'll definitely be back to spend some more time there.

It's worth considering camping somewhere along 12 rather than at Capitol Reef so you have more time to do something in Grand Staircase. Then from there, drive to Moab and only stop for a few hours in Capitol Reef on your way. We didn't spend too much time in Capitol Reef and didn't feel like we missed too much. We just drove down the Scenic Drive, then stopped at the Petroglyphs and Hickman Bridge on the way through the park on 24 east. Hickman Bridge is definitely worth the short hike. It's actually bigger than a lot of the arches you'll see in Arches.

Arches can mostly be seen from car pull outs and really short walks to viewpoints. The main spot to actually hike is Devil's Garden, which I recommend.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

nate fisher posted:

I did a 14 day trip 2 summers ago (Knoxville to Tulsa to Grand Canyon to Las Vegas to Zion to Byrce to Arches to Canyonlands to Boulder to Knoxville) in an Outback. We camped most of the time.

Some random thoughts that may or may not apply to you:

- Spend more time in Zion, and also hike other places besides Angel Landing/Narrows (hike them too of course). Hidden Canyon and Observation Point are both great (and both start at the Weeping Rock Trailhead).
- When you are near Zion look up Red Hollow Slot Canyon hike in Orderville, UT. Be warn make sure you have good directions before you go into the middle of nowhere. Still it is worth it.
- The Grand Canyon is cool to see, but I wish I would have spent more time at other places. For an easy sunset hike (away from people) I would suggest Shoshone Point.
- Mix in a night or 2 at a RV park. You get hot showers, washer and dryer, etc, and they not too bad price wise if you are not using a RV spot. One of the best decisions we made.
- My biggest disappointment was that we only got a one day at Canyonlands. We did several small hikes, and the stand out was the Aztec Butte hike
- At Arches I would do the Fiery Furnace hike. Be warn this is a ranger led only hike and you most reserve yourself a spot(s) as soon as possible (you can do it online). That said I would guess you would have to wait until the government opens back up.

About time? Hmmm if I had to do 11 days I would do 1 day Grand Canyon, 3 days Zion, 3 days between Bryce and Grand Staircase, and 4 days Moab.

Thanks, this (and the other quoted itinerary) is really helpful! We're definitely mixing in a shower or two. Probably at least one hotel night in Moab to do laundry and be warm.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/johnupton/status/1083387896403505153

Hope you guys are ready for all the national parks to be hosed up because shutting them down during the last shutdown was a "political stunt".

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It amazes me how fast the parks get hosed up when no one is there to watch them. poo poo sucks

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
People are animals. All the people who complain about NPs being busy, expensive, having too many rules etc ... this is what happens when you let those people do what they want. Don't get me wrong, I have a few issues with NPs but the system keeps these places worth coming back to.

The older I get the more I hate humanity.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

This is why we need to bring back capital punishment.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Verman posted:

The older I get the more I hate humanity.
I'm older than thirteen!*

Please send your warm feelings of love to the trees and the mountains. Say hello as you pass. Rain makes happy mountains, but it's always nice to help. But no aggressive hugging since that's bad touch and possibly destructive.

(Yes I probably say "hello happy tree" or "hello fuzzy tree" --- PNW moss, you know --- at least once or twice each hike. When I leave the national forest I wave and thank it for a nice day. Yeah I'm sane, go figure.)

* Hence qualified to post and a stark hater of people.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I went hiking in El Yunque National Rainforest, Puerto Rico and it was cool.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Does anyone know of any hiking/backpacking/mountaineering podcasts or discussions to stream?

I'll try to be a little more specific though I'm not picky. I imagine there's something like old school mountaineers coming on and reminiscing about past trips, or current hikers chilling and chatting about the latest gear and their recent trips.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Rolo posted:

I went hiking in El Yunque National Rainforest, Puerto Rico and it was cool.

Looks like a beautiful place, great pictures!

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Does anyone know of any hiking/backpacking/mountaineering podcasts or discussions to stream?

I'll try to be a little more specific though I'm not picky. I imagine there's something like old school mountaineers coming on and reminiscing about past trips, or current hikers chilling and chatting about the latest gear and their recent trips.

This might not be exactly what you're looking for since it's YouTube, but I've been watching Dixie's triple-crown thru-hiking series, and this Darwin guy also seems to have solid gear reviews. I would definitely also be interested in more story-focused stuff if anyone has some of those!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My wife swears by The Dirtbag Diaries. I haven’t listen to it (I stopped my podcast addiction about 3 years ago), but she loves it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nate fisher posted:

My wife swears by The Dirtbag Diaries. I haven’t listen to it (I stopped my podcast addiction about 3 years ago), but she loves it.

My recommendation too. It’s basically This American Life for outdoors types. Huge variety of content and lengths too.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

The Firn Line is a great podcast where a dude interviews mountaineers, mostly guys who climb in Alaska, and mostly oldtimers. Some of the episodes aren't great if the guests aren't good storytellers, but some are fantastic. My favorite was the one with Roman Dial, who used to be one of the big early Alaskan ice climbers but then started a family and switched to long distance hikes, bikes, and packrafting through the Alaskan wilderness. http://thefirnline.com/episodes/episode-21-the-firn-line-live-roman-dial/ It's a great listen, some of his other early ones are fantastic as well. I'd started with the Dial ep and then go back to the beginning and start from Ep 1.

Enormocast mostly interviews rock climbers but they do some mountaineers as well, both new school and old. Stuff like the Jack Tackle episode are incredible. You'll have to skip most of them if you aren't into rock climbing though. https://enormocast.com/

Also the American Alpine Journal's new Cutting Edge podcast does great update date interviews with people doing super badass alpine climbing right now. https://americanalpineclub.org/cutting-edge-podcast/

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I like and listen to:

Backpacking Light Podcast
Backpacker Radio by The Trek
The Trail Show
Cascade Hiker Podcast

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Thanks everyone. I listened to Dirtbag Diaries "2019 Resolution" program and it's the kind of thing I had in mind. Will check out the others too. Need intermittent breaks from listening to the news.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I am trying to find an app that will ask me simple questions about a plant I'm looking at (shape of leaves, flowering y/n, region, etc.) and help me determine its taxonomy. Something roughly equivalent to the Merlin Bird ID app. So far all I've been finding are apps where you take a picture and some nebulous group maybe eventually gets back to you about what it is - not very useful on a hike. Has anyone found something like this, ideally for Android?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Chard posted:

I am trying to find an app that will ask me simple questions about a plant I'm looking at (shape of leaves, flowering y/n, region, etc.) and help me determine its taxonomy. Something roughly equivalent to the Merlin Bird ID app. So far all I've been finding are apps where you take a picture and some nebulous group maybe eventually gets back to you about what it is - not very useful on a hike. Has anyone found something like this, ideally for Android?

iNaturalist might be closer to what you're searching for. It doesn't really ask you questions, but you can narrow down the list of flora/fauna in each location by color, type, etc and usually find whatever it is you're looking at.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

fknlo posted:

https://twitter.com/johnupton/status/1083387896403505153

Hope you guys are ready for all the national parks to be hosed up because shutting them down during the last shutdown was a "political stunt".

To play the devil's advocate here, this poo poo happens even when the parks are fully staffed and a national parks advocacy organization is probably going to exaggerate the impact of a polarized government shutdown; just like everyone else involved. People are animals, but even a full park staff can only keep them in line at the developed areas. I also think the lack of other visitors is contributing. If you are the only person at the park, the tendency of people doing what they shouldn't goes up due to a lack of self-policing; e.g. people don't vandalize things when there are other people around.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don’t know, it sounds like you’re agreeing with the fact that the shutdown is causing harm to the parks due to them being unstaffed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cheesemaster200 posted:

To play the devil's advocate here...

Cool, just what we need here in TYOOL2019.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Cheesemaster200 posted:

To play the devil's advocate here, this poo poo happens even when the parks are fully staffed and a national parks advocacy organization is probably going to exaggerate the impact of a polarized government shutdown; just like everyone else involved. People are animals, but even a full park staff can only keep them in line at the developed areas. I also think the lack of other visitors is contributing. If you are the only person at the park, the tendency of people doing what they shouldn't goes up due to a lack of self-policing; e.g. people don't vandalize things when there are other people around.

To go along with your anecdote, I've never seen a Joshua tree cut down like this while the parks have been staffed.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I've hiked and camped in National Parks all over the world.

Never abroad have I seen (even in NPs with one ranger total in a one-room visitor's center) spray painted ancient rocks, toppled ancient free-standing miracle boulders, and chopped down endangered joshua trees like I see in the US. Purposefully disrespecting delicate natural formations and ecosystems is not a universal human compulsion in the absence of authority as you say. Right now it seems to be a uniquely American zeitgeist.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

God Hole posted:

toppled ancient free-standing miracle boulders

Right now it seems to be a uniquely American zeitgeist.

If only...

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Yeah... I've definitely seen vandalism in climbing areas internationally. It is absolutely not just an American thing. I would actually say that the US has some of the best national parks in the world to be honest.

That is not to say that other countries don't have amazing beautiful parks, just that the formal US park system is pretty excellent.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

God Hole posted:

I've hiked and camped in National Parks all over the world.

Never abroad have I seen (even in NPs with one ranger total in a one-room visitor's center) spray painted ancient rocks, toppled ancient free-standing miracle boulders, and chopped down endangered joshua trees like I see in the US. Purposefully disrespecting delicate natural formations and ecosystems is not a universal human compulsion in the absence of authority as you say. Right now it seems to be a uniquely American zeitgeist.

Are you referring to Americans as a people or American parks? Regardless I would disagree with you on both areas.

I think Americans as a whole are very conscious and protective of their national parks, which is why this instance is getting so much news coverage. Someone in a nation of 330 million chops down a tree and it gets national headline news coverage. That isn't indicative of a culture of purposefully disrespecting their natural natural treasures. I also think Americans are more mindful then most of the world regarding waste and trash management. Does bad stuff happen? Absolutely. But if you compare it to the visitation numbers to each of these places and I am surprised that more of it doesn't happen.

I am just finishing up a three week trip through Indonesia. Parks here are covered in trash and heavily commercialized. Few people hike or camp in parks, and most people go on organized jeep, boat or motor tours that stop at scenic places; all with gimmick selfy setups for a fee. Parks here revolve more around instagram and commercialization rather than protection. It reminds me of places like Gatlinburg if they were allowed to build it inside of SMNP rather than outside the gate. There are larger parks in more remote areas, but only because someone hasn't figured out a market for exploiting it yet. Hopefully the Indonesian view towards conservation changes some before than happens. This is a similar situation to many parks I see in Asia.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 27, 2019

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone have any recommendations on Isle of Skye, or that area of Scotland? Looking for something a bit out of the way, if possible.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

Yooper posted:

Anyone have any recommendations on Isle of Skye, or that area of Scotland? Looking for something a bit out of the way, if possible.

The Quiraing and Old Man of Storr are very popular hikes but they are honestly great. Just do them first thing in the morning before the crowds arrive. I also liked Oronsay Island, which I had all to myself for hours. There's nothing really out of the way on Skye, you can drive all the way around it in a day.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Oakland Martini posted:

The Quiraing and Old Man of Storr are very popular hikes but they are honestly great. Just do them first thing in the morning before the crowds arrive. I also liked Oronsay Island, which I had all to myself for hours. There's nothing really out of the way on Skye, you can drive all the way around it in a day.

Awesome thanks. Enough stuff to do for a small family to spend a week? We're exploring a few different places, Alaska, Minnesota, or Scotland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

Yooper posted:

Awesome thanks. Enough stuff to do for a small family to spend a week? We're exploring a few different places, Alaska, Minnesota, or Scotland.

Probably. I was there for two days but I really push myself to do a lot on vacations. Cairngorms National Park is not far from there either. It's on the drive up from Edinburgh and looks really nice although I didn't stop there.