Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Virtue posted:

Touring Plans just updated their crowd level algo and it indicated huge increases for a bunch of dates in Jan through March.

What’s the first week of February look like now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

They had a blog post about it, stating that a) historically they have underestimated these early months, and b) last year Disney started fewer people in the parks, causing long lines as capacity was reduced

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Len Testa did an interview with someone’s podcast in late spring/early summer about it. He couldn’t figure out why lines were so bad, so he had people standing and counting capacity and realized that staffing had dropped because per hour throughput was crashing hard. It was a really interesting discussion- contemplating labor cuts to increase wait times for money saving because of all construction going on.

For a place making money hand over fist, you still kinda wanna shake the powers the be and get them to stop doing that kind of nonsense.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Anya posted:

Len Testa did an interview with someone’s podcast in late spring/early summer about it. He couldn’t figure out why lines were so bad, so he had people standing and counting capacity and realized that staffing had dropped because per hour throughput was crashing hard. It was a really interesting discussion- contemplating labor cuts to increase wait times for money saving because of all construction going on.

For a place making money hand over fist, you still kinda wanna shake the powers the be and get them to stop doing that kind of nonsense.

It's even worse because when you manufacture longer wait times, people are in line and not spending money. When they're utilizing all the ride capacity and lines are still long, it generally means more total people are in the parks, so those not in line are buying Mickey ears and churros and poo poo.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What do you guys think ended up better; Toy Story Land or Pandora?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

What do you guys think ended up better; Toy Story Land or Pandora?

Pandora hands down. Toy Story Land is a joke.

Also the tailless SDD cars look hilarious.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Theming is a toss-up, both are great but Toy Story is getting a lot more love to make it feel alive thanks to the main characters, the army men, drum show, etc. Pandora looks incredible from the construction standpoint but it’s kind of a mess if you look past that at all.

Ride wise FoP is really cool and unique and the best ride in either land but if I were taking a family or choosing for myself I’d go Toy Story hands down. Midway Mania is still a blast, Saucers are way more fun than I was expecting, and Slink is a great family coaster. I still like River Journey but it doesn’t impress many people.

I just did them back to back Wednesday morning so these thoughts are fresh in my mind.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I certainly don't condone this but this kid posted a video about getting banned from Disney TWICE and arrested, (has videos in Cranium Command, Disney Quest, others) and a few days ago posted a video from inside Walt Disney's Plane, and now just posted a video loving walking Big Thunder at like 3am. I have to appreciate the hustle even if he ends up dead or in jail.

https://youtu.be/R2z9ISkT350

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I understand wonders of life and DisneyQuest but why big thunder.

Also it ended up coming out that BackDoorDisney took and sold Buzzys clothes and that’s why he was arrested.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Pandora is better than TSL, I don't want to write 1000 words about it right now so to sum it up the placemaking is just hands down better in Pandora. There are many cool places to just exist and look around in Pandora, this is not the case in TSL which has the kinetic centerpiece of Slinky Dog right when you come in but just doesn't tie together the way Pandora does. Also Pandora has better rides and better food.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’m kinda biased against TSL when it comes to comparing the two because I know they cut corners from the original plan and it makes me cranky

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Flight of Passage is better than Slinky Coaster, but that’s all Pandora has going for it if you really don’t care about the movie.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Silly Burrito posted:

Flight of Passage is better than Slinky Coaster, but that’s all Pandora has going for it if you really don’t care about the movie.

I agree. It’s cool to see the landscape/flora and “floating” rocks, but once that feeling is over, the area feels lifeless, actually. FoP is amazing, though.

TSL would be cooler solely based on my enjoyment of the source material, but Midway Mania is super fun and the little details everywhere are excellent.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
It’s weird to see people use the same reasoning (“little details everywhere”) to claim that Pandora is better than TSL and also that TSL is better than Pandora.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Silly Burrito posted:

I love the Toy Story movies and can barely remember Avatar. I dont think belovedness of IP matters all that much in whether or not a theme park land is good. Like, Splash Mountain is amazing and who has even seen Song of the South these days? Tron is dumb but that rollercoaster is gonna be amazing.

TSL has cute details but the land is small and sort of sparse. There is no verticality like Pandora, which has multiple levels of paths that you can wander through, plus the queue for FoP that takes you up the mountain for new views, plus the floating mountains themselves. And Pandora has the thick walls of vegetation that hem you in and make you feel like you’re there. TSL is more open feeling with less complex paths. You don’t feel hemmed in by the land, on the contrary it feel big, open, and sort of empty. There is absolutely nowhere to go in TSL where you can just stand and enjoy the placemaking without being surrounded by a massive crowd except maybe the exit of Mania. You can do this in Pandora because they have extra paths that are the long way around and you can wander them mostly crowd free pretty much any time.

I want to like TSL more but really it’s just too small. The big allure for me the times I’ve been has been peeking over the fences into Galaxy’s Edge. That’s even the main attraction on Slinky Dog.

Dren fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 5, 2019

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

I understand wonders of life and DisneyQuest but why big thunder.

Also it ended up coming out that BackDoorDisney took and sold Buzzys clothes and that’s why he was arrested.

yeah do you have a link for this? Even public records somewhere?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

yeah do you have a link for this? Even public records somewhere?

I saw a police report about this recently on twitter saying how they found pictures and correspondence on his phone about the sale of the clothes, they showed it to him, he tried to take his phone and run, then he said he felt ill and was attended to by a doctor. But it being an image on twitter it's basically impossible to search for it so

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s on wdwmagic the affildavid

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
It’s less that TSL is objectively better (it’s probably not as creative as Pandora or as immersive), but it just makes me happy. I’m usually one to poopoo nostalgia for nostalgia’s sake, but TSL hits that balance of “Remember this?” and feeling like you’re in the story.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Ill admit I havent been to TSL

but Pandora has Satuli Canteen... so will always win over all over lands

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Does Pandora have Rex balancing on top of a giant Jenga stack? Yeah I didn't think so :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Does Pandora have Rex balancing on top of a giant Jenga stack? Yeah I didn't think so :colbert:

The entirety of Pandora is an organic Jenga stack.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

My Disney Music is done. I did the four parks, as much source audio as I could. You guys are cool as heck but unfortunately I can't connect everybody to my Plex Server for this since I already have a ton of friends and family using it for movies and such.

I think what I'd prefer to do is if you wanna drop me in a post or PM an email (or if it's cool with mods, not sure on this one, I can just post a share link) I'll add your email to the G-Drive where it's all being hosted and you guys can do what you want with the MP3s. This way you guys can make your own plex servers, internet radio, or just throw them on a storage device. I'll give everybody edit access, but obviously don't delete anything. That way if there's stuff people want to contribute (resorts, stuff I'm missing) we can all collab on it. It's a pretty decent blanket of everything, but mostly stuff I personally wanted plus stuff I've tracked down. There's obviously way more out there that we can find.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 5, 2019

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

No it doesn't have a super lame random t-rex standing on top of some plain blocks doing nothing.

It has a cum flower that squirts you in the face instead, after you get it riled up a bit. And your super edgy teenaged bedroom with all the blacklight bullshit.

E: Tim I'm too much of an rear end in a top hat for anybody to have my email but you're a cool dude.

And hell yes Satuli Canteen. What the gently caress even is Woody's Lunchbox. I've eaten there twice and I don't know what they were thinking. Pizza Planet is goddamn Chuck E Cheese. You can do it Disney. I know you can.

E2: Seriously the fact that we have toy story land and no movie-based pizza planet still blows my mind. It is a space-themed Chuck E Cheese. Does Disney have PTSD (post traumatic sales disorder~) over disneyquest or some poo poo?

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 5, 2019

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

No it doesn't have a super lame random t-rex standing on top of some plain blocks doing nothing.

It has a cum flower that squirts you in the face instead, after you get it riled up a bit. And your super edgy teenaged bedroom with all the blacklight bullshit.

E: Tim I'm too much of an rear end in a top hat for anybody to have my email but you're a cool dude.

And hell yes Satuli Canteen. What the gently caress even is Woody's Lunchbox. I've eaten there twice and I don't know what they were thinking. Pizza Planet is goddamn Chuck E Cheese. You can do it Disney. I know you can.

E2: Seriously the fact that we have toy story land and no movie-based pizza planet still blows my mind. It is a space-themed Chuck E Cheese. Does Disney have PTSD (post traumatic sales disorder~) over disneyquest or some poo poo?

Didn’t they have Pizza Planet already and shut it down?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Silly Burrito posted:

It's currently Pizzerizzo. I believe the pizza itself is identical.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

It served “pizza” but was otherwise nothing like pizza planet in the movie

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Can someone explain to me how the MaxPass works at Disneyland? The site doesn’t explain it very well, but it sounds like it includes a WDW-like fastpass experience (as opposed to Disneyland’s old school paper faspasses) as well as photo-pass for $10 per person per day. Is that right? How does the FastPass and PhotoPass stuff work there without Magic Bands?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

OldSenileGuy posted:

Can someone explain to me how the MaxPass works at Disneyland? The site doesn’t explain it very well, but it sounds like it includes a WDW-like fastpass experience (as opposed to Disneyland’s old school paper faspasses) as well as photo-pass for $10 per person per day. Is that right? How does the FastPass and PhotoPass stuff work there without Magic Bands?

Basically, for ten dollars you can book your fast passes on the app instead of having to go to the physical machines. You can’t do in advance, it’s same day only. So it basically cuts out the running to the kiosk step.

You also get all of your PhotoPass photos for the day. I bought it just for myself for that.

For the photos, they still use PhotoPass cards, or you type the ride id to get those photos.

For your fast passes, they scan your ticket. Even if you still use a paper one, the fast pass is actually on your ticket. The old paper ones are just a reminder now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cais posted:

Basically, for ten dollars you can book your fast passes on the app instead of having to go to the physical machines. You can’t do in advance, it’s same day only. So it basically cuts out the running to the kiosk step.

You also get all of your PhotoPass photos for the day. I bought it just for myself for that.

For the photos, they still use PhotoPass cards, or you type the ride id to get those photos.

For your fast passes, they scan your ticket. Even if you still use a paper one, the fast pass is actually on your ticket. The old paper ones are just a reminder now.

Also, the app can detect if you're at the park (I can't recall if it's GPS or your ticket being scanned) and won't let you schedule MaxPasses unless you're physically present. I found this out when I tried to get some while still at Disneyland Hotel.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, the app can detect if you're at the park (I can't recall if it's GPS or your ticket being scanned) and won't let you schedule MaxPasses unless you're physically present. I found this out when I tried to get some while still at Disneyland Hotel.

isn't there some loophole like the monorail is considered in the park so if you go to the monorail station at the hotel you can book them

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dren posted:

isn't there some loophole like the monorail is considered in the park so if you go to the monorail station at the hotel you can book them

I didn't try it, but the monorail station is now in Downtown Disney so you actually need to leave the hotel and go through security to reach it. By that point you're likely a 5-10 minute walk from the park entrances anyway.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So me and the g/f are hitting all the Disney parks in two weeks. We have these armband passes that get us into all the main parks. It's our first time on a trip together so I wanna be the good b/f and make it nice and romantic.

We have reservations for Be Our Guest, anyone have any menu tips/reccomendations?

Also any other tips and tricks for this specific situation (romantic vacation) are appreciated.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

So me and the g/f are hitting all the Disney parks in two weeks. We have these armband passes that get us into all the main parks. It's our first time on a trip together so I wanna be the good b/f and make it nice and romantic.

We have reservations for Be Our Guest, anyone have any menu tips/reccomendations?

Also any other tips and tricks for this specific situation (romantic vacation) are appreciated.

Lunch or dinner at BoG?

If you’re celebrating anything (birthday, anniversary, something else) you can get pins/buttons for free from your hotel or in the parks to wear so cast members know you’re celebrating something. Most will say congrats/happy birthday, but you might also get some free stuff out of it. Last year for our honeymoon, my wife and I got free t-shirts and ride photo with frame on splash mountain because of this. A lot of restaurants will also give free dessert.

As far as romantic gestures, you can order in-room surprises through Disney. Or if you have time (and an extra $290 plus tip), get a couples massage at Senses. If you go the massage route, I highly advise anyone to get massages on your last day. It is the BEST way to recover from a few tiring days walking around the parks.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Nottherealaborn posted:

Lunch or dinner at BoG?

If you’re celebrating anything (birthday, anniversary, something else) you can get pins/buttons for free from your hotel or in the parks to wear so cast members know you’re celebrating something. Most will say congrats/happy birthday, but you might also get some free stuff out of it. Last year for our honeymoon, my wife and I got free t-shirts and ride photo with frame on splash mountain because of this. A lot of restaurants will also give free dessert.

As far as romantic gestures, you can order in-room surprises through Disney. Or if you have time (and an extra $290 plus tip), get a couples massage at Senses. If you go the massage route, I highly advise anyone to get massages on your last day. It is the BEST way to recover from a few tiring days walking around the parks.

We're doing dinner at BOG. No special occasion though.

Lloyddy
Sep 27, 2000

OldTennisCourt posted:

San Angel Inn in the Epcot Mexico pavillion is an atmospheric romantic spot, it's in perpetual twilight and overlooks a cool Mayan ruins scene. Ask for a table by the water, might be a longer wait but worth it. Better going for lunch which is usually quieter than dinner. The food is fine, better than it used to be, but the atmosphere really sells it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

A bunch of DVC changes in the pipeline. I know there's only a couple of us here, but it's interesting what they're doing.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I really like Fantasyland at night. If they have the photo op with the Tangled Lantern that one is really cool, but not sure if it's an all the time thing or not. I'm not sure how romantic you can make 5 to 10 miles of walking a day and crowds of crappy people, but you should be able to have fun. I'd try to get photo ops with characters she likes. Photos are something you can go back and look at forever.

Grab a desert at Amorette's in Disney Springs, they have some amazing stuff.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 7, 2019

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Slammed the gently caress out of the purchase button for that new Valentines day "I lava you" magic band.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

couldcareless posted:

Slammed the gently caress out of the purchase button for that new Valentines day "I lava you" magic band.

If it didn’t have a pink top, I would like it a lot more tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

I’ve been lurking this thread for a few months in advance of surprising my kids (ages 6 and 3) with a trip to WDW as a Christmas gift. We just got back - went the 2d through today the 7th. The kids had a blast, and we are all exhausted now. My wife and I hadn’t been there since we were kids (before animal kingdom existed). In short - it was super crowded every day (best day was yesterday, I assume because folks who came for the New Years week were traveling instead of at the park), and I think we will avoid winter break if (“if”, hah, both kids were asking to come back ASAP on the magical express on the way to airport) we come back in the future.

Anyway, thanks to the thread - despite only lurking I felt way more prepared than had I gone down there cold.

Highlights for my 6 year old son - seeing stitch at the Ohana character breakfast and every non slow ride he went on (loved them all). For my 3 year old daughter - seeing Minnie and Daisy, and watching the show in front of the castle at magic kingdom. Highlights for my wife and I - the lion king show at animal kingdom (seriously amazing), and day drinking around the world Showcase at Epcot.

Oh, also, the phineas and ferb scavenger hunt thing at Epcot and the Sorcerer’s thing at magic kingdom (with the cards) captivated my 6 year old just as much as any ride and we’re great in helping keep him occupied at Epcot and Mk. Highly recommended.