Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

LeschNyhan posted:

I want to play this game for the first time again.

seriouslyyyyy :smith: stupid memory retention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

LeschNyhan posted:

don't we all

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

LeschNyhan posted:

Stupid crashes :mad:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wafflecopper posted:

Stupid crashes :mad:
"I want to play the game for the first time again" would be a cruel monkey's paw wish for many, yeah.

My first reaper extreme close up grabbing my seamoth from behind was pretty relaxed because it was completely silent. Good for my nerves, bad for me ever taking reapers seriously.

Stalkers remain the best sea boys start to finish though :unsmith:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 5, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Wow, once I got a self sustaining base and all the vehicles and tech, my interest in this game dropped off harder than the cliff down into the grand reef. That was... fast.

Did you finish the story? Story good

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Hi! I just started playing this game yesterday. and TODAY I GOT MY OWN CYCLOPS. THIS IS THE DOPEST GAME EVER. I FEEL LIKE KING OF THE loving SEA!!!!!!

The whole chain of "Deploying the sub from my base > deploying in my seamoth from the sub -> deploying with my seaglider from the seamoth" is the raddest poo poo. It feels good!!

edit: I cant fathom how much I would hate this game if I was playing with Hunger and Thirst enabled.

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 5, 2019

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
So I popped in a mod that allows you to install more than 4 upgrades on your Seamoth/Prawn, supe my moth up with every possible fuckin' thing, pop out of it for a few minutes after a wreck crawl to pick up some salt and a Leviathan comes over and snatches it away.

God drat it.

(And I'm playing on hardcore, so I wasn't about to swim after it)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I realized I was running out of water, but I would need a knife to collect stuff for bleach. From the top of the pod I could see something on the surface of the water (or a glitch) so I swam to out, farther than was probably wise. When I submerged I was in a kelp forest full of stalkers. I grabbed the stuff I hadn't seen in the area below the pod (salt, seeds, etc.) and by the time I was done I had a knife, flippers and a scanner. I'm at the point now where I think I can plan a bit.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Is there any way to increase the draw distance? I keep getting lost in places, especially the acid caves, because rock formations and other features just arbitrarily pop in from the fog at a certain distance. I think that's a big reason why I kept having orientation issues to be honest.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The thirst/food timers aren't bad in this, really, they just give you something to do as you wait for the nights to end, or a reason to return to base/your Cyclops. It's kinda nice to plan out your rations for a long trip, and getting a big protein pack is a nice bit of loot for the game to give you as a reward for exploration that isn't overpowered.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Beds let you skip to the next morning. Also chairs and benches suspend food/water needs while you're sitting.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

mortons stork posted:

Is there any way to increase the draw distance? I keep getting lost in places, especially the acid caves, because rock formations and other features just arbitrarily pop in from the fog at a certain distance. I think that's a big reason why I kept having orientation issues to be honest.

AFAIK the game intentionally uses a short draw distance to conceal the fact that the world is really, really tiny.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
It's kind of lovely if that is the case to be honest, 'cause it's such a pain in the rear end. It also kinda looks like crap when things like the mushroom tree forest loads up the pillars first from a distance and then remembers that the coral must load as well.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Fangz posted:

The thirst/food timers aren't bad in this, really, they just give you something to do as you wait for the nights to end, or a reason to return to base/your Cyclops. It's kinda nice to plan out your rations for a long trip, and getting a big protein pack is a nice bit of loot for the game to give you as a reward for exploration that isn't overpowered.

Honestly it’s the only survival game where I really enjoyed the hunger and thirst mechanics, they felt well timed and not too intrusive but motivated me to learn about different fish, make water purifiers, plan out little stashed around the map, and made finding the above ground base an actual useful game changer

All you need to survive is one lamp whatever tree next to your cyclops seat really, and for dangerous expeditions the game throws tons of nutrient bars and pure water at you

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

mortons stork posted:

It's kind of lovely if that is the case to be honest, 'cause it's such a pain in the rear end. It also kinda looks like crap when things like the mushroom tree forest loads up the pillars first from a distance and then remembers that the coral must load as well.
It drops off slightly in the Cyclops, where you are discouraged from going fast enough to see the bigger pop-in examples, because it sets itself on fire if you use top gear for longer than ??? :v:

(Though if 'acid caves' is any indication, speed limits didn't stop landmark pop-in for your Cyclops)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 5, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lol yeah I thought i was clever putting a power cell charger in my Cyclops

That used to work!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

The main issue about the draw distance is that if you can't see the grass/details, you can't see the fragments either. Which is a problem if you're zooming around in a Seamoth.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

well there's also the other issue where sometimes large structures just don't load until you're inside them and whoops now you're stuck out of bounds, or whoops the structure loaded with your seamoth halfway inside it and instantly blew it up

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

WarpedNaba posted:

The main issue about the draw distance is that if you can't see the grass/details, you can't see the fragments either. Which is a problem if you're zooming around in a Seamoth.

Forget about the details, I could run into rock formations almost a second before they were drawn on the screen when the Seamoth was going full steam.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

well there's also the other issue where sometimes large structures just don't load until you're inside them and whoops now you're stuck out of bounds, or whoops the structure loaded with your seamoth halfway inside it and instantly blew it up
"Where is the lifepod? The signal says it's right-" BONK.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

itt we demonstrate the pROFESSIONALS ONLY grip technique for the habitat builder

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I finally beat the game for the first time and only now do I find out about the cuddlefish!?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Speedball posted:

I finally beat the game for the first time and only now do I find out about the cuddlefish!?

Play it again, Sam.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I found two time capsules today and both of them, I poo poo you not both of them contained a loving hand-scanner module. One was a hand scanner, a habitat builder, a thermoknife, and a couple first aid kits. Why the gently caress would anyone do that? At least the second one contained a creature egg, so maybe this is an egg for that legendarily hard-to-find creature I doubt it.

E: I checked again. They've got 500 capacity batteries in them. This is great!

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 6, 2019

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I always leave 4 ion batteries and 2 ion power cells. They don't break naught, and there's always a desire for 'em.

Better than the poo poo I get.

e: You lucky motherfucker.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One time capsule I found had charging fins and an energy saver module for the Cyclops, lovely gift. I wish I could upvote time capsules after you pick them up because that was a good one.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

mortons stork posted:

Is there any way to increase the draw distance?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/0/1693785669845485600/

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I put a Prawn drill arm, grappler arm, thermal reactor module, jump jet booster, an ion power cell, and that cute little kitten poster from the Aurora galley into mine.

I feel the greatest weakness of Subnautica is the pacing of the tech tree at the endgame; by the time you actually find some of the endgame materials (kyanite, nickel ore, crystalline sulfur) you've pretty much already done everything - while the modules that actually use said materials are cool, there's very little to actually use them on.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 6, 2019

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I found two time capsules today and both of them, I poo poo you not both of them contained a loving hand-scanner module. One was a hand scanner, a habitat builder, a thermoknife, and a couple first aid kits. Why the gently caress would anyone do that?

I suspect the reason for time capsules like this could be that (mild spoilers) loading your time capsule is literally the last thing you do before you finish the game. If you don’t know or don’t care about the time capsule thing you probably just fill it up with whatever’s in your inventory at the time. I know I did.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'm liking these Cyclops mods. Solar-powered speedo submarine a bess.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
My personal 'favorite' time capsule I ran into was a Seaglide. Said capsule was wedged in the rocks near Keen's capsule, under the floating island. At least it had an ion battery in it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
When it came time for me to fill my time capsule I had no idea what it was for, as I hadn't then (and still have not) found one. So I put a Cuddlefish egg in it with some food and water.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I filled my time capsule just now with all the end game upgrades for the prawn and cyclops. I met really lovely time capsules in my playthrough like ones filled with food and water. I didnt want to be that guy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I found two time capsules today and both of them, I poo poo you not both of them contained a loving hand-scanner module. One was a hand scanner, a habitat builder, a thermoknife, and a couple first aid kits. Why the gently caress would anyone do that? At least the second one contained a creature egg, so maybe this is an egg for that legendarily hard-to-find creature I doubt it.

E: I checked again. They've got 500 capacity batteries in them. This is great!

in my time playing I got like 6 time capsules and three of them had the mini-aurora in it which I was very thankful for so I could cover my desk in the office with mini-auroras

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Away all Goats posted:

Welcome aboard, Captain. All systems online.

You are the best captain on the planet.

Wow, once I got a self sustaining base and all the vehicles and tech, my interest in this game dropped off harder than the cliff down into the grand reef. That was... fast.

Start an aquarium!

Waffle House posted:

itt we demonstrate the pROFESSIONALS ONLY grip technique for the habitat builder

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The player character's initial animations with about every tool suggest they're not very good with them, so fitting.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
Some thoughts from a first time player who has had it on his wishlist for a year+ and finally got it:

- Seeing the Cyclops drop in the water after building it and boarding it for the first time were both awe-inspiring moments. Those will stick with me for a while.
- The Seamoth is the best vehicle though and if it weren't for the crappy 900m limit it would be all I'd ever need
- I guess I have to use the Prawn now for the lower depths so I'll have to practice it, but I want to *fly* not jump >:[
- After the Sunbeam blew up, I pretty much ran away from the alien weapon thing and never explored it because are you kidding me that thing is terrifying. Apparently exploring it is kind of critical to the storyline because I never got the Alterra HQ message telling me about the captain's room code so I ended up wandering around wondering what to do next besides just collecting materials and building stuff. I wandered over and found the Degasi bases on the other island and found their bases down in the deep. Eventually I stumbled upon the disease research facility in that huge underground cave and the Alterra HQ message came through then, so I am picking up on the storyline way later and just now starting to build the rocket. So there was like 20 days or so where I was just wandering aimlessly. But it was fun and I probably spent 10 of those days just rearranging my base to make it Optimal. I think I'm sort of back on track though but now I have to find Kyanite and figure out how to
- It's also been really cool to meet all these creatures the first time and learn to be afraid of them and then not afraid of them as I got some more knowledge and a thermal stabby friend and a freeze rifle
- Really for a future where I can build a massive or intricate vehicles with a few bars of metal, some shards of glass and baby's first wiring kit, how do I not have a way to create a map of places I've already been
- For a guy who is a min/maxer who always reads guides and searches optimal builds and stuff for everything, I've been trying to avoid all that and figure it out by wandering. I have been sort of successful at it but it's hard not to just read the wiki to point me in the next direction

Anyway game is great, I both can't wait to get off this stupid planet and also never want to leave

edgar_ fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 7, 2019

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It was announced on twitter that Below Zero will be out in early February (in early accesses I assume)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I wish they wouldn’t do early access with DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zesty posted:

I wish they wouldn’t do early access with DLC.
Hopefully this time around, they don't leave as many notable bugs in the launch version.

poo poo like cyclopes and seamoth/prawn clipping into the world, or entire plot locations simply erasing themselves was getting reported nonstop in the months to year+ leading to launch of the base game :sigh: This year my friend who finally bought the game had a close call with only some cosmetics outside erasing themselves and not the actual plot location, but was not so lucky in finding a sea monster waiting indoors for them.

Maybe the comparatively cleaner slate will leave less insane showstopper bugs like people clipping to their death through the ending cutscene after struggling through several hardcore runs, and limit itself to merely embarrassing "So we can't quite lick this whole item placement thing, now posters are banned from windows".

With the emphasis on your big snow truck, at minimum they have to be confident they can sort vehicle clipping this time around. That's the most encouraging sign for the DLC turning out with less bugs than the base game, at least.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 7, 2019