Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

morallyobjected posted:

is 128 GB reasonable for a micro SD card? I'm probably gonna be buying mostly physical, but I got a couple games like Mario Kart and BotW digital and 64 seems small.

always go slightly bigger than you think you need (don't tell my SO this :ssh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i started with a 128 card but i don't own a single physical switch game so i ended up getting a 256 card a few weeks ago. i know i don't need everything installed all at once but... but i want to

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

morallyobjected posted:

is 128 GB reasonable for a micro SD card? I'm probably gonna be buying mostly physical, but I got a couple games like Mario Kart and BotW digital and 64 seems small.

You should be fine with that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Silver Snail posted:

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I was somewhat concerned about whatever rewards you get from splatfests drying up after those end, but seeing as nobody brought that up, it must be a non issue. Gonna get the game soon! :woomy:

Oh, those would be Super Sea Snails. All the just do is open up slots on your gear for abilities or just rerolling the existing abilities on the gear. (Each piece of gear has 3 slots, so you may need to spend 1 or 2 to open them up, or none at all.) You can get up to 24 at a time from a Splatfest, but eventually leveling up gives you a snail for every level you get.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/torriangray/status/1081329450321473536

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Why are there so few videos on the American eShop. Even for Nintendo first party games like New Super Mario Bros U? If you go to the JPN shop there are SO many more videos.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

Why are there so few videos on the American eShop. Even for Nintendo first party games like New Super Mario Bros U? If you go to the JPN shop there are SO many more videos.

If I had to guess, TV advertisements during anime are still a big thing so they have the assets available.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Speaking of videos, why is there only a Hulu and a YouTube app? Even the 3DS had Netflix.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Is Lego Harry Potter prone to crashing or should I start to worry about my Switch?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sudden Javelin posted:

Is Lego Harry Potter prone to crashing or should I start to worry about my Switch?

It’s probably the game if you haven’t noticed any other games crashing.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sudden Javelin posted:

I don't think anybody has a straight answer; Nintendo and Netflix both say they're obviously interested but never specify what the hangup is, presumably some licensing term so blame whichever party you'd like. YouTube only came recently.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Valstrax is tough

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sudden Javelin posted:

Every one of the Lego X games, all the way from the original Lego Star Wars and on every console I've played them on, have a tendency to crash and it will probably never be fixed.

Their "fix" was to add a checkpoint every time you change rooms so you can load that without losing too much progress.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I don't think anybody has a straight answer; Nintendo and Netflix both say they're obviously interested but never specify what the hangup is, presumably some licensing term so blame whichever party you'd like. YouTube only came recently.

Considering every other console has it, I’m assuming this is a case of Nintendo being real stupid about online stuff again.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Gripweed posted:

Valstrax is tough

Valstrax is an amazing jet dragon with a great theme. I almost always enjoy fighting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOlPIHIe2rM

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Speaking of videos, why is there only a Hulu and a YouTube app? Even the 3DS had Netflix.

I just assumed this was because Switch doesn't support HDCP. Netflix cares more about people being able to rip 1080p versions of their content off of Switch HDMI output compared to getting whatever the 3DS quality streams were.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ziddar posted:

Valstrax is an amazing jet dragon with a great theme. I almost always enjoy fighting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOlPIHIe2rM

It can attack anywhere! No matter where you are in relation to it it has some super fast attack that can take you out!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I beat the Valstrax and oh my god Monster Hunter Generation Ultimate's ending cutscene owns

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I beat the Valstrax and oh my god Monster Hunter Generation Ultimate's ending cutscene owns

it doesn't feel as hilariously out of nowhere as the one in Generations did but it's still amazing

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Please god someone help me get the Holy Cow in the Taurus level of Katamari Damacy. I just got big enough to roll it up, made it all the way to the forest, waited for it to show it self, ran into it, knocked it away, and I swear to loving god almighty the thing just disappeared. I can get the size, but how do you catch this thing?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Anyone dealt with buying a replacement ZL/ZR ribbon?

I was doing a shell swap and the metal cage on the ZL actuator popped off and got lost. All the replacements I've found have reviews stating they require a lot more force to trigger. I was hoping to find ones that have a similar level of force to the original actuators.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I know it's nothing new with Mario Kart (I remember all too well my Mario Kart Wii days), but it is downright loving spiteful how many times you get hit with everything in the last ten seconds of the third lap in Mario Kart 8, just in time for the computer to grab 1st

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Okay, something is seriously wrong. I got to the Holy Cow, I knocked it over, I stayed in the same physical space as it while it tumbled, but when it should have stuck to my Katamari it just ceased to exist. I don’t know if it fell through the floor or despawned or what but it’s just gone. Has anyone ese had this happen? If so, did you find a fix?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

I know it's nothing new with Mario Kart (I remember all too well my Mario Kart Wii days), but it is downright loving spiteful how many times you get hit with everything in the last ten seconds of the third lap in Mario Kart 8, just in time for the computer to grab 1st

There's a known formula for how likely it is that you'll get certain items in relation to your position. In 1st you're gonna get a coin or a banana. As you move further back your odds of getting a super star, bullet bill, or blue shell go up and until at 12th place it's a dead certainty. It's definitely not your imagination.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Imagined posted:

There's a known formula for how likely it is that you'll get certain items in relation to your position. In 1st you're gonna get a coin or a banana. As you move further back your odds of getting a super star, bullet bill, or blue shell go up and until at 12th place it's a dead certainty. It's definitely not your imagination.

oh, I know that. it's just that they never actually seem to use the things in full force until the last 5-10 seconds when I have no chance of catching back up before the finish. it's especially painful when it happens on the last course of the cup.

plus I'm only on 150cc. I can't imagine things are going to get better in Mirror and 200cc.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
The ai doesn't feel any trickier in those modes, your main concern is not repeatedly hitting the track walls

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Anyone had an issue where the game card port refuses to click a game cartridge in place?

If I push the card in, it will always spring back out. I can still manage to play a game by holding the cover down, but I can feel it applying force against it, and if the cover ever snaps I'll lose the ability to play cartridges.

Just started happening the other day for me, annoyingly 30 or so days past the 1 year warranty period. Switch is in perfect nick, never dropped and not even used all that much.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I'm havin' a prophecy here.

Nintendo will host a Direct on Wednesday, January 23rd 2019.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Isometric Bacon posted:

If I push the card in, it will always spring back out. I can still manage to play a game by holding the cover down, but I can feel it applying force against it, and if the cover ever snaps I'll lose the ability to play cartridges.

If that ever happens, you could probably use a piece of duct tape to hold the cart in.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

today i played smash and mario kart online with friends from a bunch of different australian states and it was as close to busting out a switch at a rooftop cocktail party as ive ever gotten

in conclusion the switch is awesome

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Ariong posted:

If that ever happens, you could probably use a piece of duct tape to hold the cart in.

Yeah but then it'll be a pain to remove and replace games... I'd love to go all digital, but with the prices in the eshop...

I might try calling Nintendo. Australian consumer law is supposed to cover things like this for a 'reasonable expected lifetime'. Don't like my chances though.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

morallyobjected posted:

oh, I know that. it's just that they never actually seem to use the things in full force until the last 5-10 seconds when I have no chance of catching back up before the finish. it's especially painful when it happens on the last course of the cup.

plus I'm only on 150cc. I can't imagine things are going to get better in Mirror and 200cc.

From what I've seen the AI can't quite cope with 200cc.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Just gotta always be dragging a banana peel or shell behind you. At least in MK8 there's a chance to pick up the super horn from an item box while in first, which can blast blue shells

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s probably the game if you haven’t noticed any other games crashing.

Did have one weird thing yesterday. The sound was really static-y. Noticed it during Smash. Decided to do a hard reset and was then forced to because the Switch crashed when I went back to the menu. But the reset did fix it.

Been reading that being on ethernet heats the Switch up, don't know if that could affect anything? I've unplugged the ethernet as a precaution for now unless I'm playing online or downloading

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm havin' a prophecy here.

Nintendo will host a Direct on Wednesday, January 23rd 2019.

I hope so.

Haven't they usually been on Thursdays though?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Healbot posted:

From what I've seen the AI can't quite cope with 200cc.

This is pretty true, the AI gets really sloppy in 200, and it's more about hitting your lines and not getting lazy and throwing races away. Brake drifting becomes a full-fledged thing in 200, and half of 200 is just remembering which turns you can't actually drift though at speed. And yeah, also doing all that while holding down the trigger to drag a shell or a banana on defense.

200 ruled and time trials were actually a lot of fun, which is a mode I never bothered with in any other MK but fully cleared in MK8.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Whoa whoa whoa

I can use my pro controller for my PC?!

Guess I don't need to buy Binding of Isaac for the Switch

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Whoa whoa whoa

I can use my pro controller for my PC?!

Guess I don't need to buy Binding of Isaac for the Switch

yeah steam supports it natively so you don't need any weird drivers or anything

https://steamcommunity.com/games/353370/announcements/detail/1648757912601251834

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Steam even lets you use the gyro to aim, I've started using it for ranged weapons in Monster Hunter World and it's incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
OK, I need help figuring out how to use external controllers on the Switch. The Pro alone works fine, but when I plug in a Gamecube USB adapter, only the first Gamecube controller I activate will work. On the pairing screen of the Switch menu, I can press a button on the other controllers and make them appear, but then I can't actually do anything with them except the first one. Also, if I plug in more controllers to the adapter, even the first active one stops working.

I'm confused. Help?

EDIT: Scratch that, I'm a big idiot who forgot that YouTube existed. If anyone else is having problems, this guy explains how to do it well.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 6, 2019