Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the compliment rio, he was a pretty cool dude.
These are scans of 35mmm slides so I guess that may have something to do with the backwardness. Good catch!
If you guys are into this stuff, I can start a thread. We have a friend of the family in UK scanning about 10K slides I shipped over there.
I thought it might be a Kodak retina III, but it looked odd, probably the backwards stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

some_admin posted:

If you guys are into this stuff, I can start a thread.

Yes, please.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Sauer posted:

I don't know what it is but it looks backwards. Like a Leica III for lefties. Small knob and big knob are on the wrong sides and the lens and meter are bias to the right.

Some cameras were like that. I have an Exakta from the 1960s and it winds right to left. Actually looking at the camera, and comparing it with mine, I'm going to say that it is an Exakta. Possibly a VX1000.

The prism is modular and interchangable with waist-level finders and several after-market options. I think the one in the picture has the Travemat metered prism attached.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Where are darkroom goons sourcing reasonably priced chemical storage bottles?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The grocery store. Soft drink bottles are gas tight and come in a variety of convenient sizes.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Sauer posted:

The grocery store. Soft drink bottles are gas tight and come in a variety of convenient sizes.

More concerned about the light blocking ability of the bottles and plastic that won't react with the chemicals.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I leave my chemistry in a cupboard so the bottles don't get exposed to light. Soft drink bottles are made from HDPE which is pretty inert stuff.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I bought these when I assembled my home developing kit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FDH5L6N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UEKkCbGWA2D64

I’ve seen opaque plastic jugs made for chemical storage, but I can’t remember what their specific name is.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

I love shooting and editing, but culling is the worst

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Actually now thinking of high quality orange juice in gallon bottles. Many are opaque. Extra points if I can find a brand with removable labels. How to insure that they are rinsed out enough? I imagine citrus acid is not a good thing.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Clean them out with soap and hot water. Rinse a few times. It will be fine.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Sauer posted:

I don't know what it is but it looks backwards. Like a Leica III for lefties. Small knob and big knob are on the wrong sides and the lens and meter are bias to the right.

It's this. It's definitely a Leica II or III or some sort of clone with a Leicameter

I quoted the wrong post and now I can't un-quote it, but it's the reversed scan thing

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 31, 2018

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Didn't know that Sears made a Leica knockoff. Neato.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Sauer posted:

All the cool kids were doing it

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dog Case posted:

It's this. It's definitely a Leica II or III or some sort of clone with a Leicameter

I quoted the wrong post and now I can't un-quote it, but it's the reversed scan thing

Looks like it has the slow speed knob so I'd say III.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sauer posted:

I used to have a lens that said JC PENNY on it. Fuckin' everyone was slapping their brand name on anything glass out of Japan in the late 70's / early 80's.

I can't be arsed to look for it, but I assume a) a complete archive of Sears catalogues exists on the internet somewhere and b) somebody could search it and find a complete line of Sears-brand SLRs, lenses, and accessories from around 40 years ago.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

ExecuDork posted:

I used to have a lens that said JC PENNY on it. Fuckin' everyone was slapping their brand name on anything glass out of Japan in the late 70's / early 80's.

A fun fact: JC Penny actually invented photography

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have a JC Penney stamped turntable, they did a bunch and most of them are Hitachis or Technics from memory.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Anybody else have a problem looking through viewfinders because of their ridiculously long eyelashes? I'm having trouble getting my eye close enough to see the whole frame...

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Blackhawk posted:

Anybody else have a problem looking through viewfinders because of their ridiculously long eyelashes? I'm having trouble getting my eye close enough to see the whole frame...

You shouldn't need to literally stick your eyeball on the viewfinder. I generally rest my eyebrow on the area right above the viewfinder and there is at least a finger's worth of a gap between my eye and the glass.

Maybe your viewfinder sucks though, i dunno.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I miss the oversized eyecup I used to have on my Sony PD150.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Large-Eye-Cup-PMW-200-PMW200-Used-Genuine-Sony-/232918596617

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can buy those aftermarket if you really feel like you need one.

Also keep in mind that lower end bodies typically have 95% coverage of the captured image. So depending on what one means by "see the whole frame" that could be part of it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, although I think it would just look kinda ridiculous hanging off my SLR body, the camcorder was big enough (despite being so compact) it could kind of get away with it. I didn't use it much anyway, as I mainly shot with the screen due to shooting gigs in small spaces where I needed enough wits about me so I didn't get kicked in the head by a crowdsurfer.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Eyeglass wearing photographers everywhere chortle.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Sauer posted:

Eyeglass wearing photographers everywhere chortle.

No joke my eyelashes touch the lenses of sunglasses when I wear them... I was using a rangefinder camera today where the framelines were riiight at the edge of a huge viewfinder which meant I had to get my eye super close to see them which caused this whole problem.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Blackhawk posted:

No joke my eyelashes touch the lenses of sunglasses when I wear them... I was using a rangefinder camera today where the framelines were riiight at the edge of a huge viewfinder which meant I had to get my eye super close to see them which caused this whole problem.

Just take a wider shot and crop it after.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Just take a wider shot and crop it after.

But...but my megapickles! Full frame!!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

rio posted:

Even worse, film :P grainy-rear end film in a grainy developer so I don't have many megapickels to play with

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Film shooters got it made. Nikons, Pentax M series, Olympus OM series, waist level finders... all glasses wearing heaven.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
I wear glasses, and my complaint about not being able to put my eye up to the viewfinder is that I can't see the the exposure meter on the sides of the view. While it effects all of my cameras, it's mostly more of a problem on my old film cameras that don't have any other visible meter.

Also, it makes it really difficult to frame a shot when something near the edges is important.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
You just put your glasses in front of the lens when shooting. Holy hell, how do you people not know this?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I believe you can also buy prescription eyepieces so you can take your glasses off.

Or use live view. :v:

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
I don't wear glasses but isn't that the whole point of diopter adjustment, so that you can match the viewfinder to your eyes and not have to wear your glasses to shoot?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Technically yes, but the range is a bit small and may not adjust far enough for people with really poo poo eyes.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Also doesn’t work for astigmatism :saddowns:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Hello Spaceman posted:

Also doesn’t work for astigmatism :saddowns:

I was about to post the same thing... I'm with ya buddy. I've never had a problem with glasses and the viewfinder on my x-t3 though.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

poemdexter posted:

I was about to post the same thing... I'm with ya buddy. I've never had a problem with glasses and the viewfinder on my x-t3 though.

I sorta get away with diopter adjustment and no glasses, so stuff is just blurry in a specific angle.

Worst is walking around without glasses when I have my camera out. I end up squinting at a lot of stuff that I’m not taking photos of.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

rio posted:

Yeah but all lenses are softer at the edges and corners of the frame. So you’re just picking out the sharpest part of the picture.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Does anyone use Capture One for RAW editing? I hear it is better for manipulating color but I usually stick to photoshop for that anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thom12255 posted:

Does anyone use Capture One for RAW editing? I hear it is better for manipulating color but I usually stick to photoshop for that anyway.

I did for a short while. It was good and I liked it but they raised the price significantly within my trial period as after writing them didn’t want to support the company. Might be petty but being quoted one price during a trial and then having it jacked up mid trial seemed to be a good indication of how much they care about customers.

Looking between the images I processed in capture one vs. Lightroom I don’t see a noticeable difference, despite liking Capture One. The color was probably marginally better but in real world comparisons I’d be surprised if anyone could see it. I liked the way they handled sharpening as well.