Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Or you could do a V6 swap :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
NO V6 SWAPS NO TURBOS

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Adiabatic posted:

NO V6 SWAPS NO TURBOS

LS4 :getin:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

...MAYBE

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

NO V6 SWAPS NO TURBOS

NO BALLS.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
...what about a supercharger :getin:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Drop the head from a gen. 2 3SGE on it and make a 5SGE.

And then stick ITBs on it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Do eeeeeet.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Lurkers: What are your tried and true methods of cleaning parts on the cheap? Bolts, plastic covers, metal brackets, electrical looms. Gimme your secrets!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Lurkers: What are your tried and true methods of cleaning parts on the cheap? Bolts, plastic covers, metal brackets, electrical looms. Gimme your secrets!

Bolts & metal brackets: overnight gasoline soak + wire brush bench grinder wheel (will obviously trash painted brackets). If they're rusty you should just set up an electrolysis tank.
Plastic covers: 1/5 mix of simple green/water in an old windex bottle

No idea on the electrical looms, never cleaned one before. The simple green mix would prolly work okay.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Simple green is remarkably effective for something that probably isn't dissolving your kidneys.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Anything metal usually gets hit with brake parts cleaner. It goes on sale (like 2 for 1, BOGO) pretty often around here that we just stock up. I bought a case like a year or two ago and still haven't worked through all of it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
As far as the wiring harnesses go, pretty much the only way to clean em up properly is to remove the old loom and tape and redo it all from scratch. That was part of my job at the Rover/Jag shop and it was tedious as hell but soooo worth it when it came time to reassemble.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner on ebay forever ago. It worked amazing on jewlery, carbs, dildos, coke bottles, and pmuch anything that could get wet. If it was rusty, then either electrolysis (if it wasn't chrome) or acid (vinegar, molasses, phosporic, muriatic).

Also, I liked to use simple green in the ultrasonic cleaner.
Some people swore by pine sol though...

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 31, 2018

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Adiabatic posted:

Those weird magic eraser things and good ole dawn do pretty well at getting the really fine things like bolt threads.

Cutting compound does pretty well at getting rid of thin surface rust without taking excessive amounts of metal away.

Unwrap your loom and take your favorite goop remover to it, then re wrap it.

All I got, boss

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
plastics, wiring, normal amounts of grime: hot water, simple green, dish soap
Filthy dirty: diesel(or sometimes stale gas) and a wire brush.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Remind me what all you're planning with this again?

As for cleaning, everybody already said Simple Green. I don't have anything fancy so it's usually just that and a lot of rags. That engine looks pretty gunked up externally so maybe some engine degreaser wouldn't hurt as well.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Simple green is remarkably effective for something that probably isn't dissolving your kidneys.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Anyone suggested a TDI swap yet? Am I needed here?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

My dad works at a dealership. I made friends with people in the shop. They let me use their parts cleaners.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
A jewelry sized ultrasonic cleaner is surprisingly cheap.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Thanks yall. Picking up some Simple Green today and looking into ultrasonic cleaners! I've been using the old rear end solution in the small parts cleaner I have so far.

I'm cleaning every bolt and surface on this thing, which is a new level of detail for me compared to my normal slap poo poo together and away she goes routine.

Suburban Dad posted:

Remind me what all you're planning with this again?

Replacing all the engine gaskets, piston rings, vacuum lines, a bunch of accessories and pumps and all... just a refresh all around.

I have zero play in the rod bearings, btw. When I do the piston rings I'm gonna plastigage them and see if they need replacement. It's surprising how tight the lower end bearings are at 204k on it.

Theres more audience participation - if I get in there and the rod bearings look fine and plastigage fine, should they still be replaced with 204k on them?

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 31, 2018

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

cursedshitbox posted:

plastics, wiring, normal amounts of grime: hot water, simple green, dish soap
Filthy dirty: diesel(or sometimes stale gas) and a wire brush.

This. Diesel or kerosene in a spray bottle and a wire brush. WD40 or kerosene and scotchbrite if its rusty.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

If you have a grinder get wire wheels for it. Mine is my favorite thing but warning it will add HOURS to every project. So worth it though. I think it took me like 2 hours to do the oil pan on my outback last time because I had to clean all 20 or whatever bolts that hold it in.

Seconding ultrasonic cleaner. I got one off Amazon I think for like 80 bucks and I find reasons to use it, it's magical and great. I put diesel in it, I'll have to try the simple green, see how it does.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

shy boy from chess club posted:

If you have a grinder get wire wheels for it. Mine is my favorite thing but warning it will add HOURS to every project. So worth it though. I think it took me like 2 hours to do the oil pan on my outback last time because I had to clean all 20 or whatever bolts that hold it in.

Seconding ultrasonic cleaner. I got one off Amazon I think for like 80 bucks and I find reasons to use it, it's magical and great. I put diesel in it, I'll have to try the simple green, see how it does.

Note on the wire wheel: you will find wires stuck in your clothes, in your skin, and all over the god drat garage for loving MONTHS if not years after the fact.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Note on the wire wheel: you will find wires stuck in your clothes, in your skin, and all over the god drat garage for loving MONTHS if not years after the fact.

Also, wear safety glasses or a full-on face shield so that list doesn't have your eyes on it.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Seconding wire wheeling all the things, it takes way too long but it is also way too satisfying

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

stevobob posted:

Seconding wire wheeling all the things, it takes way too long but it is also way too satisfying

:agreed:

But also: 5SGE with ITBs

5SGE with ITBs

5SGE with ITBs

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 31, 2018

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh my god yes the amount and how far they go into skin is crazy. I can't imagine how bad it would be to take one to the eye. I keep a face shield right next to it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nobody mentioned but it is written on the bottle IIRC that simple green shouldn't be used on aluminium. Not that there's any on that engine but something to keep in mind.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Terrible Robot posted:

:agreed:

But also: 5SGE with ITBs

5SGE with ITBs

5SGE with ITBs

:getin:

I wanna hear it sing.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Suburban Dad posted:

Nobody mentioned but it is written on the bottle IIRC that simple green shouldn't be used on aluminium. Not that there's any on that engine but something to keep in mind.

Yea that and purple power in case anyone didn't know that one is bad for aluminum also.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Oh my god yes the amount and how far they go into skin is crazy. I can't imagine how bad it would be to take one to the eye. I keep a face shield right next to it.

It’s worse when it grabs that little M6 bolt and fires it across the workshop at roughly the velocity of a .22 round never to be seen again

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Ferremit posted:

It’s worse when it grabs that little M6 bolt and fires it across the workshop at roughly the velocity of a .22 round never to be seen again

I used to work for a NASA contractor that built the life support system for the space suit and that happened to a part I was working on. A tiny impeller that went into the fan/pump/seperator that was probably about the size of an M6. Part at that point was probably worth near 5 thousand bucks at that stage of the build and was never found. It was the guy on the assembly floor that did it, not me, but my job was keeping the trace paperwork for parts and it sucked trying to figure out a way to explain to the government how we lost a part with a lead time of almost a year.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Moved operations inside, because why the gently caress not:

Took the pistons out, mostly to change the piston rings but also to inspect the rod bearings.

Mind you this little engine has 204k miles on it... I cannot believe how good of shape it's in internally. Check out this crosshatching:

Anywho, here's cylinder 1. Rod bearing has some slight coating wear, from heat probably? Crank journal and cylinder bore look spectacular.

Cylinder 2 has some of the same coat wear, and a slight gouge I can't pick with my fingernail. It also has some weird brown discoloration on the cylinder bore. Anyone know what that's from? Crank journal again looks spectacular.

Cylinder 3 has probably the worst wear, with some gouging, but still nothing I can pick with my finger. The flash really brings out the imperfections. Crank journal and cylinder bore again look perfect.

Cylinder 4 again has some slight coating wear. Crank journal and cylinder bore both look great.

Went out and bought some simple green and a plastic organizer. Left it here for the night:

Rod bearings: Replace em? Is it worth going through the whole sizing and plastigauging to get possibly inferior-sized bearings installed?

Main bearings: Should I even inspect them at this point? The rod bearings looks awesome for 204k, and they're usually the first to starve.

Planning on simple greening everything while I wait for the special snowflake spring compressor and the piston rings. Weirdly enough it's pretty nice working on an engine at your dining room table.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You have it out, might as well swap stuff out. Also, lucas assembly lube has a weirdly minty scent. I recommend using it liberally

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This will probably never be important, but just in case it is; simple green is an effective acrylic paint stripper. That means do not get it on anything acrylic or painted with acrylic.

I also use it diluted 10:1 as windshield wiper fluid... it gets bugs off the glass really well and doesn't seem to affect rain-x.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea definitely replace the bearings while you have it apart. It'll last another 200k easy with bearings and rings. How's the crank surface on 3? That bearing didn't look great but at least it isn't down to the copper. I built a VR6 using plasticgauge that held together running 23lbs if boost so it'll be fine using it. With new rings just pay close attention to the gap. It's easy to do and super important. If you have or can borrow a bore gauge I'd give those a measure just to make sure there's no ovaling and even wear top to bottom. Should be good with all that crosshatch still there but doesn't hurt to give it a looksee.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah you're all right I should replace em. I have this weird aversion to touching lower end bearings ever since the S2000 but I'll do my due diligence in researching.

#3 crank journal looked fine last night but I'll give it a better look tonight and post more pictures.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

My 350k km old Toyota diesel had ovalled bores that were bad enough to need boring but couldn’t feel it or really see it. Take the block to a machine shop and get them to hot tank the castings and get the bores measured and the deck skimmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ferremit posted:

My 350k km old Toyota diesel had ovalled bores that were bad enough to need boring but couldn’t feel it or really see it. Take the block to a machine shop and get them to hot tank the castings and get the bores measured and the deck skimmed

Or, since you already have it apart, you can just measure them yourself. Get some bore gauges (if that's what they're called? the things that look like a T. My shop teacher called them snap gauges but the internet disagrees) and measure the bores at the top, middle, and bottom going both horizontally and vertically. It's not hard, just takes a little bit of time.