Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The behavior you're seeing now is the normal, generally more desirable behavior. Having your windows move around every time you switched your monitors on/off would be loving obnoxious. You can use winkey + P to force everything onto a single monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hmm, fair enough I guess. I use a 60 inch 1080p TV as a second monitor (more like a room TV) to play games on, as the main monitor is 4K and my aging founders 1070 just can't do anything with it.

It was super convenient to just turn off the primary monitor (which I wouldn't use during gaming anyways) and have everything automatically switch over, then start the game, done and done.

It also seemed like games behave better when it only detects one monitor vs. having to set for a specific monitor out of a multi-monitor setup, but that may be a solved problem and I'm just not with the times.

Trocadero
Aug 23, 2012
I bought a Dell S27DGF and the thread was rigth, that must be one of the best TN panels there is. It is miles better than IPS monitor I use at work, but the work monitor is a cheap poo poo so that is not a big surprise.

Viewing angles are very good, colors as well. The jump to 144Hz was surprisingly noticable, everything is buttery smooth. I was worried that I wouldn's be able to drive it with my poor old RX480 but as I play mostly older games it's not a problem for me. Witcher 3 looks good, Doom was the smoothest gaming experience I had in my life.

Overall all the thumbs up, would buy again.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Walked posted:

Anyone have the LG 32GK850G?

How bad is text in terms of crispness? This seems like the fuckin perfect monitor for me but I also do a lot of code and crisp text matters to me at least a little bit.

I really dont want to try to figure out how to side-by-side this and a 4k IPS.

The IPS glow on my current 32" is just too distracting in games, though :(

I have the FreeSync 2 version (32GK850F), which I assume is the same panel, alongside a 32" 4k (32UD59-B) and I generally prefer the GK for programming and general use. That isn't to say I don't love the 4k's real-estate and the text is certainly 'crisper' purely from a resolution point of view, but the GK is very comfortable to use where I sit about 3-4' away, the text is perfectly fine and 144hz is nice for desktop use.

And it's obviously better for gaming - I have the 4k as a secondary monitor for work-related financial things at no UI/text scaling (Bloomberg terminal works super well at 4k). I'm no expert and this is really just subjective I guess, but I'm happy with it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Taima posted:

Hmm, fair enough I guess. I use a 60 inch 1080p TV as a second monitor (more like a room TV) to play games on, as the main monitor is 4K and my aging founders 1070 just can't do anything with it.

It was super convenient to just turn off the primary monitor (which I wouldn't use during gaming anyways) and have everything automatically switch over, then start the game, done and done.

It also seemed like games behave better when it only detects one monitor vs. having to set for a specific monitor out of a multi-monitor setup, but that may be a solved problem and I'm just not with the times.

If you're only using one just set it to clone and it won't matter.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Can you just disable your primary display in the NVidia control panel, rather than turning it off physically?

*I haven't tried this and only have one monitor, so it might be totally off base.

E: Win-P is the same thing, but faster!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 5, 2019

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

okay so i have the predator xb1 27" monitor. i've noticed whenever i wake up from sleep mode. the very middle of the screen (~about 2-3 pixels) worth gets shifted entirely to the left of the monitor. so the exact middle is actually "cut out"

has anyone seen this kinda issue before? restarting my computer fixes the issue so it's not exactly defective (unless it's firmware).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It's a known issue with earlier firmware for all of the 27" 1440/144 gsync monitors using that panel (Acer, ASUS, and AOC, I think). From the number of reports that cropped up in this thread last time it was discussed, it might even be an issue with newer firmware, too.

Fortunately, you don't have to restart your whole computer - just turning the monitor off and back on will fix it. Mine comes and goes, but usually only happens once every couple of days or so, not every time it wakes from sleep.

Acer had a free firmware update program a few years ago, but that requires sending your monitor to Acer to flash and I'm not sure if it's still going. Mailing the monitor is probably more hassle than just cycling the monitor power every once in a while!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

thanks that worked. im glad it doesn't require a restart

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Actually you don't even need to turn it off and on. Just switch resolutions. If I wake it up and it happens (its fairly uncommon), I just right-click, display settings, change resolution to something random, and then revert instead of keep. Takes like 5 seconds and fixes it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Switching inputs works, too, but hitting the power button twice seemed the simplest for lazy bastards like me!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Stickman posted:

It's a known issue with earlier firmware for all of the 27" 1440/144 gsync monitors using that panel (Acer, ASUS, and AOC, I think). From the number of reports that cropped up in this thread last time it was discussed, it might even be an issue with newer firmware, too.

my dell does this too

Stickman posted:

Switching inputs works, too, but hitting the power button twice seemed the simplest for lazy bastards like me!

yes, this is considerably faster than doing any sort of resolution change or anything unless for some reason youre sitting so far back from a 27 inch monitor you cant reach it. definitely just power it on/off

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Farecoal posted:

I'm still using a S200HL from 2012 for my desktop. I'd like to upgrade to 2015 by getting a 1080p display. I'm currently using a 750 Ti, if that matters. I'm not sure what a sane price is, but I don't need any fancy features

VelociBacon posted:

I think this one is a bit nicer. It's 75hz not 60hz, it's cheaper, it's black and thin bezel'd. And if you have a newer AMD card or ever get one you can Freesync with it. IMO the sligggghtly smaler 21.5" from the 23" screen you listed just means it'll look nicer due to increased pixel density.

This looks pretty nice for my needs too! Will there be a problem running games at 60 fps on a 75hz screen though?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

No but you'll want to run them at 75fps since the monitor can do it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Moatman posted:

New Samsung stuff at CES https://news.samsung.com/global/samsungs-new-2019-monitors-are-designed-for-modern-workspaces-and-next-generation-gaming
Monitor w/ integrated arm that's supposed to save space, but I dunno how it actually would be vs a normal arm.

They are not comparing it to a third party arm, they are comparing it to a standard stand. This could be a useful option, I bet most people aren't even aware you can use separate arms. It's also nice you won't need to pay and store a stand you don't intend to use, and pay notable amount for the new arm. A monitor arm probably costs peanuts if it comes with the monitor.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The first BFGD is launching in February for the low low price of Five Thousand American Dollars

:stonklol:

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

DisplayPort 1.4
HDMI 2.0

Same bandwidth issues as the 4K/144hz monitors, just dumb.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

To be fair I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference between 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 at TV viewing distances, but on the other hand lol at accepting any compromise at that price point.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Some people are saying it only has 8-bit with FRC to make matters even worse.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

repiv posted:

To be fair I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference between 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 at TV viewing distances, but on the other hand lol at accepting any compromise at that price point.

Exactly, I’m not paying $2000 for a monitor or $5000 for a TV just to get chroma subsampling. LG announcing 4K/120 OLED panels using HDMI 2.1 VRR doesn’t help either, I’m sure they will be less than $5000.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
What options do you have if you want a 50+ inch monitor that meets PC demands? 4:4:4, low input lag, etc.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Welp...
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13791/nvidia-ces-2019-keynote-live-blog-starts-at-8pm-pt0400-utc

read in reverse

quote:

12:20AM EST - There's going to be a big difference in outcomes if manufacturers have to pay to get their adaptive sync/freesync monitors approved for NV's ecosystem

12:20AM EST - I'm very curious if NVIDIA is charging manufacturers for this. NVIDIA has traditionally (and quietly) charged for value added features

12:19AM EST - They're being classified as "G-Sync Compatible"

12:19AM EST - Driver coming January 15th

12:19AM EST - Though it looks like they'll only support the monitors that pass their tests? This point is not clear

12:18AM EST - So NVIDIA is finally delivering VESA adaptive sync support

12:18AM EST - NVIDIA is going to test all adaptive sync monitors, and will support them!

12:18AM EST - NVIDIA tested 400 monitors. 12 of them "passed" NVIDIA's standards

12:17AM EST - Thus far Jensen is pointing out some of the problems they've seen with these monitors

12:16AM EST - NVIDIA has gone out and tested all the available VESA adaptive sync enabled monitors

12:15AM EST - "We've been looking at the [VESA] adaptive sync market for several years and thinking about how we can help it"

12:15AM EST - Jensen is talking about VESA adaptive sync?

12:14AM EST - G-Sync Ultimate confirmed. This would seem to be NVIDIA's official branding for what we've been calling G-Sync HDR up until now

12:11AM EST - G-Sync Ultimate?

12:11AM EST - "We're now on our third generation"

12:11AM EST - Jensen is recapping the launch of the original G-Sync tech back in 2013

12:10AM EST - Now switching gears to G-Sync

12:10AM EST - "It's the perfect size"

12:10AM EST - NVIDIA's system integrator partners will also be offering the card in systems right away

basically some freesync monitors will get gsync support

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Strong Sauce posted:

Welp...
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13791/nvidia-ces-2019-keynote-live-blog-starts-at-8pm-pt0400-utc

read in reverse

basically some freesync monitors will get gsync support

Wow, interesting. I'm eyeballing a GPU + Monitor upgrade this year so this will be of great interest.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
Hopefully it gets hacked to hell so it works with any freesync monitor. Did they say which gen cards are gonna support it? I'm on a 960 and my Dell 2001FP is getting a bit old and cranky. I'd rather not pay for a premium leather jacket.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Announcement post in more readable form

Approved monitors:

ffffffFFFFFFF now I need to buy an XV273K

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Looking at the approved monitor list it is like they were testing alphabetically and got to B and said eh gently caress it :haw:

Just was reading the rtx 2060 info, looks like a solid option from my gtx 970!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

karoshi posted:

Hopefully it gets hacked to hell so it works with any freesync monitor.

I’m hearing that you’ll be able to manually turn it on for non-approved monitors too, so you should be OK.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Hello I am looking for some monitor advice please. I'm planning on getting a new PC soon which I posted in the PC part thread for advice so things may change, but for the moment this is the build I'm going for:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/g9cq8Y

I'm wanting to get a new monitor for this build but I am even more clueless when it comes to those than PC components. I've had my eye on this monitor for a while which looks good to me:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B19T7QC/

A friend suggested that instead I should get a 1400 monitor though, and looked on Amazon but I'm just very overwhelmed by everything so I'm open to suggestions. My budget would be maybe double what the monitor I linked is if any of you heavily suggest a different monitor to that.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

RoboJoe posted:

Hello I am looking for some monitor advice please. I'm planning on getting a new PC soon which I posted in the PC part thread for advice so things may change, but for the moment this is the build I'm going for:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/g9cq8Y

I'm wanting to get a new monitor for this build but I am even more clueless when it comes to those than PC components. I've had my eye on this monitor for a while which looks good to me:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B19T7QC/

A friend suggested that instead I should get a 1400 monitor though, and looked on Amazon but I'm just very overwhelmed by everything so I'm open to suggestions. My budget would be maybe double what the monitor I linked is if any of you heavily suggest a different monitor to that.

That video card is kinda overdimensioned for a 1080p monitor, and the one you linked is a TN panel which is going to have pretty terrible viewing angles and colors. Ideally, to make the most out of your video card, you want an IPS panel, 1440p, 144Hz and variable refresh rate, which until a few hours ago meant G-sync. The go-to option would be the Acer XB271HU, which is that, and usually retails at around £550-600. However, these recent developments have shook things up a bit and it might be worth waiting until January 15th to see some reviews of this new Nvidia FreeSync support thing - it might be possible to find a cheaper alternative that's about as good as the XB271HU.

eames
May 9, 2009

Nvidia VRR support is great news.

What's the visual difference between Freesync 2 with LFC and G-Sync anyway, assuming classic non-HDR 1440p and both have the same refresh rate range? I read about variable overdrive but do panels even use it? Maybe also lower input lag?

I own a (budget) G-Sync panel and it is nice but after the recent news there's no way I'd buy another one when Freesync/G-sync Certified panels are far cheaper, offer more inputs and have no vendor lock-in.

I'd also like to know if G-Sync Ultimate is the same actively cooled FPGA hack as in current 4K/144Hz monitors or a new, premium solution with an ASIC.

eames fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 7, 2019

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
AFAIK there's no visual difference, but Freesync range is usually more limited than G-sync, but how limited depends on the monitor - Freesync tends to have a higher minimum framerate. Looking at the TFTCentral reviews of the LG 34GK950F and 34GK950G (same monitor in Freesync and G-sync variants) the Freesync one has about ~10ms input lag while the G-sync one has none. One and a half frames, ish, at 144Hz. Not too big of a deal IMO but if you're hardcore twitch gamer you might care about every millisecond you can get. In return though the Freesync variant does 144Hz and supports 10-bit color while the G-sync one only does 120Hz and 8-bit color. The Freesync panel also has a few other advantages in that case, but I'm not sure how much of that would also apply to other monitors. Will be interesting to see the review of the Acer XB271K and compare to the XV273K, since the XV273K is on the list of supported Freesync monitors.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 7, 2019

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

karoshi posted:

Hopefully it gets hacked to hell so it works with any freesync monitor. Did they say which gen cards are gonna support it? I'm on a 960 and my Dell 2001FP is getting a bit old and cranky. I'd rather not pay for a premium leather jacket.

Unapproved monitors or untested ones will have a switch available to turn it on manually. No hacking necessary.

"For gamers who have monitors that we have not yet tested, or that have failed validation, we’ll give you an option to manually enable VRR, too."

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

So what would a go to 27" high refresh ips panel be if freesync is supported on nvidia?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

So what would a go to 27" high refresh ips panel be if freesync is supported on nvidia?
I'd wait for CES to run its course until next week fwiw.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Any thoughts between ASUS and Alienware for an Ultrawide?

Was looking at getting the Alienware AW3418DW -- but Asus has it's rival in the ROG Swift PG348Q. My understanding was that Alienware has better QC than Asus does (at least if Amazon reviews are to be considered)?

I run a 1070 Ti; I know that Nvidia just announced their Freesync support, and I have about a month before I'm ready to buy a new monitor anyhow, so would it be worth eyeing like the ASUS ROG Strix XG35VQ? (This might be hard to answer until we see how well the drivers handle it)

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

eames posted:

I'd also like to know if G-Sync Ultimate is the same actively cooled FPGA hack as in current 4K/144Hz monitors or a new, premium solution with an ASIC.

They showed the two FPGA hack monitors + the HP BFGD as examples of GSYNC Ultimate. So take that FWIW

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

The Slack Lagoon posted:

There's pretty much only two options widely available on the market right now - the Acer XF270HUA (bmiidprzx) (jfc Acer what is the deal with these names) and the Asus MG279Q. Both of them were launched ~3 years ago and they're not that much cheaper than the standing recommendation (XB271HU). Probably not worth buying at the moment. Acer is launching two new models right around now though, both 144Hz with wide color gamut support - the VG271U and XV272UP. It's very unclear what the differences are, and there are no reviews for either yet as far as I know though. The XV272UP is starting to show up at retailers here at ~500€, while the old standard XB271HU is hard to find under 700€, but I dunno about American prices and I haven't seen the VG271U yet.

Wait and see, I guess is what I'm saying. There's probably going to be a lot of new reviews coming out soon.

Fake edit: in markets where the Dell AW3418DW has never fallen in price and is still at its original - and rather spicy - retail price of 1500€, the LG 34GK950F is starting to look like a really interesting alternative starting around 1100€.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

eames posted:

Nvidia VRR support is great news.

What's the visual difference between Freesync 2 with LFC and G-Sync anyway, assuming classic non-HDR 1440p and both have the same refresh rate range? I read about variable overdrive but do panels even use it? Maybe also lower input lag?

I own a (budget) G-Sync panel and it is nice but after the recent news there's no way I'd buy another one when Freesync/G-sync Certified panels are far cheaper, offer more inputs and have no vendor lock-in.

The 2 biggest advantages Gsync has over Freesync are:

1: Variable Overdrive

2: Typically support VRR all the way down to 1Hz, where as Freesync monitors usually don't go lower than 30Hz. Not that this matters because lower than 30 looks so awful that even VRR won't help.

I am also not sure if Nvidia will support HDR on a Freesync monitor.

Edit: Sorry I got distracted when I was posting this and forgot what I was going to say:

As far as I know, most if not all Gsync panels use the variable overdrive.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 7, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo it's an orthodox Christmas miracle!

Does anyone have or had experience with Philips 436M6VBPAB? It's kind of huge but on the other hand 4K and HDR and VRR now. Though it's an MVA panel apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

TheFluff posted:

That video card is kinda overdimensioned for a 1080p monitor, and the one you linked is a TN panel which is going to have pretty terrible viewing angles and colors. Ideally, to make the most out of your video card, you want an IPS panel, 1440p, 144Hz and variable refresh rate, which until a few hours ago meant G-sync. The go-to option would be the Acer XB271HU, which is that, and usually retails at around £550-600. However, these recent developments have shook things up a bit and it might be worth waiting until January 15th to see some reviews of this new Nvidia FreeSync support thing - it might be possible to find a cheaper alternative that's about as good as the XB271HU.

Thank you, it seems the Acer you mentioned is out of my pricerange though, it's closer to £700. Are all 1440 monitors at this price?

With regards to the one I linked, I don't understand the viewing angle thing though, it should be in front of me as I'm using it for a PC, is this a problem? Will it not work with the graphics card I selected because it is a TN panel? (Which I don't know if is for definite yet, I'm hoping for a reply in the PC part thread.)