Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Dire Human posted:

I've been around long enough that the "omg ded game" poo poo has popped up after every major change, and whatever hero launched after the Blizzard restructuring announcement is going to be nitpicked to loving death as """proof""" that the devs are hacks and HotS is finally finished and everyone should abandon ship etc etc etc

Ignoring the fact that Rich never says anything close to what you've been quoting him on, please realize that this dude dedicated years of his life to this game and is probably the last people who wants to see it die.

Also realize that its never been about one thing or one event that is triggering all the doomsaying. It's been years of frustrating and questionable decisions that got the game to where it is today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

So now that game ded we should just get a bundle of 10 Rock n' Roll Racing heroes to turn the early game soaking rotations into laps

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

I’ll admit that I was in a bad mood this morning, I retract my statement until I can better articulate why Imperius Discourse is bugging me.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

More like Limperius, am I right?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Hots isn't dead

It's just slowly bleeding to death in an alley

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Deeply intrigued by a hypothetical hero made exclusively with reused assets and animations. Wonder william the hero, perhaps?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Don't know who this Rich guy is, but I agree with all his points. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8diqAEeZ5E&t=3s

I started watching but couldn't finish. He doesn't like Imperius' wings? Who cares?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Toady posted:

I started watching but couldn't finish. He doesn't like Imperius' wings? Who cares?

If you had finished watching the video, you would've seen that the second half or so goes into detail about the failings of HOTS in general (primarily lack of purchasing power, but also things like the lack of an official API), most of which he and other professional players have been requesting for several years.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Kith posted:

If you had finished watching the video, you would've seen that the second half or so goes into detail about the failings of HOTS in general (primarily lack of purchasing power, but also things like the lack of an official API), most of which he and other professional players have been requesting for several years.

I started reading this, but couldn't finish, what do you mean "if you had"?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Former number one hots pro now forced to pander for reddit upvotes

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Im_Special posted:

I started reading this, but couldn't finish, what do you mean "if you had"?

I started typing a response to this but couldn't finish, wh

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Toady posted:

it is genuinely odd that imperius' wings change when you go from skin preview to the in game model. some of the other stuff he goes into is that the stab looks really weak, and his slowing initiating move is just a recolor of medivh's one damage dealing ability. also, the sword ult is li ming's basic ability, again, and his other ult looks kinda weak (i don't really agree with this. surprised that he didn't really go into how it's a recycle of johanna's ult too though)

of all of these, the only ones i find terribly noteworthy are the stab, because it does look really bad and weird, and that the wings change size between skin preview and ingame. the rest i'd agree aren't good but i genuinely just don't really care about it.

the heavy asset reuse doesn't spell good things for the future of the game though, they're clearly starting to cut some corners here

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Yes, the heavy asset reuse is whats spelling doom. Thats the thing that clued me in that ‘maybe HOTS is in a bad place.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean it's one thing among many, yeah? obviously it's not as big an indicator as them killing the esports scene, what's your point

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

game ded so what

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ninjewtsu posted:

the heavy asset reuse doesn't spell good things for the future of the game though, they're clearly starting to cut some corners here

It is and it isn't.

For ability models, I popped open the effects in question and they're not built the same. They look similar, that much is true, but they have different shapes and triangle counts, so they went through the effort of making new models (and textures and particles and ect). I don't know why they chose to texture it so it looked almost identical to Arcane Rift plus fire, but then again I don't know why the HOTS team does a lot of things.

For the ability effects themselves, there are a ton of abilities and effects that are re-hashes of currently existing things. That's not new and hasn't been since Nova re-used Raynor's Q or Tyrande re-used Uther's Q.

The problem (the actual, traceable problem) with HOTS is that it doesn't know how to spend its effort evenly. A really good example of this is Orphea vs Imperius - the former has amazingly smooth animations and a ton of love and care dumped into the gamefeel and art because she's someone's Original Character. The latter got a by-the-numbers treatment because he's just some guy from noted Dead Series, Diablo.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Eraflure posted:

game ded so what

im glad of it

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Eraflure posted:

game ded so what

game ded

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
I just realized that Murky is a radicalized child refugee of war.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Hirethor posted:

I just realized that Murky is a radicalized child refugee of war.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

I have swapped all of my sprays to this one, because it is just THAT good.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Kith posted:

Way to bury the lede.

Edit: I'm halfway through the video, and he's complaining about the way Imperius lifts his arms.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Toady posted:

Way to bury the lede.

Edit: I'm halfway through the video, and he's complaining about the way Imperius lifts his arms.

Here you go, since maybe you aren't sure how to skip ahead in videos being a new technology and all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8diqAEeZ5E&t=366s

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Its amazing that popular heroes like Ragnaros, who's been out for 2 years, never got another skin.

Oh no you have to put in some extra work modeling his skins. Poor indie game studio blizz cant afford it

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
But that would cost 2.5 raid tiers

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Can't colour him anything other than red, red-orange, and red-yellow because he might get mistaken for the other elemental heroes in the game

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Its amazing that popular heroes like Ragnaros, who's been out for 2 years, never got another skin.

Oh no you have to put in some extra work modeling his skins. Poor indie game studio blizz cant afford it

i just made a big effortpost bitching about this very thing, plus general "hey blizzard how's about we actually make the game welcoming for newbies"

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
They couldn't even be bothered to give him a snowman skin during one of the christmas events or something. Instead we got a valeera skin, a hero that already has plenty of skins and also hasnt been relevant since they nerfed her for the sake of QM balance

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

All pretty good points. Its really just amazing that blizz said "the game isnt making any money!!" while failing to understand that they didnt actually make anything for you to spend money on, and when they did, did their best to prevent you from spending it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
One, that's a very good post.

Two, I would love Snowman Rag. Fiery coal eyes pls blizz.

Three, when did the Blizzard Forums move over to Discourse software?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

beejay posted:

Here you go, since maybe you aren't sure how to skip ahead in videos being a new technology and all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8diqAEeZ5E&t=366s

Thanks for linking me to the part where he complains that he thinks Stitches is ugly and whines about skins. I needed a pro to give me the same level of insight as your average "read my hero design" Battle.net poster. Heroes of the Storm didn't fail because there aren't enough skins, for gently caress's sake.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

The inability to spend money directly on what I want is a big thing for me. Before gems I bought basically any hero that struck my fancy directly. After gems I think the only time I spent cash on gems was for stimpacks, and I only owned a little over half of the roster.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Toady posted:

Heroes of the Storm didn't fail because there aren't enough skins, for gently caress's sake.

You need money to pay people to develop new stuff and fix bugs and do balance math and to organize and run an esports league and a whole bunch of other things that MOBAs require to be "successful". As it turns out, the #1 income source for MOBAs are skins. So yes, it kinda did.

Granted, the balance problems and lack of effective reporting and lack of basic QoL features didn't help, but League had all of those same problems for years and it's hardly in a state comparable to HOTS because Riot recognized the importance of maintaining the cashflow.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I wish Ragnaros was in DOTA.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

While I've vowed to never buy loot boxes directly again, I could maybe consider it if you couldn't get duplicate legendaries. Even Hearthstone does it now, and they have way less and you're only buying from 100~ total items at any given time since they're split up into sets.

The worst thing is getting a legendary during an event only for it to be a non-event duplicate.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Toady posted:

Thanks for linking me to the part where he complains that he thinks Stitches is ugly and whines about skins. I needed a pro to give me the same level of insight as your average "read my hero design" Battle.net poster. Heroes of the Storm didn't fail because there aren't enough skins, for gently caress's sake.

not enough things to buy def helped kill it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bogart posted:

I wish Ragnaros was in DOTA.

i wish old sion and old yorick were in dota.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I've said it multiple times during the years playing this but all heroes should be playable for everyone. I put hundreds of dollars into this stupid game before stopping and I wouldn't be mad if they did that tomorrow. It's so short sighted to gate game play aspects away from people.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Toady posted:

Toady posted:

It feels like the floor fell out from the under the game for me. I've lost nearly all interest. It hasn't recovered the charm I felt from it before Genji/Tracer came to the game, back when towers had ammo, heroes sometimes said quips, and you could buy the skins you wanted. The Good Old Days?

Seems like some disconnect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

How come overwatch is printing them money if it does pretty much all the stuff hots does in regards to its monetization?