Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

on the other hand, a sous-vide is actually a simple device that should cost $30

bring it on, china

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one unreasonably annoyed by calling an immersion circulator a sous vide? I mean, at least half of people who cook sous vide these days aren't actually cooking sous vide anyway. And now that's what we're calling the device that's made for it. It's very triggering. I'm going to need a moment.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It tweaks me too, but I recognize that it’s not a windmill worth tilting at. It isn’t usually ambiguous as to whether it’s the water bath or being sealed under mild vacuum that’s at issue.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Hopper posted:

Amazon is generally going down the drain woththe large number of weird chinese "brands" they allow on their store. I tried searching milk frothers or whatever you call them and I neveer heard of or would trust 9 out of 10 search result brands with weird names...

This has been an increasing problem with Amaton in general and I now buy my stuff local or elsewhere as a result.

Agreed. In fact I was just mentioning this to my wife yesterday when looking for a simple 2-slice toaster. The first dozen or so results all had 5-star reviews, none I recognized the brand of, none read like an english speaker wrote the descriptions. Makes me suspect all of the negative reviews on the known-brand stuff as well.

Amazon needs to get a handle on this somehow or their ratings credibility is irreparably shot to hell.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hasselblad posted:

Amazon needs to get a handle on this somehow or their ratings credibility is irreparably shot to hell.

They are sort of trying, but it's more like they've created their own hellscape.

quote:

As Amazon has escalated its war on fake reviews, sellers have realized that the most effective tactic is not buying them for yourself, but buying them for your competitors — the more obviously fraudulent the better. A handful of glowing testimonials, preferably in broken English about unrelated products and written by a known review purveyor on Fiverr, can not only take out a competitor and allow you to move up a slot in Amazon’s search results, it can land your rival in the bewildering morass of Amazon’s suspension system.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/19...Mt9F_jjtUfEMYqY

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hauki posted:

i gotta say, saying "wancle" aloud makes me think of some foot-themed sex toy

It's like an SNL parody skit making fun of the products. No native speaker would ever look at selling a wancle unless they're competing with fleshlight.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Wife got me a vacuum sealer for Christmas. Any tricks I can do with it? Or best uses? It has a marinate button does that work? I was happy with using ziplock but this does make me feel more confident in bags not failing especially when I'm really stuffing.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You can fill a bag with soup, seal it without vacuuming, and sous vide* it that way.

*Okay, technically not sous vide.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

RandomPauI posted:

You can fill a bag with soup, seal it without vacuuming, and sous vide* it that way.

*Okay, technically not sous vide.

It’s not Sous vide, it’s Tout L’Air.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If I owned a grill I'd take a picture of a vacuum cleaner on its lid with the caption "technically sous vide"

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I like the idea of par-cooking a lot of meat in a sous vide and then roasting/searing them to peoples preferred doneness.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

sterster posted:

Wife got me a vacuum sealer for Christmas. Any tricks I can do with it? Or best uses? It has a marinate button does that work? I was happy with using ziplock but this does make me feel more confident in bags not failing especially when I'm really stuffing.

I'm p. sure the marinate button is for sealing meats and juices in jars and using the magic lid to speed "marinate."

https://genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/pressuremarinade.html

I mean, how does this even:

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 31, 2018

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

sterster posted:

Edit: I forgot which thread I was in and provided some general vacuum sealer tips at which point I realized that I have not used my vacuum sealer for Sou Vide and probably should.

Vacuum sealers are great! I use mine for a few things. There is a canning attachment to help remove air when canning which is useful. Another big benefit over ziplock is that you can boil the bags easy, so to heat up anything you vacuum sealed just toss the whole bag in boiling water. They also freeze well, on some long camping trips I would layer vacuum sealed food bags in the cooler, fill the whole thing with water and take it to a walk in freezer and freeze the whole mess solid. I also think vacuum sealed food keeps better for longer.

crazystray fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 1, 2019

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

toplitzin posted:

I'm p. sure the marinate button is for sealing meats and juices in jars and using the magic lid to speed "marinate."

I mean, how does this even:

the knob on the top is a valve. you pump it down, and then twist the valve shut. The marinate button on my sealer pulses to not pull too much vacuum.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Question: If I bought a NY Strip on Saturday and SV'ed it (Vac sealed!) on Sunday. Ate one on right away and left the other one vac sealed in the fridge, is it still ok to eat on Tuesday?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Feenix posted:

Question: If I bought a NY Strip on Saturday and SV'ed it (Vac sealed!) on Sunday. Ate one on right away and left the other one vac sealed in the fridge, is it still ok to eat on Tuesday?

Depends entirely on the condition it was in when you bought it, but unless it was on the edge of going bad you should be fine.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm introducing my family to sous vide with massive inch thick bone in ribeyes.
My grandma wants it well done which I can accommodate but still I'm stoked to blow their minds

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Did someone say thick, bone-in ribeyes?

I will not be cooking either of these well done tonight.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

poverty goat posted:

I enjoy your dog peering up at meat in all your posts

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

poverty goat posted:

Jesus loving Christ please post the results.

Speaking of results, I had to hide my improvised potatoes (which was a hit) under the meat because the plates were small, but my 86 year old v sick grandma hasn't eaten this much in a while, and praised me the whole time :3:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I need to figure out how to create a seal around the bone so I can do tomahawk steaks with comically large ribs. Maybe I can just pin the bags open to the sides of the cambro somehow.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I took a couple of cross sections but the gremlin in my phone made them all blurry, so you'll have to take my word that it was medium rare.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

EvilBeard posted:

the knob on the top is a valve. you pump it down, and then twist the valve shut. The marinate button on my sealer pulses to not pull too much vacuum.

I meant how does a vacuum help that meat barely sitting in marinade marinate better because "magic"?

It doesn't

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have some (thawed in fridge) fully cooked pork belly from Costco that is vac-sealed and the box said to SV it to bring it to temp. Any recommendations on a good temp and time? It's sliced, so not very thick.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So I got a breville smoke gun for Christmas and did hickory smoked thick cut steaks rare with the Anova. Amazing. Next time I’ll do it longer to get a smokier taste though the recommended 5 minutes I feel wasn’t enough. Or maybe I smoke it then bath it rather than the other way round.

Anyone done anything with a smoking gun and sous vide it too? Or just the smoking gun? (I’m not game to go into a smoking bbq thread for fear of being laughed out of town)

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Wife keeps choosing things like boneless chicken thighs to do with her xmas Joule. This after I attempt to hint over and over that steak, really thick steak, would be good to do.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

teacup posted:

So I got a breville smoke gun for Christmas and did hickory smoked thick cut steaks rare with the Anova. Amazing. Next time I’ll do it longer to get a smokier taste though the recommended 5 minutes I feel wasn’t enough. Or maybe I smoke it then bath it rather than the other way round.

Anyone done anything with a smoking gun and sous vide it too? Or just the smoking gun? (I’m not game to go into a smoking bbq thread for fear of being laughed out of town)

I love duck breasts vizzled, a little smoke would probably elevate them nicely.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

teacup posted:

Technically it is slow smoking thread, not limited to BBQ smoking. I mean electric smokers are not BBQ but plenty use those.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

teacup posted:

Don't have or ever used a smoke gun. But have done some SV bbq. I've found that smoking meats after they have been cooked more difficult to get a lot of smoke flavor into. From what I've read is that it's more difficult for cooked proteins to take on smoke flavor. Don't know how much flavor you can impose with the smoke gun or if it will last though the puddle process. That's the only bit of advice I can offer.

Or you could do what the fancy restaurants do and just mimic it by filling up a cloche with the smoke prior to serving so you get hit in the face with the smell when you open it.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Am I the only one unreasonably annoyed by calling an immersion circulator a sous vide? I mean, at least half of people who cook sous vide these days aren't actually cooking sous vide anyway. And now that's what we're calling the device that's made for it. It's very triggering. I'm going to need a moment.

"A sous vide" has never made sense anyway. The term describes the method of cooking. The reason people call immersion circulators "sous vides" is because people like us define "a sous vide" as "a device you use to cook something sous vide."

xtal fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 6, 2019

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Also re the wancle 850W is pretty weak - aim for a 1000-1100W heating element.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Note to self: to ensure truth in advertising, store my Nomiku on the shelf under the Dyson V6.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RoastBeef posted:

Also re the wancle 850W is pretty weak - aim for a 1000-1100W heating element.

My Anova is 850W and I haven’t really felt it to be annoyingly slow since I started filling the Cambro with hot water. It doesn’t seem to struggle to keep anything at temp, even if I toss a frozen steak in during a long short rib cook. What’s the practical difference between 850W and 1000W in your experience? How much faster does it heat your water volume, or what additional volume are you cooking at?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I am loving that the half pork shoulders I smoked, vac sealed and froze I can simply plop in a pot with my Joule and just let it go all day. I am now in the habit of taking the bulk meat we get, portioning it and vac with herbs and stuff before freezing.
HOW DID I LIVE WITHOUT THIS?

Question:
I picked up a Morton's Steak House tri tip. Would it be a good candidate for a 72 hour bath?

Question part Deux:
Does elevation affect doneness of beef? Did 2" filet last night at 132F and while expecting medium rare it came out rare. We're at 6500ft

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Altitude shouldn't matter at all in that situation, temperature is temperature. Altitude changes boiling points and due to atmospheric pressure, so things like pasta or hard boiled eggs would have a different cooking time due to the boiling temp of water changing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Gonna puddle an Akaushi Wagyu NY Strip Tomorrow. I'm already salivating.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

I remember a period right after I got the Anova where I thought it was undercooking beef a lot. It turns out I just wasn't very obsessive about temperature before, and my standard "medium rare" was a lot closer to medium than I thought.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Totally Reasonable posted:

I remember a period right after I got the Anova where I thought it was undercooking beef a lot. It turns out I just wasn't very obsessive about temperature before, and my standard "medium rare" was a lot closer to medium than I thought.

It still feels like that to me when I cook chicken, after like 5 years of SV cooking.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Inspector 34 posted:

Altitude shouldn't matter at all in that situation, temperature is temperature. Altitude changes boiling points and due to atmospheric pressure, so things like pasta or hard boiled eggs would have a different cooking time due to the boiling temp of water changing.

Would you get more evaporation of water at high altitude at any given temp, resulting in a drier steak?

Edit: now realize this is opposite of the problem he described.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Would the pressure experienced by the food differ much? I feel like the pressure from the water is the big term in that equation, but IDK what the equation actually is.