Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I was curious and briefly checked /co/

you have no one to blame but yourself and america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A Sometimes Food posted:

Cheers mate. Rewatching Thor 3 and going to see Spiderverse kinda got me to sign up. Finding Miles and Gwen series was easy. Thor and Pete have a... few more options.

I was also gonna check out that new Hulk one after someone posted him eating demonic investment bankers.

What's the best modern Spidey btw?
Zdarsky's Spectacular is the objectively correct answer here, but Spencer's current run is also actually really good. JMS' run on Amazing (Sins Past aside) is also another excellent run. Shame about how it ended. And while Renew Your Vows wasn't 616 Peter, it is delightful.

Speaking of JMS, his Thor run is another pretty good take. And of course, if you're willing to go back that far, Simonson's run is still pretty timeless, in my humble opinion.
Oh goddamn monkey's paw, I didn't want Deathlocket back! :colbert:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Immortal Hulk continues to be really goddamn good.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Dr.Magnificent posted:

It is the Hulk, most of his gamma energy was siphoned out of him by a possessed absorbing man in the previous issue. They showed that by having Hulk look emaciated, which is cool visual choice.

You should be reading Immortal Hulk.

Ah ok, cool. There's a lot of things I want to read before I get to that point. I came to comics late in life(couldn't afford them as a kid or teen), so there's about a billion back issues to get through first. I haven't really started reading any Hulk yet, apart from World War Hulk.

Something I've noticed that bothers me about reading books as they come out, or as they hit Marvel Unlimited is that each book seems like hardly any story at all these days. It's like watching an episode of a tv show up to the first commercial break, then waiting a month before watching the next segment of the episode. At least with the older books, each issue had a story in it. I'd rather read trades or whole arcs on MU than read single issues as they come out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You could read immortal hulk without having ever read a previous hulk series. i know cuz im doing it

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Absolutely just jump on it. Don't even read Civil War 2 and the Avenger weekly series that had the events leading up to it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Don't even read Civil War 2

Well that goes without saying

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I figure if they might Google for some reading order, they'll get those suggestions, so I'm nipping it in the bud.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Immortal Hulk is probably the first Hulk comic I've ever read cover-to-cover and it's still probably my favorite comic of the year. Just hop on in.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, it's really good, and it's also a "back to basics" run for the Hulk that just has Bruce Banner, rootless man, wandering around America and turning into the Hulk at night. You don't need to know the previous stuff about Hawkeye shooting him with a gamma arrow &c.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Those Hulk pages...
Trying to view the Hulk through a feminist angle is a unique take. And there is a discussion about why men are allowed be publicly angry and it’s accommodated and why when women (and particularly women of colour) do it, it’s not allowed.

But at the same time, I think Hulk is a bad character to try and examine this with.
Yes there’s one or two times where the Hulk is sent away when he does awful things, but even at the time they weren’t presented as rewards. More like “this is the most lenient punishment we can do to you because you have helped us out.”

And those are just two examples out of literal hundreds of times when the Hulk shows up, he’s greeted with the military showing up and trying to shoot him in the face. Heck even if he’s just Bruce Banner and people find that out, they react with fear and anger.

Being the Hulk is often portrayed as being a tragic, eternal curse put on Bruce Banner for building a new type of bomb. One he will always be saddled with. It’s not a positive wish fulfillment, unless you are coming from a really bad place.

I think the few times that the Hulk get’s something vaguely nice happen to him is a good metaphor for dealing with mental illness. You don’t defeat anger control or depression through violence or punishment, you deal with it through compassion. You don’t beat the Hulk with tanks, you do it with crates of puppies.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The Question IRL posted:

Trying to view the Hulk through a feminist angle is a unique take. And there is a discussion about why men are allowed be publicly angry and it’s accommodated and why when women (and particularly women of colour) do it, it’s not allowed.

But at the same time, I think Hulk is a bad character to try and examine this with.

The next page is him sort of acknowledging that without dismissing her. At first she thinks he's mocking her, but he generally admires the way she finds anger to be something useful and productive. Rather than something to keep locked away and ashamed of, to deny is a part of you. Because her perspective is right for her, but Bruce Banner is insane. And he was before he was the Hulk. He doesn't have an anger problem. He has a "horrifically abusive childhood, flipped out and killed his dad, memory holed the experience" problem. He isn't normal, he doesn't just need to count to 10 and take some deep breaths. He needs serious help, which he rarely gets, and he needs to have a period of time without some new trauma, which he never does.

And later on she sees the Hulk hulking out, and she tries to tell him that he can stop literally tearing someone apart. That he's already won. Showing how profoundly she has misunderstood what the Hulk is.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mulva posted:

The next page is him sort of acknowledging that without dismissing her. At first she thinks he's mocking her, but he generally admires the way she finds anger to be something useful and productive. Rather than something to keep locked away and ashamed of, to deny is a part of you. Because her perspective is right for her, but Bruce Banner is insane. And he was before he was the Hulk. He doesn't have an anger problem. He has a "horrifically abusive childhood, flipped out and killed his dad, memory holed the experience" problem. He isn't normal, he doesn't just need to count to 10 and take some deep breaths. He needs serious help, which he rarely gets, and he needs to have a period of time without some new trauma, which he never does.

And later on she sees the Hulk hulking out, and she tries to tell him that he can stop literally tearing someone apart. That he's already won. Showing how profoundly she has misunderstood what the Hulk is.

That sounds really interesting. The Hulk is one of those great characters that other people think it great, but you can often completely misunderstand how horrific he is. (See Chou, Amadeus.)

I can't wait until more of it is on Marvel Unlimited.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

To be fair, Hulk usually does stop short of killing people. Tearing them apart is a relatively new one for him, she's probably right to be shocked by it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

The Question IRL posted:

Those Hulk pages...

Yes there’s one or two times where the Hulk is sent away when he does awful things, but even at the time they weren’t presented as rewards. More like “this is the most lenient punishment we can do to you because you have helped us out.”

And those are just two examples out of literal hundreds of times when the Hulk shows up, he’s greeted with the military showing up and trying to shoot him in the face. Heck even if he’s just Bruce Banner and people find that out, they react with fear and anger.

Being the Hulk is often portrayed as being a tragic, eternal curse put on Bruce Banner for building a new type of bomb. One he will always be saddled with. It’s not a positive wish fulfillment, unless you are coming from a really bad place.

I think the few times that the Hulk get’s something vaguely nice happen to him is a good metaphor for dealing with mental illness. You don’t defeat anger control or depression through violence or punishment, you deal with it through compassion. You don’t beat the Hulk with tanks, you do it with crates of puppies.

You raise good points, but I think the scene works because we're getting them from a character with a limited and idiosyncratic view of the Hulk. She doesn't see the tragedy, or the persecution, or the PAD-adjacent trauma that has stalked Bruce Banner since the 60s. She's reading the Hulk in a particular way, and martialing her evidence into a compelling and fresh interpretation.

You bring up Amadeus, which I think is actually a really good segue-- he's also someone who labored under a fundamental misunderstanding of who and what the Hulk is, but with a fervor and eloquence of conviction that made him a super fascinating and likeable character. This scene wouldn't work as an internal monologu of Bruce's-- it would be whiny, self-indulgent, and a really weird/bad read on canon-- but from someone confronting the Hulk with a radically different version of himself it really shines. A situation he reads as a curse, full-stop, she reads as a deal with the devil-- one that is intoxicatingly tempting. If the Hulk is mad at something, and he decides to lash out at it, that thing is gone-- I think that desire, that longing to be able to just smash what harms you, underwrites a lot of the scene.

FWIW the rest of the run definitely does not shy away from the horror of being the Hulk. I really do highly recommend it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Question IRL posted:

Those Hulk pages...

There was that time he was pardoned and got a sweet statue, but he did end up flipping the poo poo out and destroying poo poo. That is why doctor strange sends him away

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Man Without Fear #1 was fuckin rad and I cannot wait for #2.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Diet Poison posted:

Man Without Fear #1 was fuckin rad and I cannot wait for #2.

It was pretty great. I loved seeing all the previous suits interacting with Matt.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

What’s going on in Man Without Fear? My shop was sold out, and I’m wondering if it leads to cosmic Daredevil in the War or the Realms ads.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Open Marriage Night posted:

What’s going on in Man Without Fear? My shop was sold out, and I’m wondering if it leads to cosmic Daredevil in the War or the Realms ads.
Based on the first issue, here's the deal:

Charles Soule's Daredevil run ends with Matt in a coma almost giving up the will to go on, but then at the end just barely clinging to life in a hospital bed.

Man Without Fear picks up with Matt still in a coma in a hospital bed and Foggy coming to visit him and talk to him while he's in the coma about the long storied history of Daredevil while Matt in a coma has hallucinations about the long storied history of Daredevil and what fear means The issue ends with Daredevil still in a coma having hallucinations.

My money is on the mini-series being a sort of vamping-for-time concise trade-ready recapitulation of all of the byzantine things that have happened in Daredevil for the past 10-20-60 years in between the Soule and Zdarsky/Checchetto run. It works for that purpose, but I cannot imagine anything big or status quo changing happening within the mini-series.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Cool, thanks! I thought this was the Zdarsky run.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/jhickman/status/1082883365114703872?s=21

Had I been asked this about him, I would have guessed every single one correctly.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So did the current Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man series get canceled? I know Marvel loves to just drop a series the second a creative team leaves (then restart it again the next loving month just to be confusing about it), but I can't find any info about this and I do not see any future solicits.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

enigmahfc posted:

So did the current Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man series get canceled?

Looks like it, it's in my deactivated subscriptions in Comixology. But at least we have a Tom Taylor Spider-Man to take its place.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

howe_sam posted:

Looks like it, it's in my deactivated subscriptions in Comixology. But at least we have a Tom Taylor Spider-Man to take its place.

Doesn't that drop today?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Doesn't that drop today?

Yes, i just started reading it, and it's a delight.

e: holy poo poo, between Taylor and Ahmed, today was a very good day for Spider-Man comic books

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 9, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hell yeah, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man was great! It managed to build off what Spencer's been doing in ASM. That backup story is a hell of a thing - I definitely feel the ramifications are going to be felt for a while. I feel like there's been a fairly major sea change regarding the Spider-books, lately. I just hope it manages to last.

Captain Marvel was also excellent. I may be biased due to my love of Avengers Academy, though. It seems like maybe Hazmat might be a supporting character? I heartily approve, if so - it's always nice to see a neglected character being used (whether old or new). It's not even the first time she's mentored a younger heroine, so there's precedent.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really, really like the way Aaron is taking the Avengers. Hell yeah Broo!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Endless Mike posted:

I really, really like the way Aaron is taking the Avengers. Hell yeah Broo!

Between Broo, American Eagle, and Man-Wolf in Avengers, Hazmat in Captain Marvel, and Tara Tam in Squirrel Girl, today was a good day for character reappearances.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
I know this month’s Ghost Spider was meant to be a generally solemn one, but Gwen’s suit adapting itself to be some ridiculous steampunk or Victorian Gothic thing depending on what world she was in was (I hope intentionally) hilarious.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I read a lot of good comics today, but I think Squirrel Girl was the best of the bunch.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I would like a roz Solomon: agent of wakanda book, tia

E: sucks to be morbius, getting kidnapped twice in like 3 months

site fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 10, 2019

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Wanderer posted:

Between Broo, American Eagle, and Man-Wolf in Avengers, Hazmat in Captain Marvel, and Tara Tam in Squirrel Girl, today was a good day for character reappearances.

American Eagle is back? He rules.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I...actually kinda liked that captain marvel issue? Am i in a coma dream??

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

site posted:

spider-man_wait_a_minute.jpg

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Marvel had a charming way of pointing out her last series' problems of 'you're not on Earth enough.'

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

site posted:

I had no doubts that Thompson would deliver a good Captain Marvel comic. Though I still think the relationship between Carol and Rhodey is seriously under baked.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's not lost on me that they're saddling spider Gwen with the emotional weight of dealing with the aftermath of spidergeddon...

howe_sam posted:

I had no doubts that Thompson would deliver a good Captain Marvel comic. Though I still think the relationship between Carol and Rhodey is seriously under baked.

It's just, a good captain marvel issue? And a good Thompson issue after west coast avengers?

site fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 10, 2019

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Captain Marvel did a really good job of pointing out why exactly it's been hard to connect with some of Carol's previous runs, but then it ends the issue by doing the exact same thing that it just lampshaded! Seriously, there's not much difference between "off in space doing space things" and "off in a parallel dimension doing parallel dimension things" in terms of things that make it hard to relate with Carol's life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

also the whole supercop thing. :v