Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think alot of people were disappointed that that the suit that was badass in TNO doesn't do poo poo in TNC. Also it's psychologically affecting when your total health can't go past 50.

The Old Blood is still my favorite. I always liked the occult and body experimentation of the original and that at least has it. Plus it doesn't bite off more than it can chew with the racism stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The new wolf games have been tonally progressing more towards opposite extremes, and I don't think it's working well. TNO set a good balance between dark humour and legitimately evil but still human Nazis. TOB ramped up the goofiness with the nazi grunt banter and Rudi Jäger, but also ended on an apocalyptic grim note. TNC comes out swinging with a ludicrously dark and savage takedown of nazi America, but after the decapitation it swings wildly in the opposite direction and the game feels like it jackknifed in the process.

I'm not saying that there's no place for humour in the new wolf games, but it needs to be more subtle, like BJ's gaffes in Old Blood where he puts his magical arsenal into a chest or he plays with a skull and drops it. The Nazis in TNC are more like whiny pissbabies compared to the ones in New Order who are loathsome. It's the difference between grunts chatting about reporting their neighbors for being degenerates and getting a coffee later and grunts complaining about how they can't deal with terrorists using reasonable discourse. The latter might be a relevant joke but it makes the Nazis feel more like caricatures than actual people who deserve to die.

i mean, id agree with that. the nazis in TNO were people, awful people, but people. 2 has some moments of that. like with some of the nazis chatter on the u boat and other places. i mean to be fair. the nazis were whiny piss babies.

GUI posted:

BJ remaining mostly oblivious to American bigotry is easily one of the most annoying things about the writing. During the J scene in TNO and the first half of TNC it's tragic - he's so desperate to believe people like his father are a rarity -, but later on in the Horton scene with the drunken argument in the second half it shows he's learned nothing and he comes across as an absolute douche. They try to hint that maybe his faith in America has been shaken with that one line when he kidnaps the actor, but it's never followed through then the game ends. Unlike all the issues I have with this game this could've been easily fixed but I guess spending money on that Anya titty scene was more important???

i mean i get where you are coming from but i am ok with BJ having a captain america type attitude where he still believes in the "ideals" of america even though the real thing is far from it. i think he gets that people were monsters and rolled over for the nazis and even wanted them there, its just he still believes there are people who are willing to fight back.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i get where you are coming from but i am ok with BJ having a captain america type attitude where he still believes in the "ideals" of america even though the real thing is far from it. i think he gets that people were monsters and rolled over for the nazis and even wanted them there, its just he still believes there are people who are willing to fight back.

Yeah this is kind of the way I've interpreted it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah this is kind of the way I've interpreted it.

its like real life. yeah there are alt right chuds and GOP shitheads, but we also swept the house and trump is loving hated by most people. yeah, there are alot of facist shitheads out there but give enough regular folk hope and show them the monsters face for long enough and they will toss them on their asses. like i am a lefty history nerd and i still believe in the "ideals" of america, sure we have never lived up to them and probably never will but they are good ideals.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
My mom's 72-year-old SO is generally there with bells on for anything that involves shooting, Nazis, or shooting Nazis, so I picked up a cheap copy of TNC for him for Christmas. So far, he's gotten lost five times.

Gotta admit, playing on the easiest difficulty does turn it into the Nazi-shooting power fantasy I was hoping for when I first picked it up.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnJBoHVdihg

This is the best video I've watched trying to dissect what TNC was going for.

This video is actually really good.

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007
This is slightly aside from the topic but the YouTube Producer who did that, Errant Signal does excellent reviews and analysis of games of your into that

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hamburger Sandwich posted:

This is slightly aside from the topic but the YouTube Producer who did that, Errant Signal does excellent reviews and analysis of games of your into that

Adding to that, check out his video series on 0451, aka "System Shock and Deus Ex inspired games".

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I keep forgetting the Battle Walker was even a thing with how pointless it was outside the bonus perk if you did the side mission. During my first playthrough I went with that shoulder charge "upgrade" and it rarely killed anyone, most of the time they just fell on the ground and would shoot me in the back. The stealth upgrade was the only somewhat decent one.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Where does Old Blood fit in the timeline? Is it a "remake" of Rtcw or is it just very similar events to that game that takes place after it?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
BJ talks about facing off against Ubersoldats in the X-Labs right in the second level of Old Blood, so RTCW is still canon.

TOB happens right before TNO, though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The incorporation of the old with the new is all intentionally vague and muddled. Caroline, for example, came from Wolf09 but there's never any talk of the weird, supernatural ghost poo poo they went through.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You could argue that she didn’t see the Veil dimension stuff (because she physically couldn’t), although she’d have seen its manifestations in the real world (veil-powered weapons and super-soldiers).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
All of the Wolfenstein games from 3D onwards are canon to an extent.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's a shame the creator of the original stealth games is dead already.

quote:

A 1983 hack named Castle Smurfenstein which replaces the Nazis with Smurfs is regarded as one of the earliest examples of the art mod

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Where does Old Blood fit in the timeline? Is it a "remake" of Rtcw or is it just very similar events to that game that takes place after it?

It happens just before TNO and isn’t a remake of RTCW. Both happen.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, I decided to replay a little of The Old Blood today and got the line about Deathshead's X-labs.

I got a bit confused because the opening of The Old Blood plays out just like the Opening to RTCW

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It’s also got some weird overlap - in TOB you literally infiltrate Castle Wolfenstein, which looks a hell of a lot different from the Castle Wolfenstein from RtCW.

Also your contact Kessler from the Kreisau Circle in TOB is a character from RtCW, and not only does he look completely different, there’s no mention of you having met each other before.

I got nothing. :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
RTCW is 1942, Wolf'09 is 1943, and by 1946 the Nazis in Old Blood had gotten their hands on Da'at Yichud technology and completely overhauled Castle Wolfenstein.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The third Machinegames entry could still pull out a wild time travel/alt dimension thing to reconcile not just pre-TNO games but also the two timelines from TNO.

Basically Enter the Spider-verse but with 5 BJs and a hell of a lot of dead nazis

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Humerus posted:

The third Machinegames entry could still pull out a wild time travel/alt dimension thing to reconcile not just pre-TNO games but also the two timelines from TNO.

Basically Enter the Spider-verse but with 5 BJs and a hell of a lot of dead nazis
The two BJs from both timelines, the Blazko sisters, Commander Keen, and Doomguy.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

In my mind, there are two continuities: One consists of RtCW and Wolf09 while the other consists of Wolf09 and the new games. Wolf09 is clearly both a sequel to RtCW and a prequel to TNO, but there's no way that TNO and RtCW take place in the same universe. There are way too many similarities between RtCW and OB (characters, locations, narrative) for OB to be anything but a re-imagining of RtCW. It would be absolutely ridiculous, even for a Wolfenstein game, for BJ to lose a partner while infiltrating Castle Wolfenstein, meet up with a resistance fighter named Kessler, fight a female occultist named Helga (who is at odds with a sniveling pencil-pusher), visit Wolfburg, battle zombies in a crypt, and put down the ancient evil the Nazis were trying to raise, not once, but twice. As far as I'm concerned, references to the X-labs and other RtCW elements in the new series are just wink-nudge easter eggs rather than an acknowledgment that RtCW is canon to this particular continuity.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jimmy Noskill posted:

In my mind, there are two continuities: One consists of RtCW and Wolf09 while the other consists of Wolf09 and the new games. Wolf09 is clearly both a sequel to RtCW and a prequel to TNO, but there's no way that TNO and RtCW take place in the same universe. There are way too many similarities between RtCW and OB (characters, locations, narrative) for OB to be anything but a re-imagining of RtCW. It would be absolutely ridiculous, even for a Wolfenstein game, for BJ to lose a partner while infiltrating Castle Wolfenstein, meet up with a resistance fighter named Kessler, fight a female occultist named Helga (who is at odds with a sniveling pencil-pusher), visit Wolfburg, battle zombies in a crypt, and put down the ancient evil the Nazis were trying to raise, not once, but twice. As far as I'm concerned, references to the X-labs and other RtCW elements in the new series are just wink-nudge easter eggs rather than an acknowledgment that RtCW is canon to this particular continuity.
Alternatively only the half of RTCW we're you're fighting Deathshead is TNO canon.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Humerus posted:

One Blascowicz is enough. I feel like there is nowhere for his character to go. TNC would have been a fitting end for him but I felt like the narrative poo poo the bed after those events.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

blackguy32 posted:

One Blascowicz is enough. I feel like there is nowhere for his character to go. TNC would have been a fitting end for him but I felt like the narrative poo poo the bed after those events.

Yeah. The sequel should have been with a new character, or one of the supporting chars.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jimmy Noskill posted:

It's a video game, these things happen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Freedom Chronicles were a mistake when the main game desperately needed some epilogue material.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Freedom Chronicles were a mistake when the main game desperately needed some epilogue material.

I think that's what the New Blood is. The Freedom Chronicles were still a mistake though. I loved this game and couldn't bring myself to play that DLC.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jimmy Noskill posted:

How many times has Mario gone to the Mushroom Kingdom, fought through a series of thematically-unified regions and castles until beating King Bowser and rescuing the Princess?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

One of the things TNO/TOB (and even TNC) did well is that they're pretty simple stories carried by the character writing. Trying to add convoluted time travel/merging of dimensions or whatever would just overcomplicate things and ruin the simplicity of its predecessors.

Some of the weirdness that happens when you put RTCW/W09 (and maybe 3D's if you're feeling feisty) in the same canon as the MachineGames Wolfenstein titles never mattered much to me. I think it adds to BJ's "tired of this poo poo, let me finish this and die" attitude in TOB/TNO if you consider them part of the same canon. If you think about it too hard you'll just go insane and end up like the Wolfenstein wikia people who have 4 separate timelines for RTCW/W09*/MGWolf.

* Does anyone remember the Fourth Reich sideplot that was introduced in the Wolfenstein 2009 motion comics in case it did well and Raven got to continue the franchise. No? No one?

GUI fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 6, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I take all the games as canon and just use mentally ambiguous time lines. The gist being that poo poo from 3D, RTCW and 09 is “stuff that BJ did/happened to BJ” and let the games pick up from there. I think that’s the designer’s intention as well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

blackguy32 posted:

As long as one Nazi is still breathing, there are places for BJ to go. :colbert:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

For sure. I regret buying the Freedom Chronicles, and I love the main game, warts and all.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

God loving dammit, I decided to go for the Mein Leben achievement today and reached the final battle on my first try only to get killed by one of the quad shotgun wielding super soldiers. :argh:

Maybe next year.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I honestly can't imagine a worse use of my time other than actually getting tortured and it sounds pretty close.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Wolf 09 was a blast, far better than any of these new games

TNC is especially infuriating because there is a great game underneath, except it's 5 minute gameplay sessions between a lovely movie

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So there’s been nothing about Youngblood since the announcement?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Probably will get more after Rage 2 is out, since there'll be a bit of a gap for Bethesda published stuff then.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

texting my ex posted:

Wolf 09 was a blast, far better than any of these new games

TNC is especially infuriating because there is a great game underneath, except it's 5 minute gameplay sessions between a lovely movie

Nah TNO is the good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Nah TNO is the good one.

TNO but with some of the things 09 did better would be optimal.