Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

pro twitter handle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Endless Mike posted:

actually people like to be able to walk into a store and buy a pack of gum without waiting 10 minutes to see if they actually have the money and spending $40 or the privilege of buying that pack of gum.

no, see, the lightning network will solve that problem because you will fund your gum channel and then the store will take the gum money out of the gum channel instead of telling you to gently caress off because

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

...! posted:

Would you rather use a currency that is enforced by code, or one that is enforced by bombs?

Bombs for me. Sounds like the cool kind of currency.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
its a trick question! remember that bitcoin jesus is a serial mailbomber, the bomb backed currency is the bit_coin

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Boxturret posted:

its a trick question! remember that bitcoin jesus is a serial mailbomber, the bomb backed currency is the bit_coin

plus those bomb threats that got sent out asking for payment in bits coin

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
those had a great disclaimer

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

has anybody baked bitscones yet?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

El_Elegante posted:

those had a great disclaimer

lol, I forgot about that bit(coin)

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

AlbieQuirky posted:

no, see, the lightning network will solve that problem because you will fund your gum channel and then the store will take the gum money out of the gum channel instead of telling you to gently caress off because

the holy blockchain is so revolutionary that it cannot be used at all and must be circumvented to make our "money" work

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

imagine downloading a program off the internet and thinking that it makes you entitled to rule over the world and be worshipped as gods as society slides into abject chaos and ruin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

kinda selfish and sociopathic imho

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
this is the plot of The Net starring Sandra Bullock

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

...! posted:

gammabum 1 point 6 hours ago*

So, let me propose a (incomplete) thought-experiment to answer this question: Can we control Gov't via their involvement in crypto?:

Scenario: you owe taxes, but your only asset is crypto, (& want gov't to 'seize' asset at high-value moment)

You go to court ($$), lose case. Subsequently, (time passes) Gov't sells your ('seized') crypto for less than you paid.

You purchase crypto at this lower price point.

rinse, repeat?????? (my brain has fizzled here... 'good luck, Jim').

so much to unpack here

- this plan hinges on number go down, which is not something butters usually predict
- controlling government is not a thing that happens as a result of this plan, but as a prerequisite (making them seize an asset at a specific time)
- not to mention timing the peak
- but you're timing the peak without selling, instead relying on the government to seize your assets for your debt as a roundabout way of selling (???)
- part of the plan is to spend money taking the government to court with the expectation you will lose
- and it's supposed to be repeatable??????

:wtc:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

lol, I forgot about that bit(coin)
my favorite part is that he'll check every forty minutes

should I say I'll check every hour? no, that's not often enough. every thirty minutes? no, I'll look desperate. how about every...forty minutes. yeah. that's the ticket.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

despite recent revelations in the bitcoin space i am going to continue to use dog dick coffee table because you simply can't drop coon cock coffee table into a sentence without also making sure that everyone knows you're using it as the shorthand for a raccoon, the animal, and in no other context, just for the alliteration.

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!
Waiting For Critical Mass (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 10 hours ago * by BitcoinCanSaveUsAll

It comes down to the laws of physics when you are referring to an open and free market with a finite Supply and an increasing demand. 17.5 million Bitcoin / 7.5 billion humans + the fact that in this new paradigm we are able to take physical possession of the asset. Additionally this asset has all of the properties to make a superior currency than anything that we have ever had in the history of economics. There will have to be a point at which the price Expressed in fiat currency (that has unlimited quantities) will start to go hyper parabolic beyond anything that any of us can imagine. Think about it this way. I know for a fact that I will never sell all of my Bitcoin regardless of how little or how much the price becomes. I also know that there are several other like-minded people out there continue to dollar cost average regardless of the price and hold their own private keys. This fact cannot continue without the price of Bitcoin going exponentially higher considering it there's only 17.5 million and that after the next halvening the inflation rate will be less than that of gold which has been the soundest hardest money Humanity has ever known prior to the invention of Bitcoin!

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Ghostlight posted:

despite recent revelations in the bitcoin space i am going to continue to use dog dick coffee table because you simply can't drop coon cock coffee table into a sentence without also making sure that everyone knows you're using it as the shorthand for a raccoon, the animal, and in no other context, just for the alliteration.

procyonid peen coffee table

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

...! posted:

the fact that in this new paradigm we are able to take physical possession of the asset

thats not bitcoin

...¡ are you just taking random cultists and replacing their object of obsession with bitcoin now?

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
https://mobile.twitter.com/RealRossU/status/1081658265094709248

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

For the lives that you destroyed
so morally depraved
for the people you left grieving
I spit on your grave
#rhymesforross

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

gschmidl posted:

For the lives that you destroyed
so morally depraved
for the people you left grieving
I spit on your grave
#rhymesforross

He sought to kill
The feds did thwart
The judge cried "Life!"
Even though Ross ain't the swarthy sort
Burma Shave

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
roses are red
violets are blue
people are dead
because of you

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
feels like you guys are focusing on ross's negatives. sure he tried to have people killed and people actually did die because of silk road BUT he took a plastic bag off of a tree this one time

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Ghostlight posted:

God help me I just went and GISed it and it looks nothing like a raccoon, except that it has a big poofy striped tail like a raccoon.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
rosses are jailed
violence is bad
your appeals failed
isn’t that sad

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
someone with a twitter account pls send ross’s mom the rhymes I wrote specially for her. I’d do it myself but they banned my account for the unforgivable crime of not wanting to give them my phone number

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
just :lol: that anyone can defend ross in a world where mycrimes.txt exists.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
my crime.txt was planted on his computer by mark karpeles piggy backing on Ross’ torrent of the Colbert Report

try to keep up

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There once was a drug lord from Austin
Who was jailed simply for boasting.
Put his crimes in a file,
Some of them pretty vile.
And his mother's now twitter ghosting.

ghost
/ɡəʊst/
verb
gerund or present participle: ghosting
act as ghostwriter of (a work).

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
tbf, mycrimes.txt is such cartoonishly bad opsec that it's not a huge leap for even the mildly conspiracy minded to assume it's fake/planted

the feds probably couldn't believe their eyes when they saw it

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
its hilarious in retrospect that before he was caught people believed DPR was some opsec god

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i'm galaxy brained man ross. all of my financial transactions are stored on an easily traceable and immutable public ledger. i have an encryption setup on my laptop that only i know the password to, so it's certainly safe to type up every detail of my hundreds of crimes because once i'm richer than god i'll own an island and live like a drug lord kingpin outside the reach of law enforcement and can make a movie of my life. half of my top administrators are federal agents.

hey, there's this couple fighting behind me in the public library from which i run my criminal operations. lemme turn around and see what it's all about.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Zlodo posted:

its hilarious in retrospect that before he was caught people believed DPR was some opsec god

i bet he didn't even buy a bird bath

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
his lawyer hosed up. instead of trying to claim mycrimes.txt was fake they should have admitted he was really that dumb and argued for a reduced sentence on the grounds of diminished responsibility

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

probably should have done without that "i'm too white to go to jail" letter too

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

my crime.txt was planted on his computer by mark karpeles piggy backing on Ross’ torrent of the Colbert Report

try to keep up

i thought it was the dailyshow

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/pratyushbuddiga/status/1081953790096523269?s=19

bitcoin will somehow protect you from MEN WITH GUNS engaging in THIEVERY aka TAXATION

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

KnifeWrench posted:

so much to unpack here

- this plan hinges on number go down, which is not something butters usually predict
- controlling government is not a thing that happens as a result of this plan, but as a prerequisite (making them seize an asset at a specific time)
- not to mention timing the peak
- but you're timing the peak without selling, instead relying on the government to seize your assets for your debt as a roundabout way of selling (???)
- part of the plan is to spend money taking the government to court with the expectation you will lose
- and it's supposed to be repeatable??????

:wtc:

your forgetting the most critical point, what is he supposed to buy back those cheap coinz with if the govt seized his only asset????

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

NZAmoeba posted:

your forgetting the most critical point, what is he supposed to buy back those cheap coinz with if the govt seized his only asset????

the other bitcoins he hid under his birdbath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Hammerite posted:

God help me I just went and GISed it and it looks nothing like a raccoon, except that it has a big poofy striped tail like a raccoon.

im sorry i guess im the only person here who knows new world mammals

a cacomistle is a procyonid, the same family as raccoons, native to central america, but not brazil

these are the things you need to know to get ahead in the crypto antiques business. next thing you know you'll tell me you don't know how to distinguish between a civet cock coffee table and a binturong bellend coffee table.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 6, 2019