Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Anyone have some recommendations for cameras? I feel like my camera phone just doesn't do enough to capture depth details like a true digital camera with lens' can. I'm not a professional photographer obviously, and I'd only get something second hand, but I don't know where to begin. I see some of the photos in the archived Photos thread, and I imagine that most were taken with true cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

SpitztheGreat posted:

Anyone have some recommendations for cameras? I feel like my camera phone just doesn't do enough to capture depth details like a true digital camera with lens' can. I'm not a professional photographer obviously, and I'd only get something second hand, but I don't know where to begin. I see some of the photos in the archived Photos thread, and I imagine that most were taken with true cameras.

I've not used them but the moment case+lens system seems popular. Beyond that you'd probably be better served in the photo forums.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

SpitztheGreat posted:

Anyone have some recommendations for cameras?
Since you didn't give much in the way of requirements, I'll start off saying that the latest flagship smartphones (pixel 2&3, iphone x, whatever samsung has) take amazing pictures in bright light. This is mostly due to very smart image processing as opposed to amazing image sensors. They have pretty much surpassed most pocketable point & shoot cameras when it comes to images directly off the device.

If you are willing to carry something a little too big to shove in your pocket you can get amazing images from less optimal lighting, but the problem is that not all cameras are great at processing all the information, so you'll have to shoot in RAW format so you can tweak the exposure after the fact. If that sounds too scary, people seem to think that FujiFilm and Olympus give the best jpegs directly from the camera.

When comparing cameras ignore the megapixels, everything over 12MP should be good for most uses. If you need more you would know it. The most important things are:
-Size: A camera that is too big to carry with you is a camera that isn't getting used. You can use this site for comparison.
-Sensor size: Bigger is better. 1" is okay, Four Thirds is better, APS-C is as big as you are likely to go. Don't bother with smaller than 1" if you are looking for something much better than a smartphone.

-Lens: This is where poo poo gets crazy. In basic terms a smaller f-number is better. f1.4 is great. f2.8 is okay. This is where you will decide if you want a camera with a fixed lens or interchangeable. Generally if you want a compact zoom lens, you can have a good one fixed to the camera or have a meh kit lens that is interchangeable.

In case you're curious, I have a Panasonic lx-100. It is about as big as I'm willing to carry around without picture taking being my primary goal. If you want I can dig up an example of the jpeg directly from the camera looking pretty meh compared to how it can look with some post processing.

e: Out of the box, my camera's white balance wasn't exactly pleasing:

also most digital cameras will not do the excessive fake HDR that phone cameras do, so if you have an image with both bright highlights and dark shadows you would have to adjust it with a raw processor. Raw images record more information than you can see, so you can lighten shadows a lot better than you would be able to with a jpeg:

Darkening highlights doesn't work as well, so it is better to be slightly underexposed than over exposed.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 26, 2018

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Chard posted:

I've not used them but the moment case+lens system seems popular. Beyond that you'd probably be better served in the photo forums.

I am a heavy and enthusiastic user of Moment lenses. Especially love them for hiking or just being out and about; I can fit 4-5 lenses in my pocket and pop them on if needed. For hiking, I usually take the wide lens and the 60mm tele lens. They just put out a new 58mm tele lens that might be sharper than the 60, so maybe check into that if you’re thinking of trying Moment. They’re also great for video.

You will never get the same performance as a top-end mirrorless or dslr, but phone cameras are so good these days I find myself leaving the big camera home more and more. The Moment app is nice and user friendly, too, and I use it even when not using the lenses when I want manual control of the camera and wish to shoot in RAW.

One upside is the relatively low cost (in photobucks) to buy the case and a few lenses, especially if you already have a decent phone.

A few linked photos with the Moment lens system (tele, wide and macro lenses) on an iPhone 8:
https://instagram.com/p/Bqj9rtJgNaf/
https://instagram.com/p/Bm7lYliH7kd/
https://instagram.com/p/BlzYCbSHYe4/
https://instagram.com/p/Bp9XQS5gBqn/
https://instagram.com/p/BlUQ-GLnnxn/

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Keep in mind what your goals are for taking photos while hiking/backpacking. I used to bring everything (Canon 5D, 3 lenses, 4 batteries, go pro etc, gorilla pod etc) with me on every trip but that eventually changed.

At first I was trying to document each trip and make a small video about it but that was back when I lived in Chicago and trips only happened once, maybe twice, per year. They were a big deal because they didn't happen often. I live in Seattle now so I get out infinitely more. Taking photos and video of all my outings would be a full time job and take some of the enjoyment out of my past time. I like hiking and I like shooting but that feeling of "now I have to get back and edit all these raw files" has lost its appeal to me. I'm a graphic designer and I shoot weddings on the side so I'm not very eager to do something that requires me to spend even more time sitting in front of a computer and increase my workload. For most day hikes I'll either bring my phone or my RX100. For backpacking trips, its usually just my rx100. Its rare that I lug my A7iii out unless there's something specific I want to shoot that I need the horsepower.

Sometimes my hikes warrant photos, other times they don't. Most of the time my editing is nothing more than a few minutes adjusting sliders, sometimes its just wifi transferring an image from my camera to my phone and editing on VSCO. Laziness. Thats mostly what it comes down to for me. Thankfully my RX100 produces really great in camera jpegs.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Brooks range is running 89% off sleeping bags/tarps/tents/clothing. GO GO GO!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

They're getting hammered, stuff is going out of stock while I'm looking at it :rip: quilt

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Verman posted:

Brooks range is running 89% off sleeping bags/tarps/tents/clothing. GO GO GO!

Thanks for this. I bought a lot of stuff I don't need, but will use. And yeah, basically everything is out of stock now.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Just built a thing out of washers and mason cord that lets me pitch poles 'naked' and then cover up with the fly, making a waterproof shelter for pitching the actual tent. Fixes an issue that has bugged me about tents with the footprint+fly system: you risk ending up with a ton of moisture on the topside of your groundcloth while you work on poles and fly. This way I can throw down some polycryo under the fly and be snug as a bug :science:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just found a (packed) Passage 1 tent hanging on a trail sign about 4 miles into my most recent hike. Saw it yesterday morning on the hike in and it was there on the way out today so I opened it up. It’s definitely been sitting there, got rained on a few times and it has a bent pole so I called it abandoned and hiked it out. As for the fabric, it’s in good shape and even has a fly and footprint.

Gonna have a decent loaner tent for friends once I fix it up :)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Did anyone's brooks range gear ship?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Not mine, listed as processing still. I only live about 30 miles away from them, so unless they have an out of state warehouse, I should have it the day after they ship it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

winter is a fucjk

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Better views, no permit quotas, no bear cans, no stream crossings, no lovely wobbly talus fields, no people, and no loving smoke. Winter where it at son.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
NO BUGS.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Oh poo poo how did I forget that one. YES

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My Brooks Range gear shipped!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Morbus posted:

Better views, no permit quotas, no bear cans, no stream crossings, no lovely wobbly talus fields, no people, and no loving smoke. Winter where it at son.

Well yeah eventually. Right now it's all low-40s rain and icy morning roads

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

What pants do yall wear for cold weather and rain?

PookBear fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 16, 2018

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
mountain hardware stretch ozonic pants is my goto rainshell pants. It's super stretchy and has a full zipper. Underneath is whatever pants you wear normally. Maybe a base layer if it's really cold.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
I have an old pair of Marmot Precip full zips I wear for rain. I have found suspenders necessary for rain pant (and ski pant) use, but clearly not everyone needs them. Underneath I wear whatever softshell hiking pants I’m using that day. For real cold well below freezing, insulated pants can be nice, but my legs are usually the last to get cold. For moderate cold, wool or synthetic base layer pants work well.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
Any recommendations for a sleeping pad? I dont know much about hiking gear but it's for a gift.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Any recommendations for a sleeping pad? I dont know much about hiking gear but it's for a gift.

Budget? And backpacking or car camping?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

There are a ton of different sleeping pads and they vary in features and price so its hard to pinpoint exactly what they would want. I'm a side sleeper so I like thick air pads. I know other people who prefer to carry as little weight as possible so they run the minimal torso sized foam pads. Other people like self inflating and are fine with only an inch of cushion. Also, they come with various insulation ratings (much like sleeping bags) so if they plan to sleep much in colder weather, they will likely want a higher insulation rating (r value). They also come in different sizes to accommodate the sleepers height.

Personally I'm very particular about my gear. Considering I'll be out in remote places relying on said stuff for comfort and quality of sleep, I like to test it out in store and make sure it will suit my needs before having to rely on it for a week. Maybe just go with a gift card so they can pick out exactly what they want or at least keep the receipt in case they would prefer something else.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Verman posted:

There are a ton of different sleeping pads and they vary in features and price so its hard to pinpoint exactly what they would want. I'm a side sleeper so I like thick air pads. I know other people who prefer to carry as little weight as possible so they run the minimal torso sized foam pads. Other people like self inflating and are fine with only an inch of cushion. Also, they come with various insulation ratings (much like sleeping bags) so if they plan to sleep much in colder weather, they will likely want a higher insulation rating (r value). They also come in different sizes to accommodate the sleepers height.

Personally I'm very particular about my gear. Considering I'll be out in remote places relying on said stuff for comfort and quality of sleep, I like to test it out in store and make sure it will suit my needs before having to rely on it for a week. Maybe just go with a gift card so they can pick out exactly what they want or at least keep the receipt in case they would prefer something else.

I’m a mandatory side sleeper and would really like to hear more about the pad and pillow you use. I’d like to find something both supportive for side sleep and lightweight enough for backpacking.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Rolo posted:

I’m a mandatory side sleeper and would really like to hear more about the pad and pillow you use. I’d like to find something both supportive for side sleep and lightweight enough for backpacking.

I'm a side sleeper because thats that I find comfortable. I have a hard time falling asleep on my back or staying in that position. I don't snore, but I will if I'm on my back which will wake me up.

I started with a Z pad and that was horrible. I had a hard time staying asleep on it and woke up sore all the time. It lasted three trips before I got a new pad. I moved to a self inflating thermarest scout or something. It was mummy shaped and had 1-2" of padding. Even fully inflated my shoulders and hips still hit the ground. It wasn't insulated very well so I felt like it was pretty cold when the temps dropped. I also slipped off it constantly. It weighed a little more than 2lbs, and was slightly bigger than a nalgene bottle when stuffed. I used that for a few years before I upgraded. I also used to use a cheap nylon filled camp pillow I bought on a whim at a gas station on a way to a trip. I used it for years. As a side sleeper, you typically need something under your head unless you want neck cramps. Some people get away with a jacket or something else but I like having a dedicated pillow so that its not wet/stinky/dirty.

Eventually I upgraded to a full air pad (big agnes insulated q core).

https://www.rei.com/product/828412/big-agnes-insulated-q-core-pad

Its rectangular, weighs 1lb 11oz, stuffs about the size of a nalgene or smaller. It has 3.5-4 inches of padding which keeps me from ever touching the ground, even when shifting around. It has an R value of 5 which was more than any of my other pads so coupled with my 15º down bag, lower temps are much more comfortable. It has higher edges/bumpers to keep me from rolling off. I've had it for 4 years now and its still running strong. I've never been so comfortable in the backcountry. I sleep soundly throughout the night and wake up rested in the morning. If I can guarantee I'll sleep well at night, I'm much more tolerant of being wet/cold/exhausted/miserable during the day which justifies a few ounces of extra gear in my opinion. I'm in the pacific northwest so there are a lot of sharp rocks/roots/sticks/needles and I've never had a leak. My only gripe is it takes time to blow up as I use a bag pump to keep from putting humid air and bacteria from my lungs into my pad. It could also use a large opening valve for quick deflating as well but I think the newer version of this pad has those now.

For a pillow I use this now, and it works great. It has enough cushion/give that you don't feel like you're sleeping on a balloon and it packs up the size of a small jar of aspirin. Its tiny. The internal bladder is also removable so you can wash the cover. Its also nice to have a dedicated pillow because then the clothes/jacket you're using to sleep on aren't dirty/wet/muddy/stinky.

https://www.rei.com/product/142507/cocoon-sleeping-bag-hood-pillow

Seriously though, a good nights rest shouldn't be overlooked. I've introduced a lot of my friends to hiking/backpacking and one of the biggest hurdles always seems to be the sleeping element. Keeping someone warm and comfortable while sleeping goes a long way and motivates them to keep going the next day. I'll gladly sacrifice a few ounces for good sleep. I can lose weight elsewhere instead.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

If the giftee is anything like me, I really wouldn't want someone else buying me camping/backpacking gear unless they asked me specifically which models I wanted. Usually I already know what upgrades I have my eyes on.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
My weird preference is I don’t bother with a pad most trips, even while backpacking I take my cot, it’s about the same size as my pad, at about 3.5-4 pounds it weighs a lot more obviously, but it feels just so drat luxurious and comfortable. Currently I’ve got a Therm-a-Rest LuxuryLite, but I expect my next big splurge will be buying one that’s a bit lighter. If you want to go full bougie as poo poo you can use a pad on top of the cot, but that’s way more space than I care to use up unless I’m car camping.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Verman posted:

I'm a side sleeper because thats that I find comfortable. I have a hard time falling asleep on my back or staying in that position. I don't snore, but I will if I'm on my back which will wake me up.

I started with a Z pad and that was horrible. I had a hard time staying asleep on it and woke up sore all the time. It lasted three trips before I got a new pad. I moved to a self inflating thermarest scout or something. It was mummy shaped and had 1-2" of padding. Even fully inflated my shoulders and hips still hit the ground. It wasn't insulated very well so I felt like it was pretty cold when the temps dropped. I also slipped off it constantly. It weighed a little more than 2lbs, and was slightly bigger than a nalgene bottle when stuffed. I used that for a few years before I upgraded. I also used to use a cheap nylon filled camp pillow I bought on a whim at a gas station on a way to a trip. I used it for years. As a side sleeper, you typically need something under your head unless you want neck cramps. Some people get away with a jacket or something else but I like having a dedicated pillow so that its not wet/stinky/dirty.

Eventually I upgraded to a full air pad (big agnes insulated q core).

https://www.rei.com/product/828412/big-agnes-insulated-q-core-pad

Its rectangular, weighs 1lb 11oz, stuffs about the size of a nalgene or smaller. It has 3.5-4 inches of padding which keeps me from ever touching the ground, even when shifting around. It has an R value of 5 which was more than any of my other pads so coupled with my 15º down bag, lower temps are much more comfortable. It has higher edges/bumpers to keep me from rolling off. I've had it for 4 years now and its still running strong. I've never been so comfortable in the backcountry. I sleep soundly throughout the night and wake up rested in the morning. If I can guarantee I'll sleep well at night, I'm much more tolerant of being wet/cold/exhausted/miserable during the day which justifies a few ounces of extra gear in my opinion. I'm in the pacific northwest so there are a lot of sharp rocks/roots/sticks/needles and I've never had a leak. My only gripe is it takes time to blow up as I use a bag pump to keep from putting humid air and bacteria from my lungs into my pad. It could also use a large opening valve for quick deflating as well but I think the newer version of this pad has those now.

For a pillow I use this now, and it works great. It has enough cushion/give that you don't feel like you're sleeping on a balloon and it packs up the size of a small jar of aspirin. Its tiny. The internal bladder is also removable so you can wash the cover. Its also nice to have a dedicated pillow because then the clothes/jacket you're using to sleep on aren't dirty/wet/muddy/stinky.

https://www.rei.com/product/142507/cocoon-sleeping-bag-hood-pillow

Seriously though, a good nights rest shouldn't be overlooked. I've introduced a lot of my friends to hiking/backpacking and one of the biggest hurdles always seems to be the sleeping element. Keeping someone warm and comfortable while sleeping goes a long way and motivates them to keep going the next day. I'll gladly sacrifice a few ounces for good sleep. I can lose weight elsewhere instead.

Good stuff, thanks bud! I thought I could do the jacket thing last time I went and I definitely need a real pillow.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I have a Klymit Static V Luxe. R-Value of 1.3 so I don't recommend it for late fall/winter camping but as a larger dude it is light-years more comfortable than my old thermarest classic. It's 30 inches wide which means both my shoulders are supported with room to spare and 3-4 inches thick when inflated. Packs down to the size of a Nalgene. If you have a small tent it might be too much but it fits nicely in my MSR 3-person with my GF's thermarest in too with room to spare.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
This is incredibly late, but it is also something that I have only just learned recently.

What surface you are sleeping on makes a MASSIVE DIFFERENCE in what will be useful or not. In my particular case, since there ain't been enough beds with family all coming together for Christmas, I packed along my Exped Downmat 7C, and a light mummy bag, which is, nominally, an R 5.9.

And it probably would be, but since I like to sleep a little cold, or at least with the window cracked a bit so that I don't wake up in the morning as a dessicated mummy, I elected to sleep in the garage they converted over to communal area. Not only is the R 5.9 not enough, but the pad is also not thick enough to let me sleep on my back or sides without not feeling just the tiniest bit of chill from the concrete floor underneath me. The problem was solved by using an extra blanket to insulate between me and the pad, but still.

Which leads me to my point: Maybe this is a bit specialist, but if your giftee is a mountain hiker and finds themselves camping on rock more than dirt, a pad that does not have foam inside it, either as a whole, or something Thermarest-like, will probably be unsuitable.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
It really depends on temp. I've slept on snow covered frozen ground and 20 degree air temps with just my r5 pad and 15 degree bag and it was fine. People who sleep in really cold climates usually do foam pads or a system of combined foam pad on bottom with an air pad on top.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Family knocked it out of the park this Christmas. I’m weary about people buying hiking stuff for me without my input, but my mom got me a pretty neat solar kit and my siblings got me a freaking BV450 bear vault.

Nailed it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Decided not to travel back to the Midwest this Christmas so we went out for Chinese on Christmas eve and went snow shoeing today. It was mostly sunny with temperatures around 30f. It was a perfect opportunity for my wife to use her new snow shoes. I kept it short so she didn't hate it right away. We did 4 miles, my dog probably 12. He's been asleep since.

I have to say, it's nice to not have to travel and get outside instead. The trails were surprisingly empty.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Rolo posted:

Family knocked it out of the park this Christmas. I’m weary about people buying hiking stuff for me without my input, but my mom got me a pretty neat solar kit and my siblings got me a freaking BV450 bear vault.

Nailed it.

knocking it out of the park on something you're autistic about is always great

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

knocking it out of the park on something you're autistic about is always great

I know. It means they listen when I talk about my hobbies and that’s really cool :)

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

My wife is really fit but has hips are there any hiking pants that are made for people aren't stick thin?

edit: Like I saw fjallraven has some that come in curvy but I think they're EU only and not carried on amazon or REI

PookBear fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 6, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Braggart. =P

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Also I was looking at compasses at REI and none of them had both a rear sight and front sight wire. At most they would have some sort of front sight but no rear sight to align it with

This is what I learned to use, the rear notch lines up with the wire to give accurate readings. Am I just missing something? They have features I like such as being lighter weight and being able to adjust the compass to compensate for the difference between magnetic north/true north but inaccurate readings bothers the gently caress out of me

PookBear fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Even in my SERE class our compasses were pretty basic. I don't really think heading 277 when you meant to go 279 is that big of a deal unless you're navigating across the ocean. Being able to calibrate the loving thing sounds crazy nice though.