Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A contested Dem primary in 2024 has some bad implications about what happens in or after 2020.

We're gonna let Bernie finally retire after he uh, passes M4A and puts Gritty on the Supreme Court, okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh my god if they ever make a time machine I''m not going back any farther than 1980.

https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1081678782887612416

These two posts being so close to one another, it's like a message from god.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lemming posted:

If they thought that was effective, it's what they would have been doing. Trump is Trump because he's that dumb. He doesn't know how to do anything but yell the crazy evil poo poo out loud. I don't think anyone else would have beaten Clinton because nobody else could shamelessly go full racist idiot like he did.

Idk, Tucker Carlson is full on racist God-Emperor of /pol/ lately. Dude definitely has no shame

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Grapplejack posted:

If they really gave a poo poo they'd drop the F-35's modular aircraft thing and just make like 4-5 different ones with similar enough parts that repair and maintenance wouldn't be hamstrung that much. But, it's the Pentagon, which has never had any good ideas about military equipment, so

Little late for that now, sadly.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Idk, Tucker Carlson is full on racist God-Emperor of /pol/ lately. Dude definitely has no shame

He has no shame, but he's also a gormless buffoon. Man is the avatar of mediocre white men failing upward. His career is one long string of gaffes and idiot fuckups, but he keeps climbing the ladder because he appears to be the only male conservative media personality who can go more than a week without committing sexual assault.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Tucker would have to dedicate 100% of his concentration to not drooling on himself while staring like a deer in headlights at literally any opponent while they savage him over his stupid loving bow tie because he's a doofus loving chode.

Edit: in retrospect no one should be rapidly oxidized in a tire filled with gasoline.

bij fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 6, 2019

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a lot of advanced aeronautics stuff that goes into high performance military jet aircraft that isn't easily transferable to civilian markets because the demand just isn't there.

I think a better argument is that conservatives are completely silent on the costs and waste of the military without even attempting to argue that it should be privetized; why is the US military and military healthcare allowed to be socialized because of national security interest but nothing else if the argument could be made? Like how the British began instituting reforms because the British Army was unable to get healthy recruits as the population was suffering from widespread malnutrition.

There isn't a single aspect of domestic policy that you couldn't make this argument for.

Story time! My buddy is a firefighter in california. At the time I was in the army, during the off-season he tweaked his knee while running. My first thought was "just go into the hospital and get it checked out, spending a day making sure you're ok is worth your time". Then I went "oh poo poo you have to deal with insurance and bullshit and its the offseason so you only get partial coverage or some crazy poo poo" and so he ended up getting an ace wrap and avoiding walking on it for a few days. Luckily, despite the pain he wasn't seriously injured, but it is possible that it could have been bad enough to effect his job.

Apart from just the increased health and increased chances of catching preventable problems before they end up costing poo poo-tons of extra money to take care of, having a socialized healthcare system improves the mental health of people. Even if you don't think about it, there is a ton of extra stress when you consider injuries and if you're going to be able to pay for it, or the people who have trouble paying for insurance or finding a plan that isn't turbo-loving them.

The step from "I'll hope this isn't a problem and that my body can heal on its own" to "just go get it checked out" is huge in terms of impact to the person, but not huge in terms of what it would cost. For the financial argument, just look at costs for preventative treatments versus late term interventions (ie dietary and medicine for kidney/heart problems versus a replacement kidney/heart).

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

He's also got no charisma. He's only got the slot he does on Fox because Bill O'Reilley was so loving awful that they had no choice but to boot him. He failed upwards, he's not going to inspire a new generation of chuds.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Karl rove looks like a chubby toddler with a wig on dancing like he just got the polio braces off his legs.

https://twitter.com/bretterlich/status/1081271799000616960?s=21

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
any chance the dems show some spine and let him own this or nah

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

cargo cult posted:

any chance the dems show some spine and let him own this or nah

I mean it's hard not to when Trump keeps yelling "THIS IS MY WALL SHUTDOWN"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Grapplejack posted:

I mean it's hard not to when Trump keeps yelling "THIS IS MY WALL SHUTDOWN"

He isn’t going to get any money for his stupid wall. The key is to get McConnell to own it though, since he is actually the one loving it up at the moment.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, he's trying to blame them, but he keeps framing it was "they won't fund the wall, so I gotta do a shutdown" which is not how you take control of the narrative.

The last poll was what, a 51/37 split on blaming him vs. the Dems?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, he's trying to blame them, but he keeps framing it was "they won't fund the wall, so I gotta do a shutdown" which is not how you take control of the narrative.

The last poll was what, a 51/37 split on blaming him vs. the Dems?

Yeah and only 25% want the wall at all. People are blaming the Dems because “they should just let him have it” like he is (accurately) a toddler screaming for another scoop of ice cream.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Stereotype posted:

It is insane how many problems would be fixed if we had a 90% top marginal tax rate. Basically all of them. Name a problem and I’ll explain how a 90% top marginal tax rate would fix it.

How will a 90% top marginal tax rate help me fall in love? :smith:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Triskelli posted:

How will a 90% top marginal tax rate help me fall in love? :smith:

One of the hardest parts about relationships is money and once we redistribute the hoarded wealth then it’s one less thing to worry about :)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

Story time! My buddy is a firefighter in california. At the time I was in the army, during the off-season he tweaked his knee while running. My first thought was "just go into the hospital and get it checked out, spending a day making sure you're ok is worth your time". Then I went "oh poo poo you have to deal with insurance and bullshit and its the offseason so you only get partial coverage or some crazy poo poo" and so he ended up getting an ace wrap and avoiding walking on it for a few days. Luckily, despite the pain he wasn't seriously injured, but it is possible that it could have been bad enough to effect his job.

Apart from just the increased health and increased chances of catching preventable problems before they end up costing poo poo-tons of extra money to take care of, having a socialized healthcare system improves the mental health of people. Even if you don't think about it, there is a ton of extra stress when you consider injuries and if you're going to be able to pay for it, or the people who have trouble paying for insurance or finding a plan that isn't turbo-loving them.

The step from "I'll hope this isn't a problem and that my body can heal on its own" to "just go get it checked out" is huge in terms of impact to the person, but not huge in terms of what it would cost. For the financial argument, just look at costs for preventative treatments versus late term interventions (ie dietary and medicine for kidney/heart problems versus a replacement kidney/heart).

I fell down the stairs a couple months ago and sprained my ankle so bad it was the size of a baseball. It hurt so bad, I put a dent in the bead board wall with my fist while writhing in pain. I iced that sucker, wrapped it tight as I could, had my mom drive over with half a bottle of leftover and probably expired Codeine tablets and pounded about 6 of the fuckers (I have a really high tolerance to pain meds). At one point, I started punching myself in the head to distract myself from how bad it hurt.

I STILL didn't go to the hospital, because my deductible is like $6k. I'm decidedly not poor, but who the gently caress can afford that? I'm lucky as poo poo it seemed to heal okay.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

KillHour posted:

I fell down the stairs a couple months ago and sprained my ankle so bad it was the size of a baseball. It hurt so bad, I put a dent in the bead board wall with my fist while writhing in pain. I iced that sucker, wrapped it tight as I could, had my mom drive over with half a bottle of leftover and probably expired Codeine tablets and pounded about 6 of the fuckers (I have a really high tolerance to pain meds). At one point, I started punching myself in the head to distract myself from how bad it hurt.

I STILL didn't go to the hospital, because my deductible is like $6k. I'm decidedly not poor, but who the gently caress can afford that? I'm lucky as poo poo it seemed to heal okay.

Okay, I will never again complain about healthcare in Australia.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

just go to a hospital, did you cut your nose of after that?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

downout posted:

just go to a hospital, did you cut your nose of after that?

I'm sorry, I don't have thousands of dollars laying around for that and I don't feel like spending the next few years paying off that debt at credit card interest rates.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!
The primary reason college became expensive as gently caress is the easy availability of student loans.

Now imagine throwing the F-35 program's budget at the problem. What exactly do you think will happen to college tuitions, other than "astronomically increase"?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KillHour posted:

I'm sorry, I don't have thousands of dollars laying around for that and I don't feel like spending the next few years paying off that debt at credit card interest rates.

If you can't afford to go to the hospital for something like that you are poor

Like I don't mean this as a slight, I think a big part of the problem in the US is that everyone considers themselves middle class and acts like their situation is fine or manageable. That's hosed up. You were personally stolen from by the wealthy in this country.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

The primary reason college became expensive as gently caress is the easy availability of student loans.

Now imagine throwing the F-35 program's budget at the problem. What exactly do you think will happen to college tuitions, other than "astronomically increase"?

We have free college in NY. Tuition hasn't skyrocketed.

Caros
May 14, 2008

KillHour posted:

Late last year I woke up at about 4am covered in hives. At the time I hummed and hawed over whether I wanted to go to the hospital, before finally deciding to when I realized the extent of the hives.

By the time I got to the waiting room, I could no longer breath and had to be intubated to keep breathing while they pumped me full of of epinephrine and whatever else.

If I had lived in the states wherw I had to ponder spending thousands on something that felt like an uncomfortable itch, I would almost certainly be dead.

For profit insurance is a loving crime.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

KillHour posted:

Ding,

My father got in a car accident a few years back. They're just digging out of the hole now 5 years later.

A reminder most people cannot come up with$3000 dollars for an emergency. If you can you are privileged.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

enraged_camel posted:

"Now for my next trick, let me explain to you how it was giving black people loans that caused the 2008 meltdown!"

College became expensive as gently caress because the states quit funding it and turned that into loans instead. Also the admin salary arms race which requires them to spend ludicrous amounts on facilities upgrades to justify what they're being paid.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!

Harik posted:

"Now for my next trick, let me explain to you how it was giving black people loans that caused the 2008 meltdown!"

College became expensive as gently caress because the states quit funding it and turned that into loans instead. Also the admin salary arms race which requires them to spend ludicrous amounts on facilities upgrades to justify what they're being paid.

Predatory loans did cause the 2008 meltdown, along with a host of other factors.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

A reminder most people cannot come up with$3000 dollars for an emergency. If you can you are privileged.

Forget about three grand, the boilerplate statistic is that 40% of Americans have less than $500 on hand for an unexpected emergency.

That's a lot of temporarily embarrassed millionaires.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

you said

quote:

I'm decidedly not poor
and I just took that to mean that you could afford it. my bad. That said if you have a 6k deductible, then that's a high cost insurance plan and you qualify for an HSA. I assumed your employer was paying into that, especially with the quote about "I'm decidedly not poor". So I was confused, cuz I've had all those, and I'm decidedly poor because we all are, we've just been trained to think we aren't.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

downout posted:

you said

and I just took that to mean that you could afford it. my bad. That said if you have a 6k deductible, then that's a high cost insurance plan and you qualify for an HSA. I assumed your employer was paying into that, especially with the quote about "I'm decidedly not poor". So I was confused, cuz I've had all those, and I'm decidedly poor because we all are, we've just been trained to think we aren't.

I'm not them, but there's a lot of HSA eligible plans where the employer doesn't put one red cent into the HSA, like mine. I can fund it myself, though.

My wife has even worse options, did you know there's $6k deductible plans that somehow aren't HSA eligible?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Tuition increase at state universities is almost 1 to 1 related to state budget cuts. Free college also doesn't mean "just pay whatever the colleges want to charge."

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Harik posted:

That, and research funding hasn't grown to match enrollment.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

downout posted:

you said

I can be both "not poor" and also "not have 6 grand lying around." I have an HSA, but my employer doesn't contribute to it. It's possible to have a good salary and poo poo benefits.

Edit: and the only reason I mentioned that part was to drive home the point that everyone except the super rich suffers from our dumbass healthcare system. It has no redeeming qualities.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 6, 2019

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

enraged_camel posted:

Predatory loans did cause the 2008 meltdown, along with a host of other factors.
No, they in fact did not.

Predatory loans did not cause the meltdown, period. They did not contribute to the meltdown, period.

100% of the meltdown was caused by loan repackaging into securities, those securities being falsely overrated, then the entire system going into shock and refusing to lend because nobody had any idea who had what on their balance sheet anymore. Predatory loans and "normal" loans all failed at higher than expected rates when the bottom dropped out.

The securities being traded and overvalued could have been orange juice futures for all it mattered to the underlying failure.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

enraged_camel posted:

I wish AOC could read this post so she could smite you with an awe-inspiring tweet

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

KillHour posted:

Not to mention that if some out-of-network randos saw you during your hospital visit, you'd be billed full freight for their services, and that cost wouldn't even count toward your deductible.

People in other countries--or the privileged in our own--have no idea how dysfunctional the status quo in healthcare is for those who don't have single-payer insurance like medicaid or medicare. ZypherIM is dead-on in describing the mental-health distress over not being able to afford care--even with insurance coverage.

So yeah, when I hear "progressives" bleating about the taxes single-payer would entail, or insisting that the ACA is perfectly fine (once we restore the mandate to purchase private insurance), I get a little tetchy. The GOP is hopeless on the issue, so I focus my ire on those who could change the status quo but who choose to continue to insist that everything is fine.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Harik posted:

No, they in fact did not.

Predatory loans did not cause the meltdown, period. They did not contribute to the meltdown, period.

100% of the meltdown was caused by loan repackaging into securities, those securities being falsely overrated, then the entire system going into shock and refusing to lend because nobody had any idea who had what on their balance sheet anymore. Predatory loans and "normal" loans all failed at higher than expected rates when the bottom dropped out.

The securities being traded and overvalued could have been orange juice futures for all it mattered to the underlying failure.

Fraudulent loans certainly were a part of it. People had million dollar houses as bartenders. Banks were fraudulently handing out loans like candy because they could securitize them. Then they could pay themselves like kings because they conjured a million dollars out of thin air.

It isn’t the borrower’s fault of course, but the loans themselves were the whole meltdown.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Willa Rogers posted:

Not to mention that if some out-of-network randos saw you during your hospital visit, you'd be billed full freight for their services, and that cost wouldn't even count toward your deductible.

This. I have "good" employer insurance and it still bankrupted me to the tune of 25k in deductable, double-secret-deductable and out-of-network driveby billing. I've got a treatable condition (arterial-venus malformation in my brain) that will eventually kill me and there's zero chance I'm going to get anything done about it because I don't have another 20-30k and I can't go bankrupt again for another 5 years or whatever the new "gently caress you, poors" period is.

Again, that's with insurance.

gently caress everyone involved in for-profit healthcare with a MRSA laced catheter.

Stereotype posted:

Fraudulent loans certainly were a part of it. People had million dollar houses as bartenders. Banks were fraudulently handing out loans like candy because they could securitize them. Then they could pay themselves like kings because they conjured a million dollars out of thin air.

It isn’t the borrower’s fault of course, but the loans themselves were the whole meltdown.
Again, had nothing to do with the meltdown. It didn't matter if everyone lived in houses they could afford or everyone was in way over their head and speculating, the fault was misrating securities as perfectly safe when they weren't. If the bundles were appropriately rated for the expected non-performance percentages then there would have been no gigantic meltdown. It could have been anything being traded, the failure was the mis-rating leading to the complete freeze of commercial paper and the whole house of cards fell over.

It's often repeated, because it seems like mortgages don't get paid -> banks crumble is a logical progression, but mortgages don't get paid all the time and we don't get a 2008-level meltdown every week.

Strippers getting NINJA 5-year balloon loans for million dollar houses was a symptom, not a cause.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

enraged_camel posted:

lol, do the one about raising the minimum wage next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A contested Dem primary in 2024 has some bad implications about what happens in or after 2020.

oh i meant senate