Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

TerminalSaint posted:

Marine Raiders, formerly the Marine Special Operations Regiment.

Also Marine Recon.

That said, the USMC is traditionally anti- elite; they prefer not to form elites into their own units. They prefer instead to keep especially good Marines with their units and promote them to bring up training, leadership, etc, across the board. It's only relatively recently that they've jumped onto the Special Forces bandwagon, and that's only because they were left out of the cool kids SpecOps club until they did so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It probably has something to do with SOCOM getting their own money pool to the point of having their own air force and what not, might as well get on that free money train.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/Tom_Antonov/status/1081503245942558720?s=19

o7

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

The French Foreign Legion wine in that pinned tweet looks kinda dope

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Cruiser Tank Mk.I

Queue: Cruiser Tank Mk.I, Cruiser Tank Mk.II, Valentine III and V, Valentine IX, Valentine X and XI, 7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR, Modern Polish tank projects, SD-100 (Czech SU-100 clone), TACAM R-2, kpúv vz. 34, kpúv vz. 37, kpúv vz. 38, IS-1 (IS-85), IS-2 (object 240), Production of the IS-2, IS-2 modernization projects, GMC M8, First Soviet assault rifles, Stahlhelm in WWI, Stahlhelm in WWII, SU-76 with big guns, Panther trials in the USSR, Western spherical tanks, S35 in German service, SU-152 combat debut, 57 mm gun M1, T-34 applique armour projects, Challenger I, military use of scale models

Available for request:

:ussr:
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85
Tank sleds
T-80 (the light tank)
Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers
DS-39 tank machinegun
MS-1/T-18
Kalashnikov's debut works
MS-1 production
Kalashnikov-Petrov self-loading carbine
SU-76M (SU-15M) production
S-51
SU-76I
T-26 with mine detection equipment
IS-2 mod. 1944
Airborne tanks NEW

:britain:
Archer
Avenger I

:911:
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR
HMC T82
Medium Tank M4A4
Hellcat
HMC M37
GMC M41

:godwin:
Jagdpanzer IV
Grosstraktor
Gebirgskanone M 15
Maus development in 1943-44
German anti-tank rifles
Panzer IV/70
Czech anti-tank rifles in German service
Hotchkiss H 39/Pz.Kpfw.38H(f) in German service
PzIV Ausf.F-G
Flakpanzer 38(t)
Flakpanzers on the PzIV chassis NEW

:france:
Hotchkiss H 35 and H 39

:italy:
FIAT 3000
FIAT L6-40
M13/40, M14/41, M15/42
Carro Armato P40 and prospective Italian heavy tanks

:poland:
Experimental Polish tanks of the 1930s

:eurovision:
Trials of the LT vz. 35 in the USSR

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BPD is a good starter metric, but with all the salt easily available I really want to see their MPM.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FastestGunAlive posted:

The French Foreign Legion wine in that pinned tweet looks kinda dope

le complex boulangerie-industriel

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Tunicate posted:

BPD is a good starter metric, but with all the salt easily available I really want to see their MPM.

mpm?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Libluini posted:

German Kampfschwimmer could probably pull that off. German marines though would attack in diving suits in the middle of the night, using underwater-night vision gear for maximum surprise, like some sort of swimming ninjas. (Those guys swim a lot.)

1942: German frogmen clashed with Soviet frogmen at a Tsemes Bay seaport at Novorossiysk.[2] The skirmish resulted in some knife battles underwater.[3]

Sounds rad as hell

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/luke_j_obrien/status/1081567164166037505

What's this about the Queen Elizabeth? Are they optimized for sausage roll manufacture or something?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My hard-republican voting Marine officer uncle, who had a bigass staff job at Kandahar early in the clusterfuck that is our Afghanistan campaign, told me with all seriousness that he would rather work with the French than the US Army. Apparently if you gave French officers strong coffee and something vaguely resembling a croissant they'd shut up and get on with whatever their jobs were because it was Afghanistan and they were there because a bad thing happened to an allied country.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 6, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

darthbob88 posted:

What's this about the Queen Elizabeth? Are they optimized for sausage roll manufacture or something?

"5000 industrial-sized kettles entirely for tea brewing."

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

steinrokkan posted:

1942: German frogmen clashed with Soviet frogmen at a Tsemes Bay seaport at Novorossiysk.[2] The skirmish resulted in some knife battles underwater.[3]

Sounds rad as hell

Wasn't this a scene in Top Secret?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
It’s part of the ending to Thunderball.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

chitoryu12 posted:

"5000 industrial-sized kettles entirely for tea brewing."

The most uncivilized people I've ever met were Englishmen denied access to a cup of tea.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The most uncivilized people I've ever met were Englishmen denied access to a cup of tea.

they're obsessed

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

So... Americans?

Now I'm imagining a WW1 tank trailing behind the rest without guns but lots of tea kettles to keep the supply lines intact.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Argas posted:

So... Americans?

:lol: you've never met an American at all

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

steinrokkan posted:

Sounds rad as hell

dude it sounds amazing. Dont softball such poo poo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

yeah, their MPM. The USN briefly converted the USS Georgia into a 'rita machine back in 2005, though it was only done for a week as an experiment mid-refit. I'm sure a carrier with dedicated equipment should have a higher sustained MPM than a submarine, even if they tied it directly into the sub's main propulsion system.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
In an alternate history the vehicles known as tanks were shipped in crates marked INDUSTRIAL COMPANY SIZED BREWING KETTLES.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SeanBeansShako posted:

In an alternate history the vehicles known as tanks were shipped in crates marked INDUSTRIAL COMPANY SIZED BREWING KETTLES.

This is more or less a thing that happened during the Cold War.

A British solider assigned to the Hong Kong-China border reported to his superiors that the Chinese were unloading a lot of tanks near the border. A suitably large troop of brass set out for the observer's position only to discover the Chinese were unloading a lot of metal water tanks. When bollocked, the anonymous squaddie replied, quite properly, that if he had meant tanks, he would've used the phrase "armored fighting vehicles".

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

I assume they're aging cheese down in the hold.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I've certainly never met a someone from England deprived of their tea.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Pounding on the table
We must not allow a baked goods gap! Get Krispy Kreme on the phone immediately.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
margaritas per minute

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

feedmegin posted:

First, the RN also had Scottish, Welsh and Irish officers. :colbert:
Oh, they certainly served. They just thought the German gunnery was shite.

By ethnic origin, Americans are Germans denied their beer. Although I hear that's gotten much better over the last few years.

Argas posted:

So... Americans?

Now I'm imagining a WW1 tank trailing behind the rest without guns but lots of tea kettles to keep the supply lines intact.
Every British AFV since Chieftain has been fitted with a Boiling Vessel intended to make water for tea. It can also be used for MREs or, if no officers are looking, chips. In the blasted nuclear hellscape of the late 1970s after one slip-up, British tank crews were supposed to be the most combat effective after 72 hours in their tank because they still had hot meals and tea. It's such a good bit of kit that the Americans bought it. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that it's the only non-American-designed piece of kit in the Bradley or the pre-A1 Abrams.

Britain takes its tea seriously.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I mean the BV has other uses too aside from tea, but I imagine that is the primary use for it.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

FrangibleCover posted:

Every British AFV since Chieftain has been fitted with a Boiling Vessel intended to make water for tea.

The primary use of the Chieftain's stabilizer was to put your cups of tea on the gun breach so they wouldn't spill when you were driving around.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

LatwPIAT posted:

The primary use of the Chieftain's stabilizer was to put your cups of tea on the gun breach so they wouldn't spill when you were driving around.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true because the primary purpose of the Chieftain's engine was to break every half an hour so you could stop and have a cuppa.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Kettles are the best thing, seriously. I can't believe hotels in America don't have kettles.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Back in November I got to go to a WW2 battleship in North Carolina and run around. I kinda felt like managing to fit all the day to day conveniences below decks was more impressive than when I was crawling around in one of the turrets.

When you're in around the gun's machinery, it's hardware first, stick some seats in and the humans can just figure out how to duck out of the way of anything important. When they were laying out the below decks, they had to make all these cramped spaces livable long-term with all kinds of things like a laundry facility, mail room, bakery, ice cream maker, and multiple kitchens in addition to more mission-critical systems. You're only going to be in battle for so long, but you're going to be living in the ship for months on-end.

And man, there were a lot of steep stairs. I don't envy the sailors that had to take shells up and down those. I didn't get an opportunity to see the upper decks either because it started raining.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LatwPIAT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYI6gOc-3vQ

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Fangz posted:

Kettles are the best thing, seriously. I can't believe hotels in America don't have kettles.

There were some posters in the UK DnD thread who were absolutely convinced this was because American power outlets literally weren't powerful enough for electric kettles. It was like. . . dudes, do you really not understand not everyone needs or wants the same appliances? I guess that's just the same mistake everybody's always made about others, that is assuming that if others were capable of doing so, they'd do everything the way we do.

Anyway, the reason American hotels and kitchens don't have electric kettles is we need the counter space for a coffee maker. Space is limited so you have to make trade-offs.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FrangibleCover posted:

By ethnic origin, Americans are Germans denied their beer. Although I hear that's gotten much better over the last few years.

Hmm. Trump is a teetotaler German-American, so you may have something here.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

I've seen this video a whole bunch of times and never noticed that he leaves a gigantic head on the beer which has deflated somewhat by the time the tank is seen in motion. It's still impressive stabilisation but you can see the beer itself is quite considerably disturbed in motion, not least by the acceleration and deceleration of the vehicle that the gun isn't stabilised against. It's just that there's enough space in the stein for it to wobble without spilling.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Squalid posted:

There were some posters in the UK DnD thread who were absolutely convinced this was because American power outlets literally weren't powerful enough for electric kettles. It was like. . . dudes, do you really not understand not everyone needs or wants the same appliances? I guess that's just the same mistake everybody's always made about others, that is assuming that if others were capable of doing so, they'd do everything the way we do.

Anyway, the reason American hotels and kitchens don't have electric kettles is we need the counter space for a coffee maker. Space is limited so you have to make trade-offs.

A coffee maker without beans in it to ruin the output is a kettle.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Squalid posted:

Well I guess if they think that England's grotesquely oversized plugs are necessary to heft all that water-boiling electricity around, I guess they'd immediately think that America's svelte outlets can't carry enough umph.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Multiple UKers I've met have been concerned that plugs might fall out of puny American outlets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

From what I remember, they did did feel wiggly as hell compared to others (NZ in my case), but that's OK because they don't carry 240v. And while it isn't the reason for the coffee dominance in the US, Kettles on a normal 120v setup are a lot more feeble than on a 240v setup.