Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Has anyone worked w Mulvaney at Criterion? I sent him an email a few days ago and haven’t heard back. I don’t expect to hear back until maybe later this week considering the holidays, etc but wanted to see if people had an idea for a timeline. Thanks!

He usually gets back to you in 3-4 business days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

gey muckle mowser posted:

If you count the sequels from the Zatoichi and Lone Wolf + Cub boxsets, quite a lot. Also Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is sort of a sequel

Also lady snowblood: love song of vengeance

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Sanjuro is an extremely loose sequel if you assume Mifune is playing the same character

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Oh heck yeah police story 1 and 2. I haven't bought a criterion in a while but those films will be instant pick ups for me.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/filip_jan/status/1082490783033446400?s=21

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I'm not sure it matters, unless "They'll Love Me When I'm Dead" is a pack in.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sanjuro is an extremely loose sequel if you assume Mifune is playing the same character

Probably the most definitive proof that they're the same person is the way he scratches his chin, no way two different people scratch their chin that way.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Watched the first four "scenes" of Scenes from a Marriage tonight. Was only going to watch one, but I was hooked immediately. Only having to save the other two for later because of work.

Also, bought my first Criterion laserdisc - the CLV 2nd edition of Citizen Kane from 1987. I was kind of wishing it was the original 1984 release, but I now have a Criterion laserdisc hanging on my wall. Almost picked up Blade Runner except they wanted $30 (and it wasn't even the nicer CAV edition) while Kane was only $2.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

April 2019 titles:

My Brilliant Career
Police Story/Police Story 2
A Face in the Crowd
Diamonds of the Night
Stranger Than Paradise
Night on Earth

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

April 2019 titles:

My Brilliant Career
Police Story/Police Story 2
A Face in the Crowd
Diamonds of the Night
Stranger Than Paradise
Night on Earth

Everything pretty meh except for Jackie Chan.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm gonna pick up Police Story and A Face in the Crowd.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Face in the Crowd owns bones.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

Face in the Crowd owns bones.

Yeah, I dunno, it's just such a condescending slog

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I will buy that Police Story set immediately. My Criterion display shelf will be a bunch of Welles and then one Jackie Chan

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm looking forward to Criterion's 100 Years of Jackie Chan box set.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Unironically yes. The plots don’t always work, but Jackie is a seriously underrated master of physical comedy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Low key surprised A Face In The Crowd didn’t have a Criterion release before now.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Everything pretty meh except for Jackie Chan.

My Brilliant Career is top notch Gilliam Anderson

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

A Face in the Crowd owns if just for Andy Griffith’s performance. The film may seem quaint today, but I think it’s every bit as relevant.

I’ll probably get Police Story if just because I haven’t seen any of his HK work. Though, hopefully The Criterion Channell will be up by then too.

etherealshaq
Mar 6, 2010

COME DOWN AND EAT CHICKEN WITH ME, BEAUTIFUL. IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO DARK
https://twitter.com/bmrow/status/1085298880487378944?s=19

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Egbert Souse posted:

A Face in the Crowd owns if just for Andy Griffith’s performance. The film may seem quaint today, but I think it’s every bit as relevant.

I’ll probably get Police Story if just because I haven’t seen any of his HK work. Though, hopefully The Criterion Channell will be up by then too.

Did they ever give an update on their streaming thing since they announced it?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
They sent out an email on the 1st saying they intend to announce a (spring) launch date and subscription process details in the next few weeks.

Also included a $10 gift cert.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Don't sleep on Diamonds of the Night, especially if you're familiar with the Czech New Wave eclipse set.

Police Story (and 2) will of course be a no-brainer

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Night on Earth is a lesser Jarmusch but its a nice film. Not gonna bother upgrading my DVD though. The last segment is a bit too maudlin.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Egbert Souse posted:

Check out Drunken Master 2 ASAP. I think it’s still on Netflix.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Cacator posted:

Night on Earth is a lesser Jarmusch but its a nice film. Not gonna bother upgrading my DVD though. The last segment is a bit too maudlin.

It's been a while, but I've seen it a couple of times and have fond memories. Will probably get it down the road.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

police story is cool and all but its a shame eureka has a whole slate of already released and upcoming HK stuff (including Police Story 1/2) and who knows how much of it will come over to the USA

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I always thought Notorious was pretty good, but holy hell watching it again its really, really loving good.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I forgot what thread I clicked on and thought you were talking about the Biggie movie.

Which isn't bad, per se, but probably isn't 'criterion.'

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Raxivace posted:

I always thought Notorious was pretty good, but holy hell watching it again its really, really loving good.

It's definitely my favorite Hitch, though I can't really articulate why. I really just adore Bergman in it.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Yeah and Cary Grant is such a creep in Notorious, he really plays against type in it and it works very well. As far as '40s Hitchcock goes though, I think Shadow of a Doubt is his best, that'd be an instant buy for me if Criterion put it out.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

He's definitely a creep (in a Natsec instrumentation sort of way, which is common of Hitchcock's critique of the Cold War), but the two of them have a kind of chemistry that's hard to deny, kind of like the couple Phantom Thread.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Almost every male character in a Hitchcock film is a creep, but Cary Grant was too charming and dashing to get them right, like Stewart did, so you can't help but fall for him. It's the same thing that sinks Suspicion, like Grant was too cool to be a wife killer.

Edit: Though this isn't a huge deal breaker for Notorious, cause the star of that is Ingrid Bergman and she does all the work, as does Claude Rains.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I guess it only would matter for newbies, but I kind of hate that the cover for the Notorious blu sort of spills the beans on one of the best shots. That little key transfer moment is one of the most tense things ever!

I prefer the old cover.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just wanted to post again how much I'm enjoying Ingmar Bergman's Cinema. Since I'm going in curated order, I'm between Faro Dokument and Faro Dokument '79.

Scenes from a Marriage was devastating. I opted for the miniseries and was going to just watch one episode a night for a week. Ended up getting through four "scenes" before going to bed the first night. The combination of Liv Ulmann and Erland Josephson's performances, the minimalist visuals, and biting dialogue makes for an experience where you look into the souls of characters. And Saraband was a wonderful follow-up. I initially expected it to be much more mellow, but he hadn't lost any bit of his touch.

From the Life of the Marionettes amazed me, too. I consider it "Ingmar Bergman's Psycho" because it's like one continuous nightmare between the stark B&W visuals (for most of the film), the non-linear story, and just an unsettling atmosphere. Also, as this was a German TV movie, I was surprised by the amount of nudity. But it's such a fresh, modern film that reminds me of late-career masterpieces by older filmmakers (like Hitchcock's Frenzy).

Hour of the Wolf is also in nightmare territory, much helped by this feeling of unease. I know Bergman was a devotee of Sjostrom, but I see a lot of Dreyer in his work too. Scenes that really stuck out include Max von Sydow getting a "beauty treatment" that's extremely creepy. It helps that Georg Rydeberg looks like Bela Lugosi's brother.

Shame is another masterpiece. I listened to the Criterion Now podcast where it was compared to Children of Men and I have to agree with that. Except Bergman doesn't offer much hope. It's a brutal film. I thought The Passion of Anna was good, even if not as good as Shame... but I did find it fascinating how Bergman managed to work in what seemed to be a discarded scene from Shame into the film as sort of an unusual conceptional continuity.

And I haven't even reached the Faith Trilogy, The Virgin Spring, Cries and Whispers, Autumn Sonata, or the miniseries version of Fanny and Alexander. I'm even looking forward to his much-derided films like All These Women, The Touch, and The Serpent's Egg.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, as this was a German TV movie, I was surprised by the amount of nudity.

I think Germany is like Denmark in that respect; we just don't give a poo poo about nudity. You can show nude people at any hour of the day on TV.

Fun fact: American Pie is rated G in Denmark.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I was looking for podcasts about movies and I can’t believe how many Criterion- centric podcasts there are .

Criterion Cast isn’t too bad, is there a better one I should be listening to? It doesn’t have to be about just Criterion titles, but I prefer talk about older movies/ classics rather than just what is in theaters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've tried a few of them (Criterion Cast, Criterion Correction, Lost in Criterion, and a fourth one I can't remember the name of that had a recurring guest whose dad tried to use Kurosawa movies to raise him into being some kind of actual samurai.) but honestly none of them are super hard recommends from me.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 29, 2019