Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Me at documentary festival: anyone heard of a little movie called Idiocracy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kurtofan posted:

The person who cancels the date should be the one to propose a new time, right

generally yeah if they cancel it but they're still interested, most people will make sure to propose a replacement

sometimes people are shy, but most of the time if they cancel it and don't follow up then it means they aren't interested

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

for how much everyone cries about social media, TV has had a way worse effect and impact on our society and culture and I can't wait until cable TV collapses entirely

it's mostly coming back through streaming plans, i'd expect they'll work out deals to become more and more aggregate to include things like the premium channels/services so you don't have to pay for them all individually. kinda feels like it's already heading in that direction

unless if you mean the actual programs and then i dunno, i think we're in it for the long haul there. competition might increase for "quality" programming (read: still poo poo, but quality as far as the average person who watches regular tv is concerned) and kill off the worst of the bunch in those online streaming packages, but that's it

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Kurtofan posted:

The person who cancels the date should be the one to propose a new time, right

If you cancelled, invite them over for bone sesh

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SKULL.GIF posted:

for how much everyone cries about social media, TV has had a way worse effect and impact on our society and culture and I can't wait until cable TV collapses entirely

streaming tv has become such a mess that it's given cable tv the opportunity to regroup

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

ArfJason posted:

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Inspector Hound posted:

Well besides that though

it'd be impressive from a human endeavor standpoint, this is up there with atlantropa in ambition and scope (along with the same amount of racism)

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Spooky Halloween font on a Jesus forward I got from my mom

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i mean ffs it's 2019 and fox is still advertising its millionth loving singing show

people somehow still watch that garbage

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

emfive posted:

It's about 25 miles south of Austin, and like 45 miles from San Antonio. There's stuff in San Marcos but only if you're an abnormal Texas appreciator like me who's lived here for decades; to most people it's a wide spot in the road, though there is a nice college campus (where LBJ went :911: )

[edit] and any "high end" apartments in San Marcos are explicitly designed to be student housing for Texas State. At least the vast majority.

The Outlet Mall (actually two, one right next to the other; the "Premium Outlets" and the "Tanger Outlets"). People drive from one Mall to the other causing big traffic issues. They are literally across the street from each other.

There's a Fudge outlet in the Tanger mall but most people consider it to be the "low class" outlet mall because the Gucci outlet is in the other one.

for normal people this is literally the most interesting stuff about San Marcos.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

generally yeah if they cancel it but they're still interested, most people will make sure to propose a replacement

sometimes people are shy, but most of the time if they cancel it and don't follow up then it means they aren't interested

I once was invited

triple sulk posted:

it's mostly coming back through streaming plans, i'd expect they'll work out deals to become more and more aggregate to include things like the premium channels/services so you don't have to pay for them all individually. kinda feels like it's already heading in that direction

unless if you mean the actual programs and then i dunno, i think we're in it for the long haul there. competition might increase for "quality" programming (read: still poo poo, but quality as far as the average person who watches regular tv is concerned) and kill off the worst of the bunch in those online streaming packages, but that's it

someone has to kill the babysitter

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

triple sulk posted:

i mean ffs it's 2019 and fox is still advertising its millionth loving singing show

people somehow still watch that garbage

America is a garbage country that likes watching garbage, op

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

i mean

eurovision

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Idiocracy should absolutely have won the academy award. Which category? Well try rewatching it now and you tell me

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

ArfJason posted:

:boom:
:eyepop:
:vince:
:popeye:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Jesus Christ. I'm done, just SO done. If anyone wanted proof Idiocracy is becoming a documentary, there you go! Just disgusting.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That Jared quote lmao

Serious Business Guys must spout buzzwords like that when threatened like squids with ink

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

emfive posted:

for normal people this is literally the most interesting stuff about San Marcos.

theres a huge chinese population in the area, and you'll see actual sandwich board signs around those malls, entirely in chinese advertising something or other.

gently caress now i want dim sum

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Joseph Smith transcribed the prophecy of Idiocracy with the seer stones

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

FAUXTON posted:

You might say he's David Duke without the balls

the original 'david duke without the baggage' still works too

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

emfive posted:

It's about 25 miles south of Austin, and like 45 miles from San Antonio. There's stuff in San Marcos but only if you're an abnormal Texas appreciator like me who's lived here for decades; to most people it's a wide spot in the road, though there is a nice college campus (where LBJ went :911: )

[edit] and any "high end" apartments in San Marcos are explicitly designed to be student housing for Texas State. At least the vast majority.

The Outlet Mall (actually two, one right next to the other; the "Premium Outlets" and the "Tanger Outlets"). People drive from one Mall to the other causing big traffic issues. They are literally across the street from each other.

There's a Fudge outlet in the Tanger mall but most people consider it to be the "low class" outlet mall because the Gucci outlet is in the other one.

In the past 8 months or so this company has thrown something like 110 million into buying the Ridgeline and Avocet, idk where those are but from what I've found it's basically a huge vehicle for hauling plundered wealth out of China.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
idiocrazy

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I think it's supposed to look like old worn out letters? Buy yeah, Halloween font all the way.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

You might say he's David Duke without the balls

more like David no-duke

:smugdon:

becuz his rear end got shott off :vince:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dont be mean to me posted:

i mean

eurovision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHXDMe6QV-U

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Lmao, just lmfafo at president twitter. Idiocracy come true. Should've known it was a documentary all along.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

triple sulk posted:

I dropped my cable TV and went with PSVue for streaming and bought a mid-model Roku

they have a "mega package" that includes HBO, Showtime and all that stuff but I'm on the 2nd-cheapest plan which still counts as a "cable login" for stuff like FX, adult swim and other networks which put all their old stuff online to stream

it's worth it just for not having to pay an insane amount for the cable box every month

also there's all kinds of stupid free poo poo to watch on PlutoTV and like eight other services

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

yeah right now it's like what, a 30' high wall? with wind exposure category c or d (it will experience a metric fuckload of wind exposure one way or the other) and the steel would have to be set at 12" centers to keep people from shimmying through meaning it's basically catching almost all of the wind blowing against it....those vertical steel posts are going to need to be like W8 or so sized steel with some relatively boss sized wind bracing behind each and every one

the galvanization on the steel would need to be loving insanely thick to have a reasonable time till first maintenance unless they plan on having border patrol kitted out with cherry pickers to have them galv spray everything as they go down the line. i don't even know where to begin to see how much zinc is mined each year and how much galvanization material is produced yearly but i'm assuming it's a massive chunk of what america produces

not to mention the concrete footers or caissons necessary to support the wall, guess they're not going to ready mix that poo poo lol. i work in an area where concrete is easily brought to a site and weather conditions aren't much of an issue, i have no idea how the gently caress you would try to set concrete in a place that has such temperature extremes

the engineer in me is like "yes a giant mega project like this would be fun to see how it plays out" because it would be one of the largest engineering and construction undertakings in human history, it will require several times more concrete than the hoover dam, somewhere around 5-10 billion pounds of steel in just rebar for the concrete alone which would represent roughly 1/3rd of all american yearly steel output, and i don't know how much of that can be formed as rebar

i don't do much concrete reinforcement design in my job so i'm going to be lazy and just assume they'll use trumpcrete that is magic and needs no steel and can perfectly hold this giant dumb loving wall up from toppling forces. just to make the wall "tamper" proof it needs a continuous 5' deep concrete footer, and ideally 3' wide to prevent it from being easily punched through, and, no matter what steel it is, you need a pretty big loving footer to land all that steel in

so you get 2000mi*5*3 and you get roughly 160 cubic million feet of concrete, at roughly 150lbs per cuft for some relatively respectable strength concrete, which is about 10% of total concrete output in america (which, just the way concrete is, tends to be localized because concrete doesn't travel very well). so we need to build an insanely large supply chain for all the aggregate etc just for that alone

that $5bn number $2.5m a mile, and just using some kludge numbers for that concrete you end up using half of that money just in concrete alone lol not even including the labor to transport and put the concrete in place, all the steel necessary, and the steel wall itself

not to mention even if all regulatory concerns are somehow bypassed, it's still a legal nightmare for land acquisition because i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that 75% of the proposed route is on private land?

and that you'd need to find tens of thousands of workers who would be willing to go live out in an inhospitable area in temporary housing, along with building all the necessary logistical stuff like sanitary sewer, hospitals, potable water, food, blah blah blah

like the wall is just so loving insanely stupid from a feasibility standpoint and it hurts to even think about. it's like "yeah let's just re-direct the entirety of the american economy to build a wall that does nothing". it's loving painful to see people talk about it like it will actually happen instead of a giant grift by bechtel where $5bn is absconded with for nothing in return. $5bn barely loving covers the "cheap" part that can be done from a desktop like acquisition or design. the whole thing will run into the trillions loving easily

also not to mention people will just roll out to the wall with a torch and make off with some free steel

I keep thinking about how long it would take to cut out one of the steel slats so someone could shimmy through. At work I once used a small plasma cutter and based on the media pics of the wall mockups you could probably cut out a slat in under two minutes with that cutter, a minute to slice the top and a minute to slice the bottom. It was a pretty heavy unit, I wouldn't consider it portable in the sense that one or two people could carry it across several miles of rough terrain on their own, and it was a plug-in unit too so you'd need a generator too. I figure some sort of gas torch would be a much more practical solution, maybe that would take longer but I can't imagine it would take more than 10 minutes to cut out a couple of those slats with a variety of portable industrial equipment you can buy at Home Depot or order from Amazon.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i hope hes not going to ghost me

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://mobile.twitter.com/DanielPipes/status/1081859199104102400

Palestinians: Say curse words and say that want to remove opposition leaders out of office.
Israeli Conservatives: Murder journalists and babies

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Dumb Lowtax posted:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

why does he look baked

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Chokes McGee posted:

Im warming up to living in it but if you dont like tech jobs and weird meetup hobbies austin is loving terrible

dont buy the music capital hype its all hipster AAA stuff, if you want real music just go to SA

that hype comes from the 90's, austin is just a lame san francisco now

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

pillsburysoldier posted:

Not sure that tops the pedophilia but I haven't read the comments or tweets yet

people making excuses for his behavior is pretty bad

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Filthy Hans posted:

I keep thinking about how long it would take to cut out one of the steel slats so someone could shimmy through. At work I once used a small plasma cutter and based on the media pics of the wall mockups you could probably cut out a slat in under two minutes with that cutter, a minute to slice the top and a minute to slice the bottom. It was a pretty heavy unit, I wouldn't consider it portable in the sense that one or two people could carry it across several miles of rough terrain on their own, and it was a plug-in unit too so you'd need a generator too. I figure some sort of gas torch would be a much more practical solution, maybe that would take longer but I can't imagine it would take more than 10 minutes to cut out a couple of those slats with a variety of portable industrial equipment you can buy at Home Depot or order from Amazon.

Just ram it with a fuckken pickup truck dawg

edit: hell, just rip a slat out by pulling it with a couple trucks and a tow chain, no need to ram

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 19:53 on Jan 6, 2019

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

sean spicer go on chapo

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

pushpins posted:

Put posters like this all over the wall

More like N blasting zone

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

skaboomizzy posted:

I dropped my cable TV and went with PSVue for streaming and bought a mid-model Roku

they have a "mega package" that includes HBO, Showtime and all that stuff but I'm on the 2nd-cheapest plan which still counts as a "cable login" for stuff like FX, adult swim and other networks which put all their old stuff online to stream

it's worth it just for not having to pay an insane amount for the cable box every month

also there's all kinds of stupid free poo poo to watch on PlutoTV and like eight other services

i use youtube tv and it's generally fine and one of the cheapest plans out there

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Thought you all were describing Palm Springs, California with the outlet mall traffic jams with chinese signs and people lining up to buy $10000000000 coats and shoes on discount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene