Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You can pack literally everything up if you want the resources or use the f12 menu to delete it

Reimporting and not keeping buildings is another option

Or just leave it there. I have little outposts all over the place that I abandon. Nothing happens if you leave it. If nobody is there it doesn't even get raided

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013
Yup, dismantling everything does remove it from the map. You have to get every little wall piece and campfire.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I had the most underwhelming raid on my fledgling base. Get a notification, sent my master ninja spy to scout out the group. Medium sized dust bandits. I have her knock out and disarm every bandit as they approach my base until only the boss and two goons are left. Boss demands to talk with someone, so I unstealth behind him and ask him what he wants.

2000 cats. I break his jaw, and him and the goons run. I knock out the boss and goons, then imprison them in my training dojo (one goon is left to wake up naked and confused to spread the word). Now I have toughness training dummies!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

My copper mining might be a bit too successful, I'm floating somewhere around 100,00 cats right now. Time to go super shopping.

The ninja clothing is really no joke, my main character that I recently started training for stealth gets a 25 point bonus from wearing that stuff and can stealth almost as fast as he can run. I do like that they do the Naruto run thing, because it reinforces my theory that this game takes place in central Kansas and society was restarted by massive weaboos who survived the nukes due to being in the nuclear bunkers known as their basements

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Donkringel posted:

I had the most underwhelming raid on my fledgling base. Get a notification, sent my master ninja spy to scout out the group. Medium sized dust bandits. I have her knock out and disarm every bandit as they approach my base until only the boss and two goons are left. Boss demands to talk with someone, so I unstealth behind him and ask him what he wants.

2000 cats. I break his jaw, and him and the goons run. I knock out the boss and goons, then imprison them in my training dojo (one goon is left to wake up naked and confused to spread the word). Now I have toughness training dummies!

Depending on how the game processes it, you might be in for some more fun later on :v:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

CuddleCryptid posted:

My copper mining might be a bit too successful, I'm floating somewhere around 100,00 cats right now. Time to go super shopping.

The ninja clothing is really no joke, my main character that I recently started training for stealth gets a 25 point bonus from wearing that stuff and can stealth almost as fast as he can run. I do like that they do the Naruto run thing, because it reinforces my theory that this game takes place in central Kansas and society was restarted by massive weaboos who survived the nukes due to being in the nuclear bunkers known as their basements

pretty sure this is literally canon

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've got an annoying bug where i can't build walls anymore or it crashes the game

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

100,000 cats is a useful quantity of money but is not going to break the game, you can get easily 120,000 or more from a single ruin site not even counting the ancient/engineering books or AI cores. I once went shopping in the Scraphouse with 280,000 of cash ready and bankrupted myself whilst leaving plenty of things I wanted still on the table.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Martial arts is amazing. Many hungry bandit prisoners died in the process, but I got my main up to 60 martial and every fight now is just enemies getting their limbs torn off.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
martial arts ostensibly is the best way to raise dexterity as well so i'm slowly working toward a situation where it's worked into my training regimen. so far i have a pretty good idea of how to get rookies up to snuff on about half of the combat equation and the system should scale to at least 5 people given the availability of dried meat in Squin.

i do wish you could build SOME array of stuff inside towns. it's bullshit that i cannot build a drat well without leaving the town walls and giving them the requisite 100 meters of space or whatever.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I was starting to get frustrated base surveying until the Shem discussion earlier and I have to say Shem seems to be a pretty amazing spot. Desert and swamp fertilities with some decent minerals for the price of the occasional beak thing is :discourse:

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013
I really like my spot on the northern edge of Gut, just south of the slave camp.

You can wall in an area that has stone, copper, an iron tree, and water wells. And it's good for wheat, vegetable, hemp, and cotton farms.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Found some stuff out that may be useful.

If you build an ore storage in a town, you can sell the ore directly into a shops inventory, as long as the ore storage is within player character range (you can drop it into a characters inventory from about 80 meters)

Use a character, talk to shop keep, then click on ore storage. Shift click the ore, then drag and drop to the empty space in the shop.

You can do this for animals as well, same process. Speak with the shopkeep to trade, then click on the animal. This allows you to sell directly to shopkeep. Animal needs to be within trade range.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm guessing that The Venge is a bad place to set up base, considering the constant orbital laser bombardment and all?

Edit: I like how this Black Ninja leader is standing around outside my base complaining about his boss before attacking.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 6, 2019

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Found black dragon ninjas HQ the other day. Felt good ruining their poo poo after two annoying food raids. A corpse for every single dustwich I had to loot and put back to the food storage.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I fit all of the crafting stuff I need in a single longhouse in Squin (doing armor and xbow crafting). I just keep every scrap of raw materials my wandering crew finds on a Garru and dump it all when they come back since the local general store will absolutely not keep a full on crafting operation going.

It's fine for crafting my own stuff and providing a base of operations with some storage though. As far as food production goes, just go genocide some wildlife and come back when you have 100+ raw meat to cook or raid a caravan. Traders and slavers seem to be loaded with rations and other goodies.

I also made a mod because it's so easy to do and I wanted to be the fogmen.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1615974729

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Has anyone else experienced the "game suddenly crashing if you dare to build walls" bug? I've verified my files already.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Not walls in particular, but it feels like my game is crashing a whole lot more when I hang out around the base in general.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Where is your base? If it's in an area that already has a lot of terrain assets going on, your base might be more than the engine can handle.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

2 mods that vastly helped with performance and crashing that aren't on the workshop
- Downsampled/optimized textures (manual install/pick and choose what you want - make sure you back up your original *.dds textures like with an xcopy command) https://www.nexusmods.com/kenshi/mods/113
- Less Foliage and Rocks (I use the 4x option) https://www.nexusmods.com/kenshi/mods/54

Another habit to develop is to press ctrl+shift+f11 to fix navmesh issues when you're wandering the world and hit a zone load (loading bar on top right corner). Shift+f12 -> Fix Stuff helps too.

I have 122 entries in my modlist and haven't had any crashes after installing the optimized textures and gameplay is generally much smoother.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Is there any way to automate the feeding of prisoners?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Arven posted:

Where is your base? If it's in an area that already has a lot of terrain assets going on, your base might be more than the engine can handle.

I'm in Shem, but my base is one L house, a mine, two processors and 3 storages. When building more than 3 segments of walls it crashes.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is there any way to automate the feeding of prisoners?

Nope! Chuck a shitton of food in their inventory, it'll do the trick until you're done with em.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

City Builder ++ mod, which lets you build resources much closer to a city. Not quite "build a well in town" close, but: "Happy Urban planning, make those Rum Distillery Dreams come true."

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Ok, turns out its just that particular save that's crashing. Might have something to do with the 28 nomads that have turned up at the "town" for some reasons.

Building walls triggers the crash early, not building walls delays it but i can't get away before it crashes. Started a new game, completely fine. Did the holy sword start always make you hostile to both the holy nation and the UC? I thought you used to be able to just go sell off whatever scrub you started with and have the game be "Hobbs and his holy Sword + 20,000".

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

dogstile posted:

Ok, turns out its just that particular save that's crashing. Might have something to do with the 28 nomads that have turned up at the "town" for some reasons.

Building walls triggers the crash early, not building walls delays it but i can't get away before it crashes. Started a new game, completely fine. Did the holy sword start always make you hostile to both the holy nation and the UC? I thought you used to be able to just go sell off whatever scrub you started with and have the game be "Hobbs and his holy Sword + 20,000".

Importing the save might very well fix the nomad issue. I've imported once and every hired merc and whatever else npcs vanished from my town.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat I think starting in Rebirth might be the true easy mode. You can't starve as a slave, although you're bald and constantly malnourished. Except being in a cage (and therefor constantly in sight of a bunch of prisoners and guards, even at night depending where you are) means you get ludicrous XP for sneak. And you can constantly practice lockpick on your own shackles and cage. Practicing thievery is a little harder without the 'drop stolen stuff next to you and pick it up again' exploit, but it still works. Basically the only thing you can't easily train is stats besides toughness. You can pick fights with the guards, but they kick your rear end so fast you don't get much XP besides the toughness. Other prisoners either try to escape or run screaming into another cage.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Dusdt Bandits keep showing up at my base for "Demands", but since I'm hostile to their faction, I can only attack them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

nm

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Dusdt Bandits keep showing up at my base for "Demands", but since I'm hostile to their faction, I can only attack them.

Demands met, sounds like

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
As a newer player this game didn't really click for me until I realized that my "character" was actually my credits, tech level, and faction reputation. The people I hired were expendable, and as long as I could hire more, the game could still continue. Is there a way to keep someone parked in a bar in a safe city and have him automatically buy food from the barkeep to feed himself?

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

As a newer player this game didn't really click for me until I realized that my "character" was actually my credits, tech level, and faction reputation. The people I hired were expendable, and as long as I could hire more, the game could still continue. Is there a way to keep someone parked in a bar in a safe city and have him automatically buy food from the barkeep to feed himself?

You could buy a shack in a safe city, build a food barrel and fill it with cheap food from time to time and have him sit there being safe.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I love Ruka so much

Where do you find Beep? I must meet them immediately.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

StrixNebulosa posted:

I love Ruka so much

Where do you find Beep? I must meet them immediately.

He usually hides out in Mongrel in my runs, the city in the middle of the Fog Islands.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

He usually hides out in Mongrel in my runs, the city in the middle of the Fog Islands.

Thanks!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Red spiders are *terrifying*

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Just fill them up with food and they will last for several days. Even after they run out it will take them a while to go hungry.

It is true that you are leveling a community more than a person. You can have 20 meat shields sitting around eating dirt, but as long as you have excess food production on farms it doesn't cost you anything.

That said if my original character ever died I would get vengeance for him no matter the cost.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Sleeping people don't need to eat, stick em in a bed

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Sleeping people don't need to eat, stick em in a bed

Pretty sure they still need to eat, they just lose hunger at a lower rate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Three times slower than normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
In the towns around the hub most of the weapon dealers have 2 locked weapon lockers at ground level. There are about 15 swords in one of the lockers ranging from 500 to 3.5k SELL value.
Even if you sell to the thieves guild, you make ~10k. Sending in one guy with a thieves backpack and good stealth (which is easy to train) and Hobbs with a giant backpack means it takes you 2 minutes to make 10k in every town you visit.
Hauling your 150kg loaded Hobbs to the next town and selling there also doesn't hurt.

After experiencing this exciting gameplay loop often enough, I ran my main char towards the holy nation and beat up some guards. They made me a slave. I lockpicked everything, stole things, ran away from guards for a bit, stole some more and ran off with a 50k bounty on my head.
Then Hobbs picked me up and turned me in. I escaped the cage, picked up Hobbs and we ran off with our 50k.

This game is incredible.