Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Jiren became cool as gently caress when his shirt came off

starting page 965 off with the stone cold truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Jiren enables coolness from the cast, he himself is not cool

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

going to disagree, he's got a good design, visually. Giant swole Grey Alien loving owns. His shirt came off and unleashed his tiny bit of personality which is cool too. In summary, Jiren got good baby

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Jiren sucks the super dragon balls

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
With all this multiverse stuff, there has to be a universe where Piccolo found Frieza before finding Nail and just got instantly murdered again mere minutes after resurrection.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also there has to be a universe where Piccolo turns up at the same time the Frieza and Nail fight starts and they both get the poo poo beat out of them, so they wish for Kami to be transported to Namek and Kami fuzes with both of them and beats Frieza before Goku has time to fully heal

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

bowmore posted:

Also there has to be a universe where Piccolo turns up at the same time the Frieza and Nail fight starts and they both get the poo poo beat out of them, so they wish for Kami to be transported to Namek and Kami fuzes with both of them and beats Frieza before Goku has time to fully heal

re: all this Piccolo/Nail talk, it kind of hinted at Piccolo being stronger because Nail was like "whoa, you're strong." That doesn't make much sense for him to be stronger, since Piccolo just spent a week at Kai's just sitting there, but then he decided he was strong enough to fight someone way more strong than Vegeta, so who knows.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think the power level shown was like 50,000. Which is hilarious in retrospect considering only the Ginyu Force and a Frieza could have fought him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sassassin posted:

When? Nail's power level on the ever-unreliable scouters (Namekian's are shown to manipulate their power levels) is way beyond anything Piccolo shows prior to his resurrection.

Nail is 90% dead when they meet, is that what you're comparing?

He was stronger than Piccolo probably. But he was stated to be inferior to the whole Kami and Piccolo.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That scene would have lost something if Nail and Piccolo sat down to do the power level math. Or gained something depending on the type of fan you are.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

New Leaf posted:

With all this multiverse stuff, there has to be a universe where Piccolo found Frieza before finding Nail and just got instantly murdered again mere minutes after resurrection.

He kinda deserves this. Piccolo immediately wishing to be teleported to Namek to take a swing at Frieza before they've even used the earth's dragon balls is a stupidly bad decision up there with Vegeta letting Cell eat 18, he only gets away with it all because he has the dumb luck to find a rapidly dying Nail to get some level ups out of. By rights he should have turned up and immediately turned into dog food by any of Frieza's forms.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Remind me, Piccolo fused with both Nail and Kamisama is supposed to be as strong as a super saiyan right?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Remind me, Piccolo fused with both Nail and Kamisama is supposed to be as strong as a super saiyan right?

He's stronger. He's as strong as 17, and 18 utterly wrecked a regular SSJ Vegeta of that era (who was more powerful than the original SSJ transformation). You needed their Room of Space and Time upgrades to outdo him.

This is why I kind of believe Piccolo's nonsensical gains, since he gained more than anyone did exponentially by...meditating.

He died, went to Kais for a week, meditated, and thought he was enough of a peer to Namek Goku to be able to help fight Freeza (and inference was that he was in that random Ginyu Force range at that point).

He then trains with Goku and Gohan after merging and Gohan remarks that he's comparable to a SSJ (and he's confident that he's a peer to Vegeta now and can fight some androids just fine on his own).

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Most of Piccolo's training consists of meditation and occasionally screaming at a mountain until it explodes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Darko posted:

He's stronger. He's as strong as 17, and 18 utterly wrecked a regular SSJ Vegeta of that era (who was more powerful than the original SSJ transformation). You needed their Room of Space and Time upgrades to outdo him.

This is why I kind of believe Piccolo's nonsensical gains, since he gained more than anyone did exponentially by...meditating.

He died, went to Kais for a week, meditated, and thought he was enough of a peer to Namek Goku to be able to help fight Freeza (and inference was that he was in that random Ginyu Force range at that point).

He then trains with Goku and Gohan after merging and Gohan remarks that he's comparable to a SSJ (and he's confident that he's a peer to Vegeta now and can fight some androids just fine on his own).

I like the conceit that sure Piccolo will train with your monkey offspring and teach them new mystical techniques but the only way the slug plant man is going to make gainz is by sitting down in peaceful silence and drinking plenty of water

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

multijoe posted:

He kinda deserves this. Piccolo immediately wishing to be teleported to Namek to take a swing at Frieza before they've even used the earth's dragon balls is a stupidly bad decision up there with Vegeta letting Cell eat 18, he only gets away with it all because he has the dumb luck to find a rapidly dying Nail to get some level ups out of. By rights he should have turned up and immediately turned into dog food by any of Frieza's forms.

Piccolo doesn't get enough poo poo for this decision. He almost goddamn died while on Namek and could have ruined his whole plan. I do love how the TFS this is just Krillin jumping the gun and making a spectacularly dumb wish.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Rhonne posted:

Most of Piccolo's training consists of meditation and occasionally screaming at a mountain until it explodes.

Sometimes Piccolo is in the mountain.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Why doesn't Kami-Piccolo just spit out children like Demon King Piccolo? They could fight each other to get stronger and stronger until they can fend off any threat.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

New Leaf posted:

Why doesn't Kami-Piccolo just spit out children like Demon King Piccolo? They could fight each other to get stronger and stronger until they can fend off any threat.

Because he's already a dad :)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

multijoe posted:

Because he's already a dad :)

He should consider giving Gohan a new brother. But then again, maybe Piccolo is greedy and doesn't want to give Pan another Green Uncle.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

can a namekian make baby namekians at will? could one spawn a bunch of kids, fuse with them, and repeat infinitely for unending powerups?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Manatee Cannon posted:

can a namekian make baby namekians at will? could one spawn a bunch of kids, fuse with them, and repeat infinitely for unending powerups?

Maybe they lose some power when they barf out a kid

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe so but fusions are more than the sum of their parts

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

maybe so but fusions are more than the sum of their parts

So continuously spitting out children and fusing with them is Piccolo's way forward..

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Piccolo is Chronos and Cronus.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 4, 2019

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Improbable Lobster posted:

Maybe they lose some power when they barf out a kid

Unlikely, the Original Patriarch birthed all the Nameks who were attacked by Freezer and he was still the stronger (spiritually/magical speaking) Namek around.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If anything Piccolo Jr seemed stronger than Piccolo and the Cell Jrs (who are assumedly Cell's version of that considering the name) were certainly helluva strong.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe the kid should eat the parent then for the bigger boost

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Manatee Cannon posted:

maybe the kid should eat the parent then for the bigger boost

So you finally found a way to get Gohan relevant.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Like Goku wouldn't eat him first if cannibalism was an option.

Saturn Devouring His Son but it's Goku instead.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Dias posted:

Like Goku wouldn't eat him first if cannibalism was an option.

Saturn Devouring His Son but it's Goku instead.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

So you finally found a way to get Gohan relevant.

that just raises further questions

would assimilating goku make you the new protagonist? didn't work for buu but I guess he technically only got halfway there

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Do Tao Pai Pai's cybernetic implants give him infinite energy? How many logs would he have to ride to save the multiverse? Why didn't Cell drink him?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

GT is so monumentally ugly, Jesus gently caress.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nanigans posted:

It's an attempt at copying Toriyama's style from people that clearly did not get Toriyama's style so it always feels off, uncanny, terrifying.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

This looks like one of those turkeys kids draw by tracing their hand

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's an attempt at copying Toriyama's style from people that clearly did not get Toriyama's style so it always feels off, uncanny, terrifying.

It reminds me of all the fan made versions of dbz on youtube that try to be super dark and gritty.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just don't think GT has very good body language/expressions. By and large I think Super is better about this which makes it easier for me to watch when it's looking like rear end. Same goes for DB and DBZ where the body language is often really good even in badly animated episodes.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Part of GTs weird look is the colors used. They redid their whole palette from Z and it has this trend towards yellows and pinks that wasn't a thing before, and hasnt been since, but it feels very early/mid 90s. Which makes sense but dates it in a different sort of way than DB or Z we're

I wonder if this was just a studio limitation like how early Batman TAS was stuck with Tiny Toons colors and had this kind of pastel blue feel due to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nanigans posted:

???

However, there was an animation team in rotation, let's called it "B-Team" that either for lack of experience, skill or budget, always produced the most wonky looking episodes where nearly everyone was off-model and cheaply animated. The screencap in question is an example of it, as is the infamous clip of Vegeta reverting from his SSJ4 form. Thinking about it, nearly any and every clip I've seen used to prove how GT is uglier than sin is from episodes animated by that team.

They're easily recognizable by the way they draw faces, with weirdly proportioned eyes and general lack of detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur3I3LRbmj8

Thankfully, the other animation team was more skilled, delivering consistently well animated episodes and they're the ones handling the more important moments of the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNPrTPCVMIc

Both animation teams worked on Z as well, and I distinctly remember the B-Team handling of bunch of episodes during the Cell saga.