Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That is a lovely color. Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Any suggestions on a place to get vinyl film wrap online? I found a couple places via Google, just wanted to see if there was a goon recommendation. My new vehicle has a lot of chrome trim on it from the factory and I’d like to wrap as much of it as possible.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Can't you plastidip it? Or does that look worse

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
I'd say you probably have a much higher likelihood of having the plastidip come out looking good vs vinyl wrapping. Trim pieces are usually long/thin/curved etc, that's going to be a bitch and a half to vinyl wrap vs just masking them off, spraying a few layers of plastidip and peeling off the excess.

If you really want the trim wrapped, it might just be easier to pay a professional a few hundred bucks to get it done correctly. They can probably knock it out in a few hours, have it look good and you'll be much less likely to have peeling, bubbles, bunch of seams, etc.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
If it’s trim around the windows, I used a belt line trim from a website for Mini Coopers that sold it by the roll. Did it myself because vinyl wrapping places in my area didn’t want to touch it for a reasonable price. Curves were difficult, and I had to do one side over a couple times but nothing too bad.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

LordOfThePants posted:

Any suggestions on a place to get vinyl film wrap online? I found a couple places via Google, just wanted to see if there was a goon recommendation. My new vehicle has a lot of chrome trim on it from the factory and I’d like to wrap as much of it as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnvf69MJdLs

Something like this?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

LordOfThePants posted:

Check ebay for your car + chrome delete, there may be some pre-cut sets out there. You'll still have to trim but it's a little easier.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Has anyone employed this or a similar method of redyeing seats? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI04exWUkKI

Is it a terrible, terrible idea?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Grakkus posted:

Has anyone employed this or a similar method of redyeing seats? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI04exWUkKI

Is it a terrible, terrible idea?

I'm subscribed to Sweeeeeeeeeeet project cars. Everything he does works, but many of these tricks are not best practice to put it nicely. If I had a beater that I just wanted to spruce up, I'd go for it. For anything that's remotely valuable to me I'd do something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvvGLMMTyFw

Many of the detailing tips are pretty outdated (except for the ceramic coating stuff). I dunno, I like what he does, but I just can't bring myself to trust it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm going to remove a dealer badge from my car using the heat gun/fishing line method. Is something like goo gone okay to use for the left over adhesive?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'm going to remove a dealer badge from my car using the heat gun/fishing line method. Is something like goo gone okay to use for the left over adhesive?

Yes.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm subscribed to Sweeeeeeeeeeet project cars. Everything he does works, but many of these tricks are not best practice to put it nicely. If I had a beater that I just wanted to spruce up, I'd go for it. For anything that's remotely valuable to me I'd do something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvvGLMMTyFw

Many of the detailing tips are pretty outdated (except for the ceramic coating stuff). I dunno, I like what he does, but I just can't bring myself to trust it.

That's crazytown level of effort for seats in that bad condition. He literally could have installed new leather in the same amount of time or less.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Goober Peas posted:

That's crazytown level of effort for seats in that bad condition. He literally could have installed new leather in the same amount of time or less.

chances of that matching the other seat though? not so good.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

chances of that matching the other seat though? not so good.

Maybe about the same as his dye mix in natural light haha.

That does seem cool tho if I had real leather in my 51 id go for it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My headlights are yellowed. They were clearly restored by the seller (selling photos showed them nearly opaque, they looked a few years old once I got the car in April, they're pretty yellowed again), they're also showing tiny cracks.

I'm going to go ahead and replace them with aftermarket (factory style, not fugly aftermarket style) housings. But what can I do to prevent future yellowing? I've seen a video that suggests ceramic coating the lenses? GF's car needs them restored too - her car was garaged quite a bit, so they're restorable (and not cracked), but again, I want them to last.

In the case of both cars, I don't care about looks, I just care about the lenses not yellowing again (i.e. keeping as much light in front of the car as possible). Both cars have horrible paint, zero fucks are given about appearance.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 27, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

STR posted:

My headlights are yellowed. They were clearly restored by the seller (selling photos showed them nearly opaque, they looked a few years old once I got the car in April, they're pretty yellowed again), they're also showing tiny cracks.

I'm going to go ahead and replace them with aftermarket (factory style, not fugly aftermarket style) housings. But what can I do to prevent future yellowing? I've seen a video that suggests ceramic coating the lenses? GF's car needs them restored too - her car was garaged quite a bit, so they're restorable (and not cracked), but again, I want them to last.

In the case of both cars, I don't care about looks, I just care about the lenses not yellowing again (i.e. keeping as much light in front of the car as possible). Both cars have horrible paint, zero fucks are given about appearance.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KIVYE6G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plenty for two cars.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm getting kind of excited for Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax. It looks stupid easy to apply and maintain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j4Gs_4AXhI

So, in my case, defect removal in the spring with a base layer of Ultimate Fast Finish. Then next wash do the base layer application of the Hybrid Ceramic (drying with it). From there on out for the rest of the summer it's just wash and then rinse with the Hybrid Ceramic Wax to maintain all summer.

They have a new 3 in 1 cleaner wax coming out as well. I'll be interested to see how that reviews. It might be a good thing to hit the cars with in the fall for some minor decontamination of summer to serve as a base layer for a winter finish.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I'd tried this previously using a hand held sanding disc but the mother's powerball kit worked so much better/faster.

The one the left has been done to match but didn't come out as good, even after a complete do over. About 90% as good as the right. I could probably get some fresh pads and do them both over again to get it even better. A few burns into the bumper but it's my beater and seeing is more important.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
What should I use to tape plastic trim when polishing?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Laserface posted:

I'd tried this previously using a hand held sanding disc but the mother's powerball kit worked so much better/faster.

The one the left has been done to match but didn't come out as good, even after a complete do over. About 90% as good as the right. I could probably get some fresh pads and do them both over again to get it even better. A few burns into the bumper but it's my beater and seeing is more important.

Properly clear headlights make everything better. Nice job.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

What should I use to tape plastic trim when polishing?

As long as it's dry, I just use regular 3M blue painter's tape. If you're getting splashy, the 3M blue with plastic sheeting attached works great, too.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What’s the best product to remove bugs? I have found my normal wash doesn’t get all of them and clay works well but I think that’s too harsh for every wash?

Also is clay ok to remove brake spots on my wheels? There are a bunch of tiny spots that don’t come off without it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've been really liking how well Chem Guys Bug and Tar has worked for me. I dilute it 6:1 into a spray bottle and most stuff comes right off with a microfiber. They say it can also be used as an additive to bucket washing, but i haven't tried that yet.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Trip report:. Went to the chemical guys main LA store looking for a wash and wax for my work SUv as my Adams ultra wash is a bit pricy for a car I don't own nor am I going to wax or polish it. Zero pressure, chill staff. Christ, their product line is waaaay too big when you see it all at once.

Bought their morning wood scent and ultra wash and wax. Wasn't too impressed with the suds, but I also have no frame of reference other than the Adams. I do like their foam gun and have used it several times. My only complaint is their gun's mix dial is labelled with letters instead of numbers. Their scent was real nice as I like that wood and forest scent.

Of course, now I feel like I need something to compare the wash and wax to so I went to detailing.com store in Irvine. Their prices can be way below Amazon, 5 bucks less for mother's revision glass. The saleslady who's been helping me each time recommended I grab some 3d wash and wax and Adams rubber cleaner for my floor mats. I'd be using it right now except it's raining in socal...

And now my two shelves of stuff is filling up to three. I guess washing a vehicle is a better hobby than sitting on my rear end, drinking and playing vidja games.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Bought their morning wood scent and ultra wash and wax.

That's...really one of their scents?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Yeah, I almost bought the fresh cut grass scent instead of morning wood. I can't say I agree with their marketing or their vast size of their product line. But, you can't argue that their notariety hasn't given them name recognition.

Don't think I'll be going to 100% CG and become a fanboy. I'll try out some of their products and keep an open mind as I would with any manufacturer.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My Karcher recently died (the "rust free forever" pump is plastic and it loving melted, leaking more than it pumped) so I returned it and bought a Gerni instead.

Metal pump, quieter, better attachments and fittings, better pressure in the same segment and little quality of life stuff that makes it so much easier to use, like being able to rotate the stream of water independent of the handle without affecting the pressure.

Combined with a new snow foam cannon it's done a much better job than the Karcher and much faster too.

Now I'm off to wax the car, to try and keep it easier to wash in the future.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Laserface posted:

My Karcher recently died (the "rust free forever" pump is plastic and it loving melted, leaking more than it pumped) so I returned it and bought a Gerni instead.

Plastic pump.

Didn't rust.

Worked as advertised..

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I’m planning on cleaning up a Mazda3 hatchback and finally washing my truck after owning it for 3 years... got some new pads in the mail and everything.

I’m thinking about maybe doing the silicon coating that I got on my ND, but doing it at home. I know meatpimp did it on a few of his cars with a dubious aliexpress seller, but I don’t know if I’m missing out on any steps or if the $50 kit on amazon works well enough?

I need to get something to take care of the iron debris, right?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

How do I clean my engine up real nice 🤔

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bape Culture posted:

How do I clean my engine up real nice 🤔

WD40.

That's a serious answer. It works magic and has never caused me a bit of harm. See my thread, there are pics.

Phone posted:

I’m planning on cleaning up a Mazda3 hatchback and finally washing my truck after owning it for 3 years... got some new pads in the mail and everything.

I’m thinking about maybe doing the silicon coating that I got on my ND, but doing it at home. I know meatpimp did it on a few of his cars with a dubious aliexpress seller, but I don’t know if I’m missing out on any steps or if the $50 kit on amazon works well enough?

I need to get something to take care of the iron debris, right?

Not dubious, I've never had a problem with ali express. For $5, it's the best money I've ever spent on car stuff. Ceramic coatings make life easier.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Considering the prep and polishing hours involved in doing a coating, I haven't found a use for the 3 bottles of Ali Express coating I bought. It's a few :10bux: to use Optimum Gloss Coat instead, but getting more months out of it seems worth a bit more money.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

meatpimp posted:

Not dubious, I've never had a problem with ali express. For $5, it's the best money I've ever spent on car stuff. Ceramic coatings make life easier.

Sorry I'm just jumping into this thread but is there a link to this ceramic coat kit? I'm curious. And any walkthroughs on using it? I've watched a few videos on what's involved in applying these coatings and it does look quite labor intensive, but the results are awesome.

Also, probably 10-12 years ago I bought this Mr. Clean AutoDry carwash kit that had a replaceable resin DI water filter for final rinses so that you wouldn't get water spots. I recently found it in my parents' garage, but of course I don't have a filter for it and it appears they are long out of production. Is there an inline or small/portable/inexpensive option for spot free rinsing?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I grabbed an in line RV water filter, I think recommended in this thread. Works fine.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024E6V30/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_u95tCb6Z02ATW

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MetaJew posted:

Sorry I'm just jumping into this thread but is there a link to this ceramic coat kit? I'm curious. And any walkthroughs on using it? I've watched a few videos on what's involved in applying these coatings and it does look quite labor intensive, but the results are awesome.

Also, probably 10-12 years ago I bought this Mr. Clean AutoDry carwash kit that had a replaceable resin DI water filter for final rinses so that you wouldn't get water spots. I recently found it in my parents' garage, but of course I don't have a filter for it and it appears they are long out of production. Is there an inline or small/portable/inexpensive option for spot free rinsing?

the one I was looking at was this https://www.amazon.com/Color-Drive-Automotive-Protection-Scratches/dp/B01N7UF4ZD

also it looks like carpro/cquartz stopped their amsoil "know a guy" distribution because it looks like you can get the cquartz package on amazon for $75 (which is probably the same exact stuff as the $50 stuff which is the same as the $5 aliexpress stuff).

afaik when it comes to applying it, you have to be slightly more cautious and a bit more judicious on being on top of stuff; however, if you have a DA and have done the whole wash with dawn, claybar the car, compound, polish death march before, it's like 2 extra steps instead of just applying wax or sealant at the end and you wind up with a significantly more robust finish.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

a mysterious cloak posted:

I grabbed an in line RV water filter, I think recommended in this thread. Works fine.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024E6V30/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_u95tCb6Z02ATW

Does it impact water flow much at all? Wonder if I could use it with my pressure washer.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
https://www.copart.com/lot/48953768

Thinking about buying this. Is it even possible to clean up a car that's had rainwater ingress for a few weeks? I assume replacing the carpet/seats should probably just be part of the budget.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shamino posted:

https://www.copart.com/lot/48953768

Thinking about buying this. Is it even possible to clean up a car that's had rainwater ingress for a few weeks? I assume replacing the carpet/seats should probably just be part of the budget.

Your concern is CLEANING it when we're talking about a nightmare-electrical-system A8 that's got water in it and......who knows what else:

Primary Damage: BIOHAZARD/CHEMICAL

Edit: kept scrolling. The driver got shot through the window. With what appears to be a well-controlled automatic weapon or a well coordinated group of mercs.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 31, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
And it got hit hard enough in the front to deploy multiple airbags with <20k miles on it in 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thread title again accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was just trying to figure out if that was new or the same title it's been for a while