Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Red Dead Redemption Online needs private/solo free roam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

MizPiz posted:

That's what story mode post-ending is for though?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MizPiz posted:

i think that's just the regular game after the opening

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I always thought haggling was disrespectful/hostile, like when you go to buy a car and haggle - that is such an unpleasant experience and at least when I did it a few months ago I felt violated and insulted after, and the salesman (yeah I know it was just the acting they are trained to do) was pissed at me for being so "difficult" because I didn't want to pay 895 dollars on top of the dealer fee for "reconditioning" which he couldn't/wouldn't explain what it actually was. It was a 2018 car, what the hell needed reconditioning?

I should have just gone with those no-haggle places I guess.

I get that in other cultures it is viewed differently, but i'll never be able to understand why you would choose to have every purchase be hostile.

Can you buy cars online? A way to avoid haggling. From my experience in playing strategy games haggling always has undertones of danger. I would really like to make this deal, if it doesn't work out maybe I'll invade.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Even giving stuff away for free isn't good enough for some people. I had a bar fridge I didn't need, so I offered it to anyone who'd come and pick it up. A woman said she'd take it and agreed to come get it the next day. An hour after she was supposed to be there I messaged her and she said she was on her way, but she needed to know if it would fit in her car. Not knowing anything about her car, I couldn't tell her anything more than the dimensions of the fridge, which I'd already mentioned in the ad. She asked if I could help her get it into her car and I said I could, but when she showed up about an hour after that it turned out she actually meant could I lift it into her car single-handed because she couldn't possibly assist in any way.

Next time I'll just put it out for hard rubbish.

haha. I had a similar experience where I swore never to give anything away on CL again. I had 2 couches I was giving away and this dude asked to have them. He literally showed up 5 hours late while I was trying to move from my apt and I couldn't leave (I also needed to get rid of the couches that day) so I just had to hang around while I should have been moving stuff to my new place. Then he shows up with some woman who didn't even offer to help, so guess who got to stuff a giant couch into the back of an SUV with him. Not a big deal, but of course he couldn't fit both of them in there despite me telling him the dimensions. So I had to work something out with my landlord so he could come back in the AM and get the second couch off the porch. He came back and got it while I was gone, and also stole all of my roomate's stuff of the porch at the same time. We called him out on it (We lied and said we had a camera on the porch) and he said he "didn't think it would be a big deal that he took all the other stuff on the porch too). We told him we'd call the cops on him if he didn't return the stuff and he said he'd rush back and return it, but never even showed up. Luckily my roomates stuff he took were things he was just giving away anyways but it was the principle of it. loving meth head piece of poo poo lol.

I used to sell a lot of stuff on CL back in the day and I'd say that the person you are about to meet up with on each transaction has at least a 50% chance of being sketchy or abnormal in some very profound way.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's poo poo like that why I just took my functional couch to the loving dump rather than try to sell it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I have a pair of steeltoed army boots that I wanna sell, practically new. Do I really wanna deal with actually selling them, or just let them gather dust. For some years dust has been the answer.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I can't imagine what kind of neighborhood you guys live in where you can't instantly get rid of anything with even marginal value just by leaving it on the curb

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You can always just donate stuff to charity. Many of them will even come to your house and pick it up.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's called Finland, not even the poors are so hard up for a couch they would randomly take it from the street. It would be covered in snow or ice rain soon on the street so that's a factor. I took mine to a recycling center and they were like, it's kinda worn down, there is a stain there, no thanks. I had to pay like 15 euro to get rid of it.

* in case it was not clear, i tried to donate, they did not want it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

doverhog posted:

It's called Finland, not even the poors are so hard up for a couch they would randomly take it from the street. It would be covered in snow or ice rain soon on the street so that's a factor. I took mine to a recycling center and they were like, it's kinda worn down, there is a stain there, no thanks. I had to pay like 15 euro to get rid of it.

Why not just leave it in the woods?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I guess I have some morals against littering. :confuoot:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

doverhog posted:

I guess I have some morals against littering. :confuoot:

biodegradable trash like couches breaks down way faster in the open than in a dump. Dumps often actually preserve trash because they're too packed for biodegradation.

Leaving a couch in the woods where it will biodegrade naturally and serve as a home for opossums is the morally superior option

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

At the same time Criagslist can be super useful, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't know their way around all the scams and types of weirdos you'll encounter. I'm not hard up enough for cash right now to deal with the hassle, but I loved it when I was broke or just wanted some fun money. You don't have to deal with fees, or the PO, you can also get people to come to your house to get stuff so it's almost zero effort (obviously do this at your own risk). But there's like a 50% chance you'll have a smooth, hassle free encounter with a sane person and a 50% chance you'll have hours of your life eaten up by one of the dregs of humanity, so you really have trust your gut and just cut off contact the second someone throws up a red flag by haggling too much, acting sketchy, or being flaky because it's never worth it.

doverhog posted:

* in case it was not clear, i tried to donate, they did not want it

Yeah I see couches on the curb all the time with water damaged "free" signs on them that have clearly been sitting there for a month and are full of mold. If it was worth taking when they put it on the curb it's not anymore.

My favorite is people that leave big screen tube TVs sitting on the curb with 6 inches of snow on them. Yeah I'm sure someones gonna grab that any minute now.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Jan 6, 2019

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Gripweed posted:

biodegradable trash like couches breaks down way faster in the open than in a dump. Dumps often actually preserve trash because they're too packed for biodegradation.

Leaving a couch in the woods where it will biodegrade naturally and serve as a home for opossums is the morally superior option

There are no opossums in Finland, too cold. However I can tell you, where I live nothing is taken to the landfill anymore. Anything combustible is burned as fuel in a power plant, everything else is recycled.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

1 should be a prime number and it's totally hosed up that it isn't considered one any longer. Basically the only reason why is that there's something called the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra that would have had to include an asterisk for "except 1" and instead of just revising the rule or writing a better theorem, some math nerds back in the 1800s decided to demote 1 to not being prime. But 1 IS prime! It's literally the most prime integer you can have! That's burnt.

I feel this deeply

I remember being 10 or 11 in maths and the teacher asked us to name some prime numbers in class and I said 1 and was ruthlessly shamed. Abolish education

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

There are no opossums in Finland, too cold. However I can tell you, where I live nothing is taken to the landfill anymore. Anything combustible is burned as fuel in a power plant, everything else is recycled.

My frozen friend, you do know that some waste just can’t be recycled?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Like, what? Genuinely curious, also what definition of recycled is being used.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

doverhog posted:

Like, what? Genuinely curious, also what definition of recycled is being used.

carpet soaked with mercury is almost impossible to get rid of legally

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My frozen friend, you do know that some waste just can’t be recycled?

But it can be burned, probably.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Ok, that fringe case belongs in a toxic waste disposal plant. It is irrelevant as to what any wider policy should be.

*steinrokkan I remember you, how's that coal burning down there? Still much dirtier than nuclear? Yeah.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

You just don't know the right milliners.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

spit on my clit posted:

I think that's just the regular game after the opening

Yeah what are you even doing if you're not just roaming around the countryside and finding neat poo poo as soon as you get to the heartlands.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gripweed posted:

I can't imagine what kind of neighborhood you guys live in where you can't instantly get rid of anything with even marginal value just by leaving it on the curb
People try this all the time. It doesn't work. The nature strips are littered with couches, TVs, washing machines, etc.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I need silence in a car when I am driving in super stressful situations. If you are in my car, you need to recognize when the hard-mode of driving is happening and shut the gently caress up. My main priority is getting you all there alive, not making sure you're having a good time.

No I won't apologize for telling the 3 year old son of a friend to shut up while I was trying to navigate rush hour traffic on the DC beltway.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tiggum posted:

People try this all the time. It doesn't work. The nature strips are littered with couches, TVs, washing machines, etc.

I can believe couches and TVs, but washing machines are made of metal. If you live in a neighborhood where nobody makes some cash on the side selling metal, you're boujie as gently caress

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
As I understand things, Tiggum lives in Australia. If someone said to you "would you like to grab this metal block that is now probably infested with a galzillion deadly snakes and spiders" how would you respond?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I need silence in a car when I am driving in super stressful situations. If you are in my car, you need to recognize when the hard-mode of driving is happening and shut the gently caress up. My main priority is getting you all there alive, not making sure you're having a good time.

No I won't apologize for telling the 3 year old son of a friend to shut up while I was trying to navigate rush hour traffic on the DC beltway.

Have you considered mindfulness?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

:hai:, :hai:, a million times :hai:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

This is why you listen to loud music when you drive

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
PHUO: I like terrible, dense, forced puns.

Q: How do disc jockeys of the information age research pagan religions?
A: A Wicca wiki.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Having the TV on as background noise is incredibly irritating. Watch it or turn it off. Having it on while people try to talk over it just makes it impossible to enjoy the show or the conversation.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
My favorite background noise is multiple endless loops of babies and adults crying with incrementally rising volumes. Now, no sound can irritate or distract me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MizPiz posted:

This is why you listen to loud music when you drive

I hate when people turn the music way up and then try to talk anyway, so we’re forced to scream at each other like it’s a club.

Also, I love having excuses to be rude to my cousins’ kids. The look on their fat little six year old faces when I tell them to shut up is amazing, because most of the family will kowtow to their every idiot whim even if it means dangerous driving or something.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Jan 6, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
PHUO: Piloting a vehicle is stressful and terrifying and I loving hate it. Under the very best conditions, it requires a level of concentration I don't like to put toward any effort except for competitive strategy games.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't really think too much about what I'm doing while I'm driving. I guess I'm used to it. I drove a lot over Christmas when I was home for the holidays and even in spite of not having driven at all for several months, it all came back fairly naturally.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Don't get me wrong, I'm able to drive and have, extensively at one time, I just do not like it at all and ALWAYS feel like I've just cheated death an impossible number of times after arriving home after each trip. No one else seems to feel this way. I also can't hold the wheel loosely or relaxed-ly, even when trying; I can only grip it like the windpipe of a Nazi that's directly threatening my partner.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Implying that nazis should be strangled? Sounds political

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I once had a long argument in D&D about how political violence is wrong, even if the target are nazis. It's funny to me how that's an unpopular opinion (now?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

doverhog posted:

I once had a long argument in D&D about how political violence is wrong, even if the target are nazis. It's funny to me how that's an unpopular opinion (now?).

There's a disconnect in some places; I know a few people who would otherwise argue that killing Nazis is a good thing continue to insist that stuff like the Allies or the Soviets turning Nazi cities into rubble with tanks and planes during the Second World War was a "war crime". It doesn't seem altogether consistent to me. In both cases, you are killing the Nazis so why is one good and the other bad?

Anyway, that's probably too much like politics as well, so I'll go no further with it.