Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

corn in the bible posted:

god drat it where are the chocobos

You can't halt progress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

And yet chocobos are plentiful in FF15 alongside Rolls-Royces and Florence + the Machine

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Kinda missed superboss chat. But I want to say that I think FFV made the best super bosses by accident. The game is broken in weird ways so they're basically just system mastery puzzles. I think it's really cool because this leaves the normal final boss as still challenging in comparison. Too many games have super bosses that leave the final boss feeling unsatisfying, especially if you fight them after the super bosses.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Finished Tyranny and it was a pretty amazing ride.

Big mistake to side with the Voices and send all those powerful beings for him to devour tho. What an absolute bitch of a fight.

Also it took me all the way to the credits to realize I missed a party member(Sirin) lol

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 6, 2019

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Finished Tyranny and it was a pretty amazing ride.

Big mistake to side with the Voices and send all those powerful beings for him to devour tho. What an absolute bitch of a fight.

Also it took me all the way to the credits to realize I missed a party member(Sirin) lol

I managed to do the independent ending and Voices was barely a footnote of a fight. Was he just really strong? Or did he summon a lot of adds?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm glad with Tyranny that they patched in being able to just stay loyal to Kyros because being a loyal toady for the evil overlord was one of the game's selling points and originally only having the option to rebel against Kyros which forces you into more heroic-like role really defeated the purpose of what the game was touted as.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Nasgate posted:

I managed to do the independent ending and Voices was barely a footnote of a fight. Was he just really strong? Or did he summon a lot of adds?

He summons every character you sent to him for as long as the fight goes for, and if you don't kill their specters they can quickly overpower you. The Beastwoman I sent was spectacularly stupid because I had no reason to do it and she had some loving annoying earth spells.

I ended up casting the Edict of Stone in the area to at least reduce the Prone effect on my party.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Tyranny is real good. Someday I’ll get past chapter one

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've got bored of Skate so I'm moving on to Eternal Sonata, which is an RPG about... the renowned composer, Chopin? JAPAN! :argh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spend 50 hours watching Chopin die

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Or not

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rarity posted:

I'm moving on to Eternal Sonata, which is an RPG about... the renowned composer, Chopin? JAPAN! :argh:

condolences

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
please enjoy this fifty-minute unskippable cutscene where a a sixteen-year-old waxes on about existentialism, true love, and suicide as if written by a fifty-year-old man who understands none of the above

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Nasgate posted:

Kinda missed superboss chat. But I want to say that I think FFV made the best super bosses by accident. The game is broken in weird ways so they're basically just system mastery puzzles. I think it's really cool because this leaves the normal final boss as still challenging in comparison. Too many games have super bosses that leave the final boss feeling unsatisfying, especially if you fight them after the super bosses.

I believe that any good RPG should include a Superboss version of the final boss if you level up enough or do all the post-game content

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The White Dragon posted:

fifty-minute unskippable cutscene

:ohdear:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Black August posted:

I believe that any good RPG should include a Superboss version of the final boss if you level up enough or do all the post-game content

star ocean 2 does this but it's real bad

i'm not talking about a specific instance this just happens regularly in eternal sonata

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

Yup and I actually did it on Universal, not proud

Also I didn't find out about the Algol easy kill until after :saddowns:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Tactical Espionage Action: FOX HOUND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6cVqMHwgqQ

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The White Dragon posted:

Actually it owns

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
like mechanically limiter off indalecio is cool because it's basically just a test to see if you know all the game-breaking combos, but the problem is he just zips around the battlefield faster than you can ever move and he has a ridiculous amount of HP so it takes anywhere between 10 and 60+ minutes to kill him even if you make yourself invincible depending on the direction his AI decides to move in

algol doesn't work because it can't proc vs magic and that's the only thing he uses

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 6, 2019

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What are some goon approved tower defense games. I have harvest massive encounter and dungeon defenders, never played either, probably some other stuff. Things I can play in thirty minute sessions are good so no ten minute cutscenes or tutorials.

Want to start a new factorio game and build a thing that works but it's getting a big update by the end of the month.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hemingway To Go! posted:

What are some goon approved tower defense games. I have harvest massive encounter and dungeon defenders, never played either, probably some other stuff. Things I can play in thirty minute sessions are good so no ten minute cutscenes or tutorials.

X-Morph: Defense
Immortal Defense
Creeper World
Defender's Quest

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't know if he's difficult enough to be considered a superboss but Culex is good

they really should've had something like that in all the Mario RPGs so you could fight Paper Sephiroth or something in Thousand Year Door

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

I'm glad with Tyranny that they patched in being able to just stay loyal to Kyros because being a loyal toady for the evil overlord was one of the game's selling points and originally only having the option to rebel against Kyros which forces you into more heroic-like role really defeated the purpose of what the game was touted as.

I initially started towards this route, but felt that between the company my character kept and their experiences elsewise, the "gently caress you dad" ending felt most in line with my character.

Samuringa posted:

He summons every character you sent to him for as long as the fight goes for, and if you don't kill their specters they can quickly overpower you. The Beastwoman I sent was spectacularly stupid because I had no reason to do it and she had some loving annoying earth spells.

I ended up casting the Edict of Stone in the area to at least reduce the Prone effect on my party.

Ouch, screw every Earth mage in that game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's also the game where a character's death monologue takes so long to finish it actually flashes back to earlier in the monologue.

quote:

I'm glad with Tyranny that they patched in being able to just

Oh they did? Cool, hearing you couldn't turned me off trying the game, the whole premise of being some lovely middle manager sounded way more interesting than overthrowing the evil overlord for the millionth time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The trick to beating the superboss was to make a bunch of attack items that debuffed her and delayed her next turn. All of the death-by-a-thousand cuts stuff she sets up which made me eventually collapse were things she actually had to spend a turn setting up so even though I couldn't delay them once they were active I could just make it so she died before getting a chance to activate too many

I did almost everything worth doing in Atelier Meruru. Missed one ending because the ending requirements guide I was following neglected to mention one part of it and I backed myself into a situation where it was impossible to complete.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I honestly think that the MGS cutscenes that went back to old stock footage were a landmark achievement in video games.

It's also why my favorite steamed hams was the MGS one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8kp3b5h2DY&t=144s

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
There's exclusive stuff to new game plus but if you already did everything that may not appeal

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Want to start a new factorio game and build a thing that works but it's getting a big update by the end of the month.
play harvest!! and then idk creeper world

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

corn in the bible posted:

There's exclusive stuff to new game plus but if you already did everything that may not appeal

Yeah I saw that but I basically never NG+ any game so I immediately wrote it off

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Black August posted:

it's not an rpg but Iji does this really well

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Iji's final boss is bitchin' regardless, like almost Platinum-tier

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Man an Iji remaster that ironed out some things would be amazing.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Optional superbosses own.

Kangaxx, Algalon the Observer, (Bloodborne DLC spoiler) Lawrence, the First Vicar stand out as some memorable ones for me.

The Ships of Legend from AssCreed IV were fun too

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
First impression of Eternal Sonata is that it's very cozy. So far I've met a small town girl who just wants friends cause she's diseased and two big city street urchins just looking to get by. I still have no idea how Chopin could fit into any of this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rarity posted:

First impression of Eternal Sonata is that it's very cozy. So far I've met a small town girl who just wants friends cause she's diseased and two big city street urchins just looking to get by. I still have no idea how Chopin could fit into any of this.

He doesnt in any real capacity and like others said if you can deal with the abominable cutscene direction the games combat is ok enough to probably get you to the end.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Accordion Man posted:

The problem with sticking with Kyros in the end is that the Vendrien Well's Edict was meant to clean the house of Archons. With a conquest in hand, there is no use having beings that could sow discord or create chaos in your domains, and not only does that go wrong but you ascend to a higher being that can use Kyros' own power. You are a major threat and keeping you alive is a risk that is not worth taking.

I do wonder how they justify that choice in the ending though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

eternal sonata rightfully gets some poo poo, but also most of the bad stuff in that game comes towards the end (as it leans more on the chopin bullshit). the first two chapters of that game I actually like a lot

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Samuringa posted:

The problem with sticking with Kyros in the end is that the Vendrien Well's Edict was meant to clean the house of Archons. With a conquest in hand, there is no use having beings that could sow discord or create chaos in your domains, and not only does that go wrong but you ascend to a higher being that can use Kyros' own power. You are a major threat and keeping you alive is a risk that is not worth taking.

I do wonder how they justify that choice in the ending though.
You pretty much just tell Kyros, "Hey boss even though I have the power of Edicts just like you, I'm still completely loyal to you and have no reason to betray you because I'm just happy ruling the land I just conquered under you." Kyros realizes its better not to start poo poo with someone as strong as they are who isn't gonna start anything and just leaves you be as a part of the empire in a bit of an uneasy peace.

There were always supposed to be one Archon standing you just ended up being stronger than expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i missed the start of gdc.... gomen everyone....