Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Bad opinion of mine: the only acceptable violence is State Violence.

Citizens should not be harming each other because we're all family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
In a democratic state I favor state violence vs. gang or vigilante violence, yeah.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

forgot the politics rule

Gripweed has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Jan 6, 2019

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

All violence is bad, without exception.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Let's ask the nazi expert if violence against nazis is a good idea

Hitler advocating for brutality, how surprising. But I agree, if you want to do political violence you are basically Hitler.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

docbeard posted:

All violence is bad, without exception.

:wrong:

Combat sports are awesome.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Yeah, big fan of combat sports. However you could argue that if 2 people agree to a contest, it's not really violence.

You'd be wrong, but there is a huge difference between that scenario and violence in pretty much any other context.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Jan 6, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^^^ Agreed: informed, regulated and mutually-consented-to violence is cool and good.

Indiscriminate bombing of civilians is wrong, bad people who are capable of learning to not be bad should be re-educated, if at all possible. That having been said, if you live in a civilian population centre and your rulers are staging attacks from/storing their munitions there, that's on your rulers, not the opposing military trying to neutralise the threat of said attacks. THAT having been said, the Allies and I'm certain likely even the Soviets engaged in indiscriminate terror campaigns against civilian populations and that is still wrong and the blame lies with the commanders/rulers for targetting them.

PHUO: Terrorising civilians indiscriminately is wrong, no matter whom.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Revive gladiator duels. To first blood if not to death.

Also, sitting politicians should be required to defend their positions with the sword.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Remember when they tried to bring back American gladiators but it didn't really catch on because it didn't have the magic?

It was sad.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, sitting politicians should be required to defend their positions with the sword.

It's called MMA, but granted they don't have swords. You can't really do what you're describing, because if you run your sword through the liver and guts the ref is not gonna be able to do much to stop the fight in time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tubgoat posted:

^^^ Agreed: informed, regulated and mutually-consented-to violence is cool and good.

Indiscriminate bombing of civilians is wrong, bad people who are capable of learning to not be bad should be re-educated, if at all possible. That having been said, if you live in a civilian population centre and your rulers are staging attacks from/storing their munitions there, that's on your rulers, not the opposing military trying to neutralise the threat of said attacks. THAT having been said, the Allies and I'm certain likely even the Soviets engaged in indiscriminate terror campaigns against civilian populations and that is still wrong and the blame lies with the commanders/rulers for targetting them.

Oh, the Soviets and Allies both did horrific things to civilian population. Soviets did a lot of it to their own population too. Winners don't have to answer for that though. WW2 was pretty much just a giant poo poo show.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Agree with the politicians sword-fighting thing.

AoC for eternal dictator! :swoon:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tubgoat posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm able to drive and have, extensively at one time, I just do not like it at all and ALWAYS feel like I've just cheated death an impossible number of times after arriving home after each trip. No one else seems to feel this way. I also can't hold the wheel loosely or relaxed-ly, even when trying; I can only grip it like the windpipe of a Nazi that's directly threatening my partner.

Perhaps you should seek therapy

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
"Hi, therapist, hurtling down a road in a metal box powered by explosions made from putrefied dinosaurs as I try really hard not to accidentally brush up against innumerable others doing the same freaks me out a little. Have you got some drugs that'll enable me to soar through the air like a bird? Hey, what are those beefy guys in white coats doing? Wait, you don't understand, this pink tile in my pocket said you would help me!"

If you're genuinely trying to help me, kindly gently caress off. Otherwise, gently caress the gently caress off permanently.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Wow

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I'm guessing you have that anxiety stuff or something.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

"Hi, therapist, hurtling down a road in a metal box powered by explosions made from putrefied dinosaurs as I try really hard not to accidentally brush up against innumerable others doing the same freaks me out a little. Have you got some drugs that'll enable me to soar through the air like a bird? Hey, what are those beefy guys in white coats doing? Wait, you don't understand, this pink tile in my pocket said you would help me!"

If you're genuinely trying to help me, kindly gently caress off. Otherwise, gently caress the gently caress off permanently.

I think you have a pretty warped view of therapy

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Isn't letting the best sword fighter be in charge basically how monarchy starts out?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Gladiator battles were rarely to death actually :eng101:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Saagonsa posted:

I think you have a pretty warped view of therapy

Sorry, I live in America, not a first-world country. The psychiatric business here is incentivised to facilitate the extraction of our labor on behalf of Capital by any means necessary, not aid us in living fulfilling worthwhile lives.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Tubgoat posted:

Agreed, terrorism needs to be calculated and done with a clear and concise message

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

MizPiz posted:

Agreed, terrorism needs to be calculated and done with a clear and concise message

Unironically agree, and terrorising civilians is wholly counterproductive to any war effort unless your goal is genocide or permanent war.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The threat of violence is often enough - that is how the Ulster Volunteers secured the freedom of Northern Ireland.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Realtalk: How were they able to make credible threats without being burned alive in their homes in the middle of the night or shot in the streets en masse by the opposition? Insurgency really only worked with a reasonably small technological disparity, nowadays the rulers have weapons and logistics/intelligence resources that science magazine editors could only dream of.

For the degree of disparity, it really may as well be black magic.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/queenozymandias/status/1081942282234933248

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Fully agree, Dolly owns.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Tubgoat posted:

Realtalk: How were they able to make credible threats without being burned alive in their homes in the middle of the night or shot in the streets en masse by the opposition? Insurgency really only worked with a reasonably small technological disparity, nowadays the rulers have weapons and logistics/intelligence resources that science magazine editors could only dream of.

For the degree of disparity, it really may as well be black magic.

Have you followed the riots in France? The French army could go in and shoot the yellow vest hooligans, but they don't. Internal politics work differently, and if they ever degrade to the level of "who actually can carry out their threats" that's a civil war.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Tubgoat posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm able to drive and have, extensively at one time, I just do not like it at all and ALWAYS feel like I've just cheated death an impossible number of times after arriving home after each trip. No one else seems to feel this way. I also can't hold the wheel loosely or relaxed-ly, even when trying; I can only grip it like the windpipe of a Nazi that's directly threatening my partner.

i sorta feel the same way but it's more to do with the fact that driving is incredibly boring so my attention will probably seriously lapse if i don't try to fabricate a maximum attention at all times mindset - i'm artificially edgy/cranky on long trips and i hate it

i do envy people that are real zen about driving

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Long solo road trips are when I’m at my happiest. Especially if there’s time to take scenic routes instead of busy highways.

Although I once nearly killed myself by staring slackjawed at the Pacific in northern California instead of looking at the road, which was on a cliffside.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Long solo road trips are when I’m at my happiest. Especially if there’s time to take scenic routes instead of busy highways.

Although I once nearly killed myself by staring slackjawed at the Pacific in northern California instead of looking at the road, which was on a cliffside.

Yikes, talk about a view to die for!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

see, i love long hikes for similar reasons and i too have nearly killed myself staring slackjawed at a mighty body of water instead of looking at the bear that was straight ahead on the trail

tbf in the corner of my eye the bear just looked like a large shadow all curled up against a tree

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

hard counter posted:

see, i love long hikes for similar reasons and i too have nearly killed myself staring slackjawed at a mighty body of water instead of looking at the bear that was straight ahead on the trail

tbf in the corner of my eye the bear just looked like a large shadow all curled up against a tree

I am terrified of bears after reading descriptions of how slow it is to be eaten alive by one, so I'll leave my hiking to Europe where they have (mostly) eradicated them.

It was pretty cute/funny though that a bear wandering into switzerland while I lived there was headline news.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Papajohns putting garlic sauce and those little pepper things in every pizza box is annoying and they should knock it off unless requested to do it. I don't like having to throw out extra things before crushing the box and recycling it. I have never once seen anyone eat those things or use the sauce, why do they do it?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Papajohns putting garlic sauce and those little pepper things in every pizza box is annoying and they should knock it off unless requested to do it. I don't like having to throw out extra things before crushing the box and recycling it. I have never once seen anyone eat those things or use the sauce, why do they do it?

There are definitely garlic sauce fiends out there but I’ve never even heard of someone eating the pepper.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The garlic sauce has a really gross mouthfeel to me. Like I can be a gross fool for fatty sauces like blue cheese but papa’s garlic sauce feels like it’s going to bypass my stomach and just go straight into my arteries.

Solution: don’t ever get Papa John’s. Bad pizza with bad sauce made by a bad man.

Pizza Pizza and Domino’s are the bad pizza of champions.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The garlic sauce has a really gross mouthfeel to me. Like I can be a gross fool for fatty sauces like blue cheese but papa’s garlic sauce feels like it’s going to bypass my stomach and just go straight into my arteries.

Solution: don’t ever get Papa John’s. Bad pizza with bad sauce made by a bad man.

The bad man was forced out of the company though

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm only doing it because they have a promotion for free cheesy bread which is basically a free small cheese pizza with less suace. Usually i'm a dominos brooklyn style pepperoni+banana pepper guy, but if a sale is good enough i can be drawn away.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gripweed posted:

Model trains have their own proprietary nonsense. N Scale, O scale, HO scale, FOH scale more like.

I don't know if this is the best joke about train scales ever made but gently caress, it's up there. And it's hosed up that it passed without notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I’d imagine it’s the only joke about train scales