Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Red dead 2 is so loving slow and it plays like a PS2 game. The shooting isn't fun. Looting stuff isn't fun. Managing my dumb rear end cores isn't fun. Also 99 percent of the game is just following NPCs while they talk to you. Running into things with my horse however is quite fun.

I just got to Not-Louisiana and am seriously considering selling it. It's gorgeous and the voice acting is neat but everything else about the game just sucks rear end and feels clunky as hell.

Should I sell it right now while I can still get nearly what I paid for it, or is it worth powering through? I could always move onto HZD or God of War...

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Jan 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Morpheus posted:

In the Witcher 3 expansion Hearts of Stone, there's a quest that nets you a set of good equipment and a trophy (if you're into those). It's currently bugged and if you happen to hit the bug, impossible to complete. It has been this way since, oh, 2015 or so. CDPR's response has basically been "we don't know how to fix it so uh try starting a new game or do the expansion on its own." Both of which are loving stupid options. It's basically sucked the wind right out of my sails for completing this game.

For an otherwise pretty solid game, there are a few bugs that can really screw up important quests. I've heard about the one you've encountered but have never come across it myself fortunately.

It's not as big an issues as yours, but there's one abandoned village in my game that will forever remain so. One of the monsters I was meant to kill just flew the gently caress away and disappeared, damning the poor village to eternal desolation. For whatever reason it has to die by Geralt's hand, because simply glitching into non being isn't good enough it seems. CDPR's response to this bug was essentially the same.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

Red dead 2 is so loving slow and it plays like a PS2 game. The shooting isn't fun. Looting stuff isn't fun. Managing my dumb rear end cores isn't fun. Also 99 percent of the game is just following NPCs while they talk to you. Running into things with my horse however is quite fun.

I just got to Not-Louisiana and am seriously considering selling it. It's gorgeous and the voice acting is neat but everything else about the game just sucks rear end and feels clunky as hell.

Should I sell it right now while I can still get nearly what I paid for it, or is it worth powering through? I could always move onto HZD or God of War...
I haven't played it but no game is worth powering through if you're not having fun. Sell it. There's always youtube for the story bits.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I really really loved RDR2 at first but towards the very end I started getting sick of it. I still easily got my money’s worth and would recommend it gladly because it only started wearing thin on me after dozens and dozens of hours, but once you’ve seen most of the cool side stuff and start running out of things to explore the core gameplay isn’t good enough to hold the game up on its own. If you’re not into it at the beginning you probably won’t ever be.

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

CordlessPen posted:

I've always wanted to ask if, in the olden days, they actually respected their gimmick or used it in clever ways because I've only watched Jeopardy in the late 90s and early 00s and it always seemed to me that they just ask regular old questions but with a slight grammar quirk.

Basically, even since the early days in the 70s, the clues are just questions with the grammar quirk.

Occasionally, you get categories that feel closer to the original gimmick ("we'll give the sports team, you name the city it comes from").

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It also does this thing where the first half of the clue is overly complicated, and then the second half is really simple and obvious, so it gives the illusion of being hard when it's really piss easy.

Something like "composed of phosphates, sugars and one of four nitrogeneous bases, this three letter molecule contains all the genetic information of the cell"

Most of the longer questions are intentionally written as "side fact, question". You're not going to get the answer solely from the side fact, but it's at least some extra information for the audience.

You could do a quiz that dispenses with all the side facts, but it gets really really dry.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It feels like the show just wants the illusion of being all in depth and clever, without actually trying to stretch the audience or contestants.

In each category, the clues are ranked from easiest to most obscure. The first two/three clues in each category are meant to be pretty easy and general: it's pretty much a race to the buzzer for 60% of the game.

It's when you get to the bottom entries is where the depth of knowledge is tested.

Sure, you can make all the questions harder... but usually that means you have three contestants who won't buzz in.

Of course, no matter what, if the subject is beyond the contestants... it's a train wreck. The infamous "Video Games" category on Jeopardy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5NbCOCGQ_Q

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
"If you get this one, I will die"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRdGHqh2RsM

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

KingSlime posted:

It's gorgeous and the voice acting is neat but everything else about the game just sucks rear end and feels clunky as hell.

Rockstar.txt

It sounds like you're not enjoying it so I would sell it now. The resale price is only going to go down.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

KingSlime posted:

Yeah, sell it now. I regret getting it digitally and being unable to pawn that turd off on someone else.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I really really loved RDR2 at first but towards the very end I started getting sick of it. I still easily got my money’s worth and would recommend it gladly because it only started wearing thin on me after dozens and dozens of hours, but once you’ve seen most of the cool side stuff and start running out of things to explore the core gameplay isn’t good enough to hold the game up on its own. If you’re not into it at the beginning you probably won’t ever be.

this was my experience too. dicked around for about 20 hours then decided to power through the main missions only and by the end i was absolutely sick of it. i liked the shooting parts but the lack of fast travel everywhere was awful when you were between story missions and had to ride 20 minutes to the next mission marker. when i found out the epilogue was another 10 hours i stopped after chapter 6.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Steam no longer supports Mac OS 10.10 and Windows XP.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Mamkute posted:

Steam no longer supports Mac OS 10.10 and Windows XP.

And the new chat is ugly.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I played Bayonetta by going back to earlier missions and playing them in order to get those golds. I really liked the combat though and also Bayonetta’s scorching hot rig.

There’s a move you can do called dodge lag or something where if you dodge mid combo but hold the attack button down you will continue the combo once you’ve dodged. I recommend looking up a video on it. It’s not hard to do but I don’t think the game tells you that you can do it.

It makes it a lot easier to get those higher medals because you can start getting those Wicked Weaves and once you’re doing those you just shred

Dodge Offset, yeah. It's key to understanding Bayo's scoring system because, while I don't remember the exact details, basically the game wants you to be finishing out combos/using wicked weaves as much as possible. That's also a key purpose of the pistols - to keep tagging enemies to prevent your combo from lapsing and generate more score in situations where you can't feasibly keep comboing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What the gently caress is this buzzsaw bullshit? I finally beat one of the bosses to get the better dream nail and now I'm a place full of gently caress you saw blade and precision jumping.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

What the gently caress is this buzzsaw bullshit? I finally beat one of the bosses to get the better dream nail and now I'm a place full of gently caress you saw blade and precision jumping.

Yeah, the game turning into meat boy for a level was definitely a lowlight for me. I think that area is a pretty nice entry into the "difficult platformer" genre but that's not what I was playing the game for. There's a badge you can get in the beehive area that makes managing your health in that section easier, at least.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, the game turning into meat boy for a level was definitely a lowlight for me. I think that area is a pretty nice entry into the "difficult platformer" genre but that's not what I was playing the game for. There's a badge you can get in the beehive area that makes managing your health in that section easier, at least.

Yep that went on the first time I died and had to reset. The tough bosses were one thing but I don't play games like Meat Boy for a reason. I can't facetank platforming

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

It's the first area in the game where you're expected to know you can even bounce off of harmful objects with your nail. It doesn't help that everything is silver and black so even knowing if something's harmful or not can be a pain in the rear end.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Len posted:

Yep that went on the first time I died and had to reset. The tough bosses were one thing but I don't play games like Meat Boy for a reason. I can't facetank platforming

You actually can! There's a charm that heals you if you stand still.

I won't disagree that the White Palace is absolute bullshit though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Darksiders 3 seems far more willing to just let a few enemies juggle you to death with very little chance to recover. Fury seems incredibly fragile compared to War or Death, and her dodge is a little wonky. I'm still enjoying the game, but I don't think it is as good as the first two games.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Fallout 3 it takes more skill to repair a nailboard than a laserpistol.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Alhazred posted:

In Fallout 3 it takes more skill to repair a nailboard than a laserpistol.

I can buy that on a logical level. You give me two laser pistols and tell me to repair pistol A with pistol B, I'm not good at repairs but I can probably get somewhere. There's a lot of individual pieces, I'm sure I can make it work better if I take the parts of pistol B that look better than pistol A's, transfer them, and we'll end with a better pistol A than we started with.

You give me a nailboard, I see exactly two components I can work with here: a nail, and a board. I'm not gonna be able to do much with this.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

Are we still talking about rdr2?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Necrothatcher posted:

Are we still talking about rdr2?

Hollow Knight.

If you want the better endings you have to suddenly play loving Kaizo World.

The Traitor Lord is still pushing my poo poo in too. I've got the best nail but that doesn't help when he does two masks of damage and there's no way to mitigate that

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, unfortunately most of the new content in the updates was ball-bustingly hard bosses/boss gauntlets. The entire Godseeker update was pretty much a wash. I thought the optional stuff in the base game was OK, though.
It was pretty mean of the devs to hide a few unique creatures in the insanely hard final Godseeker gauntlets so that 95% of players who want to complete their creature journal won't be able to. Also kinda weird that they hid the Godseeker content such that almost no one will naturally find it.

Still a masterpiece of a game, though!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Len posted:

Hollow Knight.

The Traitor Lord is still pushing my poo poo in too. I've got the best nail but that doesn't help when he does two masks of damage and there's no way to mitigate that

You won't like a lot of stuff if two HP damage is a deal breaker.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Cleretic posted:

I can buy that on a logical level. You give me two laser pistols and tell me to repair pistol A with pistol B, I'm not good at repairs but I can probably get somewhere. There's a lot of individual pieces, I'm sure I can make it work better if I take the parts of pistol B that look better than pistol A's, transfer them, and we'll end with a better pistol A than we started with.

You give me a nailboard, I see exactly two components I can work with here: a nail, and a board. I'm not gonna be able to do much with this.

Excellent post.

You can't repair a nailboard if the board is broken. Gotta find a new board then put some nails in it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

ilmucche posted:

Excellent post.

You can't repair a nailboard if the board is broken. Gotta find a new board then put some nails in it.

Take the nails from board B and use them as fasteners to resecure A as a board smdh

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUl6PooveJE

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Evilreaver posted:

Take the nails from board B and use them as fasteners to resecure A as a board smdh

Follow the Two Worlds method and nail Board B to Board A using Board B's nail.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Finished AC Unity.

It's not inherently bad to have murder mystery sidequests in a game about assassinating people but it does get weird when some of the things you investigate (that result in the culprit being locked away) are indistinguishable from things you actually do. It's fine when Arno kills an extremist to save people from the guillotine but when someone else does it? Lock 'em up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This was from a couple of pages back but I was reminded today of another game where the DLC really screws up the progression, Dead Rising 3. I bought a copy for PC last year and it was one of those complete versions. Which meant as soon as I got access to a safehouse I had a bunch of really powerful weapons just free for the taking. Kind of makes it hard to care about collecting and making your own stuff when you can just go to a cabinet and get whatever you want from it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing the old indie game Perspective, and the problem is that I'm now expecting an orange border around my entire monitor even now. The screen now looks weird to me without a killscreen border.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Finished AC Unity.

It's not inherently bad to have murder mystery sidequests in a game about assassinating people but it does get weird when some of the things you investigate (that result in the culprit being locked away) are indistinguishable from things you actually do. It's fine when Arno kills an extremist to save people from the guillotine but when someone else does it? Lock 'em up.

Haven’t played Unity, since it was a disaster for a while, but that whole thing makes sense with the whole “nothing is true, everything is permitted” thing with the assassins. They don’t care about right or wrong as much as furthering their goals.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

This was from a couple of pages back but I was reminded today of another game where the DLC really screws up the progression, Dead Rising 3. I bought a copy for PC last year and it was one of those complete versions. Which meant as soon as I got access to a safehouse I had a bunch of really powerful weapons just free for the taking. Kind of makes it hard to care about collecting and making your own stuff when you can just go to a cabinet and get whatever you want from it.

Yeah I had this with Mafia 3, they did a free DLC with a silenced pistol that's literally the best gun in the game. Never bother with anything else!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Haven’t played Unity, since it was a disaster for a while, but that whole thing makes sense with the whole “nothing is true, everything is permitted” thing with the assassins. They don’t care about right or wrong as much as furthering their goals.

There's some of that but it's still a bit incongruous.

There are two main things you do in the game: pursue revenge against the person who killed Arno's adopted father, and stop the excesses of the revolution. The latter comes into the main plot a bit but it's the focus of a lot of the sidequests, both major and minor. It makes it weird when you come across an ersatz Scarlet Pimpernel which the game has you stop because surprise surprise they are a Templar (despite the fact the revolution is organised by the Templars), or when you put someone away for killing Marat (despite the fact you''d've done the same thing for the same reasons).

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kenji Jenkins posted:

Basically, even since the early days in the 70s, the clues are just questions with the grammar quirk.

Occasionally, you get categories that feel closer to the original gimmick ("we'll give the sports team, you name the city it comes from").

Most of the longer questions are intentionally written as "side fact, question". You're not going to get the answer solely from the side fact, but it's at least some extra information for the audience.

You could do a quiz that dispenses with all the side facts, but it gets really really dry.

In each category, the clues are ranked from easiest to most obscure. The first two/three clues in each category are meant to be pretty easy and general: it's pretty much a race to the buzzer for 60% of the game.

It's when you get to the bottom entries is where the depth of knowledge is tested.

Sure, you can make all the questions harder... but usually that means you have three contestants who won't buzz in.

Of course, no matter what, if the subject is beyond the contestants... it's a train wreck. The infamous "Video Games" category on Jeopardy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5NbCOCGQ_Q

That's amazing :allears: I guess I just don't see the fun in a quiz show that's all about reaction times, especially if I'm not actually gonna learn anything by watching.

Also apparently the host gets annoyed if you jump straight to the high value answers? Why even have that option if it winds them up and has no impact on the game?

I think the only decent quiz shows are The Chase, because it mixes rapid fire with some slower, trickier questions, and Only Connect, which is like a crossword setters deranged fever dream.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If I recall Arno's actual father was murdered by Shay, the player-character and possible leprechaun from AC Rogue. Arno never does anything about this fact, or even learn about it in the first place, and it never becomes important.

Fun fact about the Modern Day storyline in Assassin's Creed; For the first five games it was supposed to be about Desmond Miles journey into Assassin-hood, but they then killed him off which made his whole character-arc pointless. For the next four games it was about stopping some evil goddess called Juno but, in a tie-in comic no less, she's killed off as well that Dr Nick guy and the annoying bitch from Rogue. There's now a new (boring) protagonist called Layla and I believe she will probably choke on a canape given how constantly anti-climactic this Modern Day storyline is.

There's a good reason why most installments in a franchise are self-contained and just leave the sequel-tease stuff to after the credits. You can enjoy the movie Bumblebee without watching a second of the Bay movies.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Jan 6, 2019

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007

Len posted:

Hollow Knight.

I think you are overstating the platforming difficulty of White Palace. I not good at platformers. Games like Meat Boy or Dustforce fill me with dread. I played Hollow Knight for exploration aspect of the game that I enjoyed very much. I finished White Palace in 45 minutes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Herr Bazooka posted:

I think you are overstating the platforming difficulty of White Palace. I not good at platformers. Games like Meat Boy or Dustforce fill me with dread. I played Hollow Knight for exploration aspect of the game that I enjoyed very much. I finished White Palace in 45 minutes.

It took me about an hour all said and done but it was not what I signed up for

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Finished witcher 2,did iorveths path.

A few things : The combat is not great,it's actually a bit worse than not great,the problem i've found is with geralts animations,he does these flowery pirouettes and poo poo but some are longer than others so if you happen to get him doing a particularly dramatic swing or stab your enemies will be hacking you to pieces or stunlocking you before it's over.

Also the enemies can turn on a dime and the hitboxes aren't great,i can't count the amount of times geralt has had an enemy in front of him but dived towards a big group of bastards who immeditaely turn on a dime and oops you're dead.

Witcher 1 did it better.

another thing,there's alot of moments in quests where you're not quite sure if a quest will be completed later in the story or not and it led to a lot of quests not being finished by the end of the game,the first game tended to give you a hint in the journal about what to expect,not so in this game.

The stat system is a bit shite,what's the point in sticking a rune on a sword if all it gives me is +1 to bleed or +5 to incineration? I'll stick with my + 20 whatever thanks.

Is there literally any point to the alchemy skill tree at all?

Also final thing do any of the dangling plot threads get resolved in witcher 3? cause if not i probably won't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

What are some specific things you want to see resolved?