Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Monstrously ugly, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

You are proving your opponents point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Imagine if those designs had an expression besides "smirk."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

og z had a lot of bad animation, to the point where kai couldn't gracefully cover for it at times. the biggest sin of gt (and honestly super imo) isn't that the animation was bad, because I have put up with some really terrible stuff in better shows like yu yu hakusho. it's that the character designs got worse. tho gt and super go in way different directions for that and gt doesn't have really nice looking movies to fall back on like super does

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So Z was monstrously ugly as well?

Because I'm not seeing any significative change on the artstyle between Z and GT. And claiming that GT was handled by a team that didn't understood Toriyama's style is a weird statement to make since Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru was GT's character designer, someone that Toriyama himself praised for being able to mimic his style that well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

super saiyan 3 is incredibly ugly and I'm not even gonna pretend like I want to defend it. I want to believe it was intended as a joke on saiyan form changes

e: tho I will say that those z screens use way brighter colors than the gt ones

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
*stupid idiot dumbass voice* gee guys he may be wrong and argumentative and willfully obtuse about everything but i think this guy who only ever posts about how gt is good and every other well regarded piece of dragon ball media is bad is legit

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So Z was monstrously ugly as well?

Because I'm not seeing any significative change on the artstyle between Z and GT. And claiming that GT was handled by a team that didn't understood Toriyama's style is a weird statement to make since Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru was GT's character designer, someone that Toriyama himself praised for being able to mimic his style that well.

For one you posted three pictures of the exact same transformation which many do consider ugly, from the exact same arc.

That said, yes, those are genuinely better. Gotenks is probably the most interesting fusion to watch because he is goofy and cartoonish and expressive and basically the only one SS3 looks fitting on.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I like Super Saiyan 3 since it feels like their bodies are breaking at the seams to push out more power and that's what they get for demanding it.

The colors they use for 4 are just. Bad. It's an awful red color with weird fur clothes and black hair that just doesn't look appealing. Also I've mentioned it more than once but Goku's yellow pants are really loving bad. I don't really know if it's because of GT in general (though I don't like most of the designs in that show, everyone kinda looks like an rear end in a top hat) but Super Saiyan 4 is just not good.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

SSJ3 Goku looks weird but I think Gotenks pulls it off by being a more compact character design. The hair accentuates his movements really well, especially due to his size, and the weird look of it feels more at home on a character who's whole moveset is just bizarre special attacks

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Manatee Cannon posted:

tho I will say that those z screens use way brighter colors than the gt ones

I think it would've been weird if GT would've looked exactly the same as Z so I have no issues with them using a different color palette. That said, it is true that GT colors were all over the place and I don't know if is due the film they used, the animation or what. I actually would love to get my hands on an HD release of the series to see if those discrepancies are fixed (or are made more evident).

Ryaomon posted:

*stupid idiot dumbass voice* gee guys he may be wrong and argumentative and willfully obtuse about everything but i think this guy who only ever posts about how gt is good and every other well regarded piece of dragon ball media is bad is legit

I'm not being willfully obtuse. I simply don't understand people piling up on GT when any flaws I can see on its animation are something already present in the series since Z. So, it stands to reason that if one is ugly, then the other should be too.

And while appreciation on art is subjective, I can't see anything wrong about GT's animation from a technical standpoint beyond the re use of frames and laser fights that I assume, are more to a lack of budget than anything.

ImpAtom posted:

Imagine if those designs had an expression besides "smirk."

No need to imagine.

ImpAtom posted:

For one you posted three pictures of the exact same transformation which many do consider ugly, from the exact same arc.

That was my point, all the pictures I posted previously were about SSJ4 so I did the same for a Z transformation.

quote:

That said, yes, those are genuinely better. Gotenks is probably the most interesting fusion to watch because he is goofy and cartoonish and expressive and basically the only one SS3 looks fitting on.

Ah, then the point of contention is the design itself, not the animation as I was referring to on my initial post on the topic.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 5, 2019

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

No need to imagine.

Bring back the smirk! Bring back the smirk!

I never expected they would be worse without it!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The worst part about gt is the overt pedophile on the production staff

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ImpAtom posted:

SS3 is pretty clearly evoking a caveman look, I think looking ugly is on purpose.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Stairmaster posted:

The worst part about gt is the overt pedophile on the production staff

The what?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Good DBZ died with Cell so comparing super saiyan 3 and 4 is a game no one's going to win.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Gt is fine

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

no

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Ok

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
GT is basically filler.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

It's fine

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

no

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Does GT have even a single stand-out fight scene you could put next to Z & Super's highs? Granted its been a fair few years since I saw it but I honestly can't think of anything in the show that was memorably animated or directed.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

multijoe posted:

Does GT have even a single stand-out fight scene you could put next to Z & Super's highs? Granted its been a fair few years since I saw it but I honestly can't think of anything in the show that was memorably animated or directed.

Goku v. Nova Shenron

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Referring to the scene in which Pan is felt up by a deer.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

GT is basically filler.

Most DBZ filler is good, though.

The Ginyu Force invading King Kai's planet, the Garlick Jr. saga, driving cars... So much good stuff.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

sassassin posted:

Most DBZ filler is good, though.

The Ginyu Force invading King Kai's planet, the Garlick Jr. saga, driving cars... So much good stuff.

those are the only 3 good filler arcs and even then "good" is a big stretch

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
GT is weirdly desaturated despite all the pinks and yellows

ZenVulgarity posted:

Goku v. Nova Shenron

lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
GT is gritty and dark, not tone wise but visually. Which is why it’s so perfect for the late 90s

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Vegeta's moustache was widely-mocked but I think the flat-top haircut he had with it looked sillier.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Yeah, GT's highs are basically DBZ mids.

And sure, Super had some dogshit animation, worse than probably the worst of GT, but it also had some really amazing moments, easily some of the best in the series.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

GT is weirdly desaturated despite all the pinks and yellows

lol

You know what's bad

Most of the top

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Most of the top is :mediocre:, but my girl 18 fuckin' punched a giant woman (a giant woman) thru the head to defend the honor of her bald husband and that was great.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s weird that the only real fight that has any hype in GT is the Gogeta fight and that fight is just the Vegito fight with the characters pasted on top.

At least it’s shorter?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wheat Loaf posted:

Vegeta's moustache was widely-mocked but I think the flat-top haircut he had with it looked sillier.

Let's give blame where it's due though, that design was made by Toriyama. Same for Goku's pants and the absolute mess that is Trunks' outfit.

GT has a lot of bad aesthetic decisions that come from Toei's staff (the weird colour palette, the uncanny pseudo-Toriyama style, SS4's clothes changing...) but it starts from Toriyama clearly being burnt out and making GBS threads out some really awful designs.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

You know what's bad

Most of the top

I'd agree with "some of the top" but absolutely not most

Like, the only bad parts I can think of were the sniper and roshi's episode.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Actually the tail-end of the ToP is pretty strong, it goes UI Omen into Hit/Jiren into Kefla into 18 punching a giant woman into Gohan/Piccolo Father-Son Kamehamakankossappou into

okay then it goes into the robot fight and that's kinda meh

but then it goes into the fights against U11 and they're pretty much all dope.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Roshi's episode is good. Unfortunately it's tainted by his implied rape speech.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

ZenVulgarity posted:

You know what's bad

Most of the top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The top had more good moments than the entirety of GT