Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
* use the flamingo, incense and the fish on hispanic*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Nope, not a white powder, not even close. He piled it and burned like a volcano fairly energetically with a plume of short green fibre like ash filling the classroom and descending down as it cooled. He was a pretty good science teacher so he was probably messing with us a little but breathing in ash isn't a good move in the first place.

Ammonium dichromate, I'm guessing, if it was a bright orange crystal pile that he lit.

Our (high school) board won't let us use it anymore, which is fine because it's not really great for you

http://www.rsc.org/learn-chemistry/resource/res00001709/ammonium-dichromate-volcano?cmpid=CMP00005223

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sneakyfrog posted:

sounds like my office

I just use the 5:00 cheat code every day.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

mllaneza posted:

I just use the 5:00 cheat code every day.

nevermind

* use the flamingo, incense and the fish on notable forums poster mllaneza*

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Genesplicer posted:

The Thermite reaction is the single most popular demo I do for 7th grade science. The kids are amazed when they can feel the heat coming off of the reaction from 10 meters away.

I had a very old retired chemical engineer that taught 9th grade chemistry and our second* favorite demonstration was when he whipped up a batch of nitrogen triiodide. He'd smear it out on a towel and say, ok now this will explode as soon as it dries.

We'd wait and wait and nothing would happen and he'd tell stories about poo poo the Nazis tried to use as rocket fuel, or shooting rifles at 55 gallon drums of sodium floating in the Rio Grande back in the day.

Eventually we'd run out of time and he'd shrug and say the reaction doesn't always work and as we were filing out of the room he'd push the towel off his lab bench and into a trash bin and kerblooie. It was awesome.

*First favorite is when he let us distill ethanol and then drink it

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Somewhere, a school board collectively just poo poo their pants and nobody knows why.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

tactlessbastard posted:

I had a very old retired chemical engineer that taught 9th grade chemistry and our second* favorite demonstration was when he whipped up a batch of nitrogen triiodide. He'd smear it out on a towel and say, ok now this will explode as soon as it dries.

We'd wait and wait and nothing would happen and he'd tell stories about poo poo the Nazis tried to use as rocket fuel, or shooting rifles at 55 gallon drums of sodium floating in the Rio Grande back in the day.

Eventually we'd run out of time and he'd shrug and say the reaction doesn't always work and as we were filing out of the room he'd push the towel off his lab bench and into a trash bin and kerblooie. It was awesome.

*First favorite is when he let us distill ethanol and then drink it

Speaking of hypergolic propellants, there's an amazing, relatively short book out there called "Ignition!" by John C. Clark who was a reseacher in hypergolics back after WWII when the US was just getting seriously into rocketry. It's an amazing read which is really geared towards the common non Chemical Engineer, and is fraught with stories about them basically mixing different poo poo, and basically standing back and "seeing what happens". His descriptions of the experiments, chemistry behind them, and tests are amazing, and most times, hilarious.

Linkage: https://library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/ignition.pdf

The pictures in the forward of the book basically describe the entire text.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
im just going to take this as an opportunity to say anyone who enjoys ignition will enjoy this thread as well

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602006

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I’m gonna nerd out on this a bit today and dig through the life safety codes before I post uninformed opinions.

Sorry in advance for the nerd out.

So obviously escape rooms are a new and niche entertainment concept, and this means that specific codes for them don't exist yet. While I'm sure this fatality event will probably spur on code changes, there should be some immediate discussion on best practices that code officials can apply by looking at similar situations that are covered in the life safety code.

Two sections of the egress code stand out as good places to start. "Sensor Released egress doors", and "Access controlled egress doors"

Sensor Released egress doors are primarily used in facilities where we want the door to be locked from the outside, but not the inside. These are common in medical facilities, offices, and even private condo complexes. They are primarily noticeable by the annoying little sensor above the door you need to wave at to get the door to open. The codes for having these doors as an egress are:

Access controlled egress doors are found in clinical settings for patients that may need to be contained like in mental health facilities or Alzheimer wards. The codes for these doors are:

The only code provision from the first set that conflicts with the use of an escape room is the automatic release sensor. Obviously just walking up to the door and it opening defeats the point of the game. The second code set gets closer since the game participants are pretty analogous to the contained patients. However this code is very specific that these kinds or doors are only allowed in institutional buildings, and only because the additional risk created by the door being locked offsets other risks to the health of the patients if the door was unlocked. If this code was to be used to simply facilitate a silly game the code official should be well within their rights to require a more stringent set of requirements.

Since my field is automatic fire sprinklers, my first code change would be to require that all escape room facilities be fully sprinklered and alarmed. Of course this would then require the door release be wired into both systems for automatic release. These two systems combined would quickly activate to release all the doors and further likely put the fire out before much smoke/gas is created to create a suffocation hazard.

Second code change would be to require two trained staff members minimum at the facility at all times with potentially even more if multiple rooms are used at once.

You could probably go further and require that the doors have a 15 second push bar installed that overrides everything else, kinda ugly but 5 kids just died so to bad.

All that is on top of the standard "these facilities need to be regularly inspected by fire and building officials to insure they are constructed properly and not death traps for a myriad other reasons"

SpaceCadetBob fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 5, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ignition! is a favorite in the PYF Dangerous Chemistry thread. Some of the most vicious hell-broths ever concocted have their history told in those pages, like thread favorite Chlorine trifluoride (sets wet sand on fire, and the resulting smoke is boiling clouds of hydrofluoric acid) or any of the fuming nitric acids.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Ignition! is a favorite in the PYF Dangerous Chemistry thread. Some of the most vicious hell-broths ever concocted have their history told in those pages, like thread favorite Chlorine trifluoride (sets wet sand on fire, and the resulting smoke is boiling clouds of hydrofluoric acid) or any of the fuming nitric acids.

Was that the book that talked about using trimethylmercury as rocket fuel?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Was that the book that talked about using trimethylmercury as rocket fuel?

Not just talked about, actually did :stonklol: It was that, or some other mercury compound (possibly dimethylmercury?). If that sounds familiar, it’s the same compound that killed someone after they spilled it on their gloves hand. This was how we found out that those common safety gloves let the dimethylmercury through, completely unimpeded. Poor Dr Wetterhahn...:(

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Wetterhahn

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 5, 2019

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Icon Of Sin posted:

Definitely. I've been an amateur rocketeer for decades now, and have only gotten up to small hybrid setups (gasoline/H2O2/permanganate is my favorite), and have always been fascinated by hypergols, but nfw do I have the stones to mess with that stuff. The number of times he uses the phrase "I'm surprised no one was injured" is (although, it probably shouldn't be) really amusing. Quite a bunch of pioneers, or, maybe pyros, that bunch.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I once tried to make a gasoline/potassium permanganate bomb when I was kid from the Anarchist Cookbook. Stole the permanganate from junior high school chem lab.

It didn’t work which is probably for the best since I was way too close to it when I tried to detonate it.

Also stole a bunch of mercury. And potassium nitrate (or nitrite?) which I mixed with sugar as an oxidizer to make smoke bombs.

I was a dumb kid.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There’s has to be OSHA.txt contained in here somewhere. This is Dr Derek Lowe’s personal blog of Things I Won’t Work With. He’s a drug discovery chemist, but has some fairly wide-ranging articles. Explosives, poisons, things that just stink, drugs, etc.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/category/things-i-wont-work-with

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tochiazuma posted:

Ammonium dichromate, I'm guessing, if it was a bright orange crystal pile that he lit.

Our (high school) board won't let us use it anymore, which is fine because it's not really great for you

http://www.rsc.org/learn-chemistry/resource/res00001709/ammonium-dichromate-volcano?cmpid=CMP00005223

Looks about right. Shame the videos aren't clear enough to see the flying ash fill the room. He followed none of the above guide lines like using 10g, it was a handful or two. The demo wasn't even there to teach anything, it was just fireworks.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I once tried to make a gasoline/potassium permanganate bomb when I was kid from the Anarchist Cookbook. Stole the permanganate from junior high school chem lab.

It didn’t work which is probably for the best since I was way too close to it when I tried to detonate it.

Also stole a bunch of mercury. And potassium nitrate (or nitrite?) which I mixed with sugar as an oxidizer to make smoke bombs.

I was a dumb kid.

I did something like that too in high school using the Anarchist Cookbook - a tennis ball "bomb" filled with strike-anywhere matchheads.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Sorry in advance for the nerd out.

So obviously escape rooms are a new and niche entertainment concept, and this means that specific codes for them don't exist yet. While I'm sure this fatality event will probably spur on code changes, there should be some immediate discussion on best practices that code officials can apply by looking at similar situations that are covered in the life safety code.

Two sections of the egress code stand out as good places to start. "Sensor Released egress doors", and "Access controlled egress doors"

Sensor Released egress doors are primarily used in facilities where we want the door to be locked from the outside, but not the inside. These are common in medical facilities, offices, and even private condo complexes. They are primarily noticeable by the annoying little sensor above the door you need to wave at to get the door to open. The codes for having these doors as an egress are:

Access controlled egress doors are found in clinical settings for patients that may need to be contained like in mental health facilities or Alzheimer wards. The codes for these doors are:

The only code provision from the first set that conflicts with the use of an escape room is the automatic release sensor. Obviously just walking up to the door and it opening defeats the point of the game. The second code set gets closer since the game participants are pretty analogous to the contained patients. However this code is very specific that these kinds or doors are only allowed in institutional buildings, and only because the additional risk created by the door being locked offsets other risks to the health of the patients if the door was unlocked. If this code was to be used to simply facilitate a silly game the code official should be well within their rights to require a more stringent set of requirements.

Since my field is automatic fire sprinklers, my first code change would be to require that all escape room facilities be fully sprinklered and alarmed. Of course this would then require the door release be wired into both systems for automatic release. These two systems combined would quickly activate to release all the doors and further likely put the fire out before much smoke/gas is created to create a suffocation hazard.

Second code change would be to require two trained staff members minimum at the facility at all times with potentially even more if multiple rooms are used at once.

You could probably go further and require that the doors have a 15 second push bar installed that overrides everything else, kinda ugly but 5 kids just died so to bad.

All that is on top of the standard "these facilities need to be regularly inspected by fire and building officials to insure they are constructed properly and not death traps for a myriad other reasons"

I attend escape rooms pretty regularly. As far as I can remember, every escape room I've done has not only been fully monitored but actually had at least one totally unlocked exit available. In fact, except for one specific venue that only had a single door per room, every other escape room either had you exit from a different door than the one you entered or have a specific task to complete beyond just "escaping" (like Gold Rush at the Escape Game franchise requires you to find a gold mine hidden under a cabin and get the gold hidden inside).

The one venue that still required you to escape through the door you entered just left it unlocked in case of emergencies and wouldn't stop the timer to count it as a win unless you fulfilled all the other conditions to escape, like entering a code on the keypad next to it. Escape rooms are generally wired and computerized out the yin-yang.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Sagebrush posted:

YOU DON'T CAST KNIVES OR SWORDS OR ANY TOOLS LIKE THAT

tools of this type are forged! if you cast them, you end up with something super brittle and hardly suitable for its intended purpose of chopping and slashing and hitting! even back in ancient rome, when a good sword was some of the highest technology on the planet, they would only use casting for cheap disposable things like the bronze heads on the spears you'd give your slaves!

No, you do not need to forge steel swords. Making them by stock removal (grinding, machining or whatever) is fine as long as the type of steel and the heat treatment afterwards are good. Longer explanation here: https://myarmoury.com/feature_groundpound.html

Cast iron is poo poo for making a sword, no disagreement there, it doesn't have anywhere near the toughness that steel has.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Good points. In the place i go to there is actually two supervisors, one that gets you situated in the room while another is in the control room watching via camera.

I’m gonna nerd out on this a bit today and dig through the life safety codes before I post uninformed opinions.

Unfortunately poo poo like this usually has to happen before the obvious oversite in the codes get corrected.

So so many regulations are written in blood.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Having encouraged train chat I feel I have to comment a little bit about the thread title. I know it may seem like a sense of humour failure, but it's more that I want to crowbar in one of my pet subjects regarding train drivers, and Phiz Khalifa's toxic masculinity meltdown kind of allows for that.

This industry is incredibly sexist. Like, holy poo poo you have no idea. It's like stepping into a time warp. The lovely division of labour in the home that means women often end up with the brunt of child caring responsibilities makes workplaces like this that rely on 24hr shiftwork very male dominated. Most of the employees therefore have very 1970s traditional homelives where the husband works and the wife stays home and looks after the kids. The advances that have been made elsewhere have left the railway behind.

Being breeds consciousness. Because that traditional setup is so common really "traditional" i.e. loving awful, attitudes are also common. And because they're so prevalent they're hard to challenge without isolating yourself. So people often don't. It all combines to create a really hostile working environment for women.

I recently had an incredibly qualified and competent colleague who has just got a job as a driver. They are a young, attractive, woman. And they're incredibly outgoing and, basically, flirty. That's just how she is. It's how she wants to be. And she shouldn't have to be any other way for the sake of some old sexist arseholes. Toxic masculinity often means women only get accepted in these environments if they try and "out-bloke" the blokes. I just dread to think the kind of poo poo she's going to have to deal with. I wonder if it'll drive her out.

I have also never talked to a frontline female colleague who hasn't been the victim of sexual assault by the traveling public. They may not call it that, but the experiences they describe fit the description. Literally every single one, if you talk about that subject, has had it happen to them. So the punters aren't exactly helping either.

So yeah, it's fun to say train drivers are truck loving badasses, but in reality one of the biggest battles in that workplace is against the idea that you have to be a certain type of person to do the job, i.e. principally a straight guy.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Welcome to the aerospace industry. Every successful woman, or openly not straight male I've ever met in the industry is red in tooth and claw, and has to fight twice as hard to get ahead properly. Women either get treated like delicate flowers and herded into "traditional" roles (clerical/admin) or they have to "out-man" the dudes. Non-straight men have to either be the biggest swinging dick in the room or constantly get looked at with a side-eye.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
The only true toxic masculinity is how low the bar is for a "meltdown" these days. y'all i haven't even linked any of my sissy hypno self-suck self-insert fanfic. we've fallen far since helldump days.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Reminds me of a girl I knew who tried to join the USMC. She actually got as far as Basic before being drummed out for a severe injury, but I just couldn't fathom how horrible of a decision joining would have been. She's a cute, extremely liberal, bisexual girl who's very active in Pride and social justice movements and I'm pretty sure only tried to join because her older brother served. And the USMC is probably the most sexist and potentially dangerous branch for a woman out of any in an already rape-filled military.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Honestly all the marines I've ever worked with or around have been the most jovial polite pleasures to work with, and granted I've only ever worked with their aviation and mechanized folks, but man the army national guard is where the rapey people are: take the army, make it dumb as hell and only show up for duty once a month, and walk the standards and mentality back to the 1980's and you have a recipe for sexual harassment and assault.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dannywilson posted:

Honestly all the marines I've ever worked with or around have been the most jovial polite pleasures to work with, and granted I've only ever worked with their aviation and mechanized folks, but man the army national guard is where the rapey people are: take the army, make it dumb as hell and only show up for duty once a month, and walk the standards and mentality back to the 1980's and you have a recipe for sexual harassment and assault.

Oh boy do I have a bunch of stories for you :allears:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519705&perpage=40

Granted, the NG is where you find some real pieces of poo poo, but they’re everywhere in the army. My platoon had a guy getting court martialed for child porn, 2 more getting thrown out for stealing wallets and going AWOL to Canada (I was in AK), a few getting separated for drug use, a guy who liked to show off his rear end in a top hat to everyone (only after his wife waxed it, though), a few hardcore alcoholics (so much so that they got thrown out of the army), someone that thought overdosing on his meds in front of me (after I picked him up from the MP station) was a pro move, another that threw his TV at his wife and yelled at the MPs “YEA I FUCKIN HIT HER, WHAT OF IT?!”, and still more that are lost in the maelstrom of stupidity that was my unit. Welcome to AK, enjoy your stay!

:smithicide:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Are these OSHA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpAD8Ip1GRI&t=161s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyHixtwT6Zs&t=61s

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

wesleywillis posted:

Botox pickles.

Sounds like a new trend in food/cosmetic surgery.

A few years back I got salmonella* from some pistachios and lost 10 pounds in four days because I couldn’t digest food. Ever since then I’ve been dreaming of selling and marketing The Quick-Slim Salmonella Diet. Take a little pill, wait a few days and BAM you can fit into your wedding dress.

* I thought he was great in Rebel Without a Cause

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Everything in this video is :stare:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://i.imgur.com/MRlPtbR.mp4

(turn on sound)

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

That's a braaaaaaave motherfucker to stand there and ensure the cap is screwed on.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

if you got a good amount to time to kill check out this poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCm1iPLVe8I

Amazing - both terrifying and cool. I've just started watching them restore a 1949 TV set and the video is incredible from the get go, as you can see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppj3gqUTt9E

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

To be a bit of a buzzkill this seems kind of fake. Like I can’t pout my finger at anything super specific and I could be incredibly wrong but a few things stood out as kind of weird. The cameraman lingering on OIL so you, the audience, knows what in there, the front of the car where the barrel lands getting absolutely crumpled by what appears to be a less impact than an errant shopping cart would have, the camera all of a sudden being held nearly perfectly still shortly after a sprint, and the “running away” shot would be a good time to cover a fake barrel being inserted onto the background after moving the barrel.

I may also just watch too much Captain Disillusion.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
yeah that seems fake, look at the frames where the barrel 'expands', I don't think a steel barrel would act that way

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

To be a bit of a buzzkill this seems kind of fake. Like I can’t pout my finger at anything super specific and I could be incredibly wrong but a few things stood out as kind of weird. The cameraman lingering on OIL so you, the audience, knows what in there, the front of the car where the barrel lands getting absolutely crumpled by what appears to be a less impact than an errant shopping cart would have, the camera all of a sudden being held nearly perfectly still shortly after a sprint, and the “running away” shot would be a good time to cover a fake barrel being inserted onto the background after moving the barrel.

Maybe, but the front of the car already looks pretty hosed up and doesn't seem to be MORE hosed up from the drum impact - it looks like the drum only pushes in already partly-up hood.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

SniperWoreConverse posted:

if you got a good amount to time to kill check out this poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCm1iPLVe8I

:thunk: This seems unsafe.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

https://twitter.com/7NewsBrisbane/status/1081450962538004480?s=09

Not looking good for the leaning tower of Sydney, 50 apartments torn up to put in bracing, with more to come.

I knew they were hosed when the spokesman got all pissy and emphatic about how much of a not-problem this was. He was so condescending and dismissive that you could tell the entire building was days from collapse.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Wow, what a steal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

They are dropping a rocket into the barrel.
The expanding is from the pressure building as the charge burns. The expanding fits with the lids being flat pieces of metal. Look up bulging drum barrels.
It lands in front of the car and at best bumps into it while rolling.

The camera movements also seem natural and might have been stabilized by the camera or whoever edited this version, but stabilized nonetheless.

The smoke is also real and the sound is matching.

Looks real to me or someone is doing better work than Hollywood.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 6, 2019