Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Why didn't the counties I'd seeded with Hellenic communities convert when I brought the cult out into the open? My capital converted, but it appears none of the other 20+ counties with communities did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Disillusionist posted:

The risk with that strategy is that it brings you closer to having a border with the Abbasids, who will invade you soon after you gain a border with them. I actually don't remember if I nabbed part of the Shia realm or not when I played my successful Karen run, but it's something you have to consider when you start moving west.

Yeah, the Abbasids and the Samanids (who, again, love to opportunistically attack you) are the big risk of attacking your Shia neighbors there. Though, they also have the Sassanid bloodline family as vassals if I recall correctly, which you'll probably want to mix into your own line eventually because it compliments your Parthian blood well, so that's another perk of conquering them.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Communist Walrus posted:

Why didn't the counties I'd seeded with Hellenic communities convert when I brought the cult out into the open? My capital converted, but it appears none of the other 20+ counties with communities did.
Did it finish establishing the community? It takes a while. And I think it's somehow tied to the ruler, too.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

best nickname?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Communist Walrus posted:

It seems when you make the decision to openly convert, only your counties will flip. It doesn't matter if the person who owns the county is also secretly Hellenic, it's only stuff you directly control. Leads me to believe that when you hit the button it doesn't even have the scope to check for other member's controlled counties. Rather annoying that it can't even grant you a conversion buff or something.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

OctaviusBeaver posted:

A Purple Phoenix style mini-expansion for the Normans would be pretty sweet, those guys were everywhere.

Pah! They’re just vikings in suits!

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

FELD1 posted:

I very much appreciate this link. I'm descended from Normans...

This is pretty common for most people with a European background. Danny Dyer of all people is a direct descendant of William the Conqueror.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, that far back, pretty much everybody with any descendants at all has a shitload of them

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

FELD1 posted:

I very much appreciate this link. I'm descended from Normans, so I've been trying to find more good info about them (at least more than the occasional Wikipedia article). They're also my fav culture to play, and I have a tendency of ruler designer-ing them into silly places.

Real life got all the way to Sicily so I’m pretty sure no place is too silly to put them

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Palemdromes posted:

Real life got all the way to Sicily so I’m pretty sure no place is too silly to put them

Vikings got to Azerbaijan and The Greeks got to Pakistan. People move about a lot.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Strudel Man posted:

Did it finish establishing the community? It takes a while. And I think it's somehow tied to the ruler, too.

Yes, the counties I'm talking about all had the Hellenic community modifier. The modifiers persist from ruler to ruler, so if it's dependant on that then the UI is either very deceptive or very uninformative (also none of the counties I'd established communities in with my then-current ruler converted).

Eimi posted:

It seems when you make the decision to openly convert, only your counties will flip. It doesn't matter if the person who owns the county is also secretly Hellenic, it's only stuff you directly control. Leads me to believe that when you hit the button it doesn't even have the scope to check for other member's controlled counties. Rather annoying that it can't even grant you a conversion buff or something.

Man, I really hope that's just a goof in the code.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is there any reason to go feudal as an African emperor when you aren't saddled with gavelkind instead of just staying tribal forever?

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Wow, thanks for all the advice folks. I was able to take my first Karen ruler from Duke hugging the Caspian Sea to the king of Daylam. Fortunately I didn't have much trouble expanding West because after I finished absorbing the shia states the Abbasid caliphate lost all but their core territory in Upper Mesopotamia.

Things are going to be tricky now that my first king died and his son is still in a Regency. While I couldn't do anything about it the Abbasid's are stitching themselves back together and my most powerful and rebellious vassal just successfully won a holy war for Khoresan.

One last question: how do I make zoroastrian Divine marriage work? There's exactly 1 kid in the 2nd generation who doesn't have one of the negative purple genetic traits. At least I'll be able to introduce some diversity into the Gene pool because the Caliph's sister is in my dungeons and will soon enough be my new rulers concubine.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Communist Walrus posted:

There's quite a few annoying but not game breaking bugs in the current game. For example if you pick enatic clans on reformation, when switching to female god names some of them are left blank leaving you with just a missing god name. The Greek god names for Hellenism are similarly bugged where when you reform as Greek after a save and reload they lose the spaces between them. As well when you play as a female character, you can't change your characters hair, as that feature is broken for women.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is there any reason to go feudal as an African emperor when you aren't saddled with gavelkind instead of just staying tribal forever?

Income is a lot higher, and better quality troops

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Do I lose the OP African inheritance system if I go feudal?

Though I am emperor so that would just mean all my kingdoms would be spread out among the kids which isn't too much of a bother.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

You can keep eldership as long as your religion can support it through doctrine. So yes.

My first African game I didn't know you could just bribe people to support your candidate. That was way harder!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

FreudianSlippers posted:

Do I lose the OP African inheritance system if I go feudal?

Though I am emperor so that would just mean all my kingdoms would be spread out among the kids which isn't too much of a bother.

Depends. If you use the unique African pagan doctrine, or the general Ancestor Worship doctrine that allows eldership succession, then you won't lose it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The elders always seem to choose whoever I want or at very least someone I don't mind and they always keep it consistent over my six or seven kingdoms. Even if I'm juggling several kingdoms they never seem to mess it up by all choosing my moronic syphilitic nephew who eats people or something like the vassals usually do when I've played elective.

Maybe I'm just really lucky.

Now I've gotten to the point where I'm too big to fail so I'll probably go with a very aggressive war oriented reformation so I'll have something to do for the next 400+ years other then going to parties and building up my holdings. You know go north and conquer the north of the continent.

Maybe even attack Europe and set up some colonies.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 6, 2019

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Communist Walrus posted:

I'm looking it over now, it and it does appear that it's supposed to convert every place with a secret community, whether it's your own demesne or not. There's a part right in the decision where all realm rulers who were part of the cult flip their demesne, and it fires an event for realm rulers who weren't a member of the cult to do the same...I take it there must be a problem with the code, but it's not immediately clear to me what the problem is.

It uses a lot of trigger switches; maybe they aren't working right. I'm also a bit surprised that they haven't been offloaded to a scripted effect, because it makes for messy code.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 6, 2019

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So I discovered an error with my little crown mod. Apparently this can happen and I have no idea how that happened or how to fix it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Eimi posted:

So I discovered an error with my little crown mod. Apparently this can happen and I have no idea how that happened or how to fix it.

Ran into this yesterday when I was replacing the Outremer female crowns with French ones (pretty much for the same reason you were, French ones looked slim and regal while the Outremer ones looked like loving wedding cakes). There's a line below the layer list for each portrait type (this part):

code:
"GFX_character_background:p0"
"GFX_byzantine_female_clothes_behind:p3:c0"
"GFX_byzantine_female_headgear_behind:p5:c1"
"GFX_norse_female_hair_behind:p1:h:y"
 etc.
that says something along the lines of "hats that hide hair ( 0 1 2 3 4 5 )" or something. Each number corresponds to a different crown, delete the numbers for the ones you want to show hair underneath. 9 and 10 are for helmets IIRC, so you probably want those to keep the hair hidden.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Ran into this yesterday when I was replacing the Outremer female crowns with French ones (pretty much for the same reason you were, French ones looked slim and regal while the Outremer ones looked like loving wedding cakes). There's a line below the layer list for each portrait type (this part):

code:
"GFX_character_background:p0"
"GFX_byzantine_female_clothes_behind:p3:c0"
"GFX_byzantine_female_headgear_behind:p5:c1"
"GFX_norse_female_hair_behind:p1:h:y"
 etc.
that says something along the lines of "hats that hide hair ( 0 1 2 3 4 5 )" or something. Each number corresponds to a different crown, delete the numbers for the ones you want to show hair underneath. 9 and 10 are for helmets IIRC, so you probably want those to keep the hair hidden.

Is this in portrait properties? Or just portraits?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Eimi posted:

Is this in portrait properties? Or just portraits?

just portraits, I believe, which means you gotta do it separately for every portrait GFX file. :(

EDIT: just checked, it's in interface/portraits, below the hair_color_index and eye_color_index for each portraitType. For the Outremer females I just set it as headgear_that_hides_hair = { 9 10 }. Pretty sure 10 is helmets, while 9 is for Intrigue outfits -- so you might want to turn that on or off for each culture, depending if headgear 9 is a hood/veil or just a hat.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 7, 2019

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

just portraits, I believe, which means you gotta do it separately for every portrait GFX file. :(

EDIT: just checked, it's in interface/portraits, below the hair_color_index and eye_color_index for each portraitType. For the Outremer females I just set it as headgear_that_hides_hair = { 9 10 }. Pretty sure 10 is helmets, while 9 is for Intrigue outfits -- so you might want to turn that on or off for each culture, depending if headgear 9 is a hood/veil or just a hat.

Ah, well, at least I know what the fix is. As tedious as it will be to find all the portrait gfx from dlc heh.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

OneTruePecos posted:

I tried to tell you guys. Ducks rule.

Don't gently caress with the ducks.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Tormented posted:

Don't gently caress with the ducks.

Please tell me the game has the ability to learn the combat trait "Flying V".

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I tried to figure out how the dynamic crown thing happens with Being Crowned because I thought that might lead to a way to just redirect crowns instead of replacing files, and boy that poo poo's complicated.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Yadoppsi posted:

One last question: how do I make zoroastrian Divine marriage work? There's exactly 1 kid in the 2nd generation who doesn't have one of the negative purple genetic traits. At least I'll be able to introduce some diversity into the Gene pool because the Caliph's sister is in my dungeons and will soon enough be my new rulers concubine.

You should probably avoid having children with your relatives if you don't want to deal with inbred children. If you really want that +5 opinion boost, marry a relative too old to get pregnant.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there any way to mod buildings to increase culture spread like they spread technology?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

I tried to figure out how the dynamic crown thing happens with Being Crowned because I thought that might lead to a way to just redirect crowns instead of replacing files, and boy that poo poo's complicated.

Changing clothes is a lot more complicated than you'd think too. I've tried mucking around in save files to replace certain digits of the Properties string, but it always changes back to what was already there if a character changes into their armor and back.

There used to be a little mod on the PDX forums called Customizable Attire that unfortunately went defunct once Holy Fury came out -- I tried messing around with that to see if I could bring it up to date but oof, I can barely figure out how it even works.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Is picking a starting nation in shattered/random worlds just picking what kind of race/culture/religion you want to be then finding the county with the most holds or is there more nuance to it than that?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

CascadeBeta posted:

Is picking a starting nation in shattered/random worlds just picking what kind of race/culture/religion you want to be then finding the county with the most holds or is there more nuance to it than that?

Pick the ruler whose name sounds the best.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

CommissarMega posted:

Is there any way to mod buildings to increase culture spread like they spread technology?
Not super easily, since culture doesn't spread anything like technology does. But I suppose you could mod the cultural spread event for provinces to check whether any holding in that province has a specific building, and to reduce the MTTH if it does.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it depends on what you've randomized. a very shattered world with no dukes or kings, yes, it's just a matter of finding your preferred culture/religion combo and going from there. there can be much more considerations though. if you have dukes or kings you really don't want to start too close to one of them as a count, for example. if you plan on raiding you'll also want nearby heathens. etc.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Coolguye posted:

it depends on what you've randomized. a very shattered world with no dukes or kings, yes, it's just a matter of finding your preferred culture/religion combo and going from there. there can be much more considerations though. if you have dukes or kings you really don't want to start too close to one of them as a count, for example. if you plan on raiding you'll also want nearby heathens. etc.

Well unless they are your culture/religion so you can swear fealty. Because there's something extremely satisfying carving your lieges realm away from him one piece at a time.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's also worth noting that if you generate multiple random/shattered worlds to get cultures where you want them (Say you want to be a scandinavian bear or Irish Mali), the ones you don't use start to pile up, which can be an issue if you have relatively finite hard drive space.

Personally, I want less of the huge tracts of land animal cultures, more small claves that you can pick as a challenge option. A family of dragons in Wales, the Cat Queen of Egypt, sweep up out of Subsaharan Africa as a hedgehog Khagan...

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Things like that are why I wish there were some mods for the Random/Shattered World features.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Dareon posted:

It's also worth noting that if you generate multiple random/shattered worlds to get cultures where you want them (Say you want to be a scandinavian bear or Irish Mali), the ones you don't use start to pile up, which can be an issue if you have relatively finite hard drive space.

Oh, right! So where are they stored? I assume in the CK2 folder in your Windows profile, but is there a separate folder for shattered worlds, or are they tucked away somewhere else?
(Since yeah, that might explain a few things, seeing as I have generated quite a few new shattered worlds... :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Do they not get cleared automatically?