Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I think a lot of times discussion about the content would gravitate towards the relevant thread elsewhere on the forums (mainly D&D).

Yeah. I read In Cold Blood by Truman Capote last year (doesn't really fit this thread unless you count a portrait of Kansas in the early 1900s to be history) but any talk about it fit better in the PYF unnerving article thread. As for stuff like reading about WWI, there's the Military history thread in Ask/Tell, and so on.

Not that I don't like this thread - it's just that I get a bit annoyed when there's three new posts! And it's three people asking for different book recs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
we do get into discussions about the content. periodically i start pages-long arguments about the french revolution, for example

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Sorry for asking about history books in the history book thread, friends.

Generally not a huge fan of Reddit, but /r/AskHistorians has a suggested reading list that is pretty expansive and covers a lot of different subjects and time periods for anyone else who was trying to find something specific.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'd personally take their suggestions with a grain of salt. Each section seems to be curated by individuals and prone to some interesting biases.

From the section on Russia recommending Pipes' work:

quote:

Pipes has a somewhat conservative take on events, but the writing clearly quarantines his opinion away from his facts, and, well, for someone who still remembers standing in line around the block for stale bread in winter of '92, like myself, his harsh criticism is not unjustified.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Minenfeld! posted:

I'd personally take their suggestions with a grain of salt. Each section seems to be curated by individuals and prone to some interesting biases.

Oh I can't personally vouch for any of them, honestly. A few of the books on the Ancient Near East seemed to be pretty well regarded when I looked into them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Minenfeld! posted:

lmao at anyone recommending someone read Pipes in the year 2018 2019

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Meridian posted:

Oh I can't personally vouch for any of them, honestly. A few of the books on the Ancient Near East seemed to be pretty well regarded when I looked into them.

Fair.

They do list a variety of more academic works which I personally do find useful.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Minenfeld! posted:

Fair.

They do list a variety of more academic works which I personally do find useful.

Yeah I was hoping to find some books on ancient history that had more substance than a 25 minute history channel documentary. Thanks for the heads up though, I will definitely do my research before pulling the trigger on any of those.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

This thread makes me sad because looking at the title it it seemed like the most appropriate place for me to talk about what I've been reading lately like Imagined Communities, Seeing Like a State, and The Siege of Mecca. So it's unfortunate the thread is really bad and there's no discussion beyond lazy trolling and unrequited requests for recommended reading. Admittedly I only clicked the thread so I could ask for some suggestions myself but it hardly seems worthwhile now.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Squalid posted:

This thread makes me sad because looking at the title it it seemed like the most appropriate place for me to talk about what I've been reading lately like Imagined Communities, Seeing Like a State, and The Siege of Mecca. So it's unfortunate the thread is really bad and there's no discussion beyond lazy trolling and unrequited requests for recommended reading. Admittedly I only clicked the thread so I could ask for some suggestions myself but it hardly seems worthwhile now.

Imagined Communities was a great book, so please talk about it.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Epicurius posted:

Imagined Communities was a great book, so please talk about it.

Well I still have a few hours of it left but the premise seems both very simple but also very powerful. In Anderson's telling, nations, or imagined communities, are created through participation in collective rituals through which their experiences are transformed into a sense of common interest and experience. These rituals can be as mundane as reading the same morning newspaper as your compatriots, or as complicated as the hajj. As the hajj creates a sense of the ummah for Muslims, we can think back to our own secular pilgrimages to places of national cultural significance like Independence Hall in Philadelphia reinforce collective identities.

Anderson believes language is key to this process of creating modern nations, and while I'm sure its very important I feel like it is over-emphasized for example on the Wikipedia page for the book. More important are the stories we begin to tell ourselves as we continue the life-journeys that create communities. Jews today from different countries for example might not always speak the same language, but they can speak in shared symbols, stories and life experience, and that has been enough I think to create a nation of a sort within the diaspora. A nation that thinks as much about its own collective self-interest as much as any other.

Even though the basic idea is simple it explains a lot and even begins to give hints at what might come in the future. For example Anderson explains why Indochina broke up when Indonesia stuck together by explaining how in the Dutch East Indies, all the ambitious students, aspiring politicians, and business people were funneled through the capital of batavia where they learned bahasa indonesia, came to know one another and shared their stories of colonization and feelings of animosity under the subjugation of the Dutch yoke. By contrast, in Indochina the French followed a strategy of divide and conquer to separate the Lao from Vietnamese, and Cambodians even if they weren't officially discriminated against found themselves relegated local provincial positions in the future Cambodia where their political class could sulk and begin to conspire against the Vietnamese who blocked their hopes of political advancement.

Thinking along these lines it strikes me that if the leaders of the EU are serious about "creating an ever closer union" perhaps the most powerful tool they have to bring it about is the Erasmus program. By breaking students out from their confines of their native states they can create a new transnational class with a sense of common destiny, determined defend the European project. Without that feeling petty national jealousies will always threaten to tear the whole system apart, and cold arguments about rational economic interests will never be enough to keep those feelings at bay.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Meridian posted:

Does anyone have some suggestions for books on ancient Assyria, Sumeria or Babylon?

i really enjoyed paul kriwaczek's babylon

not directly an answer, but if you haven't read 1177 BC by eric cline, that's probably in line with your interests

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Squalid posted:

Thinking along these lines it strikes me that if the leaders of the EU are serious about "creating an ever closer union" perhaps the most powerful tool they have to bring it about is the Erasmus program. By breaking students out from their confines of their native states they can create a new transnational class with a sense of common destiny, determined defend the European project. Without that feeling petty national jealousies will always threaten to tear the whole system apart, and cold arguments about rational economic interests will never be enough to keep those feelings at bay.

I know you didn't present this as your own ideal, but "the EU should create a supranational cosmopolitan elite to rule over the monoglot plebs and impose their values on them" is a truly fascinating take in the current climate

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i really enjoyed paul kriwaczek's babylon

not directly an answer, but if you haven't read 1177 BC by eric cline, that's probably in line with your interests

Thank you, I really appreciate the suggestion.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Ras Het posted:

I know you didn't present this as your own ideal, but "the EU should create a supranational cosmopolitan elite to rule over the monoglot plebs and impose their values on them" is a truly fascinating take in the current climate

Well in an era when 30%+ of the population and increasing has a bachelors degree I'd question how elite people with that status really are. On a broader scale, labor mobility within the EU is much lower than that in the United States, and increasing those rates is probably the simplest way to create a sense of common destiny. As for the elite, you need to create a circumstance where the Boris Johnsons of Europe aspire and conspire towards a position in Brussels rather than the regional capital, so that they are not tempted to scapegoat it for local problems.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm re-reading Massie's Dreadnought and although I am enjoying it, more or less, it's quite clear on a re-read that Massie is a huge mark for Fisher and there's really a degree of veneration towards Fisher that isn't as present in other historical figures.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Squalid posted:

Well in an era when 30%+ of the population and increasing has a bachelors degree I'd question how elite people with that status really are. On a broader scale, labor mobility within the EU is much lower than that in the United States, and increasing those rates is probably the simplest way to create a sense of common destiny. As for the elite, you need to create a circumstance where the Boris Johnsons of Europe aspire and conspire towards a position in Brussels rather than the regional capital, so that they are not tempted to scapegoat it for local problems.

Hmm, do you think perhaps the EU should also declare an official language (German, of course) and begin punishing anyone using other languages to foster assimilation? And perhaps begin demolishing landmarks that might remind people of their local culture as opposed to a pan-European culture?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Neurosis posted:

Hmm, do you think perhaps the EU should also declare an official language (German, of course) and begin punishing anyone using other languages to foster assimilation? And perhaps begin demolishing landmarks that might remind people of their local culture as opposed to a pan-European culture?

That doesn’t sound like it would promote a European community at all!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
lol if you haven't realized that the EU is in its death throes, or that it was a doomed project from the very beginning

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Its the HRE 2.0

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Tekopo posted:

I'm re-reading Massie's Dreadnought and although I am enjoying it, more or less, it's quite clear on a re-read that Massie is a huge mark for Fisher and there's really a degree of veneration towards Fisher that isn't as present in other historical figures.

You recommend it?

I loving loved Nicholas and Alexandra and I'm currently enjoying Catherine the Great

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Bob A Feet posted:

You recommend it?

I loving loved Nicholas and Alexandra and I'm currently enjoying Catherine the Great
I think it’s interesting in terms of the technological aspects of the Royal Navy and the run up to the war and he ratcheting tensions between Germany and the UK. It focuses a lot on the statesmen of the time and for a book called dreadnought it doesn’t actually focus on the ship beyond its role in international relations.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Massie's "Peter the Great" is one of my favourite biographies.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

xcheopis posted:

Massie's "Peter the Great" is one of my favourite biographies.

I need to re-read that, last time was like thirty years ago. Are Massie's other works better or worse?

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Any good histories on the Dreyfus affair?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Barbara Tuchman's The Proud Tower devotes at least a chapter to it. The whole book is great though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I need to re-read that, last time was like thirty years ago. Are Massie's other works better or worse?

His Catherine bio was on par. The subject is more sympathetic, at least.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I believe Phillippe Oriol's book on Dreyfus is the most up to date, but I don't think it's been translated to English. I've shamefully only read accounts in biographies of Proust and Zola, but they were helpful. I think Frederick Brown's For the Soul of France is supposed to be good, but I haven't read it yet, so I can't confirm.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
is there a good book on nicky the 2nd and the end of the romanovs that isnt trying to paint them as sad romantics or some poo poo. like i don't mind painting them as some what tragic, but i want a book that shows nicky 2 as the failson dipshit that he was.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Ruth Harris"s book is good.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Squalid posted:

Yes, a very cosmoplitan class without those cumbersome traditional "roots" which are holding back places like Hungary and Poland. A "rootless cosmopolitan," if you will.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is there a good book on nicky the 2nd and the end of the romanovs that isnt trying to paint them as sad romantics or some poo poo. like i don't mind painting them as some what tragic, but i want a book that shows nicky 2 as the failson dipshit that he was.

imo the best book about this is Mark Steinberg, The Fall of the Romanovs

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Has anyone assayed Lord Sumption's Hundred Years War history? It's a four-volume loving behemoth but I've heard rave reviews of it.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've read "Nicholas and Alexandra" and thought it good. It just didn't affect me as much as "Peter". Possibly it suffered from my reading it almost immediately after, when I should have let the first bubble about for a bit.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Nicholas and Alexandra comes close to what you want. If I remember it paints him as a good husband and father but just all around bad ruler who couldn’t control ministers, his wife, or Rasputin. Or his people. Or the world. Great book. If Peter the Great is as good, I can’t wait to read it.

Probably gonna do Dreadnaught next. Just finished Sleepwalkers and I’m digging this WWI kick Im on.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Looking for something on the spread of christianity to and throughout Europe?

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Dukket posted:

Not exactly the focus you're asking for, but Diarmaid MacCulloch's Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years is a pretty good survey of church history, including into and through Europe. His Reformation history is also good if you're interested in that period.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Dukket posted:

Ehrman's Lost Christianities touches on this, but is more focused on doctrinal dominance. Still a fantastic read, and the subjects are intertwined so worthwhile for your needs.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Cool, those both sound great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
lost Christianities is great but it's really only concerned with the first few hundred years of christianity at most; you're not going to read much (anything?) about its spread into Europe

i would recommend richard fletcher's the conversion of europe, which is about exactly what it sounds like. runs from some of the earliest missionary activities to conversion of the Lithuanians in the late 14th century