Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That old Chinese guy is my spirit animal.

"You want fries with that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
....are those toliets?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dub's Bad Hygiene, very good mod.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Still haven't been sold on that mod, though the sprinkler/fertilizer system looks interesting.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
This is probably getting patched if it becomes more well known.

quote:

Essentially, at –5 cleanliness, there is 5% food poisoning chance, which linearly goes to 0% at... -2 cleanliness. What’s the cleanliness of a dirt floor?

-1. And remember, since trash doesn’t appear on it, nor dirt be tracked onto it, you can maintain this -1 cleanliness without a cleaner – unlike a floored kitchen, where if there is unfloored tile anywhere close, there’s the chance of tracking dirt in. And since often people use rather small kitchens, a single dirt track massively impacts the rooms cleanliness.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nalesh posted:

Still haven't been sold on that mod, though the sprinkler/fertilizer system looks interesting.

It's all great? What do you not like about it?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nalesh posted:

For the extra work, your pawns do get mood bonuses for showering/cleanliness. Whether this is worth the extra time spent trucking to the toilets and showers every day is left as an exercise to the reader, but I personally enjoy it as an all-in-one immersion, HVAC, and irrigation mod.

Heck, you could take the need to poop as a balancing aspect of the ability to add a fertility modifier to any growing zone and have extremely cheap base wide heating and cooling.

Rimfeller and Rimatomics are also good, but I almost think oil is a bit overpowered. I haven't touched the Rimatomics stuff yet, since I am getting by very easily with giant gas generators.

edit: Speaking of oil and getting by easily, an infestation tunneled into my oil field, and blew up everything. This cooked all of the bugs, but also burned all of my reserves and generators. :shepicide:

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 6, 2019

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I guess I'll try it out, though I''m using redistheat for HVAC

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao dirt cant get dirty

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I could never figure out how to get prisoners to use toilets and showers.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Warmachine posted:

Rimfeller and Rimatomics are also good, but I almost think oil is a bit overpowered. I haven't touched the Rimatomics stuff yet, since I am getting by very easily with giant gas generators.

Rimatomics has a really neat research system that I'm liking a lot, but even the most basic tier reactor puts out something like 100k watt-hours. Dude makes cool mods that are the exact opposite of balanced. On the plus side, lasers!?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

There's a Rimlaser mod if you don't want the atomics part. You can change the laser beam colours!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Rimatomics has a really neat research system that I'm liking a lot, but even the most basic tier reactor puts out something like 100k watt-hours. Dude makes cool mods that are the exact opposite of balanced. On the plus side, lasers!?

Yeah, but when you are using Rimfeller as well, it's hard finding a reason to make the jump from oil to nuclear. Large gas generators produce plenty of power themselves, using the chemfuel you refine. Though, given how... explosive it was when the bugs got into it, I'll probably start reactor research soon.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

You know, with how poop actually exists now with bad hygiene, can I chuck said poop at the invaders medieval style?

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, but when you are using Rimfeller as well, it's hard finding a reason to make the jump from oil to nuclear. Large gas generators produce plenty of power themselves, using the chemfuel you refine. Though, given how... explosive it was when the bugs got into it, I'll probably start reactor research soon.

Coat your entire entrance in fuel, master the fire.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 6, 2019

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You could chuck poop at them if you dug it out of an unplumbed latrine. Although to be fair, the colonists don't have a poop meter, just a bladder they relieve.

Really pooping isn't a huge part of the mod, as much as bathing, showering, and providing water to the colony is.+

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Also is there a mod that lets me automate surgeries on a schedule?(Blood vials in this case for vampires)

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Hullo, I'm new to Rimworld and having a blast learning all the fun ways to kill my colony early on.

The OP seems pretty old, is there a good list of quality of life mods to start looking into? I don't want anything crazy just yet, like poo poo and piss management, just whatever is considered essential or useful that doesn't change the vanilla game too much

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

There's some super duper good QOL mods though, because the vanilla game has some pants on head retarded poo poo in it.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761421485 Allow Tool, about 50 valuable extensions to the UI behavior without actually changing game balance at all, if I had to pick just one mod I was allowed to play with it'd be this one
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1539025677 Cut Plants Before Building
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1231617602 Just Ignore Me (allows construction of things like doors without stopping when someone steps through the tile)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=858744731 Reverse Commands (right click context menu extensions, great for things like rescuing downed pawns)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1539028008 Where Is My Weapon? (pawns that drop their weapon will automatically go re-equip it when able - you don't realize just how annoying this is to do without until you try it)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1541439712 Small Shelf (a 1x1 shelf, why isn't this in vanilla :shrug:)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761219125 Defensive Positions, set fixed positions to send defenders to with one keypress, also includes squad membership
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1180718516 Save Storage, Outfit, Crafting, & Drug Settings - because setting up the same standard job bills every time for things like stoves and smelters is not actually gameplay!
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=935982361 Better Workbench Management, allows copying and linking bills between workbenches (e.g. you have 5 tailors, change a bill on one of them and all 5 receive the change)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=945085502 No Default Shelf Storage, so you don't waste haul labor moving inappropriate poo poo onto a new shelf
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=715565817 Medical Tab, lol if you don't have this
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1516158345 Interaction Bubbles, see what they're talking about
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1372003680 Replace Stuff, get rid of vast amounts of busywork when improving constructions
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1414302321 Numbers, a great reporting/finding stuff UI tool
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1542393171 Terrain Zone Selections, will create "flood fill" zone based on terrain type under the mouse
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1117406550 My Little Planet, so you can have a smaller globe with 100% coverage and not take ages to load
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1508850027 RimHUD, see interesting poo poo with less clicks
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1419593453 No Forced Slowdown! So watching that refugee make the run to your gate isn't brutally agonizingly dull!

and none of these really alter vanilla game balance, they just get rid of bullshit or show you more poo poo you could see with more clicks

This is still relevant, I also recommend Colony Manager to remove a lot of micromanagement, it's especially nice for the forestry and lifestock ones. And also Prepare Carefully(On point buy mode instead of freeform), to let you at least choose what your starting animals are gonna be, I recommend two breeding pairs of chickens.

Vicar
Oct 20, 2007

For mods that don't add a lot of new mechanics to the base game, these are my favorites:

Essential:
- EdB Prepare Carefully: Tweak your starting pawns without having to reroll two hundred times to get that perfect mix of skills/traits. Also lets you save a start so you can quickly start over if (when) you gently caress up your first colonies
- Colony Manager: Lets you automate things like chopping down trees, hunting, etc. Removes a lot of boring busywork
- Allow Tool: quickly select all items of a type, haul things urgently, etc.
- While You're Up: makes your pawns haul stuff when able to, e.g. when your miner is done mining halfway across the map he'll bring some ore back with him, rather than just legging it back to the base with an empty inventory

Nice to have:
- RimFridge: so you don't have to make walk in freezers everywhere.
- Realistic Rooms: Turns down the required room sizes so that your pawn's bedrooms can have a more natural size without them complaining about it being cramped (I think without it rooms have to be 6x5 to be "average" sized which feels way too big for a bedroom to me)
- Gear up and Go + Better Pawn Control: Together these let you set up gear sets that they can automatically switch to when you are raided. Very useful as having pawns walk around with armor all the time both slows them down and causes it to degrade, and changing their gear manually whenever you are raided quickly gets boring.
- Extended Storage: Adds more storage furniture like pallets and hampers so your storage areas/freezers don't look like big garbage piles of stuff dropped directly onto the floor.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i still think rimfridge fundamentally alters the game too much

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ShriekingMarxist posted:

Hullo, I'm new to Rimworld and having a blast learning all the fun ways to kill my colony early on.

The OP seems pretty old, is there a good list of quality of life mods to start looking into? I don't want anything crazy just yet, like poo poo and piss management, just whatever is considered essential or useful that doesn't change the vanilla game too much

Also, keep in mind that because of the sheer number and ease of use, "essential" and "useful" are matters of taste. This isn't a Bethesda game where 50% of your play time is actually just installing and debugging mods. I'm running 122 mods right now. Sorting the workshop by most popular and all time (filtered for your version) is a good place to start. Flip through the catalog and subscribe to things you think sound interesting.

I'll contribute one here though: Dub's Mint Menus. A nicer GUI for crafting that gives you more info at a glance when in your workbenches. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1446523594

Couldn't live without that one. I'm really bummed that Help Tab hasn't been updated for 1.0 yet as well. That is an excellent mod if for some reason you can't find something another mod added, since it presented all of the locations a recipe can be made at in its entries.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The reason I haven't added a mod list to the OP is because the answer is almost invariably "just take the first three pages of the most subscribed list on the workshop"

Basically it's hitherto varied based on what updates when, but there's a shitload of options available and almost all of them work together. The game doesn't need any mods to be fun, but you can keep piling on poo poo as far as you want to. It's entirely down to personal taste really.

There's a lot of UI mods but I don't find them necessary, I think it's more if you find yourself wanting a different layout or access to different parts of the UI in different ways, possibly due to mods needing to use them more. Just experiment really with the popular mods and see what sort of thing you like. The piss and poo poo mod isn't even the most anally retentive thing you can get (:v:) in that it's actually pretty lightweight and integrates really well with the rest of the game.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 6, 2019

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

after 820 hours in the vanilla game, the only mod i wish for is one that automates the first 10 minutes

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I ike the Killfeed mod, which lets you more easily keep on top of colonists/hostiles dying, and quickly jump to animals dying from other animals so you can scoop them up and take them back to butcher them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

boar guy posted:

i still think rimfridge fundamentally alters the game too much

Along with stuff like stack mods that I basically won't play without any more, I didn't put in that list because you're right, it alters balance a lot.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Right now, I'd have to say the worst events are psychic drone events. "Ah yes, you just fought off two raids, a mechanoid ship, and everyone is missing pieces. Let me just give half of them a -22 to their mood so you get catatonic breakdowns, people leaving, self-harm..."

gently caress you Randy.

Flesh Forge posted:

Along with stuff like stack mods that I basically won't play without any more, I didn't put in that list because you're right, it alters balance a lot.

I'd say the key to making Rimfridge more than just a neat way to keep meals in the dining room is the relationship to stack mods. Without a stack mod, the fridge is just a 4x4 storage space at best. With something like Ogre, I can hold more than a year worth of food in two of them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That magnifies it, sure, but just things like putting a 1x1 fridge full of 10 upper tier meals in your blinged out dining area saves a vast amount of walking. I mean, I don't CARE that it affects balance but it certainly does, and some people don't want that in their game.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
If I could only have one mod it’d be the no friendly fire one. Pharmacist is nice too.

Unless it’s vanilla the animal armor mod apparently allows animals like my cobra to rock a shield belt. Cobras aren’t tough but they’re cool. Too bad you can’t knit them a nose cap- two of mine have lost their noses to frostbite.

Also I’m sold on body freezers with raider bodies for meat eating pets. Seems like a bug but them eating the clothes while they’re at it helps.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rimfridge turns a 4x4 space into a 2x2 or smaller space for smaller colonies, but it's not like I wasn't making small freezers like that right by my dining room anyway. Autodoor and cooler for a small space works out to have the same effect anyway.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Flesh Forge posted:

That magnifies it, sure, but just things like putting a 1x1 fridge full of 10 upper tier meals in your blinged out dining area saves a vast amount of walking. I mean, I don't CARE that it affects balance but it certainly does, and some people don't want that in their game.

I found that unless you have a very low pop base, a single stack of food in the dining room gets eaten fast enough to make a dining room freezer unnecessary; that just needs a mini shelf (which is technically modded to be fair, but you can probably soak the beauty hit from leaving food on the floor in the dining room). If anything, the Room Food mod is more gameplay changing because it actually makes pawns check the dining room for food instead of the weird grabbing randomly from nearby that vanilla behavior has (which leads to a lot of stomping in and out of the freezer depending on your base layout). Unless your bills are set up for low meal counts I guess, I tend to set them high in case my cook gets busy/incapacitated.

The only places I've really found refrigerators really useful is directly adjacent to the stoves for absolute minimal chef movement, which also can be accomplished with ordinary shelves if you have enough thoroughput or don't mind the occasional stack of raw food decaying. Drug labs are the same, I won't get annoyed by alerts for 3 psychoid leaves decaying while waiting for the next harvest to come in.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Nthing the idea that yeah I could make a mini fridge by the dining room in standard rim world for less resource cost by just setting up a mini room with a cooler. Rim fridge just lets you do it with less time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The last time bugs tunneled into my oil wells, I lost my entire power system because I didn't compartmentalize it. I learned. Now, I can take a leaf from Saddam Hussein's book and light the wells on fire to own the bugs.

:mensch:

edit: Fun fact, according to the internet, Limestone breaks down at 825C. Those tunnels easy reached 2000C.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 7, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What am I supposed to be doing with geothermal plants? Will people attack them? Should I have a vent because it'll get too hot?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could leave the roof off, you don't need one.

People might attack them but generally not that often if you wall them off. You don't need to access them nomally so just double or triple wall them in and put two or three doors on, then if someone really wants to get in, congrats, they're not joining the main raid on your base.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Ya geothermal forts are great. They either get ignored completely, or get assaulted for days on end.

Either way they're fine.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Warmachine posted:

edit: Fun fact, according to the internet, Limestone breaks down at 825C. Those tunnels easy reached 2000C.

Speaking of that, how the hell is limestone's existence justified in this game anyway? I mean, from what I remember these planets were all terraformed by robot probes centuries before the game starts. Limestone is compressed calcium from ancient creature's fossils that they sucked out of an ocean/sea. The limestone in this game should be some calcium compound that you could find naturally, but it wouldn't be limestone.

(yes I know this is :goonsay: as gently caress)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Some calcium compound you say? Bones of the pirates!

I got an 80 tribal raid followed by a 50 pirate siege, my dogs can’t bring in the bodies fast enough.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I've just gotten into Dub's Bad Hygiene myself for my recent runs.

In the scheme of things, it doesn't add much busywork for the pawns at all (the mood boost from showers/baths is probably worth it anyway) and if anything it's OP in some ways.

Like you can turn poo poo into chemfuel with little risk of running out - certainly I have enough surplus that I use it for trade. So really it could possibly use a rebalance, right now it's 2 sewage to 1 chemfuel, maybe 4:1 would be less game-breaking.

Even in the early-game struggle (I still do Naked and Dangerous starts as a default) you can set up a long drop with about the same effort as the other essential basics.

Also some other nice perks like a washing machine to de-taint clothes and the irrigation sprinklers and HVAC capabilities (although it's a bit weird trying to figure out how to use it optimally) are pretty useful too.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

McGiggins posted:

Sounds like the pets served their purpose.

I’m one of the weirdos that gets too attached and freaks out when puppies and kittens start falling in combat. I remember being traumatised in dwarf fortress when a goblin raid killed a cat and the line of kittens following her. It didn’t help that I had a tile set so they were cute little cat sprites :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The most precious treasure are the yorkies. When my yorkie had a litter (in the game) I built them a very high quality living area. The puppies never wanted for anything, but unfortunately they had a predilection for alcohol. By the time they turned 1, a good third of the litter had gone right down the bottle. And the mother just watched.