Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Ask for the full name, address and dob of the EU citizen making the request and then respond that you don’t have any record of anyone by that name.

Optional; replace all their posts on the forum with ‘this post has been removed at the request of [name, address, dob]’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Slamming your guild master with a GDPR inquiry is pretty lovely.

Rutibex posted:

I'd send them a bunch of nonsense and vague legal mumbo jumbo. Hopefully I can waste as much of Bob's money as possible before he realizes that EU laws don't apply to Canada.

I wonder why nearly every website that could possibly be visited by EU citizens now has a pop-up T&C about data, privacy and cookies, hmmmmmmmm... I'd leave the lawyering to LJC.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I wonder why nearly every website that could possibly be visited by EU citizens now has a pop-up T&C about data, privacy and cookies, hmmmmmmmm... I'd leave the lawyering to LJC.

iirc it will get blocked from euro ISP's due to non-compliance soooooo lol

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Ask for the full name, address and dob of the EU citizen making the request and then respond that you don’t have any record of anyone by that name.

Optional; replace all their posts on the forum with ‘this post has been removed at the request of [name, address, dob]’

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I wonder why nearly every website that could possibly be visited by EU citizens now has a pop-up T&C about data, privacy and cookies, hmmmmmmmm...

I don't. It's because those websites have owners with servers and/or other assets in the EU. The OP (being a random Canadian running a small web forum) does not have that.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

I don't. It's because those websites have owners with servers and/or other assets in the EU. The OP (being a random Canadian running a small web forum) does not have that.

Yeah, his website will just get blocked in the EU. Tough poo poo if he has corp members in the EU, otherwise no-one cares. :shrug:

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
They are not going to block stuff. People would poo poo on them very hard.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

yogizh posted:

They are not going to block stuff. People would poo poo on them very hard.

ah, the nebulous "people".

The only people who would be affected by the block of that particular website by EU ISPs would be European corp members for his space guild, I doubt that they would roll back a block, if one were implemented, because one or 2 European people were inconvenienced by the block caused by OP not complying with GDPR.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
What I am saying is that they won't block poo poo because it doesn't have a popup. Do you really think that Europeans will allow some unvoted fucks to block 3/4 of the internet ?
GDPR is not meant to do that and so far they were not able to manage physical businesses. They have created a bureaucratic nightmare and I believe that blocking gaming sites is last of their problems for next
10 years.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

yogizh posted:

Do you really think that Europeans will allow some unvoted fucks to block 3/4 of the internet ?

Did you think before 2016 that Americans would vote in a neofascist?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

orange juche posted:

Don’t worry Europe is working on that too

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015

orange juche posted:

Yes, they have mentioned it on a comedy roast.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orange juche posted:

My dude whatever do you think of American history, x or otherwise

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
From what I heard lately. It is pretty hard to censor internet without having infrastructure laid out from the start. Also Tor exists. It is good enough for this purpose.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Addamere posted:

My dude whatever do you think of American history, x or otherwise

America is a land of contrasts, and the answer is it is indeed time for guillotines.

I also laughed when the Nazi kid got the back of his head splattered all over the wall in the bathroom, but ymmv.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

DRUMPF :argh:

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?
Clearly the EU needs to build a wall around Canada's internet.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is anybody monitoring the newbie email account? I'd like to get my ESI.goonfleet account sorted so people can give me free money and skill books.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

do not play the space game

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

GDPR exists explicitly to make it impossible for tech companies to operate within the law. It's deliberately batshit and opaque. It serves as a bullet to execute large US companies operating across the Atlantic should relations deteriorate (massively unlikely, but important) and as a blackmail/leverage mechanism to make them pay some drat tax. The knock on effect is that anyone can :commissar: tech startups now.

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 6, 2019

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

jiggerypokery posted:

GDPR exists explicitly to make it impossible for tech companies to operate within the law. It's deliberately batshit and opaque. It serves as a bullet to execute large US companies operating across the Atlantic should relations deteriorate (massively unlikely, but important) and as a blackmail/leverage mechanism to make them pay some drat tax. The knock on effect is that anyone can :commissar: tech startups now.

That's uhhhhhh one view.

Maybe, to take a different tack, these US companies should implement proper controls over personal data if they want to do business in the EU. You sound like the sort of person who railed against SOX or HIPAA/HITECH or PCI DSS.

gently caress US tech companies cavalier attitudes to privacy, in short, if they can't protect my data. If your business model relies on exploiting consumer data, get hosed.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:
It is my understanding that the GDPR only applies to real companies and businesses. Some private person running an EVE space nerd guild should just be able to shrug it off because they don't do it for business reasons.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015

Morkfang posted:

It is my understanding that the GDPR only applies to real companies and businesses. Some private person running an EVE space nerd guild should just be able to shrug it off because they don't do it for business reasons.

There is a list of things that are explicitly considered personal information. No data mining, no cookies = no GDPR. At least I don't see a way they could legally enforce that on individuals. I have talked to a ground school principal about it, he was very pissed off as the state never gave them any guidelines or tools to fix this. And that is like info of 6-15 year olds. Talked to trade inspectors about it and they were pretty much the same except the part they can ask for the signed permissions regarding our customer cards. I have learned that they don't plan to enforce it unless a person raises an official protest if the company fails to remove personal data or denies the "right to be forgotten".

This is of course different in every country. I can imagine that Germany has way more resources to enforce these jokes than Slovakia.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?
Found out why I was banned from r/eve.

Wasn't as hilarious as was hoping, but apparently rocking the Amok(dot) flair when they go on a post brigade is enough to get everyone rocking the Amok(dot) flair banned from the subreddit.

:toot:

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.

Xolve posted:

Found out why I was banned from r/eve.

Wasn't as hilarious as was hoping, but apparently rocking the Amok(dot) flair when they go on a post brigade is enough to get everyone rocking the Amok(dot) flair banned from the subreddit.

:toot:

R/Eve has been in the downhill for a while :(

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Spam Musubi posted:

Much like your presence, Angelique.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

jiggerypokery posted:

yeah, gdpr owns af

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spam Musubi posted:

Reddit in general tends to have absolutely terrible forum cops

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

EVE is basically full loot pvp for fucktards. Can you name a full loot pvp game that is so devoid of player skill and that caters to the most pathetic of risk averse grief monkeys? ie: commonplace suicide ganking.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

oh hey i got more out of him

I lose 1 bil pod a 6+ years ago while autopiloting. That was the day I stopped paying a sub FYI. It wasn't about the quantity of loss for me as much as it was the cherry on top to realized how poo poo the game really was. Here you have a protected class (suicide gankers) who you can't retaliate against in any impactful way who takes no risk for their reward. The game just isn't worth playing imo if you can't autopilot in high sec or do activities while afk. It is time consuming tedium and the rewards aren't worth it. PVE in EVE seems designed to serve you up to the most awful of gamers. The pvp is devoid of player skill.

Why do you guys still bother with this trash? Do you know there are other full loot pvp games out there that actually require player skills? or are you just so invested or addicted at this point that you can't break from it?

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

oh hey i got more out of him

I lose 1 bil pod a 6+ years ago while autopiloting. That was the day I stopped paying a sub FYI. It wasn't about the quantity of loss for me as much as it was the cherry on top to realized how poo poo the game really was. Here you have a protected class (suicide gankers) who you can't retaliate against in any impactful way who takes no risk for their reward. The game just isn't worth playing imo if you can't autopilot in high sec or do activities while afk. It is time consuming tedium and the rewards aren't worth it. PVE in EVE seems designed to serve you up to the most awful of gamers. The pvp is devoid of player skill.

Why do you guys still bother with this trash? Do you know there are other full loot pvp games out there that actually require player skills? or are you just so invested or addicted at this point that you can't break from it?

what is this from

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Candlelight Virgil posted:

what is this from

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/ad600d/is_this_shit_game_dead_yet/eddyked/

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.

Xolve posted:

Much like your presence, Angelique.

Haven’t been on here in a while. New job, more kids, rip.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe anyone actually uses autopilot.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Truga posted:

yeah, gdpr owns af

anything that makes people add more popups to websites :golfclap:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Addamere posted:

Reddit in general tends to have absolutely terrible forum cops

the upvote downvote system means that the overall tone can go incredibly negative when people start getting angsty. after a while people start downvoting positive stuff just because they want to feel justified about quitting.

I've been through a dying game before.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I appreciate the helpful advice in comments and on twitter, I really do. But at the end of the day my industrial activities in EVE were always a casual one man affair trying to have some fun making a small business on one screen while working on another and the two ganks this past month have shown me that its become more frustrating than its worth.

I was at keyboard, watching ships around me, ready for danger and still I failed. I had to know the proper way to log off, I had to have scout alts, I had to wait for the right time, avoid certain systems, join channels, etc etc etc. On the other hand, the gankers sit there and ping a channel when a target is sighted, target me, hit F1, and get a kill. The asymmetry of it all galls me still, and has for years. If I can't casually have my high sec little business without this stress, I'm going to quit. Other's can have it.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

EVE is basically full loot pvp for fucktards. Can you name a full loot pvp game that is so devoid of player skill and that caters to the most pathetic of risk averse grief monkeys? ie: commonplace suicide ganking.

Runescape?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How are you gonna live in hisec and call anyone risk averse

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Whats the in-game goon channel? I tried LittleBees but it wad empty.

Rutibex posted:

Lol why didn't they trash all of this stuff before it popped? Just right click on it and it's gone forever.

This is what I would have done. I mean, if there were self destructs on a deployable and there was even a question of me losing it, I would blow the whole thing because gently caress you, thats why.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I mean the OP is an American who has a website hosted in the United States by an American company. Amazon might act on such a request, but I see no reason why this guy should.

He should tell the French lawyers to cross the Atlantic and make him. The fact is American companies that don’t do business in the EU—like news outlets based in the US for instance, ignore the poo poo out of these requests all day long because they are absolutely un-enforceable in the US.

Frankly I think ignoring these requests by major companies is total bullshit, but clearly I feel differently when some butthurt EU citizen in Eve gets mad at his old corp for being kicked.