Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Is it ok to take a day off? Many of us have an addiction to being on the mat and learning, but like today I could have gone in but just didn't. Im actually ahead for the week and trained a little bit during the holiday.

I feel like a cheat day is ok every once and a while(?)

No.

If you're hurt, or feel like you'll get hurt, then skip. If you're mentally burnt out and need a change, then skip.

But there has never been a time where I could have gone, and didn't, and felt like it was a good move. I skip a ton, and hate myself every time I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I’ve been stopping at Marcelo’s lately and I like having warm ups like that as opposed to my home gym where it’s “guys do takedowns on your own for two minutes then technique/drill time”. 🤷‍♂️

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
We have three kinds of warm ups. The ones I like the best are based around moves from Jiu Jitsu, like making circuits of the mat doing various rolls, shrimps, walks, sit outs, etc. I legit have fun doing those with everyone, if I had mats in my house I'd do them every morning after yoga. The second type is a warm up I'm fine with; it's when our head coach disinterestedly says "30 20 10 guys" and we all do some jumping jacks, squats, and pushups; it's a boring but functional warm up and I do need to get warmed up before I roll. But then the third type of warmup, which I like least, is some variation of ab and lunge super sets. Those are usually the idea of the fundamentals coach and its like, poo poo man I can understand wanting to make sure your students get exercise but 1) I already made time in my life to go to a normal gym and 2) if you make me too tired I'm distracted for the first five minutes of the subsequent lesson.

The trick to number three was just learning to half-rear end it, which felt wrong at first but once I realized it wasn't the same thing as half-assing my actual jiu-jistu training I haven't regretted it at all.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Warm up is usually the same thing at sambo -- jogging, then side to side, crossing feet, high knees, heel to butt, etc. Then we line up and do somersaults into jumps, front rolls, back rolls, front rolls into back rolls, and usually something funky like cartwheels, jumping side falls, handstands into rolls, stuff like that. Then sit-outs, sit-outs into front roll, then shrimping, then shrimping into back roll. It's a pretty extensive warmup but it's really good for helping people develop their fundamental falling and rolling movements. For the wrestling classes there are more wrestling-specific warmups involving shots and sprawls, bear crawls, duck walks, etc.

There have been way too many BJJ blue+ belts I've seen come to the club and get hurt because they suck at falling (usually from posting their hand), and some kind of falling or rolling should be a part of every grappling warmup imo.

I have zero qualms about taking it easy or sitting out part of a warmup if I'm not feeling it or if it's not a good movement for my broken-rear end body. I have enough experience and know my body well enough to decide if something isn't beneficial, and if I do squats or jumping jacks instead for that round the coaches don't give me a hard time.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 5, 2019

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't know how you guys do it, but the instructor usually picks the highest ranked person there that day to do warm ups

That's basically how it's done at my gym, just depends on who is teaching that day. Some will delegate it to a lower belt others will lead the whole thing.

I'm completely fine with functional movements and the beginners definitely need to practice the fundamentals like shrimping and break falls and technical standups. I just don't want to sprint up and down the mat and do jump squats or bear crawls or inch worms but I'd much rather warm up shooting 20 arm bars from guard or 20 triangles or whatever.

We had a purple belt teaching our no gi class tonight and we were practicing a move from turtle and he literally said "I do this because I don't like to take the back" and I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough. Needless to say I half assed our drills.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Anyone here ever develop a hernia from grappling? How long did you take off after surgery. I’ve just had mine repaired and I’m worried it will be several months before I can roll.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Anyone here ever develop a hernia from grappling? How long did you take off after surgery. I’ve just had mine repaired and I’m worried it will be several months before I can roll.

Sounds like a good thing to ask your doctor about and not randos on the internet

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Our warmups are typically about 3-4 minutes of jogging, then some tumbling (breakfalls, shrimps, etc), a stretch, and then whoever is leading will choose something to top it off. Lots of people do pummelling. I often run a few rounds of partner ab exercises that double as guard recovery/hip mobility drills.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Your Jiu Jitsu inspiration of the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3GTH93T5FU

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
I'm a white belt and have been training for about 2 years or so. My gym has white belt classes where we drill a technique for the first half, then roll for the second. We start from closed guard about 90% of the time, but sometimes if we are doing a specific technique, we switch it up and start from some other guard or basic position. I can pretty much submit or at least give any other experienced white belt a hard time at this point.

My issue is, when I go to an all-levels class and I get paired up with an experienced blue belt or above, I have a really hard time. The first thing I have a real problem with, is when we roll, we don't start in any of the basic positions, but usually just sitting facing each other. I have no idea what to do, or even how to sit. I notice a lot of guys sort of just sit on their butt with their legs bent in. I've tried that and other positions, but I feel so lost. What usually happens is if I have a good blue belt or above, they pull me in to butterfly and just kinda flip me over. That, or I force myself kinda on top of them, then they get the butterfly hook in and it's the same thing all over. I try to posture up and sometimes it works and I can fight it off, but it usually doesn't. Are there any specific techniques or like, starting sitting positions I should be doing to try and avoid this? Or at least, things I should be doing when starting in this position so I can put up some sort of fight? I'm not really familiar with butterfly so I don't think I'll be doing that effectively. The only thing I can think of doing is hand fighting and getting good grip on their leg and trying to pass to get into side control. Maybe that will come with practice?

The other issue I have is when I'm in the guard of someone who is good, I also get owned. Like, I'll try and break their guard and control their hips, but for some reason I just can't. I'm constantly being pulled, my posture broken, etc. This doesn't happen when I'm rolling with a white belt and I try and do the techniques I've learned to break guard and have a good base, but I have such a hard time. The times when I have actually broken a guard, the knee shield goes up and that is something I have a real issue with passing as well.

I guess this is more of me just venting as I'm sure this is part of learning, but it's getting pretty frustrating. I feel like I'm at this point where I'm too good for the white belts at my gym but not good enough to roll with the blue or above.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I kinda hate the structure of your class.

That being said, there's TONS of resources for you to figure out if you want to start seated, in combat base, standing, etc. the only way you're going to get better is by getting beat up by people better than you and then learning from that. If you're constantly stuck in a position as your partner to show you a technique to help you get unstuck.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001

JaySB posted:

I kinda hate the structure of your class.

That being said, there's TONS of resources for you to figure out if you want to start seated, in combat base, standing, etc. the only way you're going to get better is by getting beat up by people better than you and then learning from that. If you're constantly stuck in a position as your partner to show you a technique to help you get unstuck.

Yeah I'm watching some videos now on starting on your knees. Still doesn't help the frustration feeling, but I know that's part of learning.

What don't you like about the structure of my classes? That we mainly start in guard? I feel like it makes sense for newer people.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

sausage king of Chicago posted:

Yeah I'm watching some videos now on starting on your knees. Still doesn't help the frustration feeling, but I know that's part of learning.

What don't you like about the structure of my classes? That we mainly start in guard? I feel like it makes sense for newer people.

You'll get less frustrated as you learn the positions and how to react and spend time in them. That's why I hate starting in closed guard 90% of the time. You're 2 years into jiu jitsu and have no idea what to do starting outside that position.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I'm a white belt and have been training for about 2 years or so. My gym has white belt classes where we drill a technique for the first half, then roll for the second. We start from closed guard about 90% of the time, but sometimes if we are doing a specific technique, we switch it up and start from some other guard or basic position. I can pretty much submit or at least give any other experienced white belt a hard time at this point.

My issue is, when I go to an all-levels class and I get paired up with an experienced blue belt or above, I have a really hard time. The first thing I have a real problem with, is when we roll, we don't start in any of the basic positions, but usually just sitting facing each other. I have no idea what to do, or even how to sit. I notice a lot of guys sort of just sit on their butt with their legs bent in. I've tried that and other positions, but I feel so lost. What usually happens is if I have a good blue belt or above, they pull me in to butterfly and just kinda flip me over. That, or I force myself kinda on top of them, then they get the butterfly hook in and it's the same thing all over. I try to posture up and sometimes it works and I can fight it off, but it usually doesn't. Are there any specific techniques or like, starting sitting positions I should be doing to try and avoid this? Or at least, things I should be doing when starting in this position so I can put up some sort of fight? I'm not really familiar with butterfly so I don't think I'll be doing that effectively. The only thing I can think of doing is hand fighting and getting good grip on their leg and trying to pass to get into side control. Maybe that will come with practice?

The other issue I have is when I'm in the guard of someone who is good, I also get owned. Like, I'll try and break their guard and control their hips, but for some reason I just can't. I'm constantly being pulled, my posture broken, etc. This doesn't happen when I'm rolling with a white belt and I try and do the techniques I've learned to break guard and have a good base, but I have such a hard time. The times when I have actually broken a guard, the knee shield goes up and that is something I have a real issue with passing as well.

I guess this is more of me just venting as I'm sure this is part of learning, but it's getting pretty frustrating. I feel like I'm at this point where I'm too good for the white belts at my gym but not good enough to roll with the blue or above.

Do you get active coaching while sparring? I feel that can really be lacking at larger gyms especially, and it's invaluable.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001

JaySB posted:

You'll get less frustrated as you learn the positions and how to react and spend time in them. That's why I hate starting in closed guard 90% of the time. You're 2 years into jiu jitsu and have no idea what to do starting outside that position.

Well, mainly just sitting. I feel comfortable in half guard, side control, etc. But yeah, i get your point.

And no, we don't usually get active coaching when sparring during the all-levels class. There are a lot of people, so it would be kinda hard for our teacher to get to everyone. Everyone in my gym is pretty nice though and if I'm rolling with a higher belt they are fine with giving pointers.

I'm the problem, it's not my gym. I just kinda hit a wall and need to get over it.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Going through a plateau sucks, sometimes it's helpful to switch up what you're focusing on if you feel like you keep hitting a wall. I just like to start from a position I know I'm lovely at if I don't have any specific training game plan at the moment. Also rolling with blues and early purples can be the hardest just because that's when a lot of people are really starting to focus on nailing down their offensive game so they're less likely to give you any kind of leeway.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

You should talk to someone at your gym that's good at butterfly for some strategy tips too.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Sent you a PM.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I'm a white belt and have been training for about 2 years or so.

How frequently have you trained? 2x a week? I bet you if you can show up 4x a week or more you will see a lot of improvement more consistently.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

When you roll with higher belts, do you ever talk to them after the roll? If you notice that they caught you in the same position several times in a row, you can ask them how they did that.

Do you ever go to an open mat? You can always drill certain things like passes then.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Collapsing gym update: business is closed until further notice since the remaining staff and students are receiving death threats for continuing to attend. Police are thoroughly involved

This is the dumbest and most brazilian poo poo

I’ll post a more detailed summary of events tomorrow

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 7, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Well that escalated

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Collapsing gym update: business is closed until further notice since the remaining staff and students are receiving death threats for continuing to attend. Police are thoroughly involved

This is the dumbest and most brazilian poo poo

I’ll post a more detailed summary of events tomorrow

Is that the new gym where the teacher you like left to go to, or the old gym?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

My favourite teacher taught at both gyms simultaneously (mornings at one, nights at the other). The new gym, while collapsing, started teaching mornings and lunches out of my old gym’s space as a kind of stop-gap solution. So it’s both my gyms, really.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sounds like this needs to be resolved by a kumite

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yuns and the hire level folks who I can't remember off the top of my head, what are your thoughts on training diaries?

Reason I ask is I've been using one to help me figure out things to do in our classes post warmup pre training 5 minute review time and also to sort of give me a focus for sparring rather than just "don't die." Just curious if its a useful thing in your experience or if you use them at all or even if you think they're dumb and why as a few of the BJJ YouTube folks I've been following (Chewjitsu, Coach Tom at Grappling Academy, etc.) have all made videos on it which sparked me to try it out.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Yuns and the hire level folks who I can't remember off the top of my head, what are your thoughts on training diaries?

Reason I ask is I've been using one to help me figure out things to do in our classes post warmup pre training 5 minute review time and also to sort of give me a focus for sparring rather than just "don't die." Just curious if its a useful thing in your experience or if you use them at all or even if you think they're dumb and why as a few of the BJJ YouTube folks I've been following (Chewjitsu, Coach Tom at Grappling Academy, etc.) have all made videos on it which sparked me to try it out.

My coach advocates for it. I don't use one, but I'm dumb and old.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 10, 2022

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mekchu posted:

I'm not good, but I do keep a journal and I find it handy.

I'm very poor at remembering what to do when I'm rolling. But it does help refresh my memory on techniques. I'll write down roughly what we drilled in the day, and I'll make special notes of things I found especially useful, was good at, or think I'd want to know more about later. I also track my progress in rolls, including names. The names part is probably the most helpful as I train at several different spots so maybe see someone months apart.

e: actually, now that I think about it, the journal serves as motivation to keep training. The weight of past classes, on paper, prods me into continuing. I went back and counted the other day and saw I had been training on average 3 days a week since August. I'd thought it had been more, but I've been missing a lot of days lately. If I had no journal, I'd be able to continue to ignore this fact.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 7, 2019

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mekchu posted:

My buddy was at Lovato's and said he made it mandatory. So I tried it for a bit because hey Lovato is really good and his gym is really competitive.

After a month, I never really found it valuable so I stopped*

* What I do find valuable is:

1) thinking through my game every so often and sometimes using paper to help with that.

2) keeping a list of what I'm working on and keeping it tight - like one pass, one guard and one submission with only 1 or 2 options in each.

so I'm looking to do only like 6 things. If I want to add something then I bump something else off the list. I wish I had started this years ago as I feel it makes a big difference.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Okay so, the story with my gym, with more detail as I now understand it better. I'll be a little vague on a few points.

Owner: Retired military guy, from a special forces kind of branch. He was very polite whenever I interacted with him but apparently he has severe PTSD from seeing Some poo poo and has the potential to snap.
Head coach: Brazilian guy, very nice, excellent coach. His wife runs the desk while he teaches. My favourite coach is one of this guy's black belts. He and the owner were, until recently, close friends in addition to business partners.

The gym has been active and thriving for maybe ten years. The owner has been absent for about the last five because he's been embroiled in a legal battle with the military, which he recently won. The head coach tried to buy the gym from the owner which triggered all of this. The owner (who had originally imported the head coach from Brazil) got suspicious about the amount of money the head coach had put together, and found some accounting irregularities. He hired an independent accounting-or-whatever firm to investigate, and put the head coach and his wife on administrative leave until the matter was resolved. Students went apeshit pretty quickly, not knowing the full story, started making dramatic gestures on social media and chain-cancelling their memberships. At this point the head coach made a vague social media post thanking people for their support and stuff, and then went quiet, because he was in a precarious legal position.

His black belts, who are loyal to a fault to the head coach, took up increased responsibilities to try and keep the gym running while the matter was resolved, obviously with the caveat that if the head coach was fired they might rethink their positions and leave to join him. But they also knew more about the situation than the students, and they knew how much legal trouble the head coach was in. They all think it was mostly the wife. Anyway.

The students started throwing around words like 'loyalty' and 'treachery' and stuff a lot on the internet. A rift develops between a bunch of blue belt idiots who think that they are demonstrating loyalty to their coach by throwing threats around, and the black belts who are demonstrating actual loyalty by trying to resolve all of this. The students start posting on social media about how all the other teachers are betraying their coach so they can steal his gym, or some such bullshit. Most of these teachers went white-blue-purple-brown-black under the head coach, it's an absurd claim.

There was almost an honest-to-god dojo storm by some of the disgruntled students who had left. Someone with access to a private facebook group tipped off the teachers so a few more came down that night, including an ex-UFC guy. Students were idling in cars down the street with the intention of beating up the owner but ended up pussing out when they saw who they would have to fight. This is all about one week's drama, by the way. The gym shuts down a week early. Things go quiet over the holiday.

Class was supposed to resume yesterday at a new location, but a facebook post goes up saying the gym is being shut down for safety reasons because both coaches and students are receiving death threats for continuing to train there. The owner was already a potentially-unhinged war vet and he's just come victoriously out of a big legal battle, and now he's on a warpath. Any chance of reconciliation is long gone, police are involved. The small number of students who acted like idiots have probably ruined their head coach's legal position and I doubt he'll be able to open another gym. He's a citizen, so at least he can't get deported now. It kind of sucks on all sides.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

That sounds awful. Stay safe.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That sounds really dumb and awful. Sorry that's happened dude.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mekchu posted:

Taking notes and keeping a training diary is very helpful so long as you actually put effort into maintaining it and using it. Tons of guys keep them.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Mekchu posted:

I never had one until Mike Fowler came by and taught at our gym for a week. He was a big proponent of them. He said he mapped out every position and moves from each as well as specific plans for competitions. I started one after that. It helps to be more conscious about training. Practice doesn't make you better. Deliberate, conscious practice does and the journal is a mechanism to accomplish that. I'm sure people with better focus can accomplish the same thing without the notes, but it helps me.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

FreakyMetalKid posted:

I never had one until Mike Fowler came by and taught at our gym for a week. He was a big proponent of them. He said he mapped out every position and moves from each as well as specific plans for competitions. I started one after that. It helps to be more conscious about training. Practice doesn't make you better. Deliberate, conscious practice does and the journal is a mechanism to accomplish that. I'm sure people with better focus can accomplish the same thing without the notes, but it helps me.

"Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect."

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 10, 2022

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So my next question is: how do you use the journal effectively?

I use it to track what moves I want to drill individually but is that a good use of it? Should I be doing more than that? etc.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 8, 2019

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mekchu posted:

I use it to track what moves I want to drill individually but is that a good use of it? Should I be doing more than that? etc.

Track some other metrics. I use one for weightlifting, it's probably similar.

For example: track your weight and how long you spent training.

Just try to identify patterns so you know if you need to do more/less of something (and so you can see if improvements are actually happening).

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Crazy people doing crazy things....

Dang, I have been having some mild BJJ drama, even thought of posting about it here but holyshit! Perspective and all that, things are going pretty ok for me.

Good luck making the best of a bad (understatement) situation.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mekchu posted:

My best guess would be to track your drills, map out paths of attack and escape, tracking rolls to see where you got caught, what you did well, etc and find improvements from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Speaking of gym drama, my instructor just posted on all his accounts a fairly long winded speech about loyalty and how people who constantly switch teams aren't worth your time. I have no idea who he's talking about.

Coincidentally he's also offering a promotion now, training for life for $5k.