Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Funktor posted:

Can anyone recommend a good cookbook or three for tasty and healthy vegetarian / vegan dishes? Who is the Julia Child of vegans?

Afro vegan. Best drat baked empanadas.

Everyday vegetarian.

VB6 is pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

A UK vegetarian cookbook that I really enjoy cooking from as an occasional vegetarian meal eater is Anna Jones’ A Modern Way to Eat.

http://annajones.co.uk/books/modern-way-eat

Helith fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 1, 2019

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Funktor posted:

Can anyone recommend a good cookbook or three for tasty and healthy vegetarian / vegan dishes? Who is the Julia Child of vegans?
The OP in the vegan thread has lots of recommendations. It really depends what you want though. That thread has no fake poo poo - if you just want a veg cookbook to replace the non-veg cookbook in your life you could get something like the Veganomicon.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.
Is there any sort of paleo thread? If not, would there be interest in one? I cook a lot and eat mostly paleo and would be happy to share some recipes and things with others.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

As far as general vegetarian, I really like Deborah Madison’s Vegetable Literacy and Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. The latter has a pretty broad range of stuff, but also a central section that’s just alphabetical vegetables with a few ideas/recipes for each, plus broad strokes of how to judge ripeness, store them and use them otherwise. I’ve had the book forever, but when I was first getting into cooking it was great to just pick out whatever looked good at the farmer’s market and flip through recipes later for ideas.

A lot of the recipes also have little sidebar notes, either for different seasonings, suggested pairings or for turning a side into something suitable as a main course.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For free vegetarian PDF cookbooks there is https://books.leannebrown.com/from-scratch.pdf which looks reasonable enough (plus has some pretty pictures).

IMO, if you want to get just one make sure it has a decent section on legumes/pulses. They're tasty, nutritious, and tend to have a light environmental impact.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

am I meant to remove fruits and vegetables from their packaging before I put it in my fridge's crisper drawer? I was going to put a sheet of paper towels on the bottom of the draw, then lay all my veg on top of it to let air flow, but I don't know if it's better just leaving them in their plastic wrapping.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

spankmeister posted:

Just get a stainless steel one.

(Sorry for late reply) Are there generally better brands than others (or buzzwords to put in my search terms) or are all stainless pots pretty much the same?

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

I’m having a very hard time finding tomato powder. I’ve looked at local markets, including Whole Foods, and the staff looked at me like I was nuts. Amazon has a couple listings from what appear to be foreign sellers that will take weeks to arrive; $20 for 100g. Is there another source I should check?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
MySpiceSage has it and a bunch of other weird vegetable powders
https://www.myspicesage.com/tomato-powder-p-250.html

I use them in fresh pasta. I haven't tried tomato specifically, but MySpiceSage is a legit company even if they do want to send you a million emails, and it's based in NY I think.

e: while shipping is free, if your order is under $10, there's a $3 "packing" fee iirc

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 2, 2019

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

drat Bananas posted:

(Sorry for late reply) Are there generally better brands than others (or buzzwords to put in my search terms) or are all stainless pots pretty much the same?

All clad is the gold standard, but pricey. Look for a pot that is at least triple ply on the bottom if you don't want to shell out for fully clad. I have a Cuisinart multi clad pro that I've used for 15 years that I quite like.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

mentalcontempt posted:

I’m having a very hard time finding tomato powder. I’ve looked at local markets, including Whole Foods, and the staff looked at me like I was nuts. Amazon has a couple listings from what appear to be foreign sellers that will take weeks to arrive; $20 for 100g. Is there another source I should check?

If you're dumb in a will-work-to-DIY-crap-for-effectively-less-than-minimum-wage like I am, you can make your own! Score the skin of each tomato with a knife around the perimeter, blanch in boiling water, ice bath then peel. Use tomatoes for basically any cooked purpose. Scatter skins on a parchment-lined baking sheet at lowest oven setting for a couple of hours, flipping and testing for "bone dry".

I've done this, seasoned to make a healthy snack, but should work for making powder.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

PatMarshall posted:

All clad is the gold standard, but pricey. Look for a pot that is at least triple ply on the bottom if you don't want to shell out for fully clad. I have a Cuisinart multi clad pro that I've used for 15 years that I quite like.

Thank you! That pointed me toward this one which I think will be nice, and the outer color will help it to match my existing set.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ikea pots are quite serviceable in my experience

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

I want a blender or food processor for cooking and have a tiny kitchen with limited storage. What are quality units I should be shopping?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Blenders and food processors only kind of overlap. I would suggest a Cuisinart DLC-10SY (or other goon approved model) unless you are planning on making all smoothies all the time.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

rump buttman posted:

I want a blender or food processor for cooking and have a tiny kitchen with limited storage. What are quality units I should be shopping?

I have a Cuisinart combo set that's an immersion blender where the blending part comes off and lets you either insert a balloon whisk or snap it onto a food processor and I've been very happy with it. Everything but the food processor part fits in a drawer, and food processor part is smaller than most of my pots.

It would not be appropriate for making blended cocktails, but it'll make hummus, blended soups, and whipped cream with just a swap of attachments.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

rump buttman posted:

As usual I'll play the role of appliance snob: get a Magimix. It's Robot-Coupe's line of consumer-oriented food processors, there's a 30 year warranty on the motor, and it does a better job than any Cuisinart or other brand I've ever used. They're also very expensive and the one store I found refurbs at has since gone out of business, so don't consider it the budget option.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I recently discovered cookie butter cake. Can someone hook me up with a good recipe?

Norfolks Given
Jan 3, 2019

For reasons not interesting I’m stuck in the Failed former EU Member State of the United Kingdom.

This is a problem as I can no longer feed my unhealthy addiction to Johnny Rockets Philly cheese steak sandwich.

I cannot find anywhere that serves anything like it, so question is:

What’s the secret to a good philly steak sub? I.e what type of steak to use, do you fry it with peppers or something idk - anyone with a good recipe plz help thx.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Norfolks Given posted:

For reasons not interesting I’m stuck in the Failed former EU Member State of the United Kingdom.

This is a problem as I can no longer feed my unhealthy addiction to Johnny Rockets Philly cheese steak sandwich.

What’s the secret to a good philly steak sub? I.e what type of steak to use, do you fry it with peppers or something idk - anyone with a good recipe plz help thx.

Steak-ums, canned cheez wiz, grilled onions and peppers.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Norfolks Given posted:

Amoroso roll, thin sliced rib-eye, American cheese slices, with or without onions.

Annath posted:

Steak-ums, canned cheez wiz, grilled onions and peppers.

Good god NO to the Steak Ums. That said, cheeze whiz is the go-to cheese in some parts of Philly.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Norfolks Given posted:

Best success I've had for this at home has been 3 things that I think you can do in the UK. First the meat, take a nice marbled rib eye and freeze it. Then using a mandolin slice it as thin as possible, freeze the blade too if you notice it getting sticky quickly. Second, make you're own American cheese using sodium citrate and a good white cheddar, lots of online recipes for this. Last is probably the trickiest, getting the bread right, try a few bakeries until you find a good one.

Norfolks Given
Jan 3, 2019

Dr. Krieger posted:

Best success I've had for this at home has been 3 things that I think you can do in the UK. First the meat, take a nice marbled rib eye and freeze it. Then using a mandolin slice it as thin as possible, freeze the blade too if you notice it getting sticky quickly. Second, make you're own American cheese using sodium citrate and a good white cheddar, lots of online recipes for this. Last is probably the trickiest, getting the bread right, try a few bakeries until you find a good one.

Thanks. I never thought about freezing it to slice it thinner so that[s a good suggestion.

They used to sell the thin steak Canadians here until it turned out they contained horsemeat and everyone got upset and they stopped selling them. I was kind of surprised everyone was upset because they sold well enough that people clearly enjoyed eating horsemeat.

Will give this a go.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Squashy Nipples posted:

Amoroso roll, thin sliced rib-eye, American cheese slices, with or without onions.

Good god NO to the Steak Ums. That said, cheeze whiz is the go-to cheese in some parts of Philly.

Whiz is saltier and practically guaranteed to get evenly spread throughout the sandwich. The go to if you're not confident in your skills (or of the place your ordering from) other wise the sharpest provolone you can find.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sextro posted:

Whiz is saltier and practically guaranteed to get evenly spread throughout the sandwich. The go to if you're not confident in your skills (or of the place your ordering from) other wise the sharpest provolone you can find.

Agreed, provolone is my favorite cheese steak cheese, too. But probably the least popular in Philly, after American and Whiz. It's hard to beat the perfect melting of processed cheese.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I use American cheese singles in my cheese sauce. I add it to the real cheese (proper Gouda) and the sodium citrate helps melt the other cheese.

That's my American cheese story thanks for reading.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 4, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Thanks for sharing!

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

There's nothing stopping you from doing the sodium citrate thing with some fancy provolone. Best of both worlds there.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Actual Italian provolone from Italy contains sodium citrate?

e: wait you're saying to do that trick but with provolone for cheese steak

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Is there no general "what to buy" thread anymore? I'm looking for recommendations on a kitchen scale

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

big black turnout posted:

Is there no general "what to buy" thread anymore? I'm looking for recommendations on a kitchen scale

Should be the "The Something Offal kitchen equipment thread" https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749739

I believe I asked about scales a few months back, so there may be some discussion back a few pages.

Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=488046809

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 4, 2019

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

KD-8000, no contest, it is the best kitchen scale on the market bar none

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Eeyo posted:

Should be the "The Something Offal kitchen equipment thread" https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749739

I believe I asked about scales a few months back, so there may be some discussion back a few pages.

Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=488046809

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

KD-8000, no contest, it is the best kitchen scale on the market bar none

Thanks! Yeah that looks like what I'm going for.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Wirecutter is also pretty great for that purpose, they also have the KD-8000 as their upgrade pick.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Norfolks Given posted:

Thanks. I never thought about freezing it to slice it thinner so that[s a good suggestion.

Just go about 30 minutes in the freezer though; you don't want to freeze it solid.

https://lifehacker.com/give-meats-a-quick-freeze-for-easier-slicing-512700996

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm trying to get in the habit of buying whole chicken carcasses and cutting it into thigh / breast / drumsticks myself. After a lifetime of buying these things neatly prepackaged, is the chicken meant to look as gross as it does whole? It's always got a bunch of blood in it and just looks very unappealing, and my rookie attempts at quartering it usually leave a somewhat mangled mess. I'll have thoughts in the back of my head where I'm telling myself "no, this doesn't look right, I shouldn't eat this / cook with this" but I ignore that and do it anyway, cause I figured it's just out of my comfort zone or something. Food tastes heaps better though, probably cause I'm cooking bone-in.

Am I just being a squeamish baby? Also, my food hygiene consciousness kicks into overdrive when using an entire chicken carcass, I just become hyper aware of anything it touches and I bleach the countertop after I'm done, but using the neatly prepackaged stuff, I'm generally alright with just washing the chopping board and sleeping easy at night. But I've got a fear that I'll be contaminating my entire kitchen or something with salmonella.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 5, 2019

Hauki
May 11, 2010

you're being a squeamish baby

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Huge baby. You’re cooking for yourself and you’re a healthy 20 something, you’ll be pretty resilient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yes, just being squeamish. If you want to get better at breaking down a chicken, roast them and then break them down. They come apart more easily when cooked, so learning the anatomy that way will help you when breaking it down raw.

You should be cleaning up your workspace afterward, especially if your breaking down involves wrangling, flip-flopping, and other methods that spread chicken juice around. You don't need to use literal bleach, but get a thing of Lysol wipes and read the package.