Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Ya they're high risk, high reward. As a tribal start I really liked being able to grab things way out of my tech level by cleverly destroying power cables, claiming and moving the turrets, and then exploring and loading while the raids are bashing against my new turret line.

Then flee with your loot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Pharnakes posted:

Did he still explode when he died?

Paco never died. I left him behind after I left the planet, but his spirit lives on in my heart.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
My first game I had a pawn, Linda I think it was, who just owned at everything. Great crafter, never threw tantrums, fought well, basically was MVP of the pawns. By the ship point of the game I was ready to be done so I made one cryptocasket, stuck her in it and peaced out with Linda only.

Vengarr posted:

I’m the 1%. That event is from the Real Ruins mod, and what it does is straight-up import another players’ abandoned base into your game. Which is why the value and difficulty can deviate so much. Quickly assess the base, grab whatever you can and get out.

Alternatively, if you wipe out all enemies on the map you can use the Reform Caravan screen to quickly load all the loot onto your donkeys and bail before another raid shows up. Kiting enemies into still-functioning turrets works well. Downside is that loot in the Fog of War doesn’t show up on the Caravan screen, you need to reveal it first. Which means exploring the base, which gives time for more raiders to show up.

Last note on loot: Silver and other small, precious items like Advanced Components or Bionics are obvious high-priority targets, but I also like to grab advanced workbenches if possible. Particularly ones from mods that tend to be really expensive, like the AI Manager or the various EPOE benches.
Ok well I didn't recall adding the mod but probably read it here and did so. Makes sense.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I forget which wh40k mod adds the hellgun but its amazing to have 5 combat competent pawns kitted out with decent hellguns and karskin gear to handle just about any siege or world map event.

Raids, sieges and infestations just go down in a flurry of las shots. Its glorious.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Reinstalling this after a few years away. Are there any must-have mods? I remember last time I played there was some interface mod that made it much easier to select pawns (maybe it added little icons for them along the screen or something)? Would like to at least start with a mostly-vanilla experience so really only looking for "this should be in the base game" level stuff.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

There's some super duper good QOL mods though, because the vanilla game has some pants on head retarded poo poo in it.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761421485 Allow Tool, about 50 valuable extensions to the UI behavior without actually changing game balance at all, if I had to pick just one mod I was allowed to play with it'd be this one
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1539025677 Cut Plants Before Building
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1231617602 Just Ignore Me (allows construction of things like doors without stopping when someone steps through the tile)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=858744731 Reverse Commands (right click context menu extensions, great for things like rescuing downed pawns)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1539028008 Where Is My Weapon? (pawns that drop their weapon will automatically go re-equip it when able - you don't realize just how annoying this is to do without until you try it)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1541439712 Small Shelf (a 1x1 shelf, why isn't this in vanilla :shrug:)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761219125 Defensive Positions, set fixed positions to send defenders to with one keypress, also includes squad membership
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1180718516 Save Storage, Outfit, Crafting, & Drug Settings - because setting up the same standard job bills every time for things like stoves and smelters is not actually gameplay!
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=935982361 Better Workbench Management, allows copying and linking bills between workbenches (e.g. you have 5 tailors, change a bill on one of them and all 5 receive the change)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=945085502 No Default Shelf Storage, so you don't waste haul labor moving inappropriate poo poo onto a new shelf
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=715565817 Medical Tab, lol if you don't have this
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1516158345 Interaction Bubbles, see what they're talking about
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1372003680 Replace Stuff, get rid of vast amounts of busywork when improving constructions
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1414302321 Numbers, a great reporting/finding stuff UI tool
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1542393171 Terrain Zone Selections, will create "flood fill" zone based on terrain type under the mouse
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1117406550 My Little Planet, so you can have a smaller globe with 100% coverage and not take ages to load
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1508850027 RimHUD, see interesting poo poo with less clicks
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1419593453 No Forced Slowdown! So watching that refugee make the run to your gate isn't brutally agonizingly dull!

and none of these really alter vanilla game balance, they just get rid of bullshit or show you more poo poo you could see with more clicks

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Always a treat to get sapper mechanoids when your main force is out killing a bandit outpost and you only have three fighters and three pacifists left to defend. Forcing the pacifists to fight with Pawns Are Capable, but 4v6 when one of the four is a Mammoth from More Mechanoids is not a favorable lineup....

Update: The Assault and Centipede mechs are dead, along with one of the defenders. A second defender is a wimp and unconscious. The Mammoth is rampaging through the tunnels, slaughtering kittens and puppies while my remaining four defenders pink at it with revolvers and rifles.

Update 2: The Mammoth is down. Death toll is one colonist and fifteen pets.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 4, 2019

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like the pets served their purpose.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Warmachine posted:

Always a treat to get sapper mechanoids when your main force is out killing a bandit outpost and you only have three fighters and three pacifists left to defend. Forcing the pacifists to fight with Pawns Are Capable, but 4v6 when one of the four is a Mammoth from More Mechanoids is not a favorable lineup....

Update: The Assault and Centipede mechs are dead, along with one of the defenders. A second defender is a wimp and unconscious. The Mammoth is rampaging through the tunnels, slaughtering kittens and puppies while my remaining four defenders pink at it with revolvers and rifles.

Update 2: The Mammoth is down. Death toll is one colonist and fifteen pets.

A legit strategy I've seen people talk about is getting like 50+ chickens, and whenever there's an attack you change their zone to where the enemies are, the enemies hit one of them, and they get zerg rushed by a fucktonne of chickens way faster than they can shoot :getin:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Considering the murder machines squirrels are, I can actually see that working. Go for the eyes, Coo!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Nalesh posted:

A legit strategy I've seen people talk about is getting like 50+ chickens, and whenever there's an attack you change their zone to where the enemies are, the enemies hit one of them, and they get zerg rushed by a fucktonne of chickens way faster than they can shoot :getin:

it's truthfully one of the best ways to handle raids if you can get to it. the animals are easy to maintain by constantly sowing haygrass and you could not give less of a gently caress if they die because hey, that's just the victory feast.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Chickens also have the benefit of breeding super fast, so as long as you keep a breeding pair in reserve, you can recover from pretty horrific losses. And then, naturally, you honor their sacrifice by turning the fallen defenders into lavish meals, as befitting their station.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The dropship mod got a beta release last night. I downloaded it from his Github and installed it to test it out. Only got so far as to build one but I didn't have enough fuel to test fly it on my current game yet.

I'll test it out tonight if I get time and report back. The dream of mobility lives!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Is there a mod that adds more compact storage of clothes while still letting pawns grab what they want? The medieval mod coupled with decent sized raids sure likes to poo poo up my stockpiles :v:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Nalesh posted:

Is there a mod that adds more compact storage of clothes while still letting pawns grab what they want? The medieval mod coupled with decent sized raids sure likes to poo poo up my stockpiles :v:

I prefer to use the clothing recycling mod, when stuff gets worn out or is of poor quality, it gets ripped up into the base textile for reuse.

I get a ton of lovely clothing from prisoners and guests who like to leave me 'presents' of awful cloth toques with 41% hp left. It all gets recycled or burnt.

This way I keep a smallish store room with just good or better quality clothing with 90%+ hp and mostly of stuff I want my pawns to wear.

I think there's a closet mod or something though that does what you want.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't have much clothing. I just set my workshop to maintain a supply of 2 of each type of clothes I use in my normal uniform (set to only build them if there's no clothes >80% out there) and have the basic uniform require 60%+ condition with a dump pile of clothes for all clothes <60% or tainted somewhere else. They all end up happily clothed in usually matching clothes at high quality.

LOTS of poo poo ends up dumped in a swamp or whatever. Let mother earth reclaim that which man had stolen for his works.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Extended Storage has a clothing rack that on 2 tiles can store up to 10 items of clothing, but it only allows one type of clothing.

Once a t-shirt is put in, nothing other than t-shirts can be stacked there until you remove t-shirts as allowed in that "stockpile" or all t-shirts are removed and tribal ware gets placed in there instead.

Thinking about it, I think I'll do a redesign of my crafting area to split it up into more specialized rooms. I could then have a huge tailoring/fitting room instead of scattered shelves...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

Extended Storage has a clothing rack that on 2 tiles can store up to 10 items of clothing, but it only allows one type of clothing.

Once a t-shirt is put in, nothing other than t-shirts can be stacked there until you remove t-shirts as allowed in that "stockpile" or all t-shirts are removed and tribal ware gets placed in there instead.

Thinking about it, I think I'll do a redesign of my crafting area to split it up into more specialized rooms. I could then have a huge tailoring/fitting room instead of scattered shelves...

This is what I usually do for armor and weapons, since those are the things I am most often equipping or removing by force. Shelves upon shelves of whatever tier of armor I'm currently set up to mass produce, that my colonists all run and put on when the bad dudes show up. I don't give a drat what they wear otherwise. Might change if I add Apparello or some such back again, but I'm not really feeling a need to.

I'm also wrestling with which version of repair mod I should use. There are two on the workshop that do basically the same thing and I have a hard time telling the difference between them.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Slung Blade posted:

The dropship mod got a beta release last night. I downloaded it from his Github and installed it to test it out. Only got so far as to build one but I didn't have enough fuel to test fly it on my current game yet.

I'll test it out tonight if I get time and report back. The dream of mobility lives!

So far so good.

I did a bandit outpost mission with it this evening. Sent a scout drop pod in, then selected a landing zone for the dropship. No issues with pawns or pawn inventories that I've come across yet.

I'll try to set up a remote camp with it when I get the chance, that was always one of the best uses IMO.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I always had a remote camp as close as possible to my trading partners, with a hunter-cook and a gardener-hunter, usually paired if at all possible.

Their job was to maintain the lodge and hanger the ship would land in, hunt a small amount of a meat, grow an excess of veges, and plant fields of flowers to maximize their environment. The rest of their time would be free recreation.

Very :3: in retrospect.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What's the mods of choice with drug production?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I like Rimcuisine as it adds some nice changes to food production/moodlets while adding magic mushrooms and dreamflower (opium) that can be crafted into different things akin to several opioid derivatives of varying strength. Also adds tea and coffee (caffeine).

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Started a new base in the mountains to play around with underground building and used the reroll map mod to get a map that is extremely dense mountain for maximum building space. Now I have the problem where traders show up but can't seem to find their way back off the map, often collapsing from malnutrition and dying if I don't notice them for rescue. They aren't completely stuck because they'll eventually find their way out, it just takes forever and they're wandering into my base and letting all the warm air out of my temporary greenhouse while doing so. Also prisoners that I mark for release will get dropped outside my door and they promptly turn around to walk right back in to my prison for some reason.

Any way to fix this? I don't think it's a mod issue because I haven't had it before, I think it's some kind of pathing issue with how crazy mountainous the map is. All the wildlife mostly hangs out in the little valley entrance too but that's probably because there's no food in the inner valleys thanks to permanent winter.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Maybe try digging some tunnels through the mountain to open up pathing possibilities?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Oh my god

This is the golden timeline

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Oh my god

This is the golden timeline

Chicken Plucker's mods range from yikes to purestrain gold. I just can't get into them because I feel the detail clashes a bit much with the rest of the art in game.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

He is half raccoon, half man.

She is a dark elf with a hydraulic jaw.

Only on the rim could their love blossom.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McGiggins posted:

I always had a remote camp as close as possible to my trading partners, with a hunter-cook and a gardener-hunter, usually paired if at all possible.

Their job was to maintain the lodge and hanger the ship would land in, hunt a small amount of a meat, grow an excess of veges, and plant fields of flowers to maximize their environment. The rest of their time would be free recreation.

Very :3: in retrospect.

Remote camp report: The plane works fine so far, but the fuckin robots that I brought with me won't turn on outside the main base! What bullshit is this? :smith:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Are they androids or MISC robots?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
My warden fell in love with one of her prisoners before their resistance was removed. How the heck does sharing a bed work if one of them is a prisoner?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

My warden fell in love with one of her prisoners before their resistance was removed. How the heck does sharing a bed work if one of them is a prisoner?

Without the possibility for consent to exist.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McGiggins posted:

Are they androids or MISC robots?

This misc robots. I love those little advanced roombas.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

It's the last weekend of my holidays, and I bought Rimworld yesterday at around 2pm (Saturday). It's now Sunday afternoon, I've had four hours sleep, and 18 hours on the board. Wow, what a game. This game ticks all the boxes, and modding it has improved the tedious elements significantly. I haven't binged on a game like this for around 10-15 years.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
The roombas need their charging stations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

fappenmeister posted:

It's the last weekend of my holidays, and I bought Rimworld yesterday at around 2pm (Saturday). It's now Sunday afternoon, I've had four hours sleep, and 18 hours on the board. Wow, what a game. This game ticks all the boxes, and modding it has improved the tedious elements significantly. I haven't binged on a game like this for around 10-15 years.

It's that kind of game.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I got this game when I got my gallbladder out and I played in bed and then at the desk all day for like a week straight. It owned. Made my surgery suck less.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

vandalism posted:

I got this game when I got my gallbladder out and I played in bed and then at the desk all day for like a week straight. It owned. Made my surgery suck less.

It didn't get you wondering what other organs the doctors' nabbed while they were at it?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A pirate extortion bugged out and sent me two raids instead of one. The Ferals have blown the front gate clean off of my mountain base, and are also going about the business of butchering my henhouse.

edit:

They caused a lot of damage to the front of the base with their rocket launchers and grenades. If I hadn't dragged the downed colonists into the main hallway, they'd have gotten bombed to death.

The chickens were not so lucky.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

"That's a lot of nuts!" but with death.