Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Slugworth posted:

Wrong thread. This accomplishes the task literally just as well as the actual piece it replaces, and looks hilarious while doing it.

Wonderful Construction Tales: My downspout is a boot
Wonderful Construction Tales: The downspout got booted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Wonderful Construction Tales: The downspout got booted
Canadian Construction Tales: It's a boot as good

schmug
May 20, 2007

maybe the flare in that wall would make more sense with a boot

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It's a sfw version of that fleshlight exhaust pipe mod.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I see Baba Yaga's working on a budget these days

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

duz posted:

For puttin' it up her fartpipe?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

duz posted:

I hope it goes pbffftbpppbffftbp when it rains.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Probably :nws:, but in case people haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isjQgTuUnwU

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Probably :nws:, but in case people haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isjQgTuUnwU

I like the internet.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Would that be a queef cannon?

fake edit: I love that the spellchecker recognizes "queef" as a word.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

The fake wood laminate floor at my doctor's office actually has fake markings printed on it to look like a chattery planer blade. So it's well-crafted fake lovely wood. Wow.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Hand-hewn vinyl

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Last time I was at my local lumberyard they were having a sale on "rustic" red oak. I asked what made it rustic and they said "oh, that's just our #2 grade and worse wood, some people like that it's splintery and full of knots." Apparently people that live in the country don't care about smooth surfaces.

I'd bet that your doc's floors were advertised as rustic.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Last time I was at my local lumberyard they were having a sale on "rustic" red oak. I asked what made it rustic and they said "oh, that's just our #2 grade and worse wood, some people like that it's splintery and full of knots." Apparently people that live in the country don't care about smooth surfaces.

I'd bet that your doc's floors were advertised as rustic.

My mom's a professional crafts person. There are a ton of words for that kind of poo poo. Rustic, antiqued, Americana...making things look old and lovely involves a lot of time, effort, and supplies.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Apparently people that live in the suburbs don't care about smooth surfaces.

We have trees and Amish sawmills, we know what lumber is supposed to look like.

Sir_Lagsalot
May 6, 2007

Connection error

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My mom's a professional crafts person. There are a ton of words for that kind of poo poo. Rustic, antiqued, Americana...making things look old and lovely involves a lot of time, effort, and supplies.

I've seen "Distressed" used as a positive term for new furniture intentionally made to look old and abused. A former company I worked for had some examples that were distressed using a chainsaw...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sir_Lagsalot posted:

I've seen "Distressed" used as a positive term for new furniture intentionally made to look old and abused. A former company I worked for had some examples that were distressed using a chainsaw...

People like "vintage" things

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Which makes sense, but what makes it look as though that might not be the case is the flare at the top of the downspout

The major fuckup is that you're supposed to use a flared base, not tip.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Dagen H posted:

We have trees and Amish sawmills, we know what lumber is supposed to look like.

Sorry, yeah, that was poor phrasing on my part. What I was trying to say is "by calling it rustic, you're saying that people in the country (i.e. rustic people) don't care about smooth surfaces."

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Mmmmm...not necessarily.

My wife wanted the old basement door to look "shabby chic"*

So I took it off, outside, and hit it with the angle grinder...bouncing it randomly all over the face. Took about three minutes.

She loves it. Fortunately, it's mostly covered with coats, scarves, handbags etc. so I don't have to see it.

*how to leverage your complete lack of both artistic talent and refinishing skills. gently caress; if you can't even strip paint properly with a power tool, you should probably be paying a pro.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Sir_Lagsalot posted:

A relatively recent series of This Old House had the homeowners intentionally hitting their new cabinets with hammers to make them look distressed. It was extremely distressing to watch.

All I could tank about were the kids in school who used sandpaper or files to scarf up their skateboards because they couldn’t grind or railslide.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

drgitlin posted:

A relatively recent series of This Old House had the homeowners intentionally hitting their new cabinets with hammers to make them look distressed. It was extremely distressing to watch.

This makes me irrationally want to beat the homeowner with a hammer

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

No, no, I'd say that you're quite rational.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It got even worse when you saw the rest of the house. They went for a mash of industrial warehouse with arts and crafts bungalow which was even worse than it sounds.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/watch/weston-house

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

drgitlin posted:

All I could tank about were the kids in school who used sandpaper or files to scarf up their skateboards because they couldn’t grind or railslide.

So how sedated was Norm Abrams on that particular renovation? Like mildly zombie like, or slurring his words?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Sorry, yeah, that was poor phrasing on my part. What I was trying to say is "by calling it rustic, you're saying that people in the country (i.e. rustic people) don't care about smooth surfaces."
It's just code for "I want my home to look like what I imagine a poor person's house looks like". But you can't just say "pretend-poverty red oak", so "rustic" it is.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

What's funny is that things have so flipped that a poor person's house isn't gonna have rough-hewn woodwork anymore, it's gonna have plastic and pressboard with fake wood patterns on it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Javid posted:

What's funny is that things have so flipped that a poor person's house isn't gonna have rough-hewn woodwork anymore, it's gonna have plastic and pressboard with fake wood patterns on it.

It's like vegan home construction.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

drgitlin posted:

a mash of industrial warehouse with arts and crafts bungalow

I think I'm going to be sick.

Thomamelas posted:

So how sedated was Norm Abrams on that particular renovation? Like mildly zombie like, or slurring his words?

lmao

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 5, 2019

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

It's like vegan home construction.

in their effort to buy the things the poors were using, they priced the poors out of said things, and now EVERYONE has ugly crap!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
They've got two kids and have outgrown their earlier house so " "We're not big people, but for some reason we like big open spaces," says Pete, a creative director at an advertising firm. "I think open spaces inspire you to think differently." Still, at 3,800 square feet, the house is one of the smallest ones in the area."
I kinda like the appearance of the outside of the house (haven't looked at any of the episodes yet), but there's something pretentious about the grape arbor with nowhere to plant the grapes. Maybe they'll be potted.

ed.: I don't really like the mini-barn section sticking out of the north side like an architectural Quatto.

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 5, 2019

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
My sister's dining table was hit with a chain over and over again so now it looks cool and also a glass won't sit level on it

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I don't beat my kids, I distress them.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I'm going to start calling my house artisan distressed, because that's way cooler than 'a 100 years of deferred maintenance and upkeep'

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
authentic and naturally aged

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ashcans posted:

I'm going to start calling my house artisan distressed, because that's way cooler than 'a 100 years of deferred maintenance and upkeep'

The Japanese call this wabi-sabi. It reflects the imperfection of life and the inevitable degradation of all manmade things.

That is why I am asking $1.5M for this house where a cat tore up the stair carpet and then pissed on the underlay. It was the house’s karma. Thank you.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

moist turtleneck posted:

My sister's dining table was hit with a chain over and over again so now it looks cool and also a glass won't sit level on it

I remember an old episode of The Furniture Guys on PBS back in the early 90s where they distressed a table by hitting it with a lot of different poo poo, including a big chain and a sausage.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I remember an old episode of The Furniture Guys on PBS back in the early 90s where they distressed a table by hitting it with a lot of different poo poo, including a big chain and a sausage.

This seems like you're just adding insult to injury more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I watched a furniture restoration program where the workshop was full of old craftsmen refinishing real antique furniture with incredible care. One customer wanted their mahogany campaign chest "distressed" so they put the inexperienced shop idiot on it and he did his best but between being an idiot and using the top as a workbench for his tools he accidentally achieved "distressed" perfectly.

The frequent cuts to the old men in the background pulling faces were the highlight.